CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh, we're talking about torture methods?

My coworker insists on talking to me about Destiny 2. He knows I hate Destiny. I've told him repeatedly that I will never play it. You would think the complete lack of interest I show with my body language when he is talking about it would clue him in. Or maybe the utter lack of response I give him when he stops talking. But he keeps doing it, day after day. He tells me how it's so much better than Destiny 1 (it isn't), and how Bungie really listens to their fans (they don't), and how he swears Activision isn't going to rape him this time as a 'thank you' for preordering. He's heard me explain at length why I think they're a horrible publisher, and how anyone that supports Destiny or Activision is essentially completely complicit with getting consumer-fucked, and that he's completely okay with Activision doing the absolute bare minimum for his money, and that they don't respect him. But day after day, this simpleton greets me with all his latest exploits in a game I have never and will never play.

I know he's not trolling me bc he's too dim to pull that off. It's like working with gamer-Forest Gump.

What developers are OK to support in your opinion?

Oh, we're talking about torture methods?

My coworker insists on talking to me about Destiny 2. He knows I hate Destiny. I've told him repeatedly that I will never play it. You would think the complete lack of interest I show with my body language when he is talking about it would clue him in. Or maybe the utter lack of response I give him when he stops talking. But he keeps doing it, day after day. He tells me how it's so much better than Destiny 1 (it isn't), and how Bungie really listens to their fans (they don't), and how he swears Activision isn't going to rape him this time as a 'thank you' for preordering. He's heard me explain at length why I think they're a horrible publisher, and how anyone that supports Destiny or Activision is essentially completely complicit with getting consumer-fucked, and that he's completely okay with Activision doing the absolute bare minimum for his money, and that they don't respect him. But day after day, this simpleton greets me with all his latest exploits in a game I have never and will never play.

I know he's not trolling me bc he's too dim to pull that off. It's like working with gamer-Forest Gump.

If you replaced destiny 2 with halo 5 and 343 with activision/bungie, it would read the same

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ask some programmers there if they think Destiny 2 should be able to run D2 at 60fps on the Xbox One X. I suspect it could, only they won't allow only one console to get 60fps while the others can't. I mean, I was getting 140+ FPS at 1440p FFS. Granted, it's a powerful PC but the power of the Xbox One X is no joke either.

There's no need to ask. It should be able to if they made the effort without issue because PCs that are weaker than the new Xbox can run Destiny at 60+ while running their OS/Chrome etc in the background. They would have to reserve so much of the One X for some weird special dashboard to make it incapable of running D2 at a higher FPS that it wouldn't make any sense.

Now could it do 60 and 4k? No probably not. It might not even be able to run the default Xbox version of D2 at 60 and 1080p but it most definitely can if they decided to optimize for that. I don't think you'll ever see a solid 60 FPS though on console. It can't handle too many AI spawns in certain areas along with the particle effects from explosions. I've had D2 running at a solid 5 FPS using my ult while people were firing rockets on public events. I suspect this is why they locked at 30.

I'm just baffled at how they thought BR starts with Gunfighters was a good idea. Literally. Like, I played two games of this shit and had bullets in bursts dropping, or I got killed by bullshit sweep shotting which should never happen. Then you have the useless Gunfighter which can't compete worth dick against someone unless they're already down shots, since the BR's super easy in comparison, and always WILL be. I then played Warzone, where I actually (IRONICALLY) felt like I was in control of my fucking weapon when I used the Magnum. Yunno, shots go where they should, it's precise. It also felt skillful to get a perfect. Who'd have thunk it. It should take one game for them to know why BR starts are a shitty idea, even outside of this game. I don't get why they pushed it for BTB despite it obviously being shit, and are now pushing it for official settings and (presumably) the next game.

A single shot weapon for the utility was the best idea they had. And all they needed to do with balance was nerf nades, nerf autos and buff precision weapon's damage, while nerfing their ease of use. That's all they needed to do. I don't get why they're somehow fucking up the core of the game (What weapons you start with) now. It's baffling and infuriating when you can think of 16 ways the process of making your game better could've been easier, without sacrificing an already good part of your game, gameplay wise.

Thanks for listening to our two years of feedback, Brick Wall. We love ya.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean, my true question at the moment is:

If they're in the process of re-tuning all of these weapons and making test playlists for them... Why haven't they even entertained the idea of a 4 shot pistol? 

I never really understood the logic 343 has gone with this game lol... They just dance in circles around the true problem, and that's a very ineffective utility weapon and instead of addressing that problem, they spend years re-balancing the annoyingly complex sandbox. Making the pistol a 4 shot honestly resolves a monstrosity of issues in one fell swoop. There would still be some lingering issues, sure, but that would clear a ton of them very quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 7

If they're in the process of re-tuning all of these weapons and making test playlists for them... Why haven't they even entertained the idea of a 4 shot pistol? 

I never really understood the logic 343 has gone with this game lol... They just dance in circles around the true problem, and that's a very ineffective utility weapon and instead of addressing that problem, they spend years re-balancing the annoyingly complex sandbox. Making the pistol a 4 shot honestly resolves a monstrosity of issues in one fell swoop. There would still be some lingering issues, sure, but that would clear a ton of them very quickly.

Easy to answer. That would require them admitting that their plethora of redundant weapons were a mistake and would effectively eliminate most desires to drop a pistol for one of them. They want to continue to tinker with all of them in the hope that they all have their own special little niche and players will try to pick them up all the time as some type of tactical decision. Unfortunately that doesn't happen unless they're all straight upgrades in some kind of situation and typically that means the situation also needs to occur frequently enough to warrant preparing for by attempting to pick up the weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What developers are OK to support in your opinion?

Most developers are fine to support or partially support (buy their game, but don't give them a dime in microtransactions and other bullshit).

I have a lot of hate for AAA developers in general, but the only companies I outright condemn are Microsoft, EA, and Activision, for their constant and absurd levels of consumer abuse.  If the developer isn't one of them they're probably at least acceptable to support.

Indie developers in general should be supported.  Yeah occasionally you get pieces of shit like Sergei Titov or Sean Murray who constantly release never-to-be-finished games as a quick cash grab, but other than that you have fine developers like re-logic who really go above and beyond expectations.

AAA developers with some modicum of integrity (Coalition) or originality (FromSoft) should be supported.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most developers are fine to support or partially support (buy their game, but don't give them a dime in microtransactions and other bullshit).

I have a lot of hate for AAA developers in general, but the only companies I outright condemn are Microsoft, EA, and Activision, for their constant and absurd levels of consumer abuse.  If the developer isn't one of them they're probably at least acceptable to support.

Indie developers in general should be supported.  Yeah occasionally you get pieces of shit like Sergei Titov or Sean Murray who constantly release never-to-be-finished games as a quick cash grab, but other than that you have fine developers like re-logic who really go above and beyond expectations.

AAA developers with some modicum of integrity (Coalition) or originality (FromSoft) should be supported.

Seems like the real answer is probably just "Buy games you enjoy" sure you can try to take a stand and cut your nose off to spite your face but most everyone else is going to continue doing things that they enjoy. The only way enough people boycott a certain game is if it actually just blows (like MCC.) Its the same the other way around just because you love the guys that make Dark Souls (or any other cool game) you probably shouldn't throw money at them just because of that. Just buy the games you like and leave it there. Its the clearest way to support what you do or do not want.

This. I'd say it takes at least 30 adjustments/overhauls to completely fix this mess of a sandbox, but if we respect the 80/20 rule and go for the most important stuff first, we see that the majority of the problems could have been fixed with just a few adjustments:

1) 4sk pistol. Maybe with a slightly lower RoF to compensate. This immediately fixed the problem of the linear-upgrade sandbox, puts the rifles in check and helps combat the OPness of automatic weapons and explosives. Also helps with the constant reloading and running out of ammo.

2) Remove all ADS bonuses from automatic weapons. Namely the AR, SMG and SAW. These weapons were turned from CQB niche weapons into mid-range monsters with this change and it basically makes it impossible to balance these weapons as they now fill multiple roles depending on whether you are scoped in or not. Terrible design.

3) Massive aim assist and bullet magnetism nerf on Sniper weapons and the Railgun. I have no idea why these "precision weapons" are now easier to use than most automatics were in previous Halo games. Just a dumb move overall and it lead to shit like scope glint being added to Sniper Rifles. Ugh.

So there we go. Adjust a few values on a small number of weapons and we immediately have a game that is more balanced, finally rewards skillful weapon usage and is more in line with proven design choices of previous Halo games (concept of a utility weapon, skill vs damage output ratio, etc.)

• Upvote (+1) 4

My controversial opinion: Halo reach was better than everything 343 have made. At least i had fun in Reach.

Flame shield on

You objectively can't have fun at 30 frames per second so you are wrong and I don't accept your standards of fun.

• Upvote (+1) 9

This. I'd say it takes at least 30 adjustments/overhauls to completely fix this mess of a sandbox, but if we respect the 80/20 rule and go for the most important stuff first, we see that the majority of the problems could have been fixed with just a few adjustments:

1) 4sk pistol. Maybe with a slightly lower RoF to compensate. This immediately fixed the problem of the linear-upgrade sandbox, puts the rifles in check and helps combat the OPness of automatic weapons and explosives. Also helps with the constant reloading and running out of ammo.

2) Remove all ADS bonuses from automatic weapons. Namely the AR, SMG and SAW. These weapons were turned from CQB niche weapons into mid-range monsters with this change and it basically makes it impossible to balance these weapons as they now fill multiple roles depending on whether you are scoped in or not. Terrible design.

3) Massive aim assist and bullet magnetism nerf on Sniper weapons and the Railgun. I have no idea why these "precision weapons" are now easier to use than most automatics were in previous Halo games. Just a dumb move overall and it lead to shit like scope glint being added to Sniper Rifles. Ugh.

So there we go. Adjust a few values on a small number of weapons and we immediately have a game that is more balanced, finally rewards skillful weapon usage and is more in line with proven design choices of previous Halo games (concept of a utility weapon, skill vs damage output ratio, etc.)

These are pretty fair assessments, I'd say... while I've been pretty okay with the automatic scoping in the past (I haven't personally seen it as THAT big of an issue), I could definitely get behind these... although I do think the 5sk Magnum feels fantastic as it is.

What makes it weird to me is that the DMR is also a 5sk... You have this big "tank" of a rifle doing essentially the same damage-output as a pistol... where if it was say a much slower RoF, 3sk "mini-sniper" style of weapon, a higher RoF 5sk starting sidearm starts to make a lot more sense and feel a lot less redundant.

My controversial opinion: Halo reach was better than everything 343 have made. At least i had fun in Reach.

Flame shield on

I agree with you man. Even though default Reach was really bad, it still felt like Halo and I played the hell out of it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

These are pretty fair assessments, I'd say... while I've been pretty okay with the automatic scoping in the past (I haven't personally seen it as THAT big of an issue), I could definitely get behind these... although I do think the 5sk Magnum feels fantastic as it is.

What makes it weird to me is that the DMR is also a 5sk... You have this big "tank" of a rifle doing essentially the same damage-output as a pistol... where if it was say a much slower RoF, 3sk "mini-sniper" style of weapon, a higher RoF 5sk starting sidearm starts to make a lot more sense and feel a lot less redundant.

Sidearm

sidearm

sidearm in halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Flame shield on

I don't think thats controversial at all.

343i have made  Halo 4, MCC and Halo 5.

Halo 4 was barely a Halo game and removed so many features from Halo Reach is was ridiculous. Forge sucked and custom game options were limited. MP was a shambles and had ridiculous balance issues at launch. (Remember Exile and Blue Teams Gausshog that made them win 80% of games)

MCC didn't, and still doesn't, work.

Halo 5 is better than Halo 4, and it worked at Launch, but there so many stupid issues with the sandbox and map design that its hard to praise it for being anything other than "just average I guess". Forge and custom games are pretty fucking cool though.

Reach had a kickass campaign, the best BTB, some cool maps, awesome custom games and lots of customization.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think thats controversial at all.

343i have made Halo 4, MCC and Halo 5.

Halo 4 was barely a Halo game and removed so many features from Halo Reach is was ridiculous. Forge sucked and custom game options were limited. MP was a shambles and had ridiculous balance issues at launch. (Remember Exile and Blue Teams Gausshog that made them win 80% of games)

MCC didn't, and still doesn't, work.

Halo 5 is better than Halo 4, and it worked at Launch, but there so many stupid issues with the sandbox and map design that its hard to praise it for being anything other than "just average I guess". Forge and custom games are pretty fucking cool though.

Reach had a kickass campaign, the best BTB, some cool maps, awesome custom games and lots of customization.

Don't forget the ui. That was amazing stuff.

https://www.google.no/search?q=halo+reach+UI&rlz=1CDGOYI_enNO761NO761&hl=nb&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHm66h9ZjWAhUlIpoKHfmFAuUQ_AUICSgB&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=BTPDDRMwS7OfvM:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flame shield on

This is kind of a catch-22. Most of the things I really liked about Reach (TU BTB, MLG v7, GoldPro and Anniversary Classic) were made by no other than 343. I mean don't get me wrong, Campaign, Firefight and Invasion were cool, the customization is the best one we've ever had and Forge and all the community custom games are only surpassed by H5. But without the Title Update and CEA, Reach would have been almost as terrible as H4 in my eyes and I would have barely played it.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is kind of a catch-22. Most of the things I really liked about Reach (TU BTB, MLG v7, GoldPro and Anniversary Classic) were made by no other than 343. I mean don't get me wrong, Campaign, Firefight and Invasion were cool, the customization is the best one we've ever had and Forge and all the community custom games are only surpassed by H5. But without the Title Update and CEA, Reach would have been almost as terrible as H4 in my eyes and I would have barely played it.

I can see your point. Armor lock and Bloom was pure BS, And some of the maps was...not good. I think the game would've benefit if Title update was there from the start

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember really liking 343 in their early years. Back when all they did was make Reach DLC, release updated versions of older novels, and when their original content consisted of stuff like Evolutions, Legends, and Cryptum. Back then, the only thing I really hated from them was Glasslands. That, and their unwillingness to make the TU standard across the board, instead of creating 4 different Halo Reaches.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember really liking 343 in their early years. Back when all they did was make Reach DLC, release updated versions of older novels, and when their original content consisted of stuff like Evolutions, Legends, and Cryptum. Back then, the only thing I really hated from them was Glasslands. That, and their unwillingness to make the TU standard across the board, instead of creating 4 different Halo Reaches.

Man I feel you on all these points. Early 343 made me hopeful, especially after Bungie shit the bed with Reach. Many people, including me were in full honeymoon, even though stuff like the TU not being across the board, MLG staying unranked while the only ranked playlist had terrible settings, them taking out Squad Slayer and other community favorites should have been some major red flags.

So many people were hyped for H4, despite the pre-launch footage being pure garbage and that gameinformer leak telling us that it was going to be a CoD clone. I mean people had shit like this in their sigs on THC:

sigpic28_6.gif

Oh man.

Needless to say this hype quickly turned into a deep hatred

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man I feel you on all these points. Early 343 made me hopeful, especially after Bungie shit the bed with Reach. Many people, including me were in full honeymoon, even though stuff like the TU not being across the board, MLG staying unranked while the only ranked playlist had terrible settings, them taking out Squad Slayer and other community favorites should have been some major red flags.

So many people were hyped for H4, despite the pre-launch footage being pure garbage and that gameinformer leak telling us that it was going to be a CoD clone. I mean people had shit like this in their sigs on THC:

sigpic28_6.gif

Oh man.

Needless to say this hype quickly turned into a deep hatred

I'd say that 343 is better suited for supplementing the Halo universe instead of continuing it, but honestly, they haven't had the most stellar track record with extended media recently. Kilo-5 sparked a goddamn uproar in the community, Nightfall was absolute shit, and just about every novel and comic book series they've released since then has been absolutely soulless. Halo: Fractures was built up to be Evolutions 2, but most of the short "stories" ended up being preview chapters for upcoming novels.

I'd say that 343 is better suited for supplementing the Halo universe instead of continuing it, but honestly, they haven't had the most stellar track record with extended media recently. Kilo-5 sparked a goddamn uproar in the community, Nightfall was absolute shit, and just about every novel and comic book series they've released since then has been absolutely soulless. Halo: Fractures was built up to be Evolutions 2, but most of the short "stories" ended up being preview chapters for upcoming novels.

Heh, I liked fractures for Its Forerunner stories. Epilogue was quiet good