CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Lemme guess. Twitter trash talk and spicy memes?

I have elevated the HCS Thread far above such banalities. It has transcended the spicy memes and roster gossip reality it recently occupied.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have elevated the HCS Thread far above such banalities. It has transcended the spicy memes and roster gossip reality it recently occupied.

Congrats on your first internet troll.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Lemme guess. Twitter trash talk and spicy memes?

arg is trolling people saying the human eye can't see above 24 fps and that he bought a 24 Hz monitor to save resources. They are actually falling for it, it's pretty hilarious to watch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

On topic: Anyone else feel like H5 is just one step away from becoming MCC level broken? I am completely serious about this. Yes MCC has a fair share of problems and crazy glitches, but H5 is not that far off. In very similar fashion to MCC, I have to QTB at least twice an hours because the menus will freeze, joining people after inviting is about 50/50 and the game literally freezes for a second whenever someone quits or joins a match, which makes me question whether or not we are actually playing on dedicated servers. And let's not even talk about the quality of those "servers" and the REQ service that is down almost as much as XBL itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On topic: Anyone else feel like H5 is just one step away from becoming MCC level broken? I am completely serious about this. Yes MCC has a fair share of problems and crazy glitches, but in H5 I have to QTB at least twice an hours because the menus will freeze, joining people after inviting is about 50/50 and the game literally freezes for a second whenever someone quits or joins a match. And let's not even talk about the servers and the REQ service that is down almost as much as XBL itself.

Dunno. The only issue I have is that you can't get invites to work via the jewel button. You have to back out of mm first, wait a tic, then send/accept the invite. That might even be an Xbox thing idk.

I wouldn't say I have to qtb much at all

Not sure. I think the most comparable issues would be people not finding games or getting disconnected constantly, but I think a lot of that was location and rank related where as the MCC issues were affecting everyone.

The freezing issues are minor annoyances for me. I usually wait it out since the menu freezing usually only lasts around 10-20 seconds. I haven't experienced the REQ's going down for a couple months although it is a pain when they do go down. The servers are laggy trash so I do agree there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That anecdote was like one of those over the top greentext stories you read where you're like "this has to be fake, no way" exactly because of how over the top it is.

Except I actually believe it because hell, 343i and Microsoft have shown me any level of incompetence is feasible.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

.  When we asked what the deal was with control settings and everything, he told us "No one could use their own controllers, and everyone had to use the same control settings, unless you wanted inverted."  He claimed the goal was to have the most even playing field, and said to me "What's wrong, you're not confident enough in your skills that you can't beat everyone without perfect control settings?"  

As we're getting settled, they announce that we CAN in fact use our own controllers, and the guy who told us otherwise basically said he was trying to scare everyone. 

Holy fuck thats stupidly bad,

On topic: Anyone else feel like H5 is just one step away from becoming MCC level broken? I am completely serious about this. Yes MCC has a fair share of problems and crazy glitches, but H5 is not that far off. In very similar fashion to MCC, I have to QTB at least twice an hours because the menus will freeze, joining people after inviting is about 50/50 and the game literally freezes for a second whenever someone quits or joins a match, which makes me question whether or not we are actually playing on dedicated servers. And let's not even talk about the quality of those "servers" and the REQ service that is down almost as much as XBL itself.

Yup. Tried to play for the first time in months this weekend. Friday night only had 2 in the party and it wasn't too bad, but last night had a full lobby of 8 to play random custom mini games and we gave up after only playing (or attempting to play) for about an hour. Menu lag was awful and people were constantly getting dashboarded. Probably the last time that disk will see the inside of my Xbox. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That anecdote was like one of those over the top greentext stories you read where you're like "this has to be fake, no way" exactly because of how over the top it is.

Except I actually believe it because hell, 343i and Microsoft have shown me any level of incompetence is feasible.

accidental neg
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Those MSFT store tournaments seem to be wildly inconsistent. Some people report great experiences and others have travesties like the one above.

It really seems like there needs to be some standardised level of quality control...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Those MSFT store tournaments seem to be wildly inconsistent. Some people report great experiences and others have travesties like the one above.

It really seems like there needs to be some standardised level of quality control...

Are you talking about the tournaments or Halo 5? HEYOOO!

I was at King of Prussia and felt that, aside from the Multiteam screwup (which was fixed), it went ok. You have to realize these employees don't give a shit about Halo or perhaps even gaming. I found them extremely kind and accommodating to our requests. They let a friend and I 1v1 on the extra stations while other rounds were going on, they really did want to provide the best experience they could even if it was obvious they didn't know anything about Halo and not much about games in general.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was at King of Prussia and felt that, aside from the Multiteam screwup (which was fixed), it went ok. You have to realize these employees don't give a shit about Halo or perhaps even gaming. I found them extremely kind and accommodating to our requests. They let a friend and I 1v1 on the extra stations while other rounds were going on, they really did want to provide the best experience they could even if it was obvious they didn't know anything about Halo and not much about games in general.

It is definitely store specific as well. I'm UK so can't go but a buddy of mine went and really enjoyed. A few issues about lag spikes etc but said it went really well.

When we asked what the deal was with control settings and everything, he told us "No one could use their own controllers, and everyone had to use the same control settings, unless you wanted inverted."  He claimed the goal was to have the most even playing field

Oddly enough, this actually happened to me at a Halo Reach Gamestop launch tournament. I couldn't switch to bumper jumper or my look sensitivity and we were playing 1v1s on Boneyard. Yes, with the tanks, banshees, etc. I destroyed everyone there but got second because I played some kid that grabbed the tank because he spawned right next to it when the match started and he proceeded to screenwatch the hell out of me lol. Was literally nothing I could do because I had no idea where the plasma pistols and stuff were on launch day lol. The kid was so bad to because he was up 10-0 and once I killed him, the score ended up 10-9 because he hid and let the time run out and I didn't know where anything was on that big ass map.  :laughing:

I didn't go to this tournament to win prizes.  I've got an Xbox One X preordered already, I've got every REQ I can unlock unlocked, and 550k REQ points I can't do anything with.  I went there to play local Halo, something I haven't been able to do in years

Bible Fucking Thump dude... I don't know about you guys but this was the part that had me in the feels.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Response to the upcoming weapon balance in other parts of the Internet: "I blame HCS." "Why does every playlist need to be like the HCS."

JFC, fuck off.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Don't worry guys.  H5 will be saved.  Microsoft confirmed keyboard and mouse support for Xbox.  So when the Xbox One X version of Halo 5 goes free to play along with the full same version on PC, they'll be able to cross plat because Xbox supports Keyboard and mouse.....

:intel:  :weback:  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Don't worry guys.  H5 will be saved.  Microsoft confirmed keyboard and mouse support for Xbox. 

Article for anyone interested: https://www.pcmag.com/news/356010/microsoft-confirms-xbox-one-will-get-keyboard-and-mouse-supp

"multiplayer will also require giving the player the choice of only playing against others using the same control method. That way no one player gets an advantage simply by using one input method over the other."

I wonder how they're going to handle this. Could potentially be a disaster or really cool. I imagine it will be disabled in most exisiting games because developers don't want to go through the hassle of adding M+KB support and options, so this feature will only be included with games releasing 2018 and onward.

So when the Xbox One X version of Halo 5 goes free to play along with the full same version on PC, they'll be able to cross plat because Xbox supports Keyboard and mouse.....

I've though about this before. Instead of splitting populations by platform, we should split them by input method. Controller players on PC (these people exist lol) can match with console players using a controller, and M+KB players on both platforms can play with each other. Could even be extended to PS4, I see neither the Xbox nor the PS4 controller giving any sort of advantage over the other tbh.

This split could be disabled in stuff like Co-op Campaign, Firefight, Action Sack, Race and Grifball as it really doesn't matter there. Could potentially be really cool to play with friends on different platforms that refuse to switch. The only obstacles I see are:

• People using XIM adapters to use M+KB. I imagine quite a few dickheads will keep using them even after official M+KB support is added because they also want to benefit from controller aim assist and shit on controller players.
  • XBL Gold. No one on PC will be willing to pay for this trash service that should have been free for many years now. So obsolete to pay a fee just to play a game online when I can play literally the same thing for free on PC. And don't tell me Microsoft uses that money to fund dedicated servers for Halo 5 and MCC. So Microsoft will either have to cut it, make people on PC pay for XBL Gold which will kill this whole idea quicker than Kevin Franklin can ruin a franchise or they will make it free on PC, but still cost on console which is odd .
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I've got my fingers crossed that Bonnie comes through on her H6 LAN promise and the grass roots scene shows 343/M$/ESL how a tournament scene should actually be ran.

This is assuming Halo 6 will be a functional, complete and decent game.

Which it won't be.

• Upvote (+1) 6