CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm a forger and I think any settings that include an automatic as a starting weapon are stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Sounds like perfectly normal behavior for any For Chub denizen to me.

Extended Mag-num. No secondary. This is not a complicated question at all.

Be serious though...

The main playlists in H3 had a secondary.

They aren't going to have a community playlist that tries to emulate mlg settings. Naturally, they are going to try to emulate the H3 that most people played, within the confines of the sandbox we have now.

Be serious though...

They aren't going to have a community playlist that tries to emulate mlg settings. Naturally, they are going to try to emulate the H3 that most people played, within the confines of the sandbox we have now.

I am serious, though. The only rationale available for emulating garbage settings is nostalgia. That's not a good reason. The notion that simply having precision weapon starts somehow makes it "MLG" is ridiculous. Halo plays like ass without precision starts. We have a decade and a half of evidence to support this fact. Of all of the things to recreate from Halo 3, the default starting weapons shouldn't even be on the list.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am serious, though. The only rationale available for emulating garbage settings is nostalgia. That's not a good reason. The notion that simply having precision weapon starts somehow makes it "MLG" is ridiculous. Halo plays like ass without precision starts. We have a decade and a half of evidence to support this fact. Of all of the things to recreate from Halo 3, the default starting weapons shouldn't even be on the list.

The whole entire point of a retro playlist is nostalgia...

No one who played halo 3 played precision starts unless they were playing mlg (or swat) . How is that ridiculous at all?

We can all agree here that precision starts is "better". But the fact is the mast majority of halos playerbase has never played that way and most people looking forward to the playlist want it to be close to what they remembered.

>Trying to make a playlist that feels like Halo 3.

>Trying to make a playlist with actually good settings.

Pick one.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Pick one.

If you are going to make an h3 playlist - it should play like the h3 people remember. obviously people enjoyed the settings - the game was a juggernaut for 3 years.

Ofcourse all of this could have been settled with an h3a...

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm a forger and I think any settings that include an automatic as a starting weapon are stupid.

#NotAllForgers

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have you ever tried actually using it? The suppressor is more effective.

Yes,I find that I can actually beat automatics with it without needing to get a perfect and hope the auto user chokes.It's also less punishing when you miss shots.

How is it the weakest weapon in the entire game?It has a faster ttk than the magnum if I remember correctly.

Pretty sure it has identical ttk as the magnum but it's a 6sk. Same mag size, less auto aim,no zoom.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should give us an SMG variant with no zoom and the standard or tactical magnum to replicate the OP ness of the H3 AR at close range. The H5 AR will dominate at all ranges and the gunfighter mangum is so thrash it might as well not exist.

The whole entire point of a retro playlist is nostalgia...

No one who played halo 3 played precision starts unless they were playing mlg (or swat) . How is that ridiculous at all?

We can all agree here that precision starts is "better". But the fact is the mast majority of halos playerbase has never played that way and most people looking forward to the playlist want it to be close to what they remembered.

Ehhh I'm not sure you're being completely fair about most people never playing that way. People constantly vetoed for BRs in H3 in Slayer and doubles in a world where their AR was neigh useless unless you were close and surprised someone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Be serious though...

It doesn't have to emulate the MLG settings. All of the default playlists had a BR Start/AR Secondary gametype.

And just as Snipe Three just said, I would say 1/100 games did AR start not get vetoed (or contrastingly, BR Starts getting vetoed because they knew AR starts were next in the rotation).

Ehhh I'm not sure you're being completely fair about most people never playing that way. People constantly vetoed for BRs in H3 in Slayer and doubles in a world where their AR was neigh useless unless you were close and surprised someone.

I'm think being fair. What do you think the ratio would be for the 3 years post launch- games played precision only vs games played with standard settings?

All Biases aside (I prefer precision only)- If you have one opportunity to recapture a game, why wouldn't you try to Mimick said game as most people remembered it? People remember H3 fondly- And we perceived as flaws isn't neccisarily how the masses felt.

Keep in mind, the veto-tendencies you experienced in your lobbies varied across skill levels.

I'm think being fair. What do you think the ratio would be for the 3 years post launch- games played precision only vs games played with standard settings?

All Biases aside (I prefer precision only)- If you have one opportunity to recapture a game, why wouldn't you try to Mimick said game as people remembered it? People remember H3 fondly. And we perceived as flaws isn't neccisarily how the masses felt.

VETO FOR BRS didn't become a thing just because a tiny group of people preferred it. It's not necessarily some 80/20 split I imagine it's closer to 50/50 than you think. And a lot of people that like AR starts wouldn't even really know the difference if it was BR starts because they just play whatever.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

VETO FOR BRS didn't become a thing just because a tiny group of people preferred it. It's not necessarily some 80/20 split I imagine it's closer to 50/50 than you think. And a lot of people that like AR starts wouldn't even really know the difference if it was BR starts because they just play whatever.

What are you basing this assumption on? people that wanted BR had a preference, and everyone else had no preference at all? You aren't even going to acknowledge that they might prefer it this way?

What do you think the ratio is in H5?

What do you think the ratio was across the entirety of H3 playlists?

I'm not arguing demand for precision starts was non-existent or even insignificant - but to argue that it was 50/50 is a stretch IMO.

To Argue that it's even close to 50/50 among people who play H5 isn't even more of a stretch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have no idea what the statistical data would show, but I do know from like the 20 different accounts I played and got 50s on because I was bored, that after like Level 10, almost every single game was BR start because people refused to play with AR start.

I would say if you take in the entire Halo populace and quantify how much they voted against AR start/Played BR start, it would show BR start about 4:1; and the only reason I have it that low would be because of Social Slayer (the most populated playlist) in which at times there would be players with a bunch of guest who simply didn't veto anything.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All Biases aside (I prefer precision only)- If you have one opportunity to recapture a game, why wouldn't you try to Mimick said game as most people remembered it? People remember H3 fondly- And we perceived as flaws isn't neccisarily how the masses felt.

Keep in mind, the veto-tendencies you experienced in your lobbies varied across skill levels.

It doesn't matter how the majority of people remember it. The thing about nostalgia is that it often doesn't last. Nostalgia gets people in, but a compelling experience keeps them in.

The simple fact of the matter is that forcing AR + nerfed magnum starts in a mode without thrust being there to mitigate the ridiculous bullet magnetism is a recipe for disaster. Here's another fact that's been the case since 2001: dominant precision starts make for a more compelling experience. This is true without even considering the danger of snowballing in the form of functional precision upgrades, which is already a problem in default Halo 5 with a Magnum that actually has a scope.

Look. I can respect your posts as an attempt to preserve objectivity on behalf of people who may possibly have a different opinion from us in this situation. But let's not use the current ignorance of some to justify the future suffering of all. At the very least, I don't think you have the evidence you say that more than 50% were fond of AR starts in H3 or would even prefer that today. The best you can say is that it's disputed, and at that point I would argue that a pragmatic discussion about optimizing the fun in these settings is the only worthwhile thing to do here.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think it's just another attempt by 343 to implement a "classic" playlist and have it die, just so that they can continue to hold the stigma:

"Well guys, looks like classic Halo just isn't popular anymore."

What are you basing this assumption on? people that wanted BR had a preference, and everyone else had no preference at all? You aren't even going to acknowledge that they might prefer it this way?

What do you think the ratio is in H5?

What do you think the ratio was across the entirety of H3 playlists?

I'm not arguing demand for precision starts was non-existent or even insignificant - but to argue that it was 50/50 is a stretch IMO.

To Argue that it's even close to 50/50 among people who play H5 isn't even more of a stretch.

Its hard to accurately discuss what the split really was. I can safely say after boosting a bunch of accounts that the middle to upper tier of players VASTLY preferred BR starts but below that I can't really say due to leaving those ranks quickly 

I have no idea what the statistical data would show, but I do know from like the 20 different accounts I played and got 50s on because I was bored, that after like Level 10, almost every single game was BR start because people refused to play with AR start.

I would say if you take in the entire Halo populace and quantify how much they voted against AR start/Played BR start, it would show BR start about 4:1; and the only reason I have it that low would be because of Social Slayer (the most populated playlist) in which at times there would be players with a bunch of guest who simply didn't veto anything.

I'd wager that higher level players were much more likely to vote that way than lower level and social players...

Lower level and social players greatly outnumbered higher level players.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't matter how the majority of people remember it. The thing about nostalgia is that it often doesn't last. Nostalgia gets people in, but a compelling experience keeps them in.

The simple fact of the matter is that forcing AR + nerfed magnum starts in a mode without thrust being there to mitigate the ridiculous bullet magnetism is a recipe for disaster. Here's another fact that's been the case since 2001: dominant precision starts make for a more compelling experience. This is true without even considering the danger of snowballing in the form of functional precision upgrades, which is already a problem in default Halo 5 with a Magnum that actually has a scope.

Look. I can respect your posts as an attempt to preserve objectivity on behalf of people who may possibly have a different opinion from us in this situation. But let's not use the current ignorance of some to justify the future suffering of all. At the very least, I don't think you have the evidence you say that more than 50% were fond of AR starts in H3 or would even prefer that today. The best you can say is that it's disputed, and at that point I would argue that a pragmatic discussion about optimizing the fun in these settings is the only worthwhile thing to do here.

The problem with this post is that what is "fun" is purely subjective. The concept of "compelling" is also subjective. Because precison starts is more compelling and fun to you, doesn't meant that is the case for existing players, or that it was the case for half of halo3's population. Or the case for H5's remaining population. In fact, playlist populations suggest otherwise.

You can't even argue that a majority of people didn't find h3's standard secondaries compelling.

If you want to label someone's preference as "ignorance" simply because they don't share your opinion on what makes a compelling experience, then you are simply unable to shed your biases- which is something 343 should be doing. (Not that they are great at it either)

The settings that were chosen as standard, time and time again, with 15 years of MP data collection suggest some sort of community affinity towards having auto secondary.

The H3 community playlist isn't intended to "last". It's intended to be a temporary throwback in the memory of H3. And even if "lasting" was a goal, there's no indication that having standard H3 settings would prevent it from doing so.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will only play the new h3 playlist if indeed they add a BR with shots that spread. Only thing I care about. They better get that spread right.             OvlIfqZ.png

I think it's just another attempt by 343 to implement a "classic" playlist and have it die, just so that they can continue to hold the stigma:

"Well guys, looks like classic Halo just isn't popular anymore."

The truth hurts bad sometimes, and that post spoke the truth.

Pick one.

h3 sucks, you know my pick. 343 are idiots. If they wanted a classic settings playlist, they should have just used evolved settings. Already tested and in existence...........................................
  • Upvote (+1) 1