CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

They're both kind of ugly in their own way to be honest.  Truth has too much odd lighting, Heretic is just extremely bland with its (lack of) color variety and layout.  I.e. everything is a dull dark purple except for the floor which is grey.

I like CEA's version of Damnation.  Everything is fairly bright and easy to see and tell apart, yet there's a lot of visual variety as well.  That's the art direction I think they should take.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is anyone in favor of keeping the Gungoose in Halo? If so, could you tell me why.

Is anyone in favor of keeping the Gungoose in Halo? If so, could you tell me why.

It's a fairly unique, pretty fun to use vehicle that is entirely optional and has campaign benefits.

I see no reason to remove it.

It's a fairly unique, pretty fun to use vehicle that is entirely optional and has campaign benefits.

I see no reason to remove it.

I meant in multiplayer specifically. The Ghost has frontal weapons but can't transport an objective carrier. The Mongoose has no weapons but can transport an objective carrier. Does the Gungoose render the Ghost obsolete in many scenarios?

I meant in multiplayer specifically. The Ghost has frontal weapons but can't transport an objective carrier. The Mongoose has no weapons but can transport an objective carrier. Does the Gungoose render the Ghost obsolete in many scenarios?

All I know is that I just hate the gungoose.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No.  You have to consider that the Ghost has far more maneuverability both in and out of combat.  The current gungoose has more firepower but is much easier to counter, so it's not just a direct upgrade to the Ghost.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Aside from the fact that i think the carbine and the bases are worse than midship, the color of the map is hideous. One ultra shiny and bright purple. It's trash

If you think of Heretic as "ultra shiny and bright purple thrash" then what do you think about Truth?

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. You have to consider that the Ghost has far more maneuverability both in and out of combat. The current gungoose has more firepower but is much easier to counter, so it's not just a direct upgrade to the Ghost.

In my experiance Gungoose is way better than the ghost

• Upvote (+1) 1

In my experiance Gungoose is way better than the ghost

The Ghost doesn't have a buddy riding with a precision weapon that can clean up one shots for him. Or a buddy with a Plasma Pistol that can EMP vehicles for him. Or a buddy with any number of weapons that give the vehicle a greater advantage than a Ghost which has has one fixed weapon.

The Ghost doesn't have a buddy riding with a precision weapon that can clean up one shots for him. Or a buddy with a Plasma Pistol that can EMP vehicles for him. Or a buddy with any number of weapons that give the vehicle a greater advantage than a Ghost which has has one fixed weapon.

Ghost doesn't have 1 shot kill capabilities either (not including splatter)

They're both kind of ugly in their own way to be honest. Truth has too much odd lighting, Heretic is just extremely bland with its (lack of) color variety and layout. I.e. everything is a dull dark purple except for the floor which is grey.

I like CEA's version of Damnation. Everything is fairly bright and easy to see and tell apart, yet there's a lot of visual variety as well. That's the art direction I think they should take.

I would like Reach's colours with Halo 3's geometry.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you think of Heretic as "ultra shiny and bright purple thrash" then what do you think about Truth?

I like truths colorway. I just wish pink was more pink

People forget how much blue there is on midship

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like truths colorway. I just wish pink was more pink

People forget how much blue there is on midship

All the colours on Truth blend together unless they want them to glare out at you. It's the Fan4stic of Midship maps, the blues of truth are so similar to any gray the grey might as well be blue.

At least all the individual colours on Heretic pop and are distinct.

Absofuckinglutely. No game, I'd argue, has the complete package of Halo 3. Look at how completely different even the UNSC maps are. Rats Nest to Orbital look completely different yet both make sense and are both human styled maps. The Pit looks completely different than either of those. And Longshore different than that. And Last Resort different than that.

Same goes for the Forerunner. Epitaph looks ​nooothing ​like Guardian, which looks nothing like Narrows, which looks nothing like Citadel, which looks nothing like Cold Storage. Which looks fucking nothing like Sandtrap.

Not only could Bungie make shit look incredible, but they could do it 100 different ways. No recycled assets. Not to mention that even the raw designs were always unique. Most maps in Halo 3 probably played like dog shit but they were all completely different philosophies being tried. Even ​within ​the philosophies, say linear aggression, they found ways to mix it up. Narrows and Orbital could both be defined as linear aggression and are nothing like each other. Assembly and Foundry could both be called Sandbox style maps and are nothing like each other. I don't even know how to describe Construct.

Point is, at least Bungie tried. What they lacked in raw design skill they made up for with passion and vision. It's why despite the fact that Halo 5 honestly ​probably has the best playing collective map suite of any Halo game; no one gives a shit. None of them are memorable, and you can bet your ass 10 years from now forgers are still going to be remaking Lockout and not Plaza. It all comes down to character, most players don't even notice when a map plays well or not. They just remember it, or they don't. It's all about character.

Excellent post...

I think a "teleporter turret" could add an interesting dynamic to an Invasion map. Inside the attacker base is a permanent, fixed teleporter entrance. On top of the base is a mounted turret that fires a teleporter exit. The attackers could use this dynamic shortcut to quickly assault unexpected locations.

Penance (Damnation) from Reach is still my favorite Covenant map. It looks smooth and sleek. I love it.

Now the Covenant architecture looks like bug people architecture. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Penance (Damnation) from Reach is still my favorite Covenant map. It looks smooth and sleek. I love it.

Now the Covenant architecture looks like bug people architecture. 

RQmNTJb.png

vs. 

h5-guardians-arena-establishing-truth-sk

man - what the fuck happened

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see no reason to keep it. I would rather have more unique vehicles like the helicopter+laser bream idea a couple of pages back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Railgun should be discontinued as an infantry weapon and become the turret on the "new Gauss Hog". A short charge up period before firing, and a slower projectile speed, would do a great deal to balance the extreme power of the Gauss Hog vs infantry and other vehicles.

An unlimited ammo turret, where the operator is afforded some cover, and can move around the map around at high speeds, should not be as powerful as the Gauss Hog currently is.

The "Railgun Hog" is still a one hit kill against infantry but will require a bit more skill to operate than the rolling sniper-rocket death machine.

I don't know if you know this already, but believe it or not, the Gauss Hog is actually exactly like this in H2A MP. Well, minus the slow projectile. I thought that it was perfect. I don't understand why they didn't keep it like that for H5 and future titles.

I see no reason to keep it. I would rather have more unique vehicles like the helicopter+laser bream idea a couple of pages back.

A downward facing laser wouldn't work well on an aerial vehicle with unlimited altitutde. You would have no idea what you were firing on below you. I could see a downward strike weapon working on a vehicle like the prophet's gravity throne, from the campaign boss battle.

It could hover at a set height, just high enough to allow ground vehicles to pass underneath. This would allow the operator to still see what's below him.

I'm not sure what weapons it should have besides this downward facing spartan laser weapon. What frontal weapons would suit this small floating vehicle?

Also, in regards to the Midship/Heretic/Truth discussion:

Yes, the classics play better and have better art direction, but all three suck at helping players orient themselves IMO. It is hard to remember where I am and what to call out when everything is frickin purple with almost the same geometry.

Or maybe I just suck at Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3