CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This was a lot of my problem at 343. Wanted to reach out, talk to the community, discuss, etc., but really couldn't. Plus, I wasn't really in a community facing role. 

Feels good to be working at a new studio and hopefully be able to have those discussions in the future.

Nice man! Where'd you settle down at?

Nice man! Where'd you settle down at?

I'm the Build Engineer at First Strike Games, Kevin Franklin's new studio. 

I know how much you guys love him.  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 5

You did server maintenance correct? Stoked to see how stable Warzone : THE GAME will be :kappa: 

Kidding.  That's awesome man.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You did server maintenance correct? Stoked to see how stable Warzone : THE GAME will be :kappa:

Kidding.  That's awesome man.

I did a lot of stuff at 343, but mostly focused on maintaining Build Servers, QA, Lightmap farms, etc. and how our developers used and interacted with them. Nothing the games were actually hosted on, just ones leveraged in the development process. Same thing here, just with a focus on the backend codebase and automation. 

EDIT: Also... GO FUCK YOURSELF.  :angry:  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 5

The Mantis is a good example of 343's poor grasp of the UNSC style. It looks nothing like previous UNSC designs.

Also I will start hiding off topic posts if all of you don't settle down.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo was never good.

This post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm

I did a lot of stuff at 343, but mostly focused on maintaining Build Servers, QA, Lightmap farms, etc. and how our developers used and interacted with them. Nothing the games were actually hosted on, just ones leveraged in the development process. Same thing here, just with a focus on the backend codebase and automation.

EDIT: Also... GO FUCK YOURSELF. :angry:;)

Yall using Jenkins?

This post may contain trace amounts of sarcasm

This post may contain large amounts of blatancy

EDIT: Also... GO FUCK YOURSELF.  Beyond%20Angry.png  Beyond%20Wink.png

Yeah yeah yeah, that's interesting to hear, but lets move onto a more important topic...

Why is your dog cute as hell?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Any MP map design positions open? I'm in the aerospace & aviation business and wouldn't mind trying my hand at game design if the right opportunity arose... I've been interested in learning more about the industry as of late. The creative possibilities are endless...

Yeah yeah yeah, that's interesting to hear, but lets move onto a more important topic...

Why is your dog cute as hell?

I still can't figure that out.

I still can't figure that out.

In all seriousness, and out of curiousity, how much of the stuff we dislike about H4/5 is down to Kevin? Do we blow it out of proportion, hit the nail on the head or something else?

If you can't talk about it or don't want to fair enough.

• Upvote (+1) 2

In all seriousness, and out of curiousity, how much of the stuff we dislike about H4/5 is down to Kevin? Do we blow it out of proportion, hit the nail on the head or something else?

Kevin Franklin isn't with 343i anymore. He formed First Strike at the beginning of 2016.

Yall using Jenkins?

You too? We do as well.  mish-mash of different tools atm

I don't think he's incapable of making a good game period, of that I have really no idea and hopefully you're new studio is successful.

I just think he can't make a good Halo game....  

There has been some "Addition by subtraction" at 343 since Halo 5 launched imo (NOT you lol).  I am hopeful for the future, as much as it may not seem like it at times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 and MS are too big to blame failures or shortcomings on one person. Generally one or a few get the blame, but because they are in a position to do so, not necessarily because they deserve it. 

You too? We do as well.  mish-mash of different tools atm

I don't think he's incapable of making a good game period, of that I have really no idea and hopefully you're new studio is successful.

I just think he can't make a good Halo game....  

There has been some "Addition by subtraction" at 343 since Halo 5 launched imo (NOT you lol).  I am hopeful for the future, as much as it may not seem like it at times.

Using Jenkins as part of a stack of tools right now, but in the process of moving away from it. 

How would feel about the Magnum being able to shoot through certain objects, like thin walls?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2E3JDtqHaVM&t=2m10s

(2 min 10 sec)

Forge could have a binary value that enables this trait on any object. Textures that turn a normal wall into a cracked, dilapidated, falling apart wall could be used to indicate to players what walls can be shot through.

It could even be a specific forge object, like a shield wall, and the Magnum is the only weapon that can "punch holes in it". The decals would shrink down to nothing to show the shield wall repairing itself.

11t-1000%2B555.gif

Passing through a wall could also modify the traits of the projectile (damage, range, et c).

• Downvote (-1) 1

How would feel about the Magnum being able to shoot through certain objects, like thin walls?

(2 min 10 sec)

Forge could have a binary value that enables this trait on any object. Textures that turn a normal wall into a cracked, dilapidated, falling apart wall could be used to indicate to players what walls can be shot through.

It could even be a specific forge object, like a shield wall, and the Magnum is the only weapon that can "punch holes in it". The decals would shrink down to nothing to show the shield wall repairing itself.

11t-1000%2B555.gif

Passing through a wall could also modify the traits of the projectile (damage, range, et c).

The fewer random variables in a Halo game, the better. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

The fewer random variables in a Halo game, the better.

What about it do you consider random?