CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The sad part is that if Waypoint, r/Halo, and/or Beyond forums were overwhelmingly in favour of sprint, suddenly those results/feedback would be viable and not subject to the criticisms of selection bias.

You know it. I know it. They know it.

Facts. They would be retweeting our threads and posts with high praise. They would be posting on here more regularly, engaging in "how I escaped from a 2v1 encounter with the use of sprint" discussions with us, while we all laugh together, bonding.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, because reading through 200+ pages in this discussion is tough, but I do at least try and come here at least once a day.  What I was worried about from day 1, was the fact of who they hired for the "Pro" team.  I want to say this first are foremost, Ghost, Neighbor and StrongSide, are legends.  They know Halo inside and out, and I respect their opinions a great deal.  However, with that being said, does it worry anyone else that these "Pros" are not very "outspoken", from a personality type, point of view?  What I mean, is that I just don't see these 3 giving criticism strongly such as, "Sprint is the worse thing to ever happen to Halo and it must go.".  I just have a feeling, especially since they are all hired full-time by 343i, that they won't be as vocal as they should be on such an important topic relating to the game.  Like most people in this world, they are less likely to strongly voice their negative opinions of the game, because making such a remark towards a supervisor, they may feel, might jeopardize their jobs, or how strongly their opinions may be viewed in the future.  Most of us, wouldn't stand up to our boss, and completely trash an idea that the boss believes is a "great idea" and is essential to the game.  Again, repeating myself, I respect these guys and everything they have done for the franchise, and everything they will continue to do, but I just don't know if they are the right people to represent the community when it comes to making this game.  And that is no knock on them, because I feel most people would do the same.  I, personally, would just feel more comfortable if "pros" such as Orge2, Snip3down, Ninja, Heinz, GandHi (I know, I know, hasn't actually competed in some time, but is always very opinionated), etc were the ones critiquing the game because they voice their opinions and, I don't believe, would be swayed in a particular way just because they were sitting in the same room as the developers.  (Sorry this post is a novel).  Don't know how many of you watched "The Sprint", but the most vocal of any of the brought in "pros" was Walshy.  It was one of the last few episodes of "The Sprint" but Walshy, from what the clip showed, was repeatidly stating what he thought should be added, or removed, even when he could tell that Quinn, and the other developers, weren't pleased to hear what he had to say, because he was siding against what was already in the build of the game they were playing. 

Sorry for taking up so much time for anyone that read this whole thing.  Just wanted to state what I thought, about the hired "pros" might not being the type of people needed to voice what all the other "pros", and majority of the community, were thinking. 

Thanks guys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/550921285459398656

If I'm not mistaken, there is no sprint penalty while being shot right?

Let me sift through the bullshit of that tweet and tell you the actual truth:

The only time you can't sprint while taking damage is if you have not reached terminal velocity.

"They can't sprint while taking damage"... lmao

Keep digging a deeper whole, 343.

You know what I just realized. I probably would not play more than a total of 1 hr of playtime in the beta if there was no rank system. Lol. Wow. How many of you guys here with 5hrs and over would be playing the beta if there were no ranks?

Is this the same 343 that removed Sprint in 2012? lol

343 never removed Sprint in 2012, they (gave the option to) removed bloom. MLG always had the option to remove Sprint from their settings (they even did for v1, but added it back in v2-6) they just never did until v7.

You know what I just realized. I probably would not play more than a total of 1 hr of playtime in the beta if there was no rank system. Lol. Wow. How many of you guys here with 5hrs and over would be playing the beta if there were no ranks?

I rarely play any games without some type of ranking system or leaderboard anymore.

Well sprint will never be removed based on the comments. Unfortunately it seems they will pull anything to "discredit" your post. Maybe like someone said earlier, You can't sprint unless you are full shields. That'd be pretty good. Or you can't sprint if you are one shot. 

That was my original idea but 90% of the BS escapes will still exist.

Ranks can only carry a game so far. If the game was released tomorrow I would keep my money.

I, personally, would just feel more comfortable if "pros" such as Orge2, Snip3down, Ninja, Heinz, GandHi (I know, I know, hasn't actually competed in some time, but is always very opinionated), etc were the ones critiquing the game because they voice their opinions and, I don't believe, would be swayed in a particular way just because they were sitting in the same room as the developers.  

Thanks guys.

Ninja and Gandhi would be horrible choices to represent us at 343. They are two of the biggest d-riders in this community. Neither of them know what is good for this series.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's funny how I'm killed by an AR before I even have time to realize I'm being shot (literally less than 1 second from the time the first hit registers to me to the time I'm dead), yet on their view / the kill cam, they were shooting at me for well over a second.

Methinks there are issues with shots not registering as hit (on you/your player coming from other other) straight away and there being a significant delay between when THEY fire the first shot/get the first hit & when YOU actually notice it / see it on your screen.

I literally have almost zero chance to react most of the time.

An hour at best. Game's flaws shine brighter than daylight when you play against good people.

343 apparently tested H5 with no Sprint, and they felt like they preferred Sprint and all the other stuff. And that is why Halo is fucking terrible now

I rarely play any games without some type of ranking system or leaderboard anymore.

Understandable. But if you only had the choice of playing TMCC collection with no ranks or the halo 5 beta, what would you play?

Maybe we should focus on Breakout being released tomorrow? I'm actually legitimately interested in this gametype. There seems to be some flaws based on what Walshy mentioned in "The Sprint", but I actually believe this could be the new flagship game mode for Halo. Or I could be devastated tomorrow. But either way, I think this game mode works better with how 343i developed Halo 5. 

Maybe we should focus on Breakout being released tomorrow? I'm actually legitimately interested in this gametype. There seems to be some flaws based on what Walshy mentioned in "The Sprint", but I actually believe this could be the new flagship game mode for Halo. Or I could be devastated tomorrow. But either way, I think this game mode works better with how 343i developed Halo 5. 

If this gamemode becomes the mainstay then I will be so fucking done

I would like to know something. Do we really know what the Halo community in toto thinks about sprint? I suspect a lot of confirmation bias in peoples view. While it is obvious that it didn’t really work in Reach and H4, what is the actual state of the art right now? And how large is the community as a matter of fact? Millions? And is it possibly to know what most people think if they aren’t active on any online forums? It seems to me that a lot of people like sprint on Waypoint and r/halo, who do we know if the reflect the most common view?

Edit: In the pool only 580 members have voted so far. That dosen't really tell us anythnig, does it? 

The /r/halo and wapoint polls also went heavily against sprint. And it goes both ways with what you're saying. If we don't know what the unspoken community wants or how big they are, why would we assume they are in favor of sprint. The spoken community has overwhelmingly gone against sprint.

I still just don't understand why taking sprint out is such a big deal for them. Regardless if it is in or not it is going to sell enough to make them a huge profit, so why not just take it out and let the community last longer than a few months, where they would have potential to make more money.

Any angle I try to look at their decisions from, it seem nonsensical and is infuriating.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If this gamemode becomes the mainstay then I will be so fucking done

This technically isn't new to Halo at all. H1 had Classic Elimination which is the same one life spiel but this just has less health/no shields, if you will.  There were options to bring it to Breakout's gameplay level but if you think about... like AkaDemiK just stated, its SnD without the bomb objective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Breakout is SnD minus the objective. It's Swat with a bit more shields. It will be a niche gametype.

They really need to add some type of objective to it.

I still just don't understand why taking sprint out is such a big deal for them. Regardless if it is in or not it is going to sell enough to make them a huge profit, so why not just take it out and let the community last longer than a few months, where they would have potential to make more money.

The only rational explanation I can think of is that their marketing team believes that they are going to sell way more games with sprint, because it appeals to a broader community. If this is correct I can perfectly understand them. However, how would they know this? They can’t possibly base their conclusion on the assumption that the new Halo will attract gamers who primarily play Titanfall or CoD, can they?

Announcer: "Goosed!"

Description: Finish a game with 0 kills

Announcer: "Fuck 343i"

Description: Use no abilities for the entire game - e.g. sprint, smart scope, clamber, thruster, ground pound

• Upvote (+1) 1

I, personally, would just feel more comfortable if "pros" such as Orge2, Snip3down, Ninja, Heinz, GandHi (I know, I know, hasn't actually competed in some time, but is always very opinionated), etc were the ones critiquing the game

Lol @ Gandhi & Ninja.

Gandhi is a sellout and flip-flops on shit more than Mitt Romney, and Ninja likes anything you put in front of him (case in point: he thinks Destiny multiplayer is great).

The reality is that none of them would likely make too much of a significant difference. Even if they spoke out against sprint and were not ignored, the rest of 343 would trump them anyway, as would the suits who see Call of Duty and Destiny and want to cash in on their success by effectively cloning them.

They're like the investors of a movie, who directly fuck up what is otherwise a sublime & interesting script by "noting" it to death; in other words, the people who have more money than they know what to do with yet have absolutely no clue about how to make a movie, demand the director include/exclude/change parts of a movie based on some shit they liked in some other movie they saw a week ago without any regard of how or why it could or should work in the movie they're investing in. For a perfect (albeit slightly but not overtly exaggerated) example, watch "An Evening With Kevin Smith" for his recollection of Jon Peters, or the notes he had to take on Mallrats.

Same goes for video games. Not to take the blame off of 343 entirely; they're more than capable of pushing back on things (e.g. descope) of need be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is the likeliness of them removing sprint if we don't insult them as apposed to insulting them?

Same probability. Which is none. From the moment we first realised it was going to be in the game from those screenshots of midship I think we all knew we were fucked. As far as voicing your concerns for sprint, we might as well vent as it will have no effect on the outcome for that issue imo. For any other issues though, there might be a chance for change.