CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Why would you ever bother using the Warthog then?

Have you never used an H3 warthog? It's not like you could equip 4 frags at the same time, and the gunner could still tear you to shreds inside the warthog as durable as a tank. A well placed grenade isn't going to automatically counter it the same way a laser or rockets would.

Have you never used an H3 warthog? It's not like you could equip 4 frags at the same time, and the gunner could still tear you to shreds inside the warthog as durable as a tank. A well placed grenade isn't going to automatically counter it the same way a laser or rockets would.

I wouldn't consider what a nade in h3 does to a hog as "flying through the air".

Once in awhile it can flip you but most times you'd just tilt or bump up a little.

At the beginning of standoff games all 4 players would nade the other teams' hog and sometimes even that would just knock it around a little.

I wouldn't consider what a nade in h3 does to a hog as "flying through the air".

Once in awhile it can flip you but most times you'd just tilt or bump up a little.

At the beginning of standoff games all 4 players would nade the other teams' hog and sometimes even that would just knock it around a little.

I'm pretty sure if the host was driving, it would flip through the air but if anybody else was driving it would just get nudged a bit. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure if the host was driving, it would flip through the air but if anybody else was driving it would just get nudged a bit.

Well that could explain things since I pulled host in h3 like twice a year.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I liked what you could do with H2 vehicles.  Flip them over on purpose, stand on top then have a teammate flip it upright and launch you.  Good times.

I liked what you could do with H2 vehicles. Flip them over on purpose, stand on top then have a teammate flip it upright and launch you. Good times.

Member turning on severe handicap, having your bomb guy stand against a rock, and then boosting your ghost into him and launching him across the map with the bomb? I member.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Member turning on severe handicap, having your bomb guy stand against a rock, and then boosting your ghost into him and launching him across the map with the bomb? I member.

I was going to mention this actually lol. It was hilarious. It's one of those things that I loved but am ok with them taking out of the franchise. Final Boss had it on for an open bracket match, I forget who but it was on creek and they won. I also remember an am having it on and not realizing for a high majority of the match before realizing. Not sure how dumb you have to be to not pick up on it when it's on severe.

Getting that bomb launch into the base on zanzibar was always awesome. We would launch someone over in 1 flag, have him pick it up immediately and run up the first set of stairs and throw the flag into the wall on the left hand side like you would hide it in the corner of a base in midship or something. The warthog driver would then go over the the right door (facing the base) with the rest of the team, grab the flag through the wall and hop in the hog and have a cap within 30 seconds of the match. The rocket player could easily own us but having the flag picked up so fast just throws off the other team if they aren't aware these glitches.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of membering, member launching stickies with stickies clear across bloodgulch/side winder. I member.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of membering, member launching stickies with stickies clear across bloodgulch/side winder. I member.

Oh man, i used to love the crazy sticky-launching sticks you would see in montages.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can the concept of the Boltshot be improved upon?

I would begin by modifying the charged shot. Instead of releasing a shotgun spread of low damage pellets, the new Boltshot's charged shot fires just one single precision projectile. This single precision projectile, this bolt, ignores all energy shields and deals one hitpoint of headshot capable damage to health.

The bolt has two possible outcomes from striking an enemy: bodyshot or headshot.

A bodyshot does no damage to shields and one hitpoint of damage to health. The enemy would still have full shields and essentially full health (minus a single hitpoint).

A headshot does no damage to shields BUT the single hitpoint of headshot capable damage it deals to health is enough to kill. In Halo, any headshot with a headshot capable weapon kills a shieldless player.

An easier way to imagine the new Boltshot's charged shot is that is does not "see" energy shields at all, it passes right through them. It doesn't matter if you have no shields, or if you have a 4x Overshield; a headshot from a charged Boltshot kills you every time. It is the only weapon that can kill a player without removing his shields first.

Edit: forgot to say the bolt has massive projectile drop once past close range to limit effectiveness to close range only. Almost like a skill based shotgun.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would begin by modifying the charged shot. Instead of releasing a shotgun spread of low damage pellets, the new Boltshot's charged shot fires just one single precision projectile. This single precision projectile, this bolt, ignores all energy shields and deals one hitpoint of headshot capable damage to health.

The bolt has two possible outcomes from striking an enemy: bodyshot or headshot.

A bodyshot does no damage to shields and one hitpoint of damage to health. The enemy would still have full shields and essentially full health (minus a single hitpoint).

A headshot does no damage to shields BUT the single hitpoint of headshot capable damage it deals to health is enough to kill. In Halo, any headshot with a headshot capable weapon kills a shieldless player.

An easier way to imagine the new Boltshot's charged shot is that is does not "see" energy shields at all, it passes right through them. It doesn't matter if you have no shields, or if you have a 4x Overshield; a headshot from a charged Boltshot kills you every time. It is the only weapon that can kill a player without removing his shields first.

Sooo.

Take the Bullshit close range pocket shotgun of the Boltshot.

But make it a fucking projectile weapon that insta kills regardless of shield, AT ANY RANGE?

HELL FUCKING NO

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sooo.

Take the Bullshit close range pocket shotgun of the Boltshot.

But make it a fucking projectile weapon that insta kills regardless of shield, AT ANY RANGE?

HELL FUCKING NO

But it does require more skill now. Getting a headshot with a projectile weapon, with limited range, that also requires a charge up. To me, that seems a hell of a lot harder than any of the current power weapons like a hitscan sniper, explosive rockets, or lunging sword (where only one of these three even require a headshot and none of them require a charge up).

Sorry, I think I forgot to say it has massive projectile drop once past close range so no NOT AT ANY RANGE. Apologies for the confusion.

There was literally two problems with even the vanilla H4 boltshot.

1. 11 shots to kill, 10 shot mag (lmao)

2. You could spawn with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But it does require more skill now. Getting a headshot with a projectile weapon, with limited range, that also requires a charge up. To me, that seems a hell of a lot harder than any of the current power weapons like a hitscan sniper, explosive rockets, or lunging sword (where only one of these three even require a headshot and none of them require a charge up).

and none of them insta kill someone with full overshield.

and none of them insta kill someone with full overshield.

A noob combo can handle that already. This idea is not completely unprecedented.

A noob combo can handle that already. This idea is not completely unprecedented.

It's too powerful, regardless of difficulty of use. It would have to be a power weapon. Having more than one of these on the map at any time would be a nightmare. And in high level play, no amount of difficulty of use will change or ridiculous it would be. It would be the strongest power weapon in the game in high level play with the ability to one shot kill anyone regardless of shield strength, while being totally useless in low level play, because it would be too hard for new players to use.

Power weapons such as the sniper/Rocket launcher/ Sword are supposed to be strong, as well as being somewhat usable for all skill levels (although the sniper is definitely too easy to use in Halo 5, but previously it has been harder to use) . They are supposed to be fought over to change the tide of the fight. A Close range, projectile weapon that would only be useful if you get a headshot, is not something I see Bronze/Silver/Gold level players fighting for.

The suggested boltshot is different to the noob combo. The noob combo requires two weapons, and two actions. The PP (Which is awful at killing but strips shields) and a precision weapon. (And the noob combo is't seen too often in High level play still anyway). Your suggested boltshot rolls them both into one. It ignores the shield (strips it) and kills them, in one action, with one weapon.

My biggest problem with this weapon idea is that idea of it completely negating the effect of an overshield, by killing them flat out.

the noob combo is't seen too often in High level play

Wouldn't it be nice to have a skill based "noob combo" for high level play? Especially when it is effectively limited to close range. Should an Overshield player who gets too close to a Boltshot player be given a free pass? Shouldn't a skilled OS player know when he shouldn't rush an enemy that may have a weapon that could negate his advantage?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a skill based "noob combo" for high level play? Especially when it is effectively limited to close range. Should an Overshield player who gets too close to a Boltshot player be given a free pass? Shouldn't a skilled OS player know when he shouldn't rush an enemy that may have a weapon that could negate his advantage?

I'd rather just make the the railgun headshot dependant but need a headshot

Hell I'd remove the railgun. We already have the mechanically identical spartan laser, which was way cooler anyway.

A laser with Reach damage to vehicles (ie not bloody insta kills all the time) but with a Charge time that makes it an effective infantry railgun.

The Railgun is such a waste of dev time.

Edit: forgot to say the bolt has massive projectile drop once past close range to limit effectiveness to close range only. Almost like a skill based shotgun.

I can see the argument for it being a more skillful noob combo, but Reach/CE noob combos already shows that the noob combo doesnt need to be, well the fucking noob combo.

Really, the boltshot was already kinda unique as precision weapon without a scope but had "Charge up double barrel shotty" role. I think it would be cool as pick up as it is, better than the nooby BR is now.

Hell I'd remove the railgun. We already have the mechanically identical spartan laser, which was way cooler anyway.

A laser with Reach damage to vehicles (ie not bloody insta kills all the time) but with a Charge time that makes it an effective infantry railgun.

The Railgun is such a waste of dev time.

GL is a more creative substitute of the rail gun anyway. Why not just readjust whatever problems that it had and put it in HCS?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

GL is a more creative substitute of the rail gun anyway. Why not just readjust whatever problems that it had and put it in HCS?

The GL is a better designed weapon (well not the H5 one) but I think it's important to remember they are different roles.

I would take GL and Plasma Launcher over Caster, Rail, Hydra and Incin.

But the Laser already does what the railgun does. It's a Charge up, one shot kill with a long downtime. The Railgun is literally a waste of resources.