CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Keep Sprint offline only since Weapon Lowering, somehow, breaks the game but Sprint "does not change the formula".

Nowhere to go but strange, nonsensical "compromises". Dad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like we have let 343 know our opinion on Sprint for going on 3 (geez this is depressing....) years now and here we are 3 games in with sprint and the same issues are still here.

So sorry if after 3 years of "constructively" letting 343 know my opinions I get a little ticked off when I see some of these tweets.

I would like to know something. Do we really know what the Halo community in toto thinks about sprint? I suspect a lot of confirmation bias in peoples view. While it is obvious that it didn’t really work in Reach and H4, what is the actual state of the art right now? And how large is the community as a matter of fact? Millions? And is it possibly to know what most people think if they aren’t active on any online forums? It seems to me that a lot of people like sprint on Waypoint and r/halo, who do we know if the reflect the most common view?

Edit: In the pool only 580 members have voted so far. That dosen't really tell us anythnig, does it? 

So I just want to put this out there.

I know it isnt what we want to hear, but it is important that Josh Holmes is responding to the sprint discussion, providing his point of view, because he really doesnt have to do so at all. All the "Fuck 343" and things like that.. lets just relax. Obviously I want sprint gone, but reading things like that 100% will not want to make him or anyone else there do the Halo Community any favors. 

I also think it is important (and kind of random I guess) to touch on the Pro Team being at 343. During 2013 when we started Beyond I didnt really know Ghost, but he wanted to get involved and so he was one of the first people who helped us get this whole website off the ground.  Over that period we became really good friends, bros, etc.  Since he got hired we havent really talked much at all, just random bullshit here and there (for obvious reasons) but I am willing to bet he and the Pro Team arent sitting on their hands about Halo 5, and what needs to happen. 

We need to seriously let 343 know (in a constructive way) that Sprint is just a no-go. Descope is back in Halo, that means Sprint can be removed.  One of the best ways is to vote in the Beyond Halo 5 Poll, and tell other people to vote in it as well. This poll and others like it are seriously important.  Also if you tweet any 343 employee I would avoid the "roasting" approach.  I know it can be frustrating (im right there with you) but insulting them is not going to solve anything. 

:prayers:

Favors? It's considered a favor to us if they make the game we buy something we like. Nice man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I just want to put this out there.

I know it isnt what we want to hear, but it is important that Josh Holmes is responding to the sprint discussion, providing his point of view, because he really doesnt have to do so at all. All the "Fuck 343" and things like that.. lets just relax. Obviously I want sprint gone, but reading things like that 100% will not want to make him or anyone else there do the Halo Community any favors. 

I also think it is important (and kind of random I guess) to touch on the Pro Team being at 343. During 2013 when we started Beyond I didnt really know Ghost, but he wanted to get involved and so he was one of the first people who helped us get this whole website off the ground.  Over that period we became really good friends, bros, etc.  Since he got hired we havent really talked much at all, just random bullshit here and there (for obvious reasons) but I am willing to bet he and the Pro Team arent sitting on their hands about Halo 5, and what needs to happen. 

We need to seriously let 343 know (in a constructive way) that Sprint is just a no-go. Descope is back in Halo, that means Sprint can be removed.  One of the best ways is to vote in the Beyond Halo 5 Poll, and tell other people to vote in it as well. This poll and others like it are seriously important.  Also if you tweet any 343 employee I would avoid the "roasting" approach.  I know it can be frustrating (im right there with you) but insulting them is not going to solve anything. 

:prayers

Bro, that poll already failed. Have you played Halo 5. I can sprint longer than I could in Reach and H4 combined. 343 just doesnt care about polls or anything .

Favors? It's considered a favor to us if they make the game we buy something we like. Nice man.

Technically they can do whatever they want (to an extent) as we have seen with Halo 4 and Halo 5. "Doing us any favors" is meant to be more of a saying than him literally doing us a favor.

The point is that if you insult someone they are less likely to listen to what you have to say.

Who would honestly be happy if you could only sprint with full shields? Lets be honest. this is could be our "Happy medium" with 343i. there will not be a single "Get outa jail free card" situation. You will literally not be able to sprint for 4 seconds and that's if you're NOT hit. Thats our last hope.

For those who hate sprint, please answer this. I want to know if this really can be a solution.

This would be great. 

I agree with Saucey that we should at least be attacking the ideas/gameplay elements here and not the people. Josh, Quinn, along with the Pro team are humans... and they have their own opinions on things. They also seem like really cool people in real life. 

I also don't get the whole "343i pro team betrayed us" mentality. The people here who say that if they were in their seats (Ghost, Neighbor, Bravo, Strongside, etc.) that they'd leave 343i and be fired over Sprint are fucking nuts. Give me a break. It is so god damn easy to say that over the forums, but no one here is immune to being indoctrinated/starstruck, and working with the opportunity you've been given. You are all crazy if you think you'd drop your dream job because you couldn't get your way on one mechanic. Every time I see this, it's pure naiveness to how it is working in the real world. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Who would honestly be happy if you could only sprint with full shields? Lets be honest. this is could be our "Happy medium" with 343i. there will not be a single "Get outa jail free card" situation. You will literally not be able to sprint for 4 seconds and that's if you're NOT hit. Thats our last hope.

For those who hate sprint, please answer this. I want to know if this really can be a solution.

I would be happy if I could sprint to power weapons, but the moment I get shot, I can't run at all until I regain full shields. This might actually work.

I could live with that.

I know a guy whose teen life was Halo 2/3. Guy would bail on school to clock in some Halo hours. This is also the guy who played an hours worth of the beta, called bullshit, and jumped back to Halo 3.

The hype train made me buy Halo 4, and I regret it. The hype train made me buy MCC, and it doesn't even fucking work. Honestly, I like most of the new mechanics, but if sprint is in this game I won't buy it.

To 343: Yes, this is at times a radical community, but if the majority can agree on something it's that sprint destroys gameplay. We're the community that sticks around after the CoD kids stop playing your crap, it'd be beneficial for you guys to listen. And by listen I mean fucking listen, not sidestep the issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind this. They won't do it though

Like I said, one of the greatest features in Gears of War 3 was when you started to roadie run away, the moment you got shot, you started to gradually slow down. Now, I think with Halo this would need to be a little more severe, as in, the second you got shot you came to a near halt.

This is actually a really good fucking idea.

I'd rather have no sprint, but I could totally live with this.

No, they [343] "get it", they just don't care.

They care about people thinking their game is "modern", that's about it. They see the successes (financially speaking) of games like Call of Duty and Destiny, and they just follow suit. Plain and simple.

It's equal parts greed, conformity, and ego; Ego based out of not wanting to admit their ideas for the franchise are simply bad and don't work, and that the formula for the franchise's success resides in a version of the game that isn't their own: Halo CE.

Period.

If they 'got it' they would realise that casuals will still play a game without sprint, but we will not play a game with it. That's the difference. If 343 want to use a similar business model to Acivision's (COD) they would realise that you need to keep the core of the game intact and make only minor changes with each new title (With the exception of Modern Warfare). If they learned anything from games like Titanfall they would realise that the addition of all these bullshit feature doesn't equate to a successful game.

Deleted the r/Halo thread. It is obvious that the Halo 4 kids are out in full force on that piece of crap, and 343 have shown to us that they just don't get it.

Halo is DEAD. It really is time to move on.

There will still situations where players will run away from bad situations before they get shot, players sprinting off spawn across the map making map awareness unpredictable at times, players sprinting towards players to get a melee in before they get shot and other things. If we have to keep thinking of new ways to balance sprint then it's beyond obvious now the mechanic will simply not work. 

imagine a 49-49 scenario where your team is making a push on Truth. Your team is at blue base and pink 1. Suddenly you notice a player on the opposing team is at pink 2, he is full shields and the rest of his team is at Car side. You call him out to coordinate a flank from pink 1 and a push from blue base to trap and kill him...however, him being full shields with the sprint mechanic available to him usain bolt's it from P2 to top mid before a single bullet can touch him. He gets behind the shields, recovers his health and then sprints away to either Car or Red base. Good job, good effort blue team.

Sprint cannot be balanced in Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If it was like that, then you might as well take sprint out altogether.

Technically they can do whatever they want (to an extent) as we have seen with Halo 4 and Halo 5. "Doing us any favors" is meant to be more of a saying than him literally doing us a favor.

The point is that if you insult someone they are less likely to listen to what you have to say.

What is the likeliness of them removing sprint if we don't insult them as apposed to insulting them?

I also don't get the whole "343i pro team betrayed us" mentality.

I hope nobody actually believes this? I know that at least one of them (we know who) dies inside a little more each day. I mean I know that they "listen" to their feedback, but it's obvious that they don't actually give a damn. They were probably given a bullet point list and told these won't change, don't even bring it up. I could see them straight up kicking ghost out of meetings or just not inviting him because he won't stop until he has halo. Ghost will never lose my respect and if anybody believes for a second that he's a sellout, then I'm sorry but you don't know him at all and are a complete idiot.