CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In a comp environment you'd want everything related to map design to be consistent. This way no one wins because the map just happened to do something or whatever.

I think the furthest you can go is to add power ups that unlock a route for the player using said power up. But even that could only exist in casual modes.

In a comp environment you'd want everything related to map design to be consistent. This way no one wins because the map just happened to do something or whatever.

I think the furthest you can go is to add power ups that unlock a route for the player using said power up. But even that could only exist in casual modes.

As long as they are controllable and predictable I have no problem with them. Most of the time they feel tacky like the train on terminal but there's instances of good things, like the gate on High Ground for one flag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't forget everyone's favorite map element, Zealot's low gravity spaaaaaace! 

call me crazy but i really liked the anti grav section of condemned 

• Upvote (+1) 1

A sandstorm randomly occuring and obscuring ones vision is annoyingly unpredictable.

Having extra "minor" objectives such as having to prevent the opposing team from dropping a bridge or opening a gate to make taking an obejective easier is a great thing.

I mean for fucks sake, lifts and teles are interactive elements of map design, not geometry, do we remove them too? Of course not (hear that 343? teleporters are awesome)

Wanting to expand upon teles and lifts is a good thing, we just need to make sure we pick the good ones.

No need to be close minded.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't forget everyone's favorite map element, Zealot's low gravity spaaaaaace! 

Just goes to show that you can fix a few ******** things, but no amount of kill zones can fix Sword Base.

Just goes to show that you can fix a few ******** things, but no amount of kill zones can fix Sword Base.

One thing I liked about Sword Base was that the bottom mid lift actually had a skill element to it. When playing Slayer Pro (I think, whatever game type had sprint as the only armor ability), if the enemy was camping Top Glass, you could sprint towards the lift at a certain angle and crouch right before you went in and you could reach the top window and come at them from an unexpected route.

I'm not sure if Halo has had another lift like this that required a specific maneuver going in to reach an otherwise unreachable spot. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

• Upvote (+1) 3

A sandstorm randomly occuring and obscuring ones vision is annoyingly unpredictable.

Having extra "minor" objectives such as having to prevent the opposing team from dropping a bridge or opening a gate to make taking an obejective easier is a great thing.

I mean for fucks sake, lifts and teles are interactive elements of map design, not geometry, do we remove them too? Of course not (hear that 343? teleporters are awesome)

Wanting to expand upon teles and lifts is a good thing, we just need to make sure we pick the good ones.

Don't be dogging on sandstorms

Ugh don't get me started on sword base lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know you strictly arena guys aren't the most well versed in vehicle mechanics but let's see what you think about this.

If an enemy vehicle is bothering you, you can always just destroy it. Spartan Laser, Rockets, stickies, whatever. But what happens when you don't want to destroy the enemy vehicle, you want to take it for yourself. Well, you could hijack it. You could EMP it with a Plasma Pistol or Grenade Launcher then shoot the occupants out. You could flip it over with a grenade, or Gravity Hammer, or Concussion Rifle, or Revenant and kill the enemies before the can flip it and get back in.

How about this: the Sentinel Beam roasts vehicle occupants while only doing minor damage to the vehicle itself.

Like a car parked in the summer sun with the windows up, shit gets hot inside. An alien laser beam continuously focused on a vehicle seems like it could have the same effect.

• Upvote (+1) 2

One thing I liked about Sword Base was that the bottom mid lift actually had a skill element to it. When playing Slayer Pro (I think, whatever game type had sprint as the only armor ability), if the enemy was camping Top Glass, you could sprint towards the lift at a certain angle and crouch right before you went in and you could reach the top window and come at them from an unexpected route.

I'm not sure if Halo has had another lift like this that required a specific maneuver going in to reach an otherwise unreachable spot. Wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

You could do some really cool shit with the lift on Ascension by hitting it at certain angles.

Edit for Sentinel Beam idea: I think it's a good idea, but it sounds very easy. I feel like it would need to take a while to do, have limited range (which I don't think he SB does, just limited RRR), and need a visual effect so you knew what was happening and it was intuitive, like the vehicle starts to glow red. There's need to be a cooldown period on the vehicle too, so you couldn't get into it right away. This type of weapon could also act like "slag" from Borderlands, where it doesn't really damage it by itself, but because the vehicle is hot, other damage sources are amplified.

Neat idea. SB just seems a little too easy to use imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know you strictly arena guys aren't the most well versed in vehicle mechanics but let's see what you think about this.

If an enemy vehicle is bothering you, you can always just destroy it. Spartan Laser, Rockets, stickies, whatever. But what happens when you don't want to destroy the enemy vehicle, you want to take it for yourself. Well, you could hijack it. You could EMP it with a Plasma Pistol or Grenade Launcher then shoot the occupants out. You could flip it over with a grenade, or Gravity Hammer, or Concussion Rifle, or Revenant and kill the enemies before the can flip it and get back in.

How about this: the Sentinel Beam roasts vehicle occupants while only doing minor damage to the vehicle itself.

Like a car parked in the summer sun with the windows up, shit gets hot inside. An alien laser beam continuously focused on a vehicle seems like it could have the same effect.

That would be cool. Vehicle v infantry combat is pretty lame ATM.. it could use some nuance.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That would be cool. Vehicle v infantry combat is pretty lame ATM.. it could use some nuance.

The more Halo embraces a kickass physics engine the better we'll be off.  You used to be able to send a warthog flying with a single frag, think about that. What could possibly be more empowering against vehicles than spawning with 2 frags that will send em sky high.  it's a shame Halo 5 doesn't believe in physics lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

The more Halo embraces a kickass physics engine the better we'll be off. You used to be able to send a warthog flying with a single frag, think about that. What could possibly be more empowering against vehicles than spawning with 2 frags that will send em sky high. it's a shame Halo 5 doesn't believe in physics lol

Why would you ever bother using the Warthog then?

Uh. Have you ever played H1 - 3 lol

I've never played any kind of serious HCE btb because it's awful on mcc and I never had 16 people to play with.

In 2 and 3 a nade wouldn't send you flying lol.

Just because its possible, doesn't mean its easy. 

Besides, sometimes in h1-3 if you got naded in a hog it would go flipping around like crazy then end up... back on its wheels!  Which was stupid fun. the kind of thing halo has been missing. simple, stupid fun.

• Upvote (+1) 5

your first example is more what I'm referring to. Random events that change the map are a no no. I have no problems with doors or bridges. Those don't have to be random.

You made me think of how much I miss the indestructible vehicles from CE and how easy they were to flip.  It was so satisfying flipping a wart hog with a simple frag and then watch it proceed to splatter the occupants as it flipped and rolled over them.  I miss that.   :(

It's not like the warthog would be come useless...

Timeing a grenade perfectly to flip it wouldn't be easy, but it would give infantry SOME course of action.

The current meta in BTB and Warzone - get in vehicle or die - is pretty lame.