CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If your on Halo Dead or A Five: Mediocre in the near future, and I am online, care to shit on my map A little?

Will do man!

You should ask Boyo instead. He's much smarter and not as whiny. Sorry Multi there's a new Edge Lord Forge Master in town.

I'm out of plus rep so I guess I'll have to neg you for now.

We were never given a concrete reason why Extraction, Oddball, Assault or KotH weren't included on launch day, or why 3/4ths of those still aren't default gametypes.

I never understood this either. Bungie put time and resources into writing a gametype scripting system for Reach to make gametypes less "hardcoded" and more easily developed and distributed (which is how gametypes like Chess could be distributed from dev to retail without TU's). 343i, and eventually the community, leveraged that same system all throughout Halo 4 to great effect.

But with Halo 5's anemic launch and gametype-light support afterword, I have to wonder if that system even still exists. Don't get me wrong, gametypes with new assets will still need its own game update. Gametype logic was made modular, not gametype assets. But the sheer lack of them just seems indicative of a difficult pipeline (or some kind of apathy/lack of focus on gametypes). Writing the script logic behind Oddball isn't difficult (someone "wrote it" in fucking Forge script after all), and the assets/Forge changes needed to support it seem minimal at worst. Hell, the hardest part of development would probably be shipping Steitzer in to say "Play ball" and a few other lines in some goofy way. Its all just...weird.

I never understood this either. Bungie put time and resources into writing a gametype scripting system for Reach to make gametypes less "hardcoded" and more easily developed and distributed (which is how gametypes like Chess could be distributed from dev to retail without TU's). 343i, and eventually the community, leveraged that same system all throughout Halo 4 to great effect.

But with Halo 5's anemic launch and gametype-light support afterword, I have to wonder if that system even still exists. Don't get me wrong, gametypes with new assets will still need its own game update. Gametype logic was made modular, not gametype assets. But the sheer lack of them just seems indicative of a difficult pipeline (or some kind of apathy/lack of focus on gametypes). Writing the script logic behind Oddball isn't difficult (someone "wrote it" in fucking Forge script after all), and the assets/Forge changes needed to support it seem minimal at worst. Hell, the hardest part of development would probably be shipping Steitzer in to say "Play ball" and a few other lines in some goofy way. Its all just...weird.

Well, Certain Afiinity did a humongous chunk of Halo 4, so that speaks to why the game runs better, looks better, and feels more like Halo than Spacey Shooter 5 all things considered.

​And before the inevitable "herp derp loadoats" comment; yes. I know.  I'm saying playing Halo 4 actually felt like you were playing on a Halo engine - the way you aimed, the way you zoomed (descope lol) the weight of everything, the lighting.  Halo 5 is 343's first game and it shows, there's some much continuity problems going from 4 to 5 and I'm not even talking about the campaign.  The UI is massively different, the file sharing systems, the way the guns feel in your hand, it's very easy to  tell it's made by a different developer. 

Which is also why the moment I played the Doom MP the first thing that popped in my head was "Halo 4".  H2A, DOOM, and H4 all have Certain Affinity's stamp on it.  And while they make a lot of shitty game design decisions (it's yet to be seen if that's their fault or 343's) the quality of their work is incredible.  They've got a knack for making things look great and feel great to just move around on.  They just need some better design leads, and they're actually hiring rn I believe if anyone wants to give it a go.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is also why the moment I played the Doom MP the first thing that popped in my head was "Halo 4".  H2A, DOOM, and H4 all have Certain Affinity's stamp on it.  And while they make a lot of shitty game design decisions (it's yet to be seen if that's their fault or 343's) the quality of their work is incredible.  They've got a knack for making things look great and feel great to just move around on.  They just need some better design leads, and they're actually hiring rn I believe if anyone wants to give it a go.

Do you know if CA designed the DOOM MP maps? They are some of the best maps I've ever played in a shooter, I love the fact that most of them are assyms, have skillful jumps and death traps and play completely different from one another. And like all of CA's work they just look stunning. Despite DOOM's flaws (Demon Rune, Hack Modules, Loadouts etc.) I still enjoy the game, mostly because of the great map and gametype variety.

Do you know if CA designed the DOOM MP maps? They are some of the best maps I've ever played in a shooter, I love the fact that most of them are assyms, have skillful jumps and death traps and play completely different from one another. And like all of CA's work they just look stunning. Despite DOOM's flaws (Demon Rune, Hack Modules, Loadouts etc.) I still enjoy the game, mostly because of the great map and gametype variety.

They did and I completely agree.  Some of the best MP level design I've ever seen.

Well, Certain Afiinity did a humongous chunk of Halo 4, so that speaks to why the game runs better, looks better, and feels more like Halo than Spacey Shooter 5 all things considered.

As much as Certain Affinity does have issues with designing some maps (Frame drops on Remnant, going for looks over performance. Although, this is the only example I can think of, thus far), they certainly do know how to make Halo better than 343i does.

As much as Certain Affinity does have issues with designing some maps (Frame drops on Remnant, going for looks over performance. Although, this is the only example I can think of, thus far), they certainly do know how to make Halo better than 343i does.

If I'm not mistaken the president of CA is the reason halo 2 MP was so badass.

This would explain why they are so much better at making Halo...

If I'm not mistaken the president of CA is the reason halo 2 MP was so badass. In fact halo2 MP as we know it would have been ass w/o him.

This would explain why they are so much better at making Halo, they've got to keys.

They did and I completely agree.  Some of the best MP level design I've ever seen.

Thanks and that's awesome to hear. I wish 343i quit making games and just handled the overall franchise development and EU stuff (not that they're great at that either lol). But if CA made a Halo game with graphics and art style like H2A, gameplay like classic Halo and maps on par with DOOM the franchise would turn around instantly.

Thanks and that's awesome to hear. I wish 343i quit making games and just handled the overall franchise development and EU stuff (not that they're great at that either lol). But if CA made a Halo game with graphics and art style like H2A, gameplay like classic Halo and maps on par with DOOM the franchise would turn around instantly.

Word on the street is Certain Affinity is working on their own game, so.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Imagine an alternate 2017 where Certain Affinity and Blur get contracted to create Halo 3: Anniversary. And they continue the aesthetic set by Halo 2: Anniversary. Aaaaaaaa.

Is Gold Bar at 5k?

I soon will stand among the titans, immortal. Everlasting.

The superior gold bars of Beyond.

The most impressive part is you did it in this thread.

I think 99.8% of my posts are in this thread. 

DOOM MP could have been so much better with such little changed. Such is life as a Halo fan. 

Yeah I haven't cared for pro Halo since Halo 3 and I can't stand to scroll past the endless Team/Player posts in the HCS thread.  It's only worth it when you find a great gif lol. 95% of my posts are in this thread.

I think 99.8% of my posts are in this thread. 

DOOM MP could have been so much better with such little changed. Such is life as a Halo fan. 

I talked to Marty Stratton about this for like 30 minutes at E3, one on one.  We traded phone numbers afterwards

• Upvote (+1) 2

Same. Idc about scrims or team changes. Teams change WAY too often to keep up. I only envy that thread bc interesting people pop in there to post, like pros and devs, whereas this thread has the same 20 people going around in circles every day. I live for the theory discussion, idea pitching, and comparing certain aspects of one game to another. There's only so many times I can read the same complaints about H5 before I wonder why people haven't just moved on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I LIKE BOTH THREADS OK.

I miss @@Boyo

Really lit up the thread.

Just a few more hours...