CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I feel like a lot of H4s bullshit and H3s equipment would've actually been cool for Warzone.

H4 Regen Field, Sentry Turret, and Jetpack (limited fuel) would all make for good equipment.

Well, that's not totally true. H3 unscoped had healthy auto aim. H4 had a metric ton of auto aim and bullet mag, and I don't think H5s unscoped bullet mag is as low as people think it is. Still feels easy.

Seriously, I can no scope better in H5 than any other Halo game (besides the Beam Rifle in the 4) I load up any other Halo and no scoping is much harder.

H4 Regen Field, Sentry Turret, and Jetpack (limited fuel) would all make for good equipment.

AA's should just return in general (as map pickups for the base game, anyway). I always liked how different they could make things, and as long as they make them, or include an option to, drop upon death they could serve to be on par with power weapons in terms of the need to control.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

AA's should just return in general (as map pickups for the base game, anyway). I always liked how different they could make things, and as long as they make them, or include an option to, drop upon death they could serve to be on par with power weapons in terms of the need to control.

No. They need to remove most current AAs from the game. Any additions should come in the form of unique weapons, not the return of stuff from halo 4 that made it the worst multiplayer in the franchise.

The games mechanics need to be simplified

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. They need to remove most current AAs from the game. Any additions should come in the form of unique weapons, not the return of stuff from halo 4 that made it the worst multiplayer in the franchise.

Forgive me, when I think of AA's, I actually completely forget Halo 4 exists (or just forget it exists in general). I would still like the ones from Reach to return, not necessarily in their fullest capacity, but at least as an option. I'm not suggesting that Halo's base mechanics be any more than what they were in Halo 3 or even ZBNS.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree with this but I don't really know how to express that in a way that means anything to the people who develop Halo games. Saying "I want it to feel like Halo" is so tired and over used at this point that I really don't think it holds any meaning to them. Essentially all of the extra movement mechanics added post H2 need to go imo in my own ideal Halo game. I really don't mind new weapons and mechanics unless they erase what came before. Sure go crazy with guns, things you can pick up or whatever. Add turrets that you can deploy for all I care. It should all be able to be removed and the base game of Halo should remain though and it shouldn't be so shocking and placed literally everywhere you can think of that when I play default it feels like I'm playing another series of games. This is where Reach/4/5 messed up. Movement abilities simply replaced how we played the game before instead of adding to it. Infinity weapon spawns were a total joke. In Reach and even more so in H5 the maps we liked to play on were taken away to accommodate the new movement etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would like it if they turned the Concussion Rifle into a grenade type. Spawn them in groups of three and then you can do conc jumps without putting your power weapon away. This way even if your shields take a hit from the conc jump, you still pop into the room and immediately wreck house with your rocket launcher.

Campaign needs:

- set pieces with high-replayability.  In H2 and H3 if we were bored with MP we would play some split screen or co-op campaign just for fun.  Read that again: Just for fun.  Cuz it was fun. where has that been the last 2 games?

I recall a Q&A session (maybe it was neogaf or reddit or something) where a supposed 343 employee claimed that "Make Prometheans fun to fight" was on their wall of ideas and tasks that many studios have during the development cycle of Halo 5. 

I mean, suffice to say that that obviously didn't happen, but at least they know. Sort of.

I don't like how they changed some of the Covenant (particularly the Hunters) to be more bullet spongy, and none of the missions have that oomph that missions like Silent Cartographer (or all of Halo CE, really), Gravemind (Quarantine Zone is a close second, but this part puts Gravemind over the top), The Covenant (a lot of Halo 3 was good gameplay, but The Covenant is certainly the largest in scale that every Halo since has failed to meet), and all of ODST (what can I say? ODST was very well done for what it was. It's music was also the best of the series).

There's just no character in 343's Halo, and not even the greatness that is Nathan Fillion, who, admittedly, was probably my only like in Halo 5 for his genuine feeling interactions with Locke, can make up, both in story and gameplay.

I fully understand the hate for the story of Halo 5's campaign, but I don't get the hate for the gameplay at all. Those levels were really memorable, and I had a fun time playing through on Heroic. Legendary is a different story, bc it's tedious and awful, but my first playthrough on Heroic was great, if we're talking strictly gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I fully understand the hate for the story of Halo 5's campaign, but I don't get the hate for the gameplay at all. Those levels were really memorable, and I had a fun time playing through on Heroic. Legendary is a different story, bc it's tedious and awful, but my first playthrough on Heroic was great, if we're talking strictly gameplay.

The Sanghelios levels were hands down some of my favourite in the franchise - absolutely amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I mean, yeah. The story is trash. 343i has no idea how to make a good story, and the gameplay didn't need me having an aneurysm while playing.

But I can't say I enjoyed much if not any of Halo 5's campaign gameplay either. It was better than the button pushing of Halo 4, don't get me wrong, but Warden Eternal was stupid (especially when they decided to say "Fuck making a different boss, let's just make you fight 3 of them"), I don't really like how the Prometheans play since most are just a chore to deal with (and a solid 75% of them are carrying one shot weapons), the team AI is stupid (I expected as much, but Republic Commando is still a thing that got AI right several years ago and I don't understand why it hasn't gotten better yet), and the Covenant don't feel right.

On top of that, there's really no levels in the game that have that Bungie Halo feeling to it with all sorts of tanks and whatnot. I mean, there were two levels (that I recall) with a Scorpion but it wasn't a challenge or anything, and it worst they just whittled you down until the tank blew up and then that was no longer a thing (fuck the long range Promethean turrets, btw. Once the tank died, it was annoying running into 3-4 of them at once and getting focused). 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Whaaaaaat the H5 campaign gameplay was awful lol. Nothing felt believable at all, bunch of boxes within bigger boxes.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I played through Heroic and Legendary solo and i can't think of any standout specifics, other than having the fight the fucking boss 10 times. 

That one Elite world had some cool colors and art but other than that it was all terrible. I'd take 10 Flood levels over fighting the Prometheans ever again. Such a boring enemy to fight. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I played through Heroic and Legendary solo and i can't think of any standout specifics, other than having the fight the fucking boss 10 times. 

That one Elite world had some cool colors and art but other than that it was all terrible. I'd take 10 Flood levels over fighting the Prometheans ever again. Such a boring enemy to fight. 

It would help if you weren't constantly out of ammo and trying to find a fucking light rifle because it takes a billion shots to kill any of the bigger Prometheans and 343 loved to put like 5 of them in every room. Its not even hard its just a shit story with tons of bullet sponges and crappy bridges/straight lines covered in boxes. Basically everything bad about the H2 brute was repeated. The boss fights were actually terrible too. If I had fought with the guy once I would've said it was mechanically poor and uninteresting but for some reason we had to kill him like 10 times lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forgive me, when I think of AA's, I actually completely forget Halo 4 exists (or just forget it exists in general). I would still like the ones from Reach to return, not necessarily in their fullest capacity, but at least as an option. I'm not suggesting that Halo's base mechanics be any more than what they were in Halo 3 or even ZBNS.

every time we discuss aas we need to do so with the assumed asterisk "for casual modes only."

I still think they serve a purpose in gametypes like invasion, where roles are clearly defined. You don't need abilities for it to work as a mode but I think it helps bring that role element out a lot more than if you had the mode but without the abilities.

For regular casual slayer modes I'd be fine with one ability on the map that's limited in some way, like for jetpack there would be fuel or the actual pack could explode after a few shots and severely damage the player. Perhaps shields wouldn't recharge since power for the shields was being diverted to the jetpack or something.

When it comes to invasion though, I'm fiddling with the notion that for it to really work as a mode, it needs to be its own section of the game like warzone is. Fuck even a utility weapon would be out of place in a role based gametype like invasion. Reach was already the kind of game where team play was forced through weakening the player. If we theoretically got our halo ce sequel, where all the things great about ce carried over, than invasion would feel so alien in comparison just in terms of philosophy. Maybe that's an argument against having the mode though. I don't know, I really do love the mode but I can't help but think of how much different it fundamentally is to what I'd say is the ideal halo core.

I still think that the H2 E3 BR would be a perfect starting weapon moving forward. 

Ugh man, can they just PLEASE reboot the series with the OG, scrapped Halo 2?

• Downvote (-1) 1

The Sanghelios levels were hands down some of my favourite in the franchise - absolutely amazing.

I thought the Sanghelios levels were divine to traverse through, but the I'm not exactly thrilled how the gameplay/story went. This seemed like perfect opportunity for a Jul 'Mdama showdown, but you know, climatic introductions to H5 and all.

I still think that the H2 E3 BR would be a perfect starting weapon moving forward. 

You mean the Halo 4 Light Rifle?

I thought the Sanghelios levels were divine to traverse through, but the I'm not exactly thrilled how the gameplay/story went. This seemed like perfect opportunity for a Jul 'Mdama showdown, but you know, climatic introductions to H5 and all.

Nah lets kill him in the first level so people think Locke is a good soldier

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only really cool things in H5 campaign was running down the guardian, and climbing the tower on merdian while it's blowing up even if it felt like a Michael Bay movie. Though nothing made me feel as intense as landing on the beach on Cartographer on legendary. Or going through the Arbiters Mausoleum at all.