CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Why do developers of arena shooters feel the need to name their games like they are a 12 year old CoD MLG pro quickscoper. Nexuiz, Xonotic, Reflex, or my favorite, Toxikk. Who thinks of that shit? I guess Reflex is okay but the other 3... lmao

I 100% agree. The name itself is a turnoff to a lot of people.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why do developers of arena shooters feel the need to name their games like they are a 12 year old CoD MLG pro quickscoper. Nexuiz, Xonotic, Reflex, or my favorite, Toxikk. Who thinks of that shit? I guess Reflex is okay but the other 3... lmao

This plus the marketing or lack thereof is the biggest reason AFPS have been dead for a few years. If the game is going to be hard af to get into, at least make the name not 100% cringy as it makes it even harder to try and get friends to buy the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Absolutely. It was a great game despite having some of the most bugs I've seen in a finished FPS. I'm actually not aware of the development issues that plagued this game. What happened?

I have heard of Xonotic but I never watched any competitive gameplay. I did enjoy Nexuiz' art style even though it felt like the sun was always reflecting in my eyes. It looks like I would like the gameplay of Xonotic even better though. When the game first launched I was on their forums and it was the most dead gaming forum I think I ever signed up for. Like seriously there must have been 9 threads total and 30 members. Awesomenauts was way more active lol.

Basically, the community was working on the Nexuiz project when someone sold the source code and rights to a company wanting to adapt it for PS3. Perhaps unfamiliarity with the code contributed to the bugs you alluded to.

From http://xonotic.org/faq/#what-prompted-the-split-from-nexuiz:7f013166342b67894be6647c57c00169

Lee Vermeulen, the Nexuiz project founder, decided to license the Nexuiz code (with LordHavoc licensing the Darkplaces engine) to a new game development company named Illfonic so that they could develop a closed-source version for the PS3. As part of this deal, IllFonic acquired the rights to use the name Nexuiz along with the domain nexuiz.com, and are under no obligation to contribute code back to the open-source Nexuiz project (and have stated that they have no intention of doing so).

When this was announced, the response from the Nexuiz community was overwhelming negative, even among the development team and main contributors. Vermeulen had not actively participated in the project for several years and all development had been done by the community. Most members have expressed a sense of betrayal and cited the project as an example of mushroom management. Vermeulen essentially cashed in on the hard work of others and sold the code, name and reputation that they had built up over years without him.

Despite attempts to reason with IllFonic, they have refused to change the name of their project to a derivative name even though they have directly stated that their “version” of Nexuiz is a completely different game. The hijacking of the Nexuiz project by its absentee founder and IllFonic made it clear that it had no future as it stood and thus the community left to found Xonotic.

It's all about visibility. The developers of these games rarely have the means or know-how to pull off large-scale advertising, so high-skill indie titles rely completely on word of mouth for exposure. This means that the title for a small game needs to have very low Google search frequency so that an interested gamer can easily find it without digging through pages of results--hence the misspellings and seemingly random words. Also, Reflex changed to Reflex Arena, probably to help with search results and improve identification with the genre. Visibility is one biggest problems for these multiplayer games; another issue is quality assurance for stuff like bug testing, which is why early-access or open development is the norm.

You can read why the name "Xonotic" was chosen here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't forget that one! 

Sounds like it's doing a good job of representing the game then.

Absolutely, you can tell they all play the game still.

Proof that sprint/Spartan abilities are there because other games do it and not because 343 are visionaries trying to create a better Halo gets downvoted because it's the truth.

Still yet to see any evidence as to why Halo needs sprint or spartan abilities other than "woooooooooooooooooosh i iz sperten"

• Upvote (+1) 8

Roflmao. One of the Binary Rifle variants is so broken that you literally cannot get a headshot with it. Skip to 2:49 and see for yourself:

10/10 quality control.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If I was making an Arena shooter, I'd name it "Rapid Kin3tik Adrenalin3 inducing Arena Shizzooter Sindrome"

aka

Rḱaias Sindrome

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because Quake was already taken  Beyond%20Laughing.png

Absolutely, you can tell they all play the game still.

Proof that sprint/Spartan abilities are there because other games do it and not because 343 are visionaries trying to create a better Halo gets downvoted because it's the truth.

Still yet to see any evidence as to why Halo needs sprint or spartan abilities other than "woooooooooooooooooosh i iz sperten"

But.... isn't that the only reason you need?  :kappa:

Whenever i see this reasoning i can't help but think its the same attitude as girls on spring break going, "WOOOOHH!! im taking my top off!!!" or will farrell in Old School "I'm going streaking!!!"  Poor drunken judgement.

Ghosts, a game that was released on Xbox One anyway just got a backwards compatability release... lol.

Where's our Halo 3!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ghosts, a game that was released on Xbox One anyway just got a backwards compatability release... lol.

Where's our Halo 3!

wtf????????

xbox taking backwards compatibility to a weird level here.... Maybe they're adding crossplay between the 360 and one version????

wtf????????

xbox taking backwards compatibility to a weird level here.... Maybe they're adding crossplay between the 360 and one version????

It's not exactly unheard of for them to do this. I'm pretty sure one of the Spartan iOS games from 360 is BC on Xbox One despite an Xbox One version existing.

Ghosts though - no one asked for this.

Where's our Halo 3!

They are bleeding us dry so that when something is announced, even the slightest thing, it will be like water in a desert, except that water is actually a mirage.

Where's our Halo 3!

How the fuck is SKATE 1-3 not backwards compatible yet?  :angry:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Where's our Halo 3!

https://twitter.com/xboxuk/status/880456148629024768

You haven't heard? There's a version that "works" on Xbox one.Obviously you should go play the superior 60fps,1080p version that "works" instead of making such unrealistic demands of 343 and Microsoft smh /sarcasm
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I truly believe we have a better shot at getting an H3A before we get Halo 3 backwards compatibility honestly lol. They know it will destroy what's left of the population after Destiny 2 drops.

How the fuck is SKATE 1-3 not backwards compatible yet?  :angry:

Skate 3 has been backwards compatible for a few months now. I don't know about the others.

wtf????????

The backwards compatible version is free if you have the old disk. The One version is not free. There is a small group of plebs out there sittin fat and happy right now.

You guys remember when that one guy here tricked that other 343 apologist guy into defending an art piece from Halo 4, but the picture was actually from Tron? Can I have that picture lol I can't find it. It was like a hallway

• Upvote (+1) 3

I honestly try to play this game. But it's got so many issues outside of spartan abilities that it's insane. The thing that pisses me off the most is the upgrades on map. Any weapon you pick up is better than the pistol. It's infuriating that you can get pinged across the map with 4 weapons that spawn on the map so much easier than the pistol. This game is such a joke on any level that isn't gold 4 or pro level.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember requesting to be added to the Team Beyond Spartan Company, and no one ever got back to me.

It's not important, I just thought I heard that some unlocks were associated with them. So I want in to any Company that'll add me.

I remember requesting to be added to the Team Beyond Spartan Company, and no one ever got back to me.

It's not important, I just thought I heard that some unlocks were associated with them. So I want in to any Company that'll add me.

Request on Waypoint and then get in touch with @@Infinity

Request on Waypoint and then get in touch with @@Infinity

I have not played in forever. I can't see myself getting on and playing significantly either. While I feel like I helped grind the hell out of some of these when the game first came out I'd be completely fine with being removed from this for more active players if there is actual interest in getting the armor. Maybe I don't need to be removed now if there is space but feel free to remove me at any point in time going forward @@Infinity if needed.