CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm no expert but this piece of shit could probably perform just like a xboxox onx xx tbh lol https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WmCjD8

That seems quite equivalent to the X. The thing is, consoles have optimization going for them, and the fact that most games are specifically tailored to their hardware before being ported to PC. (I'm no expert, just from what I have heard). This in theory allows consoles to have better performance on weaker hardware.

One thing that is misleading about the X is the GPU horsepower. They keep using the 6 Tflop buzzword as if it is a real indicator of performance when realistically it is more complex. Historically, Nvidia cards had lower Tflop capabilities than AMD, but their graphics performance were on par if not better. As we all know, the X is using AMD hardware and those 6 tflops may translate to pretty much a GTX 1060, which is roughly 4 Tflops.

Another downside is the tablet CPU. 2.3GHz in 2017? Really? I hope developers can really push the envelope and create games that scale well with the 8 cores. Most PC games show a clear favor to CPU's with lesser cores but with nuclear frequencies, as evidenced by benchmarks.

Finally, I wish this "4K" fad would die already, or at least be pushed back until cheap hardware can run it. I'd rather have developers tailor their games to 1080p/1440p @ 60fps with most if not all effects maxed, rather than med-high 4k at choppy frame rates. Take Halo 5 for instance; run it at 4k or 8k or whatever you want, it will still look like shit.

The One X is not targeting a desktop/monitor environment. It is targeting a living room environment. Big TVs and controller input, not keyboard.

Yet you seem to compare all of it's virtues against a desktop/monitor environment. Of course it's going to come up short.

But if you mesure it for what it designed to be, a living room casual machine, it's a good value.

Nothing wrong with wanting an affordable machine that can push 4k content @ 60 fps for living room environments.

Not all games require greater than 60fps to be enjoyable. In fact, the majority of them don't. If it isn't a competitive FPS game, then I'd argue the fact is locked at 60 doesn't matter.

There all kinds of casual games that are fun to play that I and many people would love to play in the living room in [email protected] Halo, and FPS games in general are not on the list. That's what PCs are for.

If people are talking up performance, I am going to judge it based on the performance. And I am aware that plenty of people think 60fps is fine. I consider it a bare minimum, not even worth bragging about at this point. And sure, they can spend their money on this system that will never surpass or consistently reach that for their massive TVs with shitloads of input delay. I never suggested that it has no value for those people. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about performance and people's unrealistic expectations for how much this thing is actually going to offer.

I will take high frame rates over high resolutions and obnoxious visual effects any day. Framerate DIRECTLY affects responsiveness and "feel" of any game, not just competitive FPSs. 4K resolution and bloom do not. For the people who can't tell the difference between 60fps and 30, the XbonerenobX is a good option.

• Downvote (-1) 1

That seems quite equivalent to the X. The thing is, consoles have optimization going for them, and the fact that most games are specifically tailored to their hardware before being ported to PC. (I'm no expert, just from what I have heard). This in theory allows consoles to have better performance on weaker hardware.

One thing that is misleading about the X is the GPU horsepower. They keep using the 6 Tflop buzzword as if it is a real indicator of performance when realistically it is more complex. Historically, Nvidia cards had lower Tflop capabilities than AMD, but their graphics performance were on par if not better. As we all know, the X is using AMD hardware and those 6 tflops may translate to pretty much a GTX 1060, which is roughly 4 Tflops.

Another downside is the tablet CPU. 2.3GHz in 2017? Really? I hope developers can really push the envelope and create games that scale well with the 8 cores. Most PC games show a clear favor to CPU's with lesser cores but with nuclear frequencies, as evidenced by benchmarks.

Finally, I wish this "4K" fad would die already, or at least be pushed back until cheap hardware can run it. I'd rather have developers tailor their games to 1080p/1440p @ 60fps with most if not all effects maxed, rather than med-high 4k at choppy frame rates. Take Halo 5 for instance; run it at 4k or 8k or whatever you want, it will still look like shit.

That's why I'm hoping game devs start utilizing more cores and fast, some games actually do benefit from more cores and perform better with more cores over lower cores/higher frequencies. Especially with AMD's Threadripper and the new Intel monster core count CPUs coming out that should be the way it goes. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

If people are talking up performance, I am going to judge it based on the performance. And I am aware that plenty of people think 60fps is fine. I consider it a bare minimum, not even worth bragging about at this point. And sure, they can spend their money on this system that will never surpass or consistently reach that for their massive TVs with shitloads of input delay. I never suggested that it has no value for those people. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about performance and people's unrealistic expectations for how much this thing is actually going to offer.

I will take high frame rates over high resolutions and obnoxious visual effects any day. Framerate DIRECTLY affects responsiveness and "feel" of any game, not just competitive FPSs. 4K resolution and bloom do not. For the people who can't tell the difference between 60fps and 30, the XbonerenobX is a good option.

All the downfalls you rag on the One X for are things that only applicable to desktop/monitor (PC) environments.

There are a TON of people who play video games solely in their living room. On TVs. Even if the One X could do >60 it wouldn't mater because the environment it is targeting doesn't even do faster the 60 fps. The are barely any TV panels that do >60 fps in existence.

Microsoft is not designing a desktop machine. If you compare it to other similarly targeted CONSOLES, it sure seems like a good value to me. At least if would if there were more games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's why I'm hoping game devs start utilizing more cores and fast, some games actually do benefit from more cores and perform better with more cores over lower cores/higher frequencies. Especially with AMD's Threadripper and the new Intel monster core count CPUs coming out that should be the way it goes. 

I think some Dice games favor higher core counts. At least that is what I remember BF1 doing.

Intel is just throwing shit hoping it sticks at this point. Their knees became week, arms heavy when AMD announced the high core count Threadrippers, so they came up with a 18 core to one up AMD without doing any reasonable RnD first.

nice incompatibility issues you got there.

It is a very common potential issue, all you need is a BIOS update.

Nice operating system you got there

> buying windows in 2017

lol like just torrent that garbage or add an extra $20 to the build.

Nice wifi you got there.

why would you need wifi on a mf desktop

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

nice incompatibility issues you got there.

Nice operating system you got there

Nice wifi you got there.

Does he gots a nice

>60 Hz monitor and nice

mechanical keyboard and nice

gaming mouse and nice

desk and nice

desk chair too?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does he gots a nice

>60 Hz monitor and nice

mechanical keyboard and nice

gaming mouse and nice

desk and nice

desk chair too?

You're forgetting the power and internet bill. 

Edit: Oh, and an Xbox Elite controller for racing games.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You're forgetting the power and internet bill. 

Edit: Oh, and an Xbox Elite controller for racing games.

What about the cost of the roof over your head? Don't forget about that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It is a very common potential issue, all you need is a BIOS update.

> buying windows in 2017

lol like just torrent that garbage or add an extra $20 to the build.

why would you need wifi on a mf desktop

Buying windows in 2017, I mean to the common man, he would try to remain outside of the torrenting realm ygm

Also, I read up the BIOS issue, and your right, but you may need a different CPU for it to begin the update....

And you still need an adapter for wired or wireless networking.

And for a person to start from scratch, not torrent anything, buy EVERYTHING, including a monitor (although a console owner could just use his tv but whatever) if would cost you this

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Botheredhat360/saved/#view=ndBkLk

It would outmatch an xbox one quite nicely 

Try to reduce the price

And the one you listed, still costs above $500

EDIT: You can remove the 4GB ram sticks, going to 8GB ram dual channel.

so -$20

I've kept the GPU and CPU the same, just a different motherboard

Added a monitor

Added a wifi adapter

Added an OS

Added an optical drive (in case you dont want to install windows 7 through the motherboard bios) xbox one x has it, and we're competing here so just put it in.

Added a 4K monitor at 60Hz

Got a cheaper chassis (I think)

All the downfalls you rag on the One X for are things that only applicable to desktop/monitor (PC) environments.

There are a TON of people who play video games solely in their living room. On TVs. Even if the One X could do >60 it wouldn't mater because the environment it is targeting doesn't even do faster the 60 fps. The are barely any TV panels that do >60 fps in existence.

Microsoft is not designing a desktop machine. If you compare it to other similarly targeted CONSOLES, it sure seems like a good value to me. At least if would if there were more games.

I don't understand how their audience has anything at all to do with what I've said. I am aware that they are targeting people who expect to sit on their couch wait a full second for their button presses to register on their gigantic TV. That doesn't mean the system is offering particularly impressive performance. I'm not going to compare it only to other consoles, even if their target audience doesn't know any better. All of the issues I "rag on" exist regardless.

• Downvote (-1) 1

What about the cost of the roof over your head? Don't forget about that.

Seriously the part you complain about the most require a monitor that does > 60 Hz. The everage person does not have that. Allbe prices of 100 Hz monitors have gotten very low for low end models.

Shittty 4k TVs are a dime a dozen now and M$ knows the one x will sell because people want to feed their shitty 4k TVs shitty 4k content.

Seriously the part you complain about the most require a monitor that does > 60 Hz. The everage person does not have that. Allbe prices of 100 Hz monitors have gotten very low for low end models.

Shittty 4k TVs are a dime a dozen now and M$ knows the one x will sell because people want to feed their shitty 4k TVs shitty 4k content.

at shitty frame rates

not even crackdown runs at 60fps smh

• Upvote (+1) 1

... That doesn't mean the system is offering particularly impressive performance. ...

It does if you compare oranges to oranges.

The One X is a console. Yet all you do is compare its characteristics to PC. Because that's what you prefer. If you compare it to other consoles, it will have great performance for a tiny shitty game library.

It does if you compare oranges to oranges.

The One X is a console. Yet all you do is compare its characteristics to PC. Because that's what you prefer. If you compare it to other consoles, it will have great performance for a tiny shitty game library.

It's not apples to oranges. Consoles are locked down, dumpy PCs. You can fixate on irrelevant semantics all you want. It has nothing at all to do with my points. Stop moving the goal posts.

Y'all just need some GMYF and xpadder in your lives.

How does even that compare to console? Never played it but I know they're different but the goal is to make PC feel as close as it can right? Seems like a lot of work with how terrible the PC port is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not apples to oranges. Consoles are locked down, dumpy PCs. You can fixate on irrelevant semantics all you want. It has nothing at all to do with my points. Stop moving the goal posts.

Comparing a console to pc is is the same as comparing apples to oranges. They are designed for completely different usage environment. Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC gaming is more expensive, dude. See, you have to buy a 300 DOLLAR MONITOR! I guess TVs are free now. I was not aware. Ignore my previous posts, for I have been enlightened.

• Upvote (+1) 4

wanna say why?

No i dont want to, did you seriously had to add a monitor to a pc build? do you plug your xbox HDMI cable up your stupid ass?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1