CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

But who's "so many people?" A majority of Beyond? A majority of rHalo? A majority of the Waypoint forums? The average every day Halo player who is going to buy their game and be a paying/playing customer doesn't visit any of these online forums. We make up a minority, if anything. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, though, they say, just like when Microsoft reversed their decision on the Xbox One. But sometimes that squeeky wheel is just a vocal minority. Not saying it's good or bad, just putting it out there.

What you don't realize is that if the "vast majority of Halo players aren't visiting forums" to provide feedback, then it stands to reason that the ones who do should be an even more important focus for the developers. Not only because it's their only source of direct user feedback, but also because those users are also passionate enough TO BE A PART OF those forums and groups, and their opinions should therefore be weighted against those who aren't (and are therefore seemingly indifferent to the degree where their opinions on such matters, if they even have any, aren't as viable).

All of those forums you mentioned (yes,even waypoint) are against Sprint. That is MAJORITY of the HARDCORE AUDIENCE, which is who 343 and any developer should care about, as they will still be the people who financially support the game through microtransactions/DLC's.

Gaming got to where it is because of it's hardcore audience. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

All of those forums you mentioned (yes,even waypoint) are against Sprint. That is MAJORITY of the HARDCORE AUDIENCE, which is who 343 and any developer should care about, as they will still be the people who financially support the game through microtransactions/DLC's.

Also, Halo 4 has proven that point.

Also, Halo 4 has proven that point.

People who hated Halo 4 supported it to the very end of AGL, not because they liked it, but because they didn't want Halo to die. Majority hate Sprint, Ordinance and all of that BS. Sprint is the only mechanic still standing as of right now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just pulled this off, figured you all would enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkxz3onj8FM&feature=youtu.be

This is seriously all this game is; almost every encounter ever. The most aggravating part about this whole clip is the part where the guy who had the advantage on you with their AR, meanwhile you didn't even scrape them. However  for some reason they decided to dash away to not even finish the fight that THEY started, and most likely would have won. These mechanics make for way too many unfinished fights.

People who hated Halo 4 supported it to the very end of AGL, not because they liked it, but because they didn't want Halo to die. Majority hate Sprint, Ordinance and all of that BS. Sprint is the only mechanic still standing as of right now.

I know, I was pointing the fact that casual players who found Halo 4 "supa dupa cool" played the game for 2 months maximum.

I was part of the ones trying to throw some competitions in France even if we knew this sucked.

I know, I was pointing the fact that casual players who found Halo 4 "supa dupa cool" played the game for 2 months maximum.

I was part of the ones trying to throw some competitions in France even if we knew this sucked.

Good stuff my man. And I know, so ironic because they call H4 their "favourite game" yet they barely even played it. So fucked up

After my first positive initial impressions....

This game is pure dog shit

• Upvote (+1) 2

But who's "so many people?" A majority of Beyond? A majority of rHalo? A majority of the Waypoint forums? The average every day Halo player who is going to buy their game and be a paying/playing customer doesn't visit any of these online forums. We make up a minority, if anything. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, though, they say, just like when Microsoft reversed their decision on the Xbox One. But sometimes that squeeky wheel is just a vocal minority. Not saying it's good or bad, just putting it out there.

People always use this argument, but it's not necessarily correct, as not all the people, who remain quiet, will just buy the game. There are just as many people, who don't frequent the forums, who dislike the direction Halo is moving in, and will just move on. I have a guy at my work who is in the boat, and his mates all think the same, and none them have Halo forum accounts.

I think the hidden ranking system in Halo MCC matches me with better teammates than the one in Halo 5

Not currently, no. And I don't have any modern video game-specific portfolio items to put up anyway. I'm a general designer; most recently, I worked for a company designing e-mail campaigns & data-capture landing pages for client leads. Nothing exciting, but it does involve extensive knowledge of things like usability, data flow, UI design and efficiency, et cetera.

I also developed a proprietary CMS-like system for their recurring monthly clients of several of their marketing products (eg. their online reputation marketing product, dealership sales and service blasts/campaigns, and so on) so as to limit the amount of time spent manually creating said recurring campaigns, free up resources to take on new clients, and grow the company exponentially.

That's where my strengths really lie, in ANY setting: problem solving & maximizing efficiency.

But the aforementioned caveat of not having a computer science degree and/or any modern video game development/design work experience is why I'd never be hired, despite the fact that I'm sure Ghost, Dersky, and Neighbor also lack those credentials and have even less experience in any sort of design or development environment, video game related or otherwise.

THAT'S the frustrating part...

I think you're being a little to harsh on the 343i pro team. They've earned their street cred that got them into the video game industry. It might not be a traditional way through a degree and/or with five years of experience, but they did prove that they were some of the best players at the game. All of us can sit here and say we know a ton about the game, and I'm not saying we don't bleed Halo as much as everyone else, it's just that we don't have 'proof' of that, and that's what they worked hard on getting. Sacrificing a traditional life to live the dream of a pro gamer is by no means easy. So I think their positions are well earned. It's also not like they are making a software engineer's salary. I bet it's closer to an entry level QA tester.

But anyways, best of luck (I mean that). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The grenade radius is way too big.  I am losing almost all if not all my shields from grenades that are exploding way too far away to be doing that kind of damage.  

Clamber is right next to sprint as far as awful mechanics go

I'm toggling off "Touch to Clamber" and, not sure if it's this current build or anything, but I can hardly tell the difference between the ON/OFF.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't even register at all. On both settings.

Odd.

The grenade radius is way too big.  I am losing almost all if not all my shields from grenades that are exploding way too far away to be doing that kind of damage.  

I'm a firm believer that grenades actually curve a little towards enemies. I've literally watched grenades bounce and slightly arc down at me at an angle then explode...like they are programmed to find the best possible bounce or trajectory and adjust in the air.

Unless they are my grenades, then they bounce way too far everytime and miss.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, but in H4, h2a, and H5 it happens frequently. Not sure why.

I think it definitely has to do with the grenade hitboxes, which were likely carried over from Halo 4 and H2A. You aim for their head, you still hit it, but a round from your BR's three round burst hits the nade, which is right next to their head during the throwing animation. I haven't played the beta, but have you guys noticed that this happens most frequently with the BR?

This game has a crapload of lag compensation, it's annoying when you're behind a wall and still get shot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you're being a little to harsh on the 343i pro team. They've earned their street cred that got them into the video game industry. It might not be a traditional way through a degree and/or with five years of experience, but they did prove that they were some of the best players at the game. All of us can sit here and say we know a ton about the game, and I'm not saying we don't bleed Halo as much as everyone else, it's just that we don't have 'proof' of that, and that's what they worked hard on getting. Sacrificing a traditional life to live the dream of a pro gamer is by no means easy. So I think their positions are well earned. It's also not like they are making a software engineer's salary. I bet it's closer to an entry level QA tester.

But anyways, best of luck (I mean that).

I never said they're not worthy of their positions, especially considering they're not lead game designers but rather QA testers. However, my point is that I've not only been playing Halo as long or longer than they have, but I also have other valuable skills to bring to the table that they do not, yet they are currently employed there as I am not.

Having gone to events, or more specifically, being good at the game doesn't mean they know what goes into making a great game, what works and what doesn't, or how to expand upon that and properly implement and utilize new ideas and features. To put it another way: I am a fantastic reader, but that doesn't qualify me in any way to be a great writer.

Their skill sets, generally speaking, are more geared toward taking an existing game, learning it, and maximizing how to utilize it's features to play to their strengths. While that can be useful, it is far from being a qualification for creating or even helping create said game in the first place.

Recognizing great art and creating it are two distinctly different skills. This concept is exemplified by virtue of the fact that most game designers are very rarely experts at actually PLAYING their own games ;)

Regardless, thank you for the kind words and well wishes :)

@@HppyPnda

Yup, ever since the last update the game has been unplayable for me (UK). Constant black screens, bad hit registration and lagging out of matches, haven't played a single good match since the update and lagged out of 50% of the matches.

Example of the hit registration i'm getting.

xboxdvr.com/SNIPER+ACTIV3/4d6b7ac0-498e-48fd-910c-080c4e01fd83

(Also lol at that sprint + sword, what a joke...)