CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I just want to say, thank god there's new maps/modes coming tomorrow. 

Yeah, I can only take so much of AR starts on two maps. Bring on the BR.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Probably because it's been there since H2, and nobody else complains about it.

That's because it basically never happened in h2/h3 to the point it's not worth mentioning.

Ok then. Keep banging on about removing sprint. They won't listen to you anyway. This is how negotiations break down, when one party decides not to negotiate because they aren't getting everything entirely their own way. 343 aren't gonna listen to you because it is just an immature way of going about it.

Let me guess, you're a fan of sprint? I'm guessing feedback isn't so "immature" when it happens to be something you agree with.

343 asked for feedback, and they're getting it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They are not satisfying because there are too much medals, i don't even pay attention to them anymore since you get a medal because yo got three medals, it's ridiculous.

Well, I'd argue that you're not paying attention to them because they don't have good enough meaning/reasoning behind earning them. So earning too many medals at a time seems like a consequence of medals not having enough meaning rather than having too many. 

Say there are a fixed number of 100 medals in Halo 5. Right now it seems like you can earn 75 of them by doing ordinary things. But let's say we take those 100 medals and create a more unique meaning behind them, such as "Combat Evolved". This means you won't be flooded with medals for ordinary things, and it'll be more satisfying. So we can still have a fixed number of 100 medals, it's just that they'll be more unique and satisfying. 

. But it would at least keep with their theory that abilities should be "tied" to the spartan in different ways, and eliminate the frustrating portion of sprint.

The 'frustrating' part of sprint is the poorly designed, oversized maps and the fact that you can't shoot. Your solution would not fix these problems.

I like how people act as if we're literally banging our heads on a wall by repeatedly saying TAKE OUT SPRINT, when we're just typing words in a text box and hitting "reply".

Sorry, didn't mean to be immature.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like how people act as if we're literally banging our heads on a wall by repeatedly saying TAKE OUT SPRINT, when we're just typing words in a text box and hitting "reply".

Sorry, didn't mean to be immature.

That's what we're doing though, silly.

So, currently speaking to Halo Follower's editor Token on Skype. Sent him @@xSociety's video on Sprint. This is the conversation we are having.

[01:09:39] Batchy: so nathan, you know how you said sprint increased the skill gap?
[01:09:50] Batchy: watch that and tell me sprint is not bullshit
[01:10:36] Token: makes people harder to hit
[01:11:00] Batchy: no man
[01:11:03] Batchy: you cant say that
[01:11:18] Batchy: how does running away when you should have died increase the skill gap
[01:11:42] Batchy: if that was ce 2 or 3 those kids would be dead
[01:11:51] Batchy: they would have to fight instead of sprinting away
[01:11:55] Token: Yeah, but this is a different style
[01:12:24] Batchy: so you support dumbed down gameplay?
[01:13:29] Token: Wouldn't call it dumbed down
[01:13:37] Batchy: it is
[01:13:47] Batchy: it makes the gameplay cat and mouse
[01:13:59] Batchy: that guy easily could run back to his team and then teamshot the guy chasing
[01:14:01] Batchy: that is not Halo
[01:14:04] Batchy: that is bullshit

PRAYERS
  • Upvote (+1) 3

That's what we're doing though, silly.

We lose absolutely nothing by doing it, though. Why do logfish and other sprint fanboys act as if every request to take out sprint drains a little bit of our life force?

Real talk, I don't even know anymore.  We have desprint, we have no shield regen, people are still using it to get away, and frankly they probably always will.

Can't sprint for an entire second after thrusting?  Make it drain shields?  Explode the instant you press the button?  I don't fucking know anymore, what more can we do that we haven't already done?

I was thinking about the only way you could cripple sprint enough to make it work is to not be able to sprint whatsoever when weak and not for 5-10 seconds off spawn. It would be extremely punishing if you tried to run without putting a shot on someone as they'd just run you down instantly. It would play like shit though. I really don't know why its in the game. It doesn't play well.

So, currently speaking to Halo Follower's editor Token on Skype. Sent him @@xSociety's video on Sprint. This is the conversation we are having.

[01:09:39] Batchy: so nathan, you know how you said sprint increased the skill gap?
[01:11:18] Batchy: how does running away when you should have died increase the skill gap
[01:13:59] Batchy: that guy easily could run back to his team and then teamshot the guy chasing

PRAYERS

Wait... Halo Follower has an editor?

We lose absolutely nothing by doing it, though. Why do logfish and other sprint fanboys act as if every request to take out sprint drains a little bit of our life force?

This is what frustrates me the most.  We are passionate about this issue that is plaguing Halo and are just being told to be quiet about it because our cause is falling on deaf ears.  No.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Wait... Halo Follower has an editor?

yeah, known Nathan for a few years and he has been on them for a few months. The only person who actually has a brain is Buckeye. I swear down that Nathan said to me in the Skype call that Sprint increases the skill gap, because it makes things "less predictable". I hate people

• Upvote (+1) 3

[01:09:40] Batchy:

PRAYERS

Armour lock made players harder to hit if they timed it properly. I guess that increases skill-gap too.

Jetpack makes players harder to hit if they use it correctly. I guess that increases skill-gap as well.

In reality, skill-gap isn't increased just because it makes a player's job harder. Sprint makes the running player's job easier with less effort, and so his ability to make his chaser's job difficult is not actually skill-based in comparison to the alternative: running from a player who can shoot and chase at a matched speed. Skill-gap is actually lowered when a player's ability to give his enemy a hard time is made to be more effortless.

Link him to this post

The most frustrating thing is that Halo 5 has the groundwork and foundation to be a GREAT Halo game. And both the community and 343 know exactly how to shape it into one. It's 343's relentless aversion to pull the trigger on it that is road blocking things.

• Remove sprint

• Increase base movement speed

• Scale maps down slightly (doesn't even have to be much, so long as base movement speed increase is significant)

• Make ground-pound something to be earned (like personal ordinance was, sort of)

• Speed up ADS animations

• Reduce magnetism & power of AR & SMG

• Remove aiming reticule from ground pound until you've been charging for at least a second (so as to make it less distracting when performing quick crouch-jumps), or (more preferably)...

• ...Change ground-pound button from holding crouch to "hold Left & Right bumper* (edit)", especially for Bumper Jumper (makes more sense: jump + melee buttons), alleviating mistakenly charging when attempting crouch jump, for example

• Remove flinch animations when being shot, as they provide no benefit and only serve to needlessly distract

• Remove or at least provide toggle option for in-game chatter

• Remove "enemy team has [power weapon name here]" AI callouts, but keep other power weapon audio notifications (or perhaps just text-based ones in activity feed)

• Remove "death music" and speed up ability to toggle through teammates views while waiting to respawn

• Remove cheesy, pointless "high five photo ops" at beginning and end of game, replace with longer map overview at beginning and more interesting winning-team stats at end of game

These changes alone, along with the obvious "option to remove impulse trigger vibration" (which are obviously oversights and will be in the final release anyway) would make Halo 5 not only fun to play, but also an incredibly competitive and entertaining game, both to watch and to play.

Throw in a custom game browser, in-game clans/team builder with a "team-only" based playlist requiring you to be part of a team and have at least 4 of those players online and in your party in order to search in the team-ranked playlist, as well as both a team-based and individual-based in-game leaderboard (with ability to challenge a higher ranked team to rank up faster, as well as the ability to watch the higher ranked teams play & learn from them), and Halo would not only be back to being a top 3 FPS game (both competitively and casually), but I believe would actually topple CoD for the #1 spot. Easily.

THAT'S a game I would gladly pay full price for any day, as I'm sure MANY people easily would as well. So why the hell not do it?! It's a god damned no-brainer!

• Upvote (+1) 7

xboxdvr.com/MATCLAN+x+MT/5f4eb1a1-d7f3-4ff7-b59e-21fde02fdc6c

It's a fairly nice clip that I got and a use of stabilisers that I like, but the actual shots themselves definitely did not feel as difficult as I would expect them to in Halo. I don't know if Halo CE being the only game in the MCC that I've bothered playing since the past few patches has contributed, but I'm notoriously bad with sniper rifles across all of the Halo games I put time into yet in Halo 5 I can produce a clip like that. The reticle feels like it adheres to players far too strongly, and especially when unscoped I think it would benefit from the H2(A) approach of having no red reticle or noticeable aim assist at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Armour lock made players harder to hit if they timed it properly. I guess that increases skill-gap too.

Jetpack makes players harder to hit if they use it correctly. I guess that increases skill-gap as well.

In reality, skill-gap isn't increased just because it makes a player's job harder. Sprint makes the running player's job easier with less effort, and so his ability to make his chaser's job difficult is not actually skill-based in comparison to the alternative: running from a player who can shoot and chase at a matched speed.

Link him to this post

I linked the first 2 paragraphs to him, will let you know if he responds

The Halo Follower guys wouldn't say anything bad about Halo. He'll justify why the brutes shit he just took is pretty good and beneficial to the game. 

I'm holding out hope that Eden is somehow way better than Empire. Good god does Empire suck.

Eden is just a "remix" of Empire* (fixed). It's the same map with a different look and some modified routes/structural changes. Don't expect an entirely new map.