CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

>double down on Master Chief focus

That's cool and all, but Blue Team and Osiris should've been likable characters to those who haven't read the books with interesting stories in the first place. If Halo's only interesting character is the Chief, then this franchise will not make it to 30 years like Microsoft has desired.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm writing up a document, and I really need some hard numbers for weapon killtimes. I have a Halo 2 sheet, but I need a Halo 3 one

I would help you if I could man.I suggest grabbing a couple people,using cookie4u's method,and finding the killtimes.I'm looking forward to it as the only ones where the killtimes are well documented from my cursory Google search were CE and 5.

I would help you if I could man.I suggest grabbing a couple people,using cookie4u's method,and finding the killtimes.I'm looking forward to it as the only ones where the killtimes are well documented from my cursory Google search were CE and 5.

It is a document about the Halo 5 sandbox in general, I'll talk more about it later.

For months I haven't noticed issues with heavy aim. Since the last playlist update I now have it every game, some of you guys have been putting up with this for months? I'm about to throw my controller through my screen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

>double down on Master Chief focus

That's cool and all, but Blue Team and Osiris should've been likable characters to those who haven't read the books with interesting stories in the first place. If Halo's only interesting character is the Chief, then this franchise will not make it to 30 years like Microsoft has desired.

It's classic 343 backpedalling, but I also don't mind making Chief the focus of the mainline games for the next while, they'll just have to switch things up later down the line when Downes retires.

It's classic 343 backpedalling, but I also don't mind making Chief the focus of the mainline games for the next while, they'll just have to switch things up later down the line when Downes retires.

Easy.

Chief is shot in the neck during a battle and becomes mute.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't Downes retiring soon?

Isn't Downes retiring soon?

I keep seeing this everywhere but I've yet to see any proof of it. I mean Steve Downes posted the WCCTech article on Twitter himself and seems to approve of the new direction.

And really, voicing a protagonist who doesn't speak THAT much shouldn't be too cumbersome for him in retirement.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Problem with 343's sound design is they try too hard to make everything sound realistic, but then they over do it and it sounds weird. Compare the CE magnum to the H5 magnum, the CE one doesn't sound realistic exactly but it sounds 100 times better than the H5 magnum which has been made to sound like a real weapon, which probably uses samples of real weapons. I think it should sound GOOD before it tries to sound realistic, this is sci-fi after all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I miss the classic sounds in Halo

giphy.gif

That is so much better! I hate 343's sound design more than anything else, literally anything. I stopped playing Halo 4 because of the sound design, I would have stopped regardless but I stopped sooner due to that.

It's the equivalent of shit all over the walls and floors on maps but for audio. Too much junk noise and it's all scrambled around and there is no clear design. 

I don't mind Halo 5's sound design, but you can definitely tell the distinction between the classic sounds and everything from Halo 4 and Halo 5; with the caveat that Halo 5's sound design is at least tolerable compared to Halo 4's.

I want to like this game, the HCS Preview is pretty fun, but man it just feel so off from what I feel Halo is. Sure it has some of the same mechanics as other more traditional Halo games, but it just feels so off. I really enjoy the game when I make myself forget it's actually a Halo game :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Problem with 343's sound design is they try too hard to make everything sound realistic, but then they over do it and it sounds weird. Compare the CE magnum to the H5 magnum, the CE one doesn't sound realistic exactly but it sounds 100 times better than the H5 magnum which has been made to sound like a real weapon, which probably uses samples of real weapons. I think it should sound GOOD before it tries to sound realistic, this is sci-fi after all.

BUT

IMMERSION!!

I've lost my shields in the game before and turned to hit the guy who punched me but it turns out i was being sniped across the map. That would tell you everything there is to know about their audio team

• Upvote (+1) 5

Let's not forget that warthogs and ghosts emit ZERO sound when they are behind you. Good fucking job guys. Every time I get splattered from behind with no sound whatsoever leading up to it, I lose my shit on the sound team.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Let's not forget that warthogs and ghosts emit ZERO sound when they are behind you. Good fucking job guys. Every time I get splattered from behind with no sound whatsoever leading up to it, I lose my shit on the sound team.

It's because the helmet is blocking their ability to hear behind them duh. Have you ever worn a helmet before. Get immersed noob.

• Upvote (+1) 6

So even CoD is abandoning the enhanced mobility trend and going back to its roots. Please 343 if there is one last thing you want to copy from CoD, let it be this.

• Upvote (+1) 1