CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

First of all I think it would be obvious that people who didn't grow up with the original games wouldn't tend to think they were better.  As most of them hadn't even played those games they would have absolutely no reference point to make any kind of judgement about them.  Like is that statement supposed to actually mean anything?

Admittedly I do think gaming was better in general in the late 90's and early 2000's.  But I can actually back up that viewpoint with insightful arguments that don't simply boil down to "OLD WUZ BETTUR FUK THIS KID SHIT".  In fact I'd really enjoy the opportunity to just spill out every problem I have with modern gaming as a whole, but the guy probably isn't interested in a sincere dialogue.

I'd start by saying how much better I think Doom1's level design and enemy variety is compared to any of the CoD games.

He'd say I'm blinded by nostalgia.

I'd tell him the game came out in 1993, I was born in 1994, and that I have literally no prior attachment to it except for when I played it for the first time a few months ago.

He'd accuse me of lying and continue to push his nostalgia narrative.

• Upvote (+1) 9

You use a scope on your rifles in BF1? stupid noob. Everyone knows iron sights are the most pro way to play.

Negged because that was the beginning of the game and had forgotten to switch to my SMLE infantry.  :intensifies:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Fuck, I hate the nostalgia argument. It's just projection. These are the kind of people who argue that new is better, older games are just dated, and you just need to adapt. So, naturally, they think that people who disagree must have the exact opposite opinion. But that's not how it works. These older games aren't just better just because "games were better back in my day." They are actually fucking better. Of course, you have to play them to know that. These are the kids measuring console dick sizes because one system is running 900p/30fps instead of 1080p/30fps, as if it matters. AI is probably garbage on both platforms, but who cares about that?

​...And now we have AssCreed, Watch Dogs, and "Ghost Recon" Wildlands (funnily enough, though, Rainbow Six recently got a decent entry). I don't need a pair of nostalgia goggles to compare the bad-ass classic Tom Clancy games to modern Ubisoft garbage and notice the blatant difference. I don't need fond memories of Halo CE (though, obviously, I have them) to recognize its merits as a competitive game (and objectively superior vehicle physics).
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Played for 3 hours last night after a two week hiatus (I hate the resets). Was the game always this much of an AR fest ?

Negged because that was the beginning of the game and had forgotten to switch to my SMLE infantry. :intensifies:

Negged because I'm petty as fuck, stupid noob, get on my level. (SMLE ie king)

• Upvote (+1) 1

It hasn't, but if it did, I would imagine it being downvoted to oblivion.

I dont know man theres definitely a pro "classic" wave running through reddit halo the last few days.

Fuck, I hate the nostalgia argument. It's just projection. These are the kind of people who argue that new is better, older games are just dated, and you just need to adapt. So, naturally, they think that people who disagree must have the exact opposite opinion. But that's not how it works. These older games aren't just better just because "games were better back in my day." They are actually fucking better. Of course, you have to play them to know that. These are the kids measuring console dick sizes because one system is running 900p/30fps instead of 1080p/30fps, as if it matters. AI is probably garbage on both platforms, but who cares about that?

​...And now we have AssCreed, Watch Dogs, and "Ghost Recon" Wildlands (funnily enough, though, Rainbow Six recently got a decent entry). I don't need a pair of nostalgia goggles to compare the bad-ass classic Tom Clancy games to modern Ubisoft garbage and notice the blatant difference. I don't need fond memories of Halo CE (though, obviously, I have them) to recognize its merits as a competitive game (and objectively superior vehicle physics).

Fuck yeah Siege is a solid fucking game. I wonder if its so popular because it did its own thing and did it well, rather than doing what everyone else was doing? 343

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played for 3 hours last night after a two week hiatus (I hate the resets). Was the game always this much of an AR fest ?

yes. 

It never ceases to amaze me that r/halo resorts to a compromise mentality. How do people not realize that having an enhanced mobility playlist and a no enhanced mobility playlist will split the already small playerbase?

AIMING TO PLEASE EVERYONE WILL PLEASE NO ONE.

Honestly, the number of playlists wouldn't be an issue if the game Started out having the right playlists when the population was high.

Not having the playlists people want helps speed up the decline in the overall population. Then this small population is used as an excuse to not include the playlists people want.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Honestly, the number of playlists wouldn't be an issue if the game Started out having the right playlists when the population was high.

Not having the playlists people want helps speed up the decline in the overall population. Then this small population is used as an excuse to not include the playlists people want.

Yeah man, this is something that 343 struggled with in Halo MCC as well. A well established variety of playlist is much more beneficial for population in the long run and trimming them down (preferably merging playlists) as population dwindles below acceptable levels.

Not only that, 343 needs to work on establishing their ranked and social playlist (which has clearly been something every Halo sub-community wants) before the game releases. MCC's launch one ranked playlist killed so much of the hype, especially knowing that that rank would be reset soon anyway (officially not because of the bugs that were present in the game at the time that caused rank resets).

Man the tides seem to be turning on /r/Halo lately in regards to sprint, it gives me a tiny glimmer of hope that we have a sprintless future for Halo, don't want to get my hopes up too high though...

It hasn't, but if it did, I would imagine it being downvoted to oblivion.

Took the chance of posting it - score of +392 now, with 83% upvotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/62drdc/sprint_speeds_up_the_game/

EDIT: The only thing that is needed is more votes on the comments explaining to the idiots that the increase in map size is not a flaw in the methodology, but another negative consequences of sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Man the tides seem to be turning on /r/Halo lately in regards to sprint, it gives me a tiny glimmer of hope that we have a sprintless future for Halo, don't want to get my hopes up too high though...

Im not sure whats started it but im loving it, maybe its the whole HWC venue memes controvesy that did the rounds on social media reigniting the fire in long term fans that aren't or weren't happy with the direction and mismanagement of the franchise.

"Sprint speeds up the game"...

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/62drdc/sprint_speeds_up_the_game/

Amazing to see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/61xgyk/comment/dfimryi

Why do you like sprint?

"It makes me feel like a super soldier and it allows me to run away from people who are better than me"

Can't make this shit up, folks.

Yet again, that is an example of an argument being directed at the wrong thing.  I see this everywhere.

"Sprint lets me run away from better players" NO. THATS NOT THE SOLUTION.

The solution to that problem is a matchmaking system that doesn't pit you against players that are so much better than you.  Sprint is not the answer, better matchmaking is the answer.

• Upvote (+1) 1