CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Compared to the prophets and the Flood, he was weak. But those two enemies and their motivations were properly developed in game, so the comparison isn't fair- but that's 343s fault.

To be fair, they were developed only when the sequels came out, as well. :P We only got true Flood development in the tail end of Halo 2 and some with Halo 3 and it was in Halo 2 where we finally learned the Covenant's primary motive with the Great Journey. Lotta stuff in CE wasn't explained. Was merely introduced and then explained later. 

And I wouldn't say weak, he was certainly blinded by his arrogance which stopped him from doing basic shit in game, but he's the only enemy in the series to stop the Chief without touching him, and physically nonetheless, he floors the Chief. 

You wanna know a fact?

90% of the people in that thread haven't played a Halo game in 6 months. :)

How in the world do you know?

I love the argument that "competition" is why modern Halo populations drop like a stone. Not, for example, other games being more fun, complete experiences. lmfao.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I love the argument that "competition" is why modern Halo populations drop like a stone. Not, for example, other games being more fun, complete experiences. lmfao.

If competition was an excuse than no game would ever be popular

• Upvote (+1) 2

You wanna know a fact?

90% of the people in that thread haven't played a Halo game in 6 months. :)

So ... the same as the Team Beyond forums users ...
  • Upvote (+1) 9

I'll have you know I played super fiesta a week ago and am perfectly qualified to have an opinion on every aspect of this game

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't know who the villain should be, but I do know that I'm sick of Prometheans and want something else in H6.

Prometheans are terrible enemies to fight. I need to have a sit down with whoever thought it would be cool to replace the health/shield dynamic + 'clever-yet-exploitable' tactics of the Covenant with teleporting bullet sponges armed with homing weapons.

To be fair, they were developed only when the sequels came out, as well. :P We only got true Flood development in the tail end of Halo 2 and some with Halo 3 and it was in Halo 2 where we finally learned the Covenant's primary motive with the Great Journey. Lotta stuff in CE wasn't explained. Was merely introduced and then explained later.

And I wouldn't say weak, he was certainly blinded by his arrogance which stopped him from doing basic shit in game, but he's the only enemy in the series to stop the Chief without touching him, and physically nonetheless, he floors the Chief.

There's nothing wrong with developing arcs over the course of a trilogy, actually, that's exactly how trilogies are supposed to be.

The first installment should be an introduction to your cast, establish the central conflict, and setup your universe. By the end of CE, you have a basic understanding of what each factions motivations are, but plot threads are clearly left open for further exploration (more halo rings exist, Covenant wants to launch them for religious reason, Flood wants to eat everything in the galaxy, both of those situations suck for Humans ). It also should setup preestablished relationships (covenant has been fucking humanity up for decades for no apparent reason.)

In the second installment, protagonists should hit rock bottom, in terms of dealing with the central conflict (earth is located by covey + Flood) And there should be a major plot twist that alters the course of proceeds (great schism) all while providing additional insight on the essential factions. You achieve this by introducing new enemies (Tartarus+ Brutes, Gravemind) and/or new ally's (Arbiter+ Elites, Miranda) and often an unexpected decision or tactic from the antagonist (Schism)

There's usually some failure or great loss for which the protagonist is expected to face difficult consquences such as death, separation of characters, breakup. H2 used all of these. H5 really used none.

The end goal begins to become clear. No clue what the end goal of H3 should be.

The third installment should begin to deal with consequences of act 2, reiterate main goal, and tie up loose ends pertaining to the central conflict.

With 343s Halo's we've yet to see anything resembling structure. The H4 did a shit job of establishing a central conflict. The Didact appeared to be it, but was (seemingly) killed as quickly as he was introduced and his motivations weren't built up over the course of the game (like the Covenant)- It was all dumped into the players lap in a single cutscene. With him dead, what was supposed to be the overarching threat of the Forerunner Saga? The player has NO IDEA going into H5. The previous relationship (ancient humans vs Forerunners) was poorly setup. Most people I talk to still don't know that Ancient Humanity was a thing after playing H4.

The second installment is supposed to build on the conflict established in the 1st. In H5 we get an entirely new conflict- completely out of thin air. We also that plot threads tied up (jul mdama) that most players can have no appreciation for (because it was built up off screen). We have plot threads that are completely forgotten about (Janus Key, Halsey vs UNSC) and we have a massive new cast of allies who add absolutely zero perspective to the sagas central conflict (whatever that is now) and a new enemy (Warden) who also adds nothing. There was 0 buildup for key plot devices (the domain, the guardians).

So will H6 be a third act or yet another 1st act like both H4 and H5 were? I dunno man it's just such a mess. 343s already retconning shit.

As far as Didact being weak, I wasn't talking about his physical presence. I'm saying that in the game, his character wasn't written in a way that helped make the story compelling. He was a disposable sidedish to the Cortana + Chief main course.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm at the stage where I don't mind watching some of the Pro games, but the thought of playing the game doesn't even come to my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If competition was an excuse than no game would ever be popular

H5 is obviously the best FPS ever made. People just don't play it because other FPS games exist.

Or like the majority of the people who bought Halo 5. :walshy: 

• Upvote (+1) 5

H5 is obviously the best FPS ever made. People just don't play it because other FPS games exist.

Or like the majority of the people who bought Halo 5. :walshy:

You still don't get the irony, a Beyond member making fun of a member of a different forum just because they don't play Halo and can't have an opinion in the game, yet the majority of people in this thread are the same, some even comment without having played Halo in years.

You still don't get the irony, a Beyond member making fun of a member of a different forum just because they don't play Halo and can't have an opinion in the game, yet the majority of people in this thread are the same, some even comment without having played Halo in years.

TB members have higher Halo IQ's than any other forum

You've sure made a lot of interesting assumptions here. lol.

Even so, there would seem to me to be a pretty clear distinction between insisting that Halo 5 is the God's gift to console FPS games while not playing it and deriding all of the idiotic gimmicks and obvious problems in modern Halo while not playing it (primarily because of the aforementioned gimmicks and problems). Maybe I'm still just missing the "irony."

Can't wait for everyone to be lost with no radar...Including myself

:thinking:

Can't wait for everyone to be lost with no radar...Including myself

what does this post even mean?