CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm somewhat confused to see, that peopel actually want the didact to return...

He looks like some TES design on crack and acts like a cheap Darth Vader ripoff, sleeping in his bubble and force-choking his way through the universe...

Because at this point anything would be better than Cortana as the primary antagonist ?

Someone or something will be pulling Cortanas strings, its a given at point.

Because at this point anything would be better than Cortana as the primary antagonist ?

Someone or something will be pulling Cortanas strings, its a given at point.

so we should settle for for a half-baked solution, sounds like taking the "well lets stop shields from recharging when sprinting so everybody is happy"-approach to the problem here...

yes, they would have done something to adress the problem but in the end they would only replace a shitty situation with a different shitty situation.

"Halo needed to change"

But Why. Why did it need to be changed. Can anyone think why? All it is now is Dude Shooter 5: Power armour Rangers

I should stop going to r/halo and waypoint. Constant BS about how Halo NEEDED the change, or that anyone who dislikes Halo 5 is just a 343 hating Bungie purist. I don't think I've ever seen any of them giving actual reasons to why it needed the changes, that isn't "because no one wants to play old halo" because no one wants to play modern halo either. I am genuinely curious as to if any of them have ACTUAL, WELL THOUGHT OUT REASONS to why the changes were necessary.

"Bungie purists"...

If you're referring to that art style thread on r/halo... it's painful. These hypocritcal morons will use any insult like "Bungie purist" to try and convince themselves that we are not actual Halo fans and simply Bungie ass kissers.

• Upvote (+1) 4

"Bungie purists"...

If you're referring to that art style thread thread on r/halo... it's painful. These hypocritcal morons will use any insult like "Bungie purist" to try and convince themselves that we are not actual Halo fans and simply Bungie ass kissers.

You should know that you are bending over backwards seven times over when you going out of your way to say bungies stuff looked awful in comparison to 343s "beautiful" stuff just to validate your Halo franchise can do no wrong fanboying, when it's that stuff you are shitting on that made it so big in the first place.

I have no fucking words.

No wait, yes I do:

Jesus tap dancing christ on a crucifix, you ******** fanboying cunt bandits.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm somewhat confused to see, that peopel actually want the didact to return...

He looks like some TES design on crack and acts like a cheap Darth Vader ripoff, sleeping in his bubble and force-choking his way through the universe...

Didact was an amazing villain with way more depth. I get where you're coming from though if you've never read the extended universe.

so we should settle for for a half-baked solution, sounds like taking the "well lets stop shields from recharging when sprinting so everybody is happy"-approach to the problem here...

yes, they would have done something to adress the problem but in the end they would only replace a shitty situation with a different shitty situation.

Thats how I feel tbh, I was never a fan he was a bit one note villain of the week for me and I think when people praise H4's story its not really the Didact/promethean aspect but more the Chief/Cortana relationship.

Jul I can see being forgettable, the Didact, not so much.

Will never forgive them killing Jul, though. Same for throwing the Didact away for CORTANA. These are the types of story beats where you'd swear there was no proofreading department to allow someone to go "You realize how stupid this is, right". As Moa said, hope they just toss Cortana for a Didact-controlled thing. Would turn a trash-ass story into a consistent, underwhelming one. (For Halo 5's case, at least)

I understand that people like the Didact, but as someone who didn't read the books until after I played 4, and didn't fuck around with terminals, he was pretty meh.

Just some random alien who's pissed off at me, but doesn't kill me despite being able to do so easily.

Compared to the prophets and the Flood, he was weak. But those two enemies and their motivations were properly developed in game, so the comparison isn't fair- but that's 343s fault.

If there was anything interesting about H4s story, it wasn't the villain.

Honestly, evil Cortana could have been interesting. But they should have built up to such a reveal over the course of the game, or even of a few games. As a plot thread, They could have mentioned unexplained 'anomalies' happening throughout the galaxy, and cases of AI behaving rebelliously.

It would have made sense for these things to be framed as Insurrectionist meddling or an ONI cover up, only to be revealed late that a corrupted Cortana fragment, controlled by the Didact was behind it all.

Basically, it could have a rewarding culmination of the excellent Hunt The Truth campaign and a successful follow up to H4. But instead, they Blew the plot twist while marketing the game, it happened 2 missions into the game, and it was all bullshit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 6 needs to have at least 13 Warden Eternal fights or it's going to be trash. 

Were gonna need a montage

M O N T A G E

Jul I can see being forgettable, the Didact, not so much.

Will never forgive them killing Jul, though. Same for throwing the Didact away for CORTANA. These are the types of story beats where you'd swear there was no proofreading department to allow someone to go "You realize how stupid this is, right". As Moa said, hope they just toss Cortana for a Didact-controlled thing. Would turn a trash-ass story into a consistent, underwhelming one. (For Halo 5's case, at least)

To do it so casually.... was criminal.  Hell, the entire game could have been a manhunt for Jul, explaining who he is along the way and it would have been so much better.  How do you storyboard that part of the story and not immediately go, "uhhhh guys... why is this the most anticlimactic thing ever? and why is half the battle a cutscene instead of actually playable?"

They've got the perfect setup. Everything we've seen leads us to believe the Didact was 'composed' and is currently in the Domain. No retconning required.

Some decent explanation would be though.  As someone who's knowledge of the EU is 1 book, forum posts and wiki searches, i still have no fucking idea who the didact is, why he's a Liger-human-falcon hybrid with telekinesis or what the domain is.  Those things are not explained much in the core games, and when they are explained its done poorly (H4 cutscene didact/librarian/chief/humans/forerunner relationship for example).  For me, the didact is dead and thats that.  Just like cortana should have been.

I am like the vaaaaaaast majority of the campaign-playing audience and honestly need my hand held through this shit, something that H4 and 5 have done poorly.

With Scorpio going to have the same game library at Xbox One. will 343 fuck it up with their next Halo realease and optimize scorpio really well but forget to do the same for the One leaving anyone on the one at a massive disability because they'd be stuck on 24 FPS?

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Waypoint mods piss me off so much...

Haha, what happened man? Most of them are a bunch of PC mods enforcing a PC website, so that's not surprising.

With Scorpio going to have the same game library at Xbox One. will 343 fuck it up with their next Halo realease and optimize scorpio really well but forget to do the same for the One leaving anyone on the one at a massive disability because they'd be stuck on 24 FPS?

Obviously

Didact was an amazing villain with way more depth. I get where you're coming from though if you've never read the extended universe.

depth isn't everthing though, you have to enjoy the "basics" to get anything out of "more depth" and I don't enjoy the basics of the didact.

I don't know if I would like him more if I knew the newer eu stuff (I stopped reading the books after "Contact Harvest" (is that the title?) and never was into comics..) but if you create a villain that is only intersting/likeable if you dig through half a dozen external sources, then you suck at story telling...

Haha, what happened man? Most of them are a bunch of PC mods enforcing a PC website, so that's not surprising.

It's just... them... and what they do all the time lol. I did get like a 48 hour ban recently though. I like to take jabs at them from time to time...

It's just... them... and what they do all the time lol. I did get like a 48 hour ban recently though. I like to take jabs at them from time to time...

Halo 6 will will run at 60fps on both, but it will not look like a muddy mess on the Scorpio. 

depth isn't everthing though, you have to enjoy the "basics" to get anything out of "more depth" and I don't enjoy the basics of the didact.

I don't know if I would like him more if I knew the newer eu stuff (I stopped reading the books after "Contact Harvest" (is that the title?) and never was into comics..) but if you create a villain that is only intersting/likeable if you dig through half a dozen external sources, then you suck at story telling...

Yeah I'm just saying 343 should have went the Didact + Mendicant Bias route and not this evil Cortana BS. You could always watch the H4 Terminals on Youtube. But to get the full experience I recommend the Forerunner series of books.

Some of them really frustrate the crap out of me, along with the general ignorance of the casual community in Waypoint.

"HEY 343, WE WANT MOAR ARMOR!!"

...as if there isn't already way too much in the game.

Meanwhile the game is lacking critical bullet points in a number of other gameplay-related areas... they don't care lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"HEY 343, WE WANT MOAR ARMOR!!"

...as if there isn't already way too much in the game.

Meanwhile the game is lacking critical bullet points in a number of other gameplay-related areas... they don't care lol.

Good thing that there is rarely any real interaction with 343 employees in that website. They would drive themselves insane.

I don't know who the villain should be, but I do know that I'm sick of Prometheans and want something else in H6.

• Upvote (+1) 3