CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So the narrative director spot is open at 343.\

343 Industries is looking for an experienced, passionate and highly creative Narrative Director to create engaging, compelling narrative content combined with thrilling gameplay experiences in Halo’s epic environments and universe. The Narrative Director is responsible for developing and overseeing all Narrative content including primary path, cinematic/mission dialogue and much of the fiction related to the game. A Narrative Director is expected to span disciplines, not only crafting story to fit a wide variety of game scenarios and writing the bulk of the game, but also working closely with multiple departments ensuring the success of the overall narrative vision. The ideal candidate will have previous experience as a successful game writer, outstanding communication skills, a thorough understanding of story and gameplay, experience in a writer’s room setting, the ability to work within established narrative and game play goals and an absolute passion to tell great stories in various mediums.

I'm sorry but 343 saying the want to make Halo game stories simple doesnt quite fit with engaging, compelling content.

So the narrative director spot is open at 343.\

343 Industries is looking for an experienced, passionate and highly creative Narrative Director to create engaging, compelling narrative content combined with thrilling gameplay experiences in Halo’s epic environments and universe. The Narrative Director is responsible for developing and overseeing all Narrative content including primary path, cinematic/mission dialogue and much of the fiction related to the game. A Narrative Director is expected to span disciplines, not only crafting story to fit a wide variety of game scenarios and writing the bulk of the game, but also working closely with multiple departments ensuring the success of the overall narrative vision. The ideal candidate will have previous experience as a successful game writer, outstanding communication skills, a thorough understanding of story and gameplay, experience in a writer’s room setting, the ability to work within established narrative and game play goals and an absolute passion to tell great stories in various mediums.

I'm sorry but 343 saying the want to make Halo game stories simple doesnt quite fit with engaging, compelling content.

Seems like someone from their marketing team might be a better fit, based on the difference between Hunt the Truth and the actual game.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I think 343 saying that was taken a bit out of context. Pretty sure what they mean by that is that they will not throw heaps of EU lore at players and have plots overlapping each other like crazy and all that. You can still have the story being engaging and compelling while being "simple".

On Halo Archive, Grim has responded to fans' concerns:

"It's been pretty interesting reading the different opinions and thoughts being expressed here (some more... eloquently than others lol).

Restating a few things I've said on social about the matter, the key is trying to find a ridiculously difficult balance in rewarding folks that do invest time in the EU, but not alienating folks that don't. The games should have accessible - but rich - storylines that a wide range can experience, but not require "additional reading" to understand. The extended universe should enrich the experience of players who want to dive deeper, but not be "required" to understand the narrative/cinematic experience of the game you are playing.

This does not mean that characters/entities/events/artifacts/factions/etc from the EU will/can never find their way into the game experiences, but the way those things cross over should be handled with care.

We also want to be mindful of having storyline elements not experiencing huge shifts in different mediums (aka, something big happens to the Didact "in a comic and not in the game."). A good example actually is Jul 'Mdama (RIP, #NeverForget). You didn't NEED to read the K5 series to get a good idea of his motivations in H4:SO, but if you did, then you had an enhanced perspective that rewarded that investment (but didn't punish someone who didn't). And while his ultimate fate was not...well-received, it did at least happen in a game.

Needless to say, this is all an incredibly complicated and delicate endeavor - grand storytelling almost always is - but you can be rest assured that folks at 343 are always wanting to find the best possible ways to epic stories in our beloved universe, in every medium we can. That's not going to change. All the studio can do is try to constantly improve, and we do adore the passion for the Halo universe that this community, and many others, display on a regular basis <3"

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yeah the "simple" comment about stories has been taken too literal, she was talking about the transmedia aspect so I just took it that we wont see it directly impact the video games as much as it has recently and the video game stories will be more self contained.

A simple story doesnt mean no depth. They just want the filthy casuals to understand the story. Halo 5 no one did lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

Brian Reed being out a Narrative Director is great news, but we are going to need a miracle worker to reign in the direction H5 set the franchise on.

It's going to be a herculean effort for whoever steps up to the plate.

I don't see how increasing it makes sense in any context. Tracking movement directly is bad period. Players sprint a lot - whether it be to get into position or go for a flank. Increasing it to 25m only makes it harder to move freely.. unless 343 really expects players to walk everywhere on sprint-sized maps.

It's an improvement over tracking base speed I guess.. but the range increase was completely unnecessary.

I'm interested to see how it plays out, but i don't think people will sprint less.

People won't look at situations where they previously would have sprint/thrust/slide/ jumped and go "i need to stay of radar now, I'm going to walk". these are situations where the player has for 1.5 years determined that speed was more important than subtlety, and that dynamic won't change.

Where we will see change is in those situations where people previously decided to duck-walk/crouch walk/camp. Now they will be empowered to instead move at base speed without penalty.

The speed of the game will be a net increase even if radar ranged is increased IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Brian Reed being out a Narrative Director is great news, but we are going to need a missle worker to reign in the direction H5 set the franchise on.

It's going to be a herculean effort for whoever steps up to the plate.

I'm interested to see how it plays out, but i don't think people will sprint less.

People won't look at situations where they previously would have sprint/thrust/slide/ jumped and go "i need to stay of radar now, I'm going to walk". these are situations where the player has for 1.5 years determined that speed was more important than subtlety, and that dynamic won't change.

Where we will see change is in those situations where people previously decided to duck-walk/crouch walk/camp. Now they will be empowered to instead move at base speed without penalty.

The speed of the game will be a net increase even if radar ranged is increased IMO.

Yeaa. I've talked to people about the story problem a lot. They can continue the created story arc, but it has to be executed perfect. They need to downsize the cast of characters by atleast half. 

Yeaa. I've talked to people about the story problem a lot. They can continue the created story arc, but it has to be executed perfect. They need to downsize the cast of characters by atleast half.

But my bond with Tanaka and Vale is too strong to sever!

• Upvote (+1) 7

But my bond with Tanaka and Vale is too strong to sever!

For a bit I thought you were talking about R6: Siege characters and I was confused. I don't even play that game! 

Halo 5 was just THAT forgettable. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That would help them tell a focused story, but the main issue is their current trajectory is nonsensical. They can't even decide what the main threat is.

They wrote 3 books to build up the jul mdama and another 3 to build up the didactic. Then they show up in the games and unless you read the books, they are nobodies and totally forgettable.

If you did read the books, their literary awesomeness was thrown out immediately in the games and their potential completely wasted.

Then they randomly decided to make Cortana a bad guy. Now they, have already started backing off of that idea in the comics, so gamers are sure to be confused AGAIN.

They've gotta stop jumping all over the place.

• Upvote (+1) 8

That would help them tell a focused story, but the main issue is their current trajectory is nonsensical. They can't even decide what the main threat is.

They wrote 3 books to build up the jul mdama and another 3 to build up the didactic. Then they show up in the games and unless you read the books, they are nobodies and totally forgettable.

If you did read the books, their literary awesomeness was thrown out immediately in the games and their potential completely wasted.

Then they randomly decided to make Cortana a bad guy. Now they, have already started backing off of that idea in the comics, so gamers are sure to be confused AGAIN.

Doesn't help that Atriox was also made to look like a little bitch in HW2 either. Plans disrupted by a single 28 year old UNSC ship with half a crew and apparently he looks like an even bigger bitch in the Phoenix logs. 

Just bring the Didact back, have him say he was controlling the Cortana fragment in the Domain and get back on track.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Jul I can see being forgettable, the Didact, not so much.

Will never forgive them killing Jul, though. Same for throwing the Didact away for CORTANA. These are the types of story beats where you'd swear there was no proofreading department to allow someone to go "You realize how stupid this is, right". As Moa said, hope they just toss Cortana for a Didact-controlled thing. Would turn a trash-ass story into a consistent, underwhelming one. (For Halo 5's case, at least)

That was pretty much my point: players will still sprint regardless. They have to. 25m radar won't change that, so all it does is make tracking players easier. We don't want that for obvious reasons.

@@Neighbor, Can we have a permanent evolved matchmaking playlist?  Pretty please?  Do you have the power to make these kinds of things happen?  or at least put it in the request jar?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Doesn't help that Atriox was also made to look like a little bitch in HW2 either. Plans disrupted by a single 28 year old UNSC ship with half a crew and apparently he looks like an even bigger bitch in the Phoenix logs. 

Just bring the Didact back, have him say he was controlling the Cortana fragment in the Domain and get back on track.

At this point it would be a godsend to bring the Didact back and retcon everything. Even for people that dropped Halo years ago. Anything is better than what we have now.

At this point it would be a godsend to bring the Didact back and retcon everything. Even for people that dropped Halo years ago. Anything is better than what we have now.

They've got the perfect setup. Everything we've seen leads us to believe the Didact was 'composed' and is currently in the Domain. No retconning required.

"Halo needed to change"

But Why. Why did it need to be changed. Can anyone think why? All it is now is Dude Shooter 5: Power armour Rangers

I should stop going to r/halo and waypoint. Constant BS about how Halo NEEDED the change, or that anyone who dislikes Halo 5 is just a  343 hating Bungie purist. I don't think I've ever seen any of them giving actual reasons to why it needed the changes, that isn't "because no one wants to play old halo" because no one wants to play modern halo either. I am genuinely curious as to if any of them have ACTUAL, WELL THOUGHT OUT REASONS to why the changes were necessary. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm somewhat confused to see, that peopel actually want the didact to return...

He looks like some TES design on crack and acts like a cheap Darth Vader ripoff, sleeping in his bubble and force-choking his way through the universe...