CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

For the CE players, is there a reason why you'd advocate for the frag nades, known as the tactical nukes? Or did you find that to be overboard?

Personally, the consistent damage of completely dropping shields with a large blast radius was rather a deal breaker for me, especially with 4 frag nade pick ups.

The CE nade strength combined with the tighter confines of CE maps, and the movement pace makes the results of nades far less ambiguous. They're much more reliable, than H5 nades, and honestly I almost think of them as a splinter nade that requires more skill, because you can place them in spots to guarantee a person forced off from an exit, or a one shot that you flank on. H5's movement speed and sprawling areas makes grenade usage far less of a focus.

I much prefer halo nades to be tools used to takeout shields with skillful banks and bounces than blunt objects to be tossed directly at someone for a kill.

Few deaths in an fps are more frustrating than that of a straight on nade death that felt unavoidable. Especially if it's a desperation toss from someone whose down shots in a battle.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I much prefer halo nades to be tools used to takeout shields with skillful banks and bounces than blunt objects to be tossed directly at someone for a kill.

The main purpose of grenades in FPS is to take out campers, and this held true in Halo when the maps were designed room-by-room. 

Modern Halo, on the other hand, is played on wide-open spaces...so I guess make of that what you will. 

The main purpose of grenades in FPS is to take out campers, and this held true in Halo when the maps were designed room-by-room.

Modern Halo, on the other hand, is played on wide-open spaces...so I guess make of that what you will.

You could do that with any iteration of nades in halo. Besides halo has several other anti camper mechanics.

You could do that with any iteration of nades in halo. Besides halo has several other anti camper mechanics.

Sure you can, but the smaller the damage radius and the lower the damage the harder it gets to flush out campers and it can become kind of impossible in certain situations. Unless you coordinate grenade throws with a teammate good luck killing someone camping sword room on the Pit for example.

In CE the nades would take off shields + some health off any player in almost entire rooms. Now I'm aware these nades are kind of overkill for anything above 2v2 and KOTH is just a stupid spam fest most of the time, so there has to be some middle ground between CE's and onward games' nades.

For what it's worth, I also vastly prefer nades that do more damage, but without a damage marker that confirm whether low probability nades actually did any damage.

In fact, can we just not, with damage markers? In general?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally really like how much more distinguished the Frags have been from Plasma Grenades since H2.

A fast detonation grenade that can be bounced off things to explode in the face of your target via air-burst, versus a slow to detonate grenade that must settle on the ground before exploding, but has more power with the ability to stick to targets for a 1-hit kill.

I love that distinction between the two and as much as I like CE and understand the reasoning, that distinction isn't there as much in CE. I really feel like the two grenade types in CE are kinda redundant to be honest, something which usually isn't an issue in that game.

I do honestly give H5 some points for trying to further distinguish between the two by bringing back weapon nading only for Plasma Grenades, unfortunately that feature is very underutilized in H5 since the Plasma Grenades are a map pickup and people are used to moving to the weapon spawn location to grab it.

I really wonder how or if this problem could be mutually solved.

Sure you can, but the smaller the damage radius and the lower the damage the harder it gets to flush out campers and it can become kind of impossible in certain situations. Unless you coordinate grenade throws with a teammate good luck killing someone camping sword room on the Pit for example.

In CE the nades would take off shields + some health off any player in almost entire rooms. Now I'm aware these nades are kind of overkill for anything above 2v2 and KOTH is just a stupid spam fest most of the time, so there has to be some middle ground between CE's and onward games' nades.

But who cares if someone camps swordroom? They are just leaving thier teammates down a man when it comes to OS, camo, rockets, etc. Which will then be turned on him.

This kind of situation would become even more effective in games with faster power up/PW spawns.

I personally really like how much more distinguished the Frags have been from Plasma Grenades since H2.

A fast detonation grenade that can be bounced off things to explode in the face of your target via air-burst, versus a slow to detonate grenade that must settle on the ground before exploding, but has more power with the ability to stick to targets for a 1-hit kill.

I love that distinction between the two and as much as I like CE and understand the reasoning, that distinction isn't there as much in CE. I really feel like the two grenade types in CE are kinda redundant to be honest, something which usually isn't an issue in that game.

I do honestly give H5 some points for trying to further distinguish between the two by bringing back weapon nading only for Plasma Grenades, unfortunately that feature is very underutilized in H5 since the Plasma Grenades are a map pickup and people are used to moving to the weapon spawn location to grab it.

I really wonder how or if this problem could be mutually solved.

I am very surprised by how underdeveloped the nade launching meta is in H5.

I really thought we'd be seeing really developed opening salvos.

I don't even think epitaph was in any list after like the first couple months after launch.

Team doubles had it, and MultiTeam had it i don't recall if other had it I mainly stuck to MLG.

Default H3 was unplayable and to that you add shitty maps like:

- Snowbound

- Isolation

- High Ground

- Epitaph or Epilogue

- Last Resort

- Foundry

- Standoff

Team doubles had it, and MultiTeam had it i don't recall if other had it I mainly stuck to MLG.

Default H3 was unplayable and to that you add shitty maps like:

- Snowbound

- Isolation

- High Ground

- Epitaph or Epilogue

- Last Resort

- Foundry

- Standoff

Whoa

Standoff is great

I agree. Grenades to me need to be effective for clearing entrenched players, or at least force players to move. Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely love airbursting grenades in players faces. But I would prefer they had more utility beyond that.

The H5 sniper is objectively the HARDEST one to use.  Period.  End of discussion.  No rebuttals necessary.

I wouldn't flat out ban it simply because that is a tool that can be used to get the "feel" and "ease of use" ratio right.  I don't think excessive recoil belongs in halo a la destiny or CoD, but if it fulfills the purpose well and isn't random i think its fine.

This was sarcasm right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Posted in the HCS topic but obviously needs to be put here too with more info:

The Sniper is being nerfed next week, as well as a Plasma Caster nerf, fix for the Grenade Launcher and radar options being added for testing.

q3WQyni.png

Specifically for radar:

A9AXCGy.png

This is being tested starting March 9th in a single playlist. It is purely a test for now and all feedback is being taken into account.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/patch-party

This playlist is gonna be lit
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't even think epitaph was in any list after like the first couple months after launch.

It was, Epilogue at least...in Doubles and I believe regular Slayer (plus socials)

Posted in the HCS topic but obviously needs to be put here too with more info:

The Sniper is being nerfed next week, as well as a Plasma Caster nerf, fix for the Grenade Launcher and radar options being added for testing.

q3WQyni.png

Specifically for radar:

A9AXCGy.png

This is being tested starting March 9th in a single playlist. It is purely a test for now and all feedback is being taken into account.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/patch-party

LOL

Out of all the things they could fix with this game they choose to nerf no-scoping with the sniper rifle? So this benefits someone with an AR or another auto trying to kill a sniper at mid-close range more than anything else basically. 

Am I taking crazy pills?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

LOL

Out of all the things they could fix with this game they choose to nerf no-scoping with the sniper rifle? So this benefits someone with an AR or another auto trying to kill a sniper at mid-close range more than anything else basically. 

FYI: 

Eh, I wouldn't say that H5's sniper exceeds ALL compared to previous iterations, there are pros and cons to each. No descope H4 sniper was pretty OP IMO and the H2 sniper rifle ROF pretty much guaranteed a two shot to the body kill. With that being said there are definitely some things with our sniper rifle that I would love to change to make the weapon more skillful to use. 

And yes, I am on the sandbox team and yes, I would love to tackle the automatics as well.

He's interested in making more changes - hopefully the sandbox team as a whole would love to, too.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I'm asking what Occam's razor is.

A sort of philosophical idea or principle that states basically,"The simplest option to solving a problem is usually the best one"

• Upvote (+1) 2

That says sniper hipfire aim assist

How about they nerf it in the way it's used 99% of the time

Yep, because somehow pressing the smart scope button justifies a fat increase in aim assist for the sake of having smart scope benefits.

FYI: 

He's interested in making more changes - hopefully the sandbox team as a whole would love to, too.

I've got nothing against Neighbor and I don't think it's necessarily his fault or anything but come on, it will almost be a full 1.5 years since this game launched and aside from switching up the weapons on maps and removing double storms I think, they have virtually done nothing to address the autos problem. We still spawn with ARs (which are overpowered and have too much range/finishing ability), there are smgs and/or storms on every map, and there is still radar to enhance crouching / radar watching with these autos. 

Yes I think it is easy to no scope in this game, but I don't think it was an issue that needed to be addressed. 

I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic or talk shit to/on Neighbor here either, but does he even play Halo 5 anymore? I remember matching him first season of ranked, but how often does Neighbor or Ghost really play? I'm sure Neighbor has good intentions, and I'm sure other "factors" may be holding his decision making back, regarding autos and such, but it was a genuine question...does Neighbor really even play Halo 5, does he actually enjoy this game or think it is good, and how much is he playing it. 

Edit: Neighbor is a champ 96 in Arena this season so I can say I am partially wrong here. He has 2400 ish games played on his account....in comparison to myself, someone who literally quit from last Feb. to this Feb., a year essentially, I have 3035 Arena games...he only has 56 warzone games though compared to ~1100. I'm sure he has alts too or whatever.