CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Thats not the point i was making at all. It seems like most of your suggestions for game changes are aiming to raise the required skill level for competence so incredibly high that the game would be unapproachable by most people. Or change the way they work so much that they don't even come close to "traditional

LMAO.

Everything I've suggested so far has literally been combining the mechanics of CE and 2 and that's it. Please, tell me more about how unapproachable I want Halo to be.

To the average player in CE, all they think is "I'm gonna punch him twice" and that's it. Making melee have more depth doesn't change the skill floor at all. But you've done a wonderful job at showing me you have no idea what you're talking about and have no business designing any type of game.

If we really wanna talk about non traditional mechanics in we can, I just refrained earlier

Edit: This came off way meaner that I intended but you get the point.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There should 100% be a good spectrum of weapons with unique actions that fall within a decent Ease-of-use/damage ratio. The easier something is to use, the less damage it should be capable of and vice-versa. If this is followed properly you'll see different players of different skill ranges favor different weapons. You wouldn't even have to worry about there being too many auto's on the map for example, if the spawn magnum outclassed them anyway. In competitive play they just wouldn't be used. At lower levels they would be used all the time.

Thats the biggest indication to me that the weapon balance in this game is jacked. Their isn't a hell of a lot of difference in the weapons that average players use compared to the weapons that high level players use. Easy weapons are too powerful and powerful weapons are too easy.

I've never disagreed with this and I've never said I disagreed with this

• Upvote (+1) 2

LMAO.

Everything I've suggested so far has literally been combining the mechanics of CE and 2 and that's it. Please, tell me more about how unapproachable I want Halo to be.

To the average player in CE, all they think is "I'm gonna punch him twice" and that's it. Making melee have more depth doesn't change the skill floor at all. But you've done a wonderful job at showing me you have no idea what you're talking about and have no business designing any type of game.

If we really wanna talk about non traditional mechanics in we can, I just refrained earlier

LMAO myself thanks

I have absolutely no problem with adding depth to the melee mechanics.  None whatsoever.  It would be welcome because right now its just a mess.  A player doesn't even need to visibly be on your screen in some cases to land a melee which is just atrocious.  I LIKE your general idea about adding depth to the system, + repped and everything.

I think removing lunge entirely from the sword is asinine though. Removing it entirely from standard melees i could get behind as long as the delay is removed from initiating a melee when jumping (removing GP should do the trick;).  In pretty much every discussion i have had with you about level design, general mechanics, gametypes and weapons balance etc i like your general ideas, but then you way over-correct to a point i can't support anymore because it goes too far imo.  That's all i was referencing which was admittedly foolish in this example since the only current suggestion that i think is stupid is removing all lunge from the sword.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I've never disagreed with this and I've never said I disagreed with this

Oh Yeah i know you agree with that.  that wasnt really an argument against anybody, just adding thoughts to how balance should "look"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thats not the point i was making at all. It seems like most of your suggestions for game changes are aiming to raise the required skill level for competence so incredibly high that the game would be unapproachable by most people. Or change the way they work so much that they don't even come close to "traditional halo" action anymore. Not everything needs to take The Thumbs of God to wield properly is all. Removing lunge from the sword and melees is not necessary. They are absolutely over the top right now. I can't argue that. but you're over-correcting.

How is the removal of melee lunge an over-correction? Do you honestly think that good players aren't capable of timing and aiming their melee in the same way they are aiming?

GOOD.

Melee is always going to be easier than shooting so why overreward melee combat in the same way H5 does? Make them work for the 1 hit kill.

Also it would completely depend on how difficult the guns are to use.

As long as the sword has more to it than "Press RT for stupid long lunge instakill" I'd be happy. Dodging a melee should be easy in a shooter, not impossible.

Figured I might jump in to this. I've seen a lot of suggestions concerning the sword. 

Obviously I agree that in Halo 5 to have all these movement mechanics and closing capabilities AND a sword with significant lunge is ridiculous. 

Maybe I just have a different perspective but I never saw the sword as a competitive weapon. I know this is a highly competitive forum and it's incredibly important, but its also not the only part of Halo. 

The sword is pivotal in griffball, infection, and various other modes. Balancing it for comp play may damage the experience in other areas. 

I actually like the predetermined lunge idea but that would add more mobility and thus raise more questions. Can you only lunge horizontal? Can you use it vertically? Could this not potentially damage map movement? 

Personally I think its a great avenue to try. Perhaps a regular pull of rt will be a regular swing but you can charge it up to essentially turn yourself in to a projectile. I think that might make the sword not only more fun to use, but also a little bit more skill intensive while still being compelling in the less competitive Halo avenues.

Thoughts? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

LMAO myself thanks

I have absolutely no problem with adding depth to the melee mechanics. None whatsoever. It would be welcome because right now its just a mess. A player doesn't even need to visibly be on your screen in some cases to land a melee which is just atrocious. I LIKE your general idea about adding depth to the system, + repped and everything.

I think removing lunge entirely from the sword is asinine though. Removing it entirely from standard melees i could get behind as long as the delay is removed from initiating a melee when jumping (removing GP should do the trick;). In pretty much every discussion i have had with you about level design, general mechanics, gametypes and weapons balance etc i like your general ideas, but then you way over-correct to a point i can't support anymore because it goes too far imo. That's all i was referencing which was admittedly foolish in this example since the only current suggestion that i think is stupid is removing all lunge from the sword.

I think as long as you can move faster forward in Halo (Sprint thrust charge slide) than you can backwards lunge doesn't make sense. It was okay in H2/3 when someone would back pedal as soon as they saw a sword and you had no chance of getting them but now that we're a fucking train in Halo 5 closing the gap is easy. That's just how I look at it though.

To me a melee weapon that you can't dodge is broken.

The lunge is pretty much the only thing that separates the sword from the shotgun, so I think it should stay. Arg's idea for a static lunge is perfect. I thought about it more and if you get a kill with the lunge then there shouldn't be a cooldown, that way you don't neuter the multikill potential.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No it was in the original H2 as well. There was quickmatch, optimatch, and custom match.

Ahh, okay. It's been too long since I played it and looking it up made me miss those old H2 lobbies.

Personally, I think it would be more interesting to give melee weapons a static lunge (ideally in a game without people sprinting and thrust-sliding all over the place). So, instead of the game auto-correcting a melee lunge within a few miles of them, you just move in a straight line for a specific distance and if you miss... Well, you actually fucking miss.

Now that's what I'm talking about. The weapon is harder to use, but not nerfed into the ground and still deadly in the right hands. 10/10

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol, desperate for those skins, are you?

343's best skins are the ones you can't obtain in-game.

Sticker Shock, these new 343 ones etc

TL;DW?

LateNightGaming got to visit 343 Industries for a Halo Wars 2 event, spoke with several members (including Bonnie Ross herself) and was genuinely surprised at all the things 343 was willing to acknowledge as mess ups on their part.

The video was enlightening to say the least.

Having fucking Genji PTSD right now please stop guys.

Are you suggesting that the sword should be able to deflect bullets as well? Great idea, bro!

• Upvote (+1) 7