CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Melee combat has the potential to be the deepest coolest part of Halo combat, ESPECIALLY in Halo 5 with thrust and slide.

Instead they make it more brainless

C'mon, man.

I can thrust into my enemy (Hot) and punch them.

I can slide into my enemy (Also hot) and punch them.

I can SPARTAN CHARGE MY ENEMY (Not hot) AND AR THEM DOWN.

The multiple ways I can go about performing what could be a simple melee just proves it requires more brains.

/s

• Upvote (+1) 4

Melee combat has the potential to be the deepest coolest part of Halo combat, ESPECIALLY in Halo 5 with thrust and slide.

What ideas do you suggest for halo 5 with melee combat?

I like that you bring this up. If you had to actually aim down to melee someone who was sliding and you could counter someone's lunge with a thrust. Melee fights would be interesting as hell.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ever since Halo 1, we have lost 

Health

Fall Damage

Fast kill times

Powerful grenades

Responsive strafe

And we have gained 

Defensive abilities 

All that means is people are no longer punished for playing like idiots or camping. Small team Halo blows chunks.

All this quake talk makes me want to play it some. You got quake live homie?

C'mon, man.

The multiple ways I can go about performing what could be a simple melee just proves it requires more brains.

/s

I don't know what you're smoking but there's NOTHING hotter than spartan charging someone right in the back and unloading my AR all over them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's where we place the effects on the armor. For example, the reason why you cannot see the secondary weapon on the back of the biped is because the marker was not placed at the proper location. This created the bug. Real simple fix, an accidental mess up on our end. 

Looks like the armors undergo the same kind of extensive "testing"  as the maps before being put into matchmaking...

• Upvote (+1) 3

"Real Simple Fix"

Why hasn't it been fixed yet, surely a bug giving people who randomly unlocked a piece of armour should to top priority. its been known about for a while, a remember seeing something about it a month ago or so ago.

Remind me in a month and we'll see if its fixed by then.

"Real Simple Fix"

Why hasn't it been fixed yet, surely a bug giving people who randomly unlocked a piece of armour should to top priority. its been known about for a while, a remember seeing something about it a month ago or so ago.

Remind me in a month and we'll see if its fixed by then.

I think it's fairly clear at this point that 343 is and/or is part of a dense and convoluted bureaucracy, the ineptitude of which can only be matched by the likes of the US government or Walmart. The people who know what they're doing and the people making the decisions are two mutually exclusive groups.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The obvious thing would be to remove melee lunge like CE, being able to slide under melees and thrust out and bait would've been awesome.

Momentum melees and weapon weight like H2 was also a great move, gave weapon chasis utility after they ran out of ammo, like rocket and sentinel beam being 1 hit jumping beat down. It's also a great way to nerf double melees by making them 3 hit, and balancing weapons that are otherwise great by making them 3 hit.

I also think weapons should have specific hitboxes and set melee animations that could be predicted. CE did alright with this in how the AR hits great horizontally but you can duck under it easily, but other weapons like the pistol should have a super narrow vertical hitbox that could be side stepped easily. Sniper maybe could be given a very long jab that's the hardest melee to connect but has good range, so on and so forth. In a perfect world you'd be able to see what weapon someone has out and dodge several melees in a row by strafing/ducking/sliding out of the way.

That requires no melee lunge, momentum melee, controlled weapon hitboxes, and other things like varying swing speeds could be cool.

Also BLB was dope.

Also sword lunge should be reduced in favor of a purely lateral swing, and a longer range jab or something. Could make sword play cool

But that like, wont make sense to the players maaaan. If we dont hold their hand and make everything the same how will they know what to do?? Might as well get rid of melees altogether !!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's fairly clear at this point that 343 is and/or is part of a dense and convoluted bureaucracy, the ineptitude of which can only be matched by the likes of the US government or Walmart. The people who know what they're doing and the people making the decisions are two mutually exclusive groups.

This is generally the reason that despite my never ending frustrations with Halo 5, MCC, etc., I hesitate to jump on the 343 hate bandwagon.  Not only does it end up directing vitriol at extremely hard working and well meaning developers, artists and other creative, non-management 343 employees, but it also gives a veil for those truly responsible for the misdirection of the series to hide behind.  Don't hate "343", that's just as stupid as hating the United States of America, or Christians.  It's the upper level decision makers, or even higher level Microsoft executives directing the whole operation that most likely deserve the blame.

If any of you are familiar with Valve's flat management style, where no one is really anyone's superior, and ideas can come to fruition from just about anyone, I have to imagine 343, and any Microsoft subsidiary, is just about the exact opposite of that.  Not that the Valve way is perfect, or without its own set of issues, but a lot of what we knew and loved about the earlier Halo iterations was most likely a product of a small company, where everybody had some level of input about relatively large decisions in terms of game design.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Making a video game is very much a collaborative process, I think having a few overseers who bring a very strict framework and direction for developers to work in i.e this is the games direction and MUST feature X,Y,Z with little to no wiggle room and regardless of negative impacts on the overall game, such direction and management only stifles the creativity that only true collaboration can bring. Unless your someone like Miyamoto back in the day or Kojima who could be heralded as geniuses but I imagine what sets them apart is there ability to recognise that process and have trust in their development teams and the ideas that they bring.

I don't know the inner workings of 343 but I get the feeling its the exact opposite of this.

C'mon, man.

/s

That's like more than two different choices.  I can't handles these mind games. 

The obvious thing would be to remove melee lunge like CE, being able to slide under melees and thrust out and bait would've been awesome.

Momentum melees and weapon weight like H2 was also a great move, gave weapon chasis utility after they ran out of ammo, like rocket and sentinel beam being 1 hit jumping beat down. It's also a great way to nerf double melees by making them 3 hit, and balancing weapons that are otherwise great by making them 3 hit.

I also think weapons should have specific hitboxes and set melee animations that could be predicted. CE did alright with this in how the AR hits great horizontally but you can duck under it easily, but other weapons like the pistol should have a super narrow vertical hitbox that could be side stepped easily. Sniper maybe could be given a very long jab that's the hardest melee to connect but has good range, so on and so forth. In a perfect world you'd be able to see what weapon someone has out and dodge several melees in a row by strafing/ducking/sliding out of the way.

That requires no melee lunge, momentum melee, controlled weapon hitboxes, and other things like varying swing speeds could be cool.

Also BLB was dope.

Also sword lunge should be reduced in favor of a purely lateral swing, and a longer range jab or something. Could make sword play cool

Are y'all reading posts like this @@Neighbor?  

Make Halo Great Again  :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like that you bring this up. If you had to actually aim down to melee someone who was sliding and you could counter someone's lunge with a thrust. Melee fights would be interesting as hell.

Or at the very least, crouch underneath them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 talking about sci-fi at DICE awards LOL

You guys haven't even made a good Halo game yet.

Edit: You know what though, I'll hand it to the EU team; the books have been really good and are usually my main source of enjoyment from the franchise, storywise. Lots of good sci-fi stories there (Broken Circle is hands down my favourite read ever) so credit where credit is due.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Splitscreen confirmed for H6, I admit I did roll my eyes and shout "REALLY?" when she said she was immensely proud of her team and what they've achieved the last 9 years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Splitscreen confirmed for H6, I admit I did role my eyes and shout "REALLY?" when she said she was immensely proud of her team and what they've achieved the last 9 years.

Wait, who? What?

I agree that melee battles in Halo 5 are very bland and I do think having a more in depth melee system would greatly increase the fun factor within these engagements. I've always been a fan of being able to double melee/BXR. I think the idea of removing the lunge effectiveness for certain weapons is interesting, I'll talk with some people

What about spartan charge and its absurd magnetism? 

• Upvote (+1) 9