CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

343 hasn't made anything that can hold up a candle to Bungie's trailers. The H2 launch trailer, the H3 launch trailer, Finish the Fight trailers, Starry Night, Deliver Hope. The only worthwhile 343 trailer was the H4 reveal trailer and even that was meh.

Meh? Lol? That was so far from meh (Gonna have to stress IMO. Sucks I need to do this, now). Bar the armor redesign and how out of place it seems (At least now, back then speculation had the edge), the beginning of that entire trailer was genius with the focus on the slowly awakening neurons in John's body (Heh, funny, given the trailer's name of "Awakening"), leading into the line "wake up, John", which well, then led to nerdgasms. Truly one of the most unique beginnings to a trailer I've seen in a long time.  

My only true issue with it to a point, is the music for the very beginning after John busts out from the tube. The steady beat. I kinda wish that rather than escalating at the very end only, there was a beat that was just constantly rising up or at least changing up to the point where John exists FuD. Granted, the OST for Halo 4 actually had a variant of the theme that did that, just sucks it wasn't used in the trailer.

The "Scanned" trailer was another favorite (THAT ENDING DIDACT SHOT). Not much to elaborate on. Had a super lore based (Super fan-servicy) beginning, then a really cool actiony end sequence in a similar fashion to Starry Night (Well, bar Starry's briefer nature). And finally, the initial E3 2013 reveal for Halo 5: Guardians was suuuuuuuper good with the Guardian rising from the sand. Honestly that one felt the most similar to Halo 3's initial trailer, and is one of my favorites, especially since the way it reveals John isn't by showing him in his entirety initially, but by showing him holding Cortana's chip as that solemn theme plays. Loved how, like his initial reveal in the game, his reveal was through an artifact showing his loss of Cortana, the chip in the trailer, helmet in the game. It was a good way to show he had emotion and was broken, without him blubbering like a brokeback bitch which spoke volumes given his characterization in the past. Those little shots and how they're presented mean a lot. The swelling in music as the Chief's shown too. Just. Unf. 

I'll be honest and say I didn't really like Deliver Hope and don't get its hype. I can give the creators props for going with actual props and suits for the actors who portrayed the Spartans, but the movements of Kat throughout it (Especially with some cringe inducing stances while jumping) just felt so off and un-Spartan-ish and the armor's sooooo unfitting for the person wearing it, so it's literally bouncing around in the slow-mo segments. It truly felt like some guy in a cosplayed suit running around, over a Spartan running. The theme for it was also... Meh. I wasn't a personal fan. Like, the Starry Night running sequence leading into the jump. That's what I expect from a Spartan. Full torque sprint. 

Think my issue with it was how you could see Kat was moving at an average human running pace. She was fucking slow in the trailer, despite being a Spartan. Halo Wars 2's reveal trailer had a great way of showing the speed of Spartans. Showed them gunning it full torque past an ODST who stumbles from his drop pod and keeping pace with Cyclops mechs also going full speed beside them, keeping an insanely fast pace, all without looking unnatural. It's a great shot overall, and that entire sense of speed is gone from Deliver Hope up until Thom uses his jetpack, DESPITE the theme of the trailer being a race against time with the bomb. IMO, it failed there. Greatly.

I don't think there's a single truly bad Halo trailer, to be honest. Just dislike how some are amazing, and then the game turns out to be trashcans for some reason, (Reach, Halo 5). Like, All Hail and The Cost were GREAT trailers for Halo 5, much like how the E3 2009 reveal for Halo: Reach was really amazing. Then we got the games... 

• Upvote (+1) 3

They got rid of team slayer. WTF?

Well they removed triple team the GOAT playlist now if you want to play social you need to play Team Sweatmish
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Like, even then, it took the creator of Evolved (one man) a week or so to make the most competitively viable options we've seen for the game which were then tuned over time given player feedback. It shouldn't be hard to get a mentally knowledgeable competitive gamer to create proper settings for you. Hell, if MLG was allowed to host tournies for the game, I guarantee they would've done it, given what occurred with Halo 3 and Reach.

I wouldn't claim that Evolved is the most 'competitively viable' options we've had for H5. It's nowhere even close. For people wanting the game to play a particular way? Sure you could say that. But Evolved changes the meta into something it isn't, and on top of that, adds nothing in return. Ironically enough, there is no evolving meta to Evolved settings... since anything that could differentiate players in terms of H5 skill has, rather than been replaced or altered, been just removed altogether. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

I wouldn't claim that Evolved is the most 'competitively viable' options we've had for H5. It's nowhere even close. For people wanting the game to play a particular way? Sure you could say that. But Evolved changes the meta into something it isn't, and on top of that, adds nothing in return. Ironically enough, there is no evolving meta to Evolved settings... since anything that could differentiate players in terms of H5 skill has, rather than been replaced or altered, been just removed altogether. 

Compared to what? HCS settings? Just the removal of radar and the combat escaping spartan abilities raises the skill ceiling tremendously.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yup that is why H5 is more competitive than a game like CE. Without thrust and sprint Halo is just a dull game. How else can you tell how good someone is? Oh and radar and autos. We NEED those. Without that it's just a one gun game and everyone knows that takes no skill. Oh and clamber. Can't have people missing jumps that's a no-no.

Dude, you're not even thinking about the evolving META! One week crouching with the AR can be the META and the next week it could be crouching with the Storm Rifle. You never know, and that's why it's so exciting. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'd love to see your example of the most 'competitive' settings currently in halo 5. I swear if I hear default halo 5.....

Well they removed triple team the GOAT playlist now if you want to play social you need to play Team Sweatmish

If it was goat, it would have had more people playing it.  They removed the 2 they did because they had the lowest population. Sucks that it happened to be your favorite, but there were way too many playlists and now they will be able to put at least a little more resources into maintaining the more populated lists.

I think its a good move.

Complaining about the removal of playlists based on how fun they are is extremely arbitrary.

However, removing playlists based on population alone is a very silly thing for 343 to do in my opinion.

Have they tried offering incentives for various playlists? Not like it would make a huge difference.. but say the rotational playlist was snipers, what if you got double XP for that rotation as well as a req pack for completing a certain amount of games (like placements)

@@Cursed Lemon

what happened to that FFA idea you had? It was like a tour de walsh playlist right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now I get chills when I see Power Rangers Spartans flying down a mountain doing super epic moves! /s

"If God can hear how scared I am (?) then so can everyone... else??

???????????????????????????????

The script in this game in nonsensical.

@@Cursed Lemon

what happened to that FFA idea you had? It was like a tour de walsh playlist right?

Literally just a BR/DMR start matchmaking FFA playlist with infinite lives/time and no quit penalty. 

But I don't know if H5's population can take it right now. 

Literally just a BR/DMR start matchmaking FFA playlist with infinite lives/time and no quit penalty. 

But I don't know if H5's population can take it right now. 

I was in the "FFA Nub" clan for a bit on Halo 2. I think it was strongside's, but I would literally hop into random games/tour de walshes to warm up all the time. I'm pretty sure I would do that every day I logged on and couldn't think of a better and easier way to warm up.

Now I play warzone against thumb less timmy and his 11 friends. It's just not the same.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No thrust bump, bum jump, sprint-thrust-slide-jump combo, no skill.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just the removal of radar and the combat escaping spartan abilities raises the skill ceiling tremendously.

Yes to bold. No to the rest. That's a statement based on what evidence?

You remove SA's, you exacerbate the issues with the sandbox even further. Easy sniper, forgiving weapons, autos, all of that becomes more problematic without creative usage of SAs. As it stands, the SA's keep certain things in check.

Yup that is why H5 is more competitive than a game like CE.

No one one on this forum would equivocally state that, so where are you pulling that comment out of? Sarcasm aside, there's really no reason to try defending the niche settings you guys worked on. If you enjoy them, then spread them and play with others to see if they enjoy them too. Doesn't cause me any problems at all. I'm just going to step in whenever people here start claiming it's the most 'competitively viable' or has the 'highest skill ceiling' since the only ones doing that are the same small group of people playing the settings in the first place. Evolved hasn't been put through true competitive rigor nor has it garnered mass appeal, hence claiming it's superiority is a false statement.

I'd love to see your example of the most 'competitive' settings currently in halo 5. I swear if I hear default halo 5.....

Currently in Halo 5? Nonexistent to be fair... 

Several things that would help H5 immensely off of the top of my head in no particular order that could be instantly implemented in settings:

1) No Radar

2) Slightly faster base movement, slower sprint, sprint repurposed as a audible to use different SA's.

3) Reduce ammunition in Spawn AR by alot (One Mag at most). General reduction in frequency of autos or rifles on map and ammo reserves.

4) Extended Magnum Starts and magnum ammo placed around the map.

5) Spawn Power weapons more frequently but with significantly reduced ammo for Slayer.

6) More Powerups more often and implementation of instant-pickup Damage Boost and Speed Boost on certain maps.

7) Increase Thruster CD by 0.5 secs if you really want to try to mitigate the defensive aspects of this ability.

8) Reduce Spartan Charge Knockback and Damage Value to normal melee (extended melee out of sprint, still retains movement functionality).

All of these would bolster the meta and skillset of the game and increase the skill ceiling equivalently.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This would be a valid argument IF the evolved settings weren't a matter of "addition via subtraction". 

• Upvote (+1) 4

As much as I love to be a little snarky with my comments about 5's movement abilities and what have you, the bullet point list would make 5 play better without having to get a weapon re-balance. But at this point we're more likely to get CE Final as the main competitive Halo title as we are a true sandbox overhaul.

The only time I come into this horrible thread is when @@Devaneaux is the latest reply because I know shit is about to get good. 

343 rep

no avatar

mentioned Dev favorably

alright we know you're a paid shill, the jig is up oak

• Upvote (+1) 6