CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Regret would be a decent map if the sightlines made sense, but everything feels off. 

You do ??. I feel like every battle is in decent pistol range. The other maps I feel hopeless spawning with a pistol.

The ranges are great, you're right about that. It's more of what you're actually able to see from any given position. The LOS are either insignificant or really really direct and predictable.

Here's a thought; Fathom, how many of you have to remind yourselves that the map is under water while you're playing? It's just soo... bland and doesn't even try apply the aesthetic in a meaningful way. Honestly, if the windows on the sides of the map were replaced with solid walls, I wouldn't even notice the difference.

I mean, look at the difference between it and this map from Gears of War 3. I get Bioshock vibes just looking at it.

https://youtu.be/IslPW9PdxJM

What is your point??
  • Downvote (-1) 3

What is your point??

I thought it was kind of clear? Fathom is an underwater map that's bland and as not-underwater looking as possible. You have to be actively looking for the underwater aesthetic elements on Fathom. The Gears 3 map in comparison permeates the theme throughout its setting.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Here's a thought; Fathom, how many of you have to remind yourselves that the map is under water while you're playing? It's just soo... bland and doesn't even try apply the aesthetic in a meaningful way. Honestly, if the windows on the sides of the map were replaced with solid walls, I wouldn't even notice the difference.

I mean, look at the difference between it and this map from Gears of War 3. I get Bioshock vibes just looking at it.

https://youtu.be/IslPW9PdxJM

Accidentally neg. I completely agree with you
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Accidentally neg. I completely agree with you

Oh thank God. When I saw the neg from you of all people, I began to question my map design judgement.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I thought it was kind of clear? Fathom is an underwater map that's bland and as not-underwater looking as possible. You have to be actively looking for the underwater aesthetic elements on Fathom. The Gears 3 map in comparison permeates the theme throughout its setting.

Who cares ??.
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Social Skirmish is supposed to be fun, and most times every one is bad together. Most people playing SS don't care that they won't be able to win all the time; it's social. Removing variety in a casual play space is just going to frustrate people. 

almost every social skirmish match I've played has been sweaty team arena with shittier maps.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Who cares ??.

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me try again.

*ahem*

"Hur dur, 343 is ta graitest gais! Thei mayd an map in tha ocean, iznt that coohl? I lyk, saw som wahtr and a fish once."

+500 likes

In all seriousness, if devs were given a grade on their underwater map themes, 343's would be a D- at best.

What next? A desert themed map in the middle of a tropical jungle that just so happens to have a patch of sand with a cacti somewhere on it?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oh, I'm sorry. Let me try again.

*ahem*

"Hur dur, 343 is ta graitest gais! Thei mayd an map in tha ocean, iznt that coohl? I lyk, saw som wahtr and a fish once."

+500 likes

In all seriousness, if devs were given a grade on their underwater map themes, 343's would be a D- at best.

What next? A desert themed map in the middle of a tropical jungle that just so happens to have a patch of sand with a cacti somewhere on it?

When I'm in an intense flag game in Fathom the least of my concerns is if the map is "underwater enough".
  • Upvote (+1) 1

When I'm in an intense flag game in Fathom the least of my concerns is if the map is "underwater enough".

Believe me, I value gameplay ABOVE ALL ELSE. I very rarely discuss art direction, cause it's not my area of expertise. But if you sit here and tell me what the theme of your map is, then you need to properly convey that idea to the player in an obvious and clear way. "Underwater enough," it's hilariously not even that! You just feel like your playing in a human themed enclosed box.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/826562508949368832

I got it but I still don't know how.

the theory on reddit is 343 minutes/games in customs. I can debunk both :(

Have you messed around in forge? We need to get to the bottom of this cuz I'm an insane person who got up out of bed at 1am because I need to know why I don't have a meaningless aesthetic that I'm not going to equip.

the theory on reddit is 343 minutes/games in customs. I can debunk both :(

Have you messed around in forge? We need to get to the bottom of this cuz I'm an insane person who got up out of bed at 1am because I need to know why I don't have a meaningless aesthetic that I'm not going to equip.

Spent a fair bit of time in Forge, yeah.

At this point is pretty obvious that they don't want to be making Halo games and would much rather do their own thing.

I would support them in making new games that aren't Halo. Its been said before by many, Halo 5 is a good game, just not a good Halo game. They drop the Halo namesake, their games would become waaay more popular. it wouldn't be a case of "The old Halo games were better this game is shit"

it would be "Wow, This game is actually pretty good"

I feel the opposite, that Halo 5 is a terrible game and that they only reason anyone plays it is because it has the "Halo" name slapped onto it. People that are so infatuated and invested with the "Halo" franchise, they somehow feel obligated to play the newest "Halo" no matter how much it sucks or how much they personally hate it. Just look at the people in this forum who constantly talk about how much they hate Halo 5, yet still play it day after day. The other day someone said playing Halo 5 makes him want to literally kill himself(I concur, which is why I stopped playing after 2 weeks). Then you have that Deveneaux guy, who has admitted he's a masochist, which seems like a requirement if you're going to play this game for any great length of time. Honestly, if 343 didn't have the "Halo" name, they would have been out of business after their first game.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah. Whoever is making the top artistic decisions at 343 has no idea how to maintain a central theme. Halo 4 and Halo 5 all over the place in terms of art style. Make Halo Art Bungie Art Again!

• Upvote (+1) 4

I feel the opposite, that Halo 5 is a terrible game and that they only reason anyone plays it is because it has the "Halo" name slapped onto it. People that are so infatuated and invested with the "Halo" franchise, they somehow feel obligated to play the newest "Halo" no matter how much it sucks or how much they personally hate it. Just look at the people in this forum who constantly talk about how much they hate Halo 5, yet still play it day after day. The other day someone said playing Halo 5 makes him want to literally kill himself(I concur, which is why I stopped playing after 2 weeks). Then you have that Deveneaux guy, who has admitted he's a masochist, which seems like a requirement if you're going to play this game for any great length of time. Honestly, if 343 didn't have the "Halo" name, they would have been out of business after their first game.

Lol people don't play things out of obligation.

There are a lot of terrible aspects to this game, but if people are having zero enjoyment, they just go do something else.

Lol people don't play things out of obligation.

There are a lot of terrible aspects to this game, but if people are having zero enjoyment, they just go do something else.

Most do but for some those first few halo games were such positive experiences that moving on is really hard.

Hell I havent truly enjoyed a halo game in 8 years. And yet, I still buy and try to enjoy each new one. It's a compulsion because of the once incredibly positive experiences I associated with the brand.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most do but for some those first few halo games were such positive experiences that moving on is really hard.

Hell I havent truly enjoyed a halo game in 8 years. And yet, I still buy and try to enjoy each new one. It's a compulsion because of the once incredibly positive experiences I associated with the brand.

Its one thing to buy a game hoping its good, then be dissapointed.

Its another thing to spend over a year playing a game you get 0 enjoyment out of.

Most people just stop playing games they dont like, and start games they do.

Ive bought every halo game at launch since CE. Prior to H5, The last one i put any signficant time into was H3, and i had a lot of issues with that game.

Ive probably spent more time in H5 than i did H3 at this point, and im married with a kid and work 60+ hrs a week now.

There's a lot i hate about 343 and h5, but i play it because i legitimately find enjoyment.

Except those playing for money, few people will pay out of a sense of obligation.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I feel the opposite, that Halo 5 is a terrible game and that they only reason anyone plays it is because it has the "Halo" name slapped onto it. People that are so infatuated and invested with the "Halo" franchise, they somehow feel obligated to play the newest "Halo" no matter how much it sucks or how much they personally hate it. Just look at the people in this forum who constantly talk about how much they hate Halo 5, yet still play it day after day. The other day someone said playing Halo 5 makes him want to literally kill himself(I concur, which is why I stopped playing after 2 weeks). Then you have that Deveneaux guy, who has admitted he's a masochist, which seems like a requirement if you're going to play this game for any great length of time. Honestly, if 343 didn't have the "Halo" name, they would have been out of business after their first game.

I have bought every title in hopes that they'll be as good as the older ones. But I quit playing halo reach online about 2 months after it came out. I barely played halo 4 unless my roommate or old high school buddy asked me to play. MCC collection was probably the biggest disappoint I've ever had in terms of video games. I have over 20 days in h5. That's more than any game since h3 or cod4 and a lot more than hR, h4 and MCC combined. I don't play it cuz its "halo", I play it because its fun/rewarding.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Chase the dragon my friend. 

Its one thing to buy a game hoping its good, then be dissapointed.

Its another thing to spend over a year playing a game you get 0 enjoyment out of.

Most people just stop playing games they dont like, and start games they do.

Ive bought every halo game at launch since CE. Prior to H5, The last one i put any signficant time into was H3, and i had a lot of issues with that game.

Ive probably spent more time in H5 than i did H3 at this point, and im married with a kid and work 60+ hrs a week now.

There's a lot i hate about 343 and h5, but i play it because i legitimately find enjoyment.

Except those playing for money, few people will pay our is a sense of obligation.

Which playlist do you play to find enjoyment?  Just curious.  I've tried so hard but I only get enjoyment out of Evolved customs and sometimes some big team, but big team just pisses me off because it was so neglected. 

I can't even play arena anymore.  Literally every game, someone quits.   It is the worst multiplayer experience I know of.  MCC is more enjoyable, and that's saying something.