CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Guys, I just broke DOOM. Like Halo 2 out of bounds map exploration broken. I have too many clips to be able to link here, so just type my GT (same as here) into Xbox and check out my captures. I love this game even more now. I want H6 to ditch the kill countdown and just let us explore.

Almost the entire game is out of bounds. Really makes for an interesting speedrun.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope you know I'm kidding and don't actually want to start shit with you, please don't hate me.

I was some what certain you were just Joshing me. However, I will always approach you cautiously and uncertainly, my guard forever up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've just found a way out of the Res Ops centre entirely. You know when you turn on the power and the shutters open into the vast Mars plain? I got out there. Why does 343 insist on hindering player exploration? Do they even have fun playing their own campaigns?

PS: You can go REALLY FUCKING FAR AWAY from the Res Ops centre in the Mars plain. I just went up to one of the super distant background buildings, no collision on it. I see the Argent Tower farther out, going for it now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was some what certain you were just Joshing me. However, I will always approach you cautiously and uncertainly, my guard forever up.

INB4 I'm Drakeing you, and you just don't know it yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You have no idea how much I would give to be able to play Battlefield that way. Looks fun.

Man, when you have a good Team Leader and Squad leads in Red Orchestra 2 it can be great with all the teamwork.

But then Arty gets called in so you hide in whatever cover you can find hoping you don't become the next legless corpse flying in the air.

Or that you don't become this guy

I'm praying that Josh Menke will fix matchmaking.

He can fix the ranking system but theres more to matchmaking as a whole and a good player experience then a ranking system. Its a large part of it yeah but a lot of little things add up and I doubt he'll have anything to do with those.

And no matter what he does with the ranking system it means nothing if 343 puts their paws on it and puts their own spin on it and fucking it up.

He can fix the ranking system but theres more to matchmaking as a whole and a good player experience then a ranking system. Its a large part of it yeah but a lot of little things add up and I doubt he'll have anything to do with those.

And no matter what he does with the ranking system it means nothing if 343 puts their paws on it and puts their own spin on it and fucking it up.

I'm curious if he's in a more permanent position leading into the next title (not HW2). He kind of dipped just before Halo 5 came out and then 343 tweaked stuff for the worst after he left. The fact he's even bothering to address all of this stuff during Halo 5's lifespan is promising.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Help me please!

So i wrote this yesterday while at work and forgot to hit the post button so if these have all been covered already, please ignore  :simms:

Simple bullet points:

-Play on a monitor, not on a TV.  It doesn't need to be a $400 gaming monitor.  Any half-decent $150ish monitor will beat the pants off any TV.  Not sure if you are already doing this, but you should.  The difference in real world performance between a $150 monitor and $400 Gaming MOnitor are marginal at best so dont waste the money if you haven't.

-Settings are whatever you are comfortable with. Not because someone else uses them.  That said, Thrust on a paddle or bumper is pretty much required if you don't claw.

-Use forge to your advantage.  Just open up a map and fly around it memorizing where the spawn locations are.  In slayer and strongholds they'll be neutral. In CTF they'll be split down the middle.  Then keep in mind during the games that where you and your teammates are will block those spawns, so the enemy will be spawning in one of the other available zones.  

-Whenever you die quickly think "Why did i die there? What can i do to correct it?"  Occasionally challenging and taking a death is actually the right move too, so keep that in mind.

-Pay attention to the kill feed!! Seriously, this has always been a weakness of mine so i know but the kill feed can give you a lot of useful information.

-Crouch.  Just do it.  I'm being a little snarky, but also completely serious.

- Don't obsess over post-game stats.  Some of them, like total damage, are completely broken and can't be trusted. Others are misleading.  Having the best K/D in a game doesn't mean you played the best.  It could just mean that you played selfishly.  This is why teams can significantly out-slay an opponent, but still lose an objective game.  There are a million other examples where stats are totally misleading.

• Upvote (+1) 2

See I actually think the opposite. Objective requires so much coordination in games like Flag it can feel impossible to end a CTF match if you're the only decent one on your team. Or you get a mismatch and the other team steam rolls and 3 caps in under 2 minutes. That's also not fun for anyone. Slayer at least you can mind your own business and everyone is guaranteed a few minutes of play time.

I wouldn't ever put ctf or assault or strongholds in a social playlist. Single objectives like Koth work better at least because everyone can pile the fuck in one spot without thinking, there's at least concentrated chaos there.

So you would... never... put an objective gametype in social matchmaking?  And if you did it would be King, the most clusterfucky social gametype imaginable (other than empire strongholds)?

I am really glad you are not in charge of playlist management.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So you would... never... put an objective gametype in social matchmaking? And if you did it would be King, the most clusterfucky social gametype imaginable (other than empire strongholds)?

I am really glad you are not in charge of playlist management.

Well let's be fair here: this game in general doesn't truly support individual empowerment, especially when you aren't able to finish kills due to the spartan abilities. So when games like CTF and strongholds are prevalent in a playlist where team coordination likely doesn't exist, you will have absolutely no fun trying to push or hold objectives, as you can't do it all on your own (assuming that your teammates stink).

KoTH at least has a focused and single objective for players to go after, which makes game play simple and doesn't require as much planning as pushing for a flag cap or bomb plant. Although skirmish would probably get stale due to the lack of game types, it's entirely understandable why Multi would advocate for such a thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well let's be fair here: this game in general doesn't truly support individual empowerment, especially when you aren't able to finish kills due to the spartan abilities. So when games like CTF and strongholds are prevalent in a playlist where team coordination likely doesn't exist, you will have absolutely no fun trying to push or hold objectives, as you can't do it all on your own (assuming that your teammates stink).

KoTH at least has a focused and single objective for players to go after, which makes game play simple and doesn't require as much planning as pushing for a flag cap or bomb plant. Although skirmish would probably get stale due to the lack of game types, it's entirely understandable why Multi would advocate for such a thing.

Social Skirmish is supposed to be fun, and most times every one is bad together. Most people playing SS don't care that they won't be able to win all the time; it's social. Removing variety in a casual play space is just going to frustrate people. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I find it really strange that this place doesn't have a H6 or future of Halo discussion thread.

This thread basically serves the same purpose.

This thread basically serves the same purpose.

Kind of. Which makes this thread disjointed, off topic and gives it more of an air of bitching than constructive discussion.

• Downvote (-1) 4

I think King would be a welcome addition.  I would love king actually.  In the "343 add this as a default gametype" sense, not the crazy forge stuff that has to be done to recreate it now.

But removing flag and strongholds and bomb from social doesn't make any kind of sense.  Who cares if the situation isn't ideal for those gametypes?  Its social, literally nothing is ideal.  I happen to enjoy all manner of objective gametypes in social. as do a ton of other people.  The most common complaint i have seen about social skirmish for example is that there is TOO MUCH slayer in it.  If people didn't enjoy obj in social, this wouldn't be a complaint.  The complaint about having bad teammates isn't fair imo because the odds of most people on the other team being bad too are far greater than in ranked.

If changes are to be made to objective in social its that the gametypes need to be more carefully selected, not culled out entirely.

I 100% agree that there is not enough empowerment of the individual in Halo 5, but thats not a consequence of the gametypes so they shouldn't have to suffer for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1