CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@The Tyco, we need to play together more dude. Our beyond crew usually has a pretty good time. So long as you're down with Big Team, that is.

However, I'm on a 12hr overnight guard duty detail with no days off for the next 2 weeks, so it might be a bit. But add me if you haven't yet bc I wanna play.

@@The Tyco, we need to play together more dude. Our beyond crew usually has a pretty good time. So long as you're down with Big Team, that is.

However, I'm on a 12hr overnight guard duty detail with no days off for the next 2 weeks, so it might be a bit. But add me if you haven't yet bc I wanna play.

I'm "Solursus" (my Tyco account was lost). I believe I've already added you. I think I tried playing some Gears 4 coop with you, but you were playing with Batchford at the time.

I'm fine with BTB, or anything else other than Swat or Breakout. I clipped my competitive wings back in V7 Reach, however, so take that as you will.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which makes no sense. They were put together to make Halo. This franchise is fucked.

Lol what a constructive post by myself. I have lost all hope.

That's the problem. The studio was mashed together in an effort to keep the MS cash cow alive. A couple of people there may of wanted to be working on Halo games, but most of them there probably don't care what they make as long as it puts cash in their back pocket.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see this question come up quite a bit and wanted to take some time to actually construct a good answer to it. I've taken the time to go on Forgehub and screenshot every one of these maps and upload them for your convenience (since FH embeds the pictures in some BS HTML5 slideshow and you can't copy the picture URL). I've also hyperlinked every map for you.

If someone wants to copy this post into a dedicated thread that people could update progressively feel free. I'm not going to include anything I've made in this list.

If you're looking for awesome 4v4 maps

Loading Zone by Given To Fly 93

A5HliLK.jpg

This map is a great example of building a layout around a theme. The map in 2's ends up being very heads up auto heavy, but a 4v4 on Loading Zone will slow down the pace just enough to promote vital cross mapping and coordinated pushes. It favors strict pathing over free flowing large dance floors so if you're a fan of a little bit of hand-holding in 4's and punishing players over poor decisions this is a great map. If you like some more leniency to move as you like as the precedent 343 has left in maps like Empire this is pretty much the fundamental opposite.

Twice Forsaken by Secret Schnitzel

K8fBmDP.jpg

This is one of the earliest 4v4 maps in Halo 5 and I still believe it's the best 4's map in the game. It's built off of Ponytar's Imminent in Halo 1.5 if you're familiar with it, so the general map shape follows it but ditches some of the small scale pathing in favor of 4's scaling. I've never in my life seen a 4v4 map that forces players to rotate the way you might see in a 2's match the way Twice Forsaken does, so if you're a fan of great map rotation in 4's this is fantastic for you, if you value pistol battles within RRR and tight individual fights this probably isn't for you. Twice Forsaken also plays every gametype spectacularly.

Full Metal by XDemption

mwteGfh.jpg

Demption is the creator of that Arabian Knights themed 2v2 map Shurima that was in community doubles a while back. I generally find most of his maps extremely boring and lacking of any sort of unique geometry or character but I quite like Full Metal. It's probably the best purpose built map for Strongholds you'll find for 4v4. Demption also has a knack for forging excellent first drafts of maps and then making a bunch of stupid ass changes from stupid ass feedback and ruining a lot of the character his maps held. If you can find the earlier versions of Full Metal you'll be in an awesome place, if not then the current version is still awesome.

Hang em High style map by BodeyBode

I highly doubt anyone here has heard of Bodey but he had an awesome Hang Em' styled 4v4 map a while back that he began to apply art to but never finished. If you're willing to reach out and message him he might still have the file for it as it was never posted. It was really cool the few times I played it.

C9 Renovate by Brotastic Bear

hsVk7Fw.jpg

This guy is also a really random unknown forger who doesn't have a lot of good content under his name but he recently posted this map C9 Renovate which ended up being this really interesting assym that almost focuses around controlling the turret on a bridge (it's High Ground inspired). It takes a lot of ques from the room - to - room progression that High Ground had and ended up being a super well designed map with great point of division. If you like maps with tight pistol battles, great lines of sight, and unique sub-objectives this is a great map for you. Bear isn't incredible talented when it comes to art so the map is still in primitive form without any textures of color so that could definitely be off putting to many. If you're not okay with the turret being a key factor to the map then you also probably won't enjoy this. I actually love it.

Sea Town by Xxandrith

YnNdWjX.jpg

xXandrith is a super talented forger that sometimes struggles under his own standards of what his maps should resemble. Seatown is a bit older but has a pretty solid horseshoe design. There's not a lot of exceptionally unique battles or encounters here but it's a fairly solid "safe" design which I think a lot of people here might value. He's currently working on a revamped version of this with greater assymetry which will be a much much more interesting design, but for now Seatown is just a good fit for any gametype you throw on it. If you value excessively easy readability and "traditional" designs this will be a good fit for you. The map features some longer LOS which might make pistol battles a little more difficult but any teams of 4 who enjoy spreading out to handle individual routes and battles will have fun here.

Port 66 by Salty Koala Bear

daKVIef.jpg

Just a very very solid 3x3 4's map by Salty, nothing crazy here but it's easy to learn and has a clean polished design.

For that crispy doubles gameplay there's a much stronger map pool in H5.

High Guard by Given To Fly 93

No link yet because the map isn't finished but Given has been working on this map for about 10 months now and only recently has it entered playable state. It's super Guardian and Epitaph inspired not only on visuals but a lot of the encounters harken back as well. There's TONS of great pinches, incredible line of sights, a fair amount of power weapon emphasis and control, movement options, controlled pathing, and I firmly believe when he posts this it will be one of the best maps in the game. I have it listed under doubles but it plays really really awesome 4's as well. Keep an eye out for this one and add Given To Fly 93.

Storm Peaks by XXandrith

GS5rw0z.png

Easily xXandrith's best map. Super unique, highly verticle, and almost a complete focus on pistol gameplay. If you value great movement, strict pathing, verticality, pistol fights, and unique encounters this is awesome. Storm Peaks is highly punishing and I guarantee your first several games will have quite a few suicides so if you can get past the initial learning curve this map is so damn cool. Highly highly highly recommend it.

Imminent by Soul Flame

0n5xznk.jpg

Remake of Imminent by Pnytar from CE 1.5, just like the original but scaled for Halo 5's shitty pistol range.

Box by Box Knows

Not on his files yet but Box Knows has a super interesting CE styled hyper vertical angular map with tons of abstract angles and encounters. It's still in block out form but the few games I played on it were all tons of fun and could easily be a crowd favorite here at Beyond. Feel free to shoot Box a message and ask for the file.

Aerocrest by Ace of Spades

Kx7GN1G.jpg

Remake of a H3 map by incredible forgers. The design itself is pretty standard and cyclical, just like the previous map I'd imagine many people here at Beyond would value this map's simplicity.

Threshold v3 Kurismic

I guarentee no one here or on Forgehub will know of this map but it's the best 2v2 Flag map I've ever played in my years of gaming. I thought doubles flag would always be awful after so many ridiculous games of flag on Middy where once you and your teammate died a single time it's essentially a guaranteed cap for them. This is a must play for everyone, it was never posted so you'll have to hunt down Kurismic and search his files a few pages back to find it but it's so worth it. Awesome controlled pathing and great decision making and clutch play opportunities here for those of you who value that. Each player has an enormous burden of responsibility for each flag cap and I highly doubt there will be a better flag map for doubles made any time soon.

Dreamweaver by a 3 legged goat (for now Spellbound)

Not out yet but from what I've seen from Goat it'll be his most solid map yet. Looks like some truly unique encounters and movement opportunities here, and as usual, incredible artistic framing as a 3 legged goat is known for. I've linked his previous map Spellbound above, which is just okay. It's a pretty standard single atrium doubles map with fairly predictable encounters and LOS but it'll give you an idea of the artistic prowess of Goat.

BTB maps

Den of Thieves by Salta Koala Bear

I'm sure there's a ton of great BTB maps in Halo 5 but for the life of me I can't think of any right now. I'll leave you with Den of Thieves which is heavily Crows Nest inspired from the H3 campaign. I won't go into the design but it'll be a blast for any 8's. It's not posted but his GT is For Chub if anyone wants to download it.

1v1

Bioshift iTz Longhsot

ula4gng.jpg

Northern Darkness by SoldatDuChrist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5mtHnKZBzk

Couldn't get pics of Northern Darkness so there's a video. 1v1 maps are fairly unexplored within Halo 5 as far as I can see but both of these maps feature a solid 1v1 design with some questionable power weapon placement. Northern Darkness has a spankr (which I think is ******** for a 1v1) and Bioshift has just about every weapon under the sun but the actual geometry between these two maps are excellent. Feel free to give both a download and tweak the weapons yourself if you feel the need.

On a related note, myself and another forger might be sponsoring a 1v1 Map contest within the coming months and we'll be donating several hundred $ out of our pockets to drive forgers to create some awesome maps within this category since we feel like it should be explored further. Afterwards we're hoping to partner with Forgehub to actually host a competition on the maps that win, so keep an eye out for that :)

Anyways, hope that helps everyone out.

PS I spent 2 hours on this post give me ur rep

I'm glad you actually liked my weird experiment map, aka Threshold. I wanted to do so much more with it, but back then Forge was so glitchy I couldn't use the pieces I wanted to, nor did I have the objects to do it. It plays a fantastic 2v2 flag (5 flag ftw) and not much else haha! All it was ever meant to play was 2v2 Flag, so mission accomplished? Anyways, cheers...I'll probably try an inspired project later sometime!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm actualy starting to feel bad for 343, just a little bit.

At this point is pretty obvious that they don't want to be making Halo games and would much rather do their own thing.

I would support them in making new games that aren't Halo. Its been said before by many, Halo 5 is a good game, just not a good Halo game. They drop the Halo namesake, their games would become waaay more popular. it wouldn't be a case of "The old Halo games were better this game is shit"

it would be "Wow, This game is actually pretty good"

Frankly, I think if H5 didn't have "Halo" on the box, even fewer people would be playing it. That said, I get the larger sentiment. If they weren't stuck with Halo, they would be able to fully commit to their derivative gimmicks instead of always occupying a state of perpetual mediocrity between the games they want to knock off and obligatory concessions to how people want Halo games to play. This is exactly why I think 343 should make more spin-offs and leave the core formula alone.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I'm pretty sure this isn't the right place, but I'm desperate. Sorry. Would any of you gents be willing to share your amazing H5 knowledge with 2 old imbeciles dying to be decent at team arena? My friend and I are just getting destroyed in gold and we would appreciate any and all help/advice to better our game. To hedge my ego's bet's, I'm totally prepared to just have a lot of people point and laugh at this despicable plea for help. So no hard feelings if all this post does is boost some peeps self-esteem.

I made this for another user here last year. If you find it helpful, I'd take a look at yours too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ngLqirxKc

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm pretty sure this isn't the right place, but I'm desperate. Sorry. Would any of you gents be willing to share your amazing H5 knowledge with 2 old imbeciles dying to be decent at team arena? My friend and I are just getting destroyed in gold and we would appreciate any and all help/advice to better our game. To hedge my ego's bet's, I'm totally prepared to just have a lot of people point and laugh at this despicable plea for help. So no hard feelings if all this post does is boost some peeps self-esteem.

I've made hundreds of tip videos for Halo over the years. If you need to know anything in particular or have any questions, feel free to message me at any time. :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

^^Clicked's stuff is really, really solid and presented well. Very easy to digest. I've learned a lot from his stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Frankly, I think if H5 didn't have "Halo" on the box, even fewer people would be playing it. That said, I get the larger sentiment. If they weren't stuck with Halo, they would be able to fully commit to their derivative gimmicks instead of always occupying a state of perpetual mediocrity between the games they want to knock off and obligatory concessions to how people want Halo games to play. This is exactly why I think 343 should make more spin-offs and leave the core formula alone.

if they need halo on the box, another story driven game like odst would be good. maybe halo wars 2 is the right fit for them too. if they really want to make more halo multiplayer, please play some h1-3 to see what made it special. or hire people who know.

but i agree with your sentiment. right now halo feels like peter jackson's hobbit: something he was forced to do and then spread over 3 installments for the cash

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm actualy starting to feel bad for 343, just a little bit.

At this point is pretty obvious that they don't want to be making Halo games and would much rather do their own thing.

I would support them in making new games that aren't Halo. Its been said before by many, Halo 5 is a good game, just not a good Halo game. They drop the Halo namesake, their games would become waaay more popular. it wouldn't be a case of "The old Halo games were better this game is shit"

it would be "Wow, This game is actually pretty good"

There's some truth to this, but let's not pretend that 343 is doing these amazing things and is only held back by being tied to the Halo franchise.

Their shitty servers, the fact that H5 launched with barely any content, the "free updates", their shady microtransaction scheme, the lack of transparency and communication, their "pride over functionality" attitude to game design and of course the constant lying and deceiving with the H4 DLC debacle and MCC make 343 a sub-par developer and this would be no different if they had their own franchise and didn't work on Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 8

HA, YOU SUCK, LOL. GTFO SCRUB. 

In seriousness, you've come to the one place where people probably won't laugh at you for being lower skilled. This was funny, but only because it was completely unexpected for the type of community we are. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forgive the double post preeze but I would love to get a BTB lobby going tonight if anyone is on.

No forgiveness! BANNED and #FreeCooper

• Upvote (+1) 4

Forgive the double post preeze but I would love to get a BTB lobby going tonight if anyone is on.

Are you still Hawaii time dude? I thought you moved WEast?

My coursework is fucked so I have to sleep at old man times, but if you're on earlier I can play...

But fuck BTB with BR's though fam.

Are you still Hawaii time dude? I thought you moved WEast?

My coursework is fucked so I have to sleep at old man times, but if you're on earlier I can play...

But fuck BTB with BR's though fam.

No I'm in Kansas now. And H5 BTB is my guilty pleasure. I actually really enjoy it a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No I'm in Kansas now. And H5 BTB is my guilty pleasure. I actually really enjoy it a lot.

Did they ever fix the frame rate problems?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did they ever fix the frame rate problems?

Nah but they've modified a few maps to make it a little better. Last I saw they have a fix in the works (or they've already fixed it) and it'll be coming soon TM.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nah but they've modified a few maps to make it a little better. Last I saw they have a fix in the works (or they've already fixed it) and it'll be coming soon TM.

Good to know.  BTB has always been my favorite mode to play, especially searching solo.