CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

and brought too many button presses that added complexity to the controls, but really added no depth to the gameplay.

Sounds like 343 to me. Maybe you should appreciate their incompetence for once.

Im not trying to be a dick but you think if 99 percent of people dont understand it, maybe you're the one misundertanding it? Agree that maybe you could make the thrust a bit shorter, but I think clamber really adds to halo and would love it in all future halos. People may say "It makes moving around the map easier for noobs" which in reading hundreds of pages on here, is not a popular addition. Many people don't like anything that makes the game easier for the casual, which I somewhat agree with.

But in terms of clamber, just because you can clamber onto a ledge, doesn't mean you can compete with better players. I watch streams everyday and cannot fathom what the pros do with auto-stabilize and clamber. They make thrust jumps slides etc that I will try for hours and still not make once. My point is I believe clamber is a great addition because it does make the game more fun for the everyday casual player, but not where it gives you any advantage over higher level players. Something like the snipe having high magnetism is something that would close the gap between an average player and an above average player.

Does it really make the game more enjoyable for causals though. People coming at you from 480 different directions every second doesn't seem super casual friendly

• Upvote (+1) 4

im sure this has been asked before, but do yall think coli flag should be 5 caps or is the ability for a 3 min game appealing?

im sure this has been asked before, but do yall think coli flag should be 5 caps or is the ability for a 3 min game appealing?

I think it's fine at 3 caps to win. If a team gets stomped with three caps, they're just going to get stomped longer at 5 caps.

It's an impressive feat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's fine at 3 caps to win. If a team gets stomped with three caps, they're just going to get stomped longer at 5 caps.

It's an impressive feat.

no doubt. a quick 3-0 coli flag is what turned the str8/inc series if i remember right

This implementation of clamber blows. It COULD be implemented better (and i wouldnt complain if they did it right) But it would be much easier from a design/balance/testing standpoint to just take out of future releases.

Allowing people to clamber above their heads in addition thrust-jump-stabilize-crouch combos forced maps to be way stretched... and brought too many button presses that added complexity to the controls, but really added no depth to the gameplay.

It's a strategy to sell more controllers, since you will be inevitably break them

Im not trying to be a dick but you think if 99 percent of people dont understand it, maybe you're the one misundertanding it? Agree that maybe you could make the thrust a bit shorter, but I think clamber really adds to halo and would love it in all future halos. People may say "It makes moving around the map easier for noobs" which in reading hundreds of pages on here, is not a popular addition. Many people don't like anything that makes the game easier for the casual, which I somewhat agree with.

But in terms of clamber, just because you can clamber onto a ledge, doesn't mean you can compete with better players. I watch streams everyday and cannot fathom what the pros do with auto-stabilize and clamber. They make thrust jumps slides etc that I will try for hours and still not make once. My point is I believe clamber is a great addition because it does make the game more fun for the everyday casual player, but not where it gives you any advantage over higher level players. Something like the snipe having high magnetism is something that would close the gap between an average player and an above average player.

No offence taken, but you may have misunderstood what my post was about, it was in response to @@Goat 's great post about clamber here:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-5428?do=findComment&comment=894543

This is what I was referencing as the flaws 99% of players don't understand, it's not necessarily about the fact it "makes moving around the map easier for noobs" but more about how drastically it negatively impacts Halo's gameplay and map design, you can get practically anywhere on the map in Halo 5 within seconds and when you have 8 players all doing this in a 4v4 it makes the game play chaotic, hence the reason we have radar in competitive now. Just by looking at Goat's post you can see how the maps would have to be designed in Halo 5 JUST to negate clamber, but like I said there would be far less of a problem with clamber if sprint was gone and thruster was tweaked for Halo 6, and then the job of designing maps around clamber would be FAR easier.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ya'll are still missing the point. 

Each one of these colored blocks represents 8 feet.

Dd9ujeK.png

Both of the large pale blocks are at the same height. If I don't want the player to reach the block on the right by jumping, it has to be 40 feet away from him. (edit: The player could still reach it with Sprint, but pushing it to 50 feet cut off access.)

hkXGBA3.png

This is how far the block has to be in Halo 5 to cut off access to that platform. 120 feet, which is THREE FUCKING TIMES AS FAR AWAY. When people say you can fly across the map in Halo 5, it's not an exaggeration. That's 112 feet between the blocks. 

Oh, and your pistol's red reticle aim assist stops after about here by the way. 

GQMVN0u.png

So that's distance. Let's look at height. The block on the bottom right is 8 feet tall and 32 feet away from the Spartan. He can't jump up to it. 

dmAg1z6.png

This is how high the block has to be to prevent him from getting up there in Halo 5. I'll give you one guess how much taller it is than him. 

482Rwk1.png

If i want that area to be in red reticle range, but off limits to the player, it has to be at least 56 feet away and at least 24 feet high.

qV5WNl2.png

What's the moral of the story here? 

In previous Halo games, there was a good mix of vertical and shallow maps, and big maps and small maps. In Halo 5, you don't have a fucking choice, because otherwise players can pretty much go wherever they want. 

Oh, and this would be non existent without Clamber in the game. You can still fly across the fucking map with Sprint Thrust Slide Stabalize and Ground Pound, but at least you wont be able to clamber up anything. 

edit: I'm eliminating variables like slopes, cover, long ranged weapons and vehicles for obvious reasons, but I suppose I should acknowledge the loopholes for argument's sake. Yes, you can put railings or bevels on the platforms or you can shrink the left block so the player cannot get a sprinting start. But both of those are forced on the designer. 

i came

• Upvote (+1) 5

ill make a video that better explains the whole clamber thing. some people need to see it in motion to make sense of the scaling thing

Collaborate with Multi while you're at it. That'd be great.

Just randomly searched for posts of NavG123 on Waypoint, and this was modded back then:

"Stop...

right...
there...You mean that people started giving constructive criticism, and you interpret it as "trolls going into hiding"?Yeah, I'm done arguing with you. All you do is consistently give me flawed arguments and bias. I haven't seen a single intelligent reply from you. None."

So glad I stopped coming there.

And while we're at it on waypoint...

"This just my opinion and is no way the right answer, but I'd say the Hydra takes the most skill to use. The one reason it takes the most skill is that it only locks on while scoped. This means you either have to have a team mate distract the enemy or have great positioning."

So what weapon do YOU think takes the most skill in halo 5?

So a guy who can't finish a map and a guy who can't finish a video walk into a bar...

they find the guy making jokes about em and beat the fuck out of him.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

The only way I see clambor could work in Halo, is if it's completely removed as a base trait of the player. It should become an interactive environmental trait instead.

That way, map designers can have complete control over where a player is or isn't allowed to clambor, and can completely avoid Halo 5's blatant nonsense.

Let's take two ledges hanging above you that are the exact same height, except one is highlighted/painted/outlined/TakeYourFuckingPick in an obvious and distinctive way.That one is clamborable.

If it's done this way, map designers wouldn't be shackled by it, could use it sparingly, or make their maps complete jungle gyms to their hearts content. The mechanic just needs to be visually obvious on the map itself.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The only way I see clambor could work in Halo, is if it's completely removed as a base trait of the player. It should become an interactive environmental trait instead.

That way, map designers can have complete control over where a player is or isn't allowed to clambor, and can completely avoid Halo 5's blatant nonsense.

Let's take two ledges hanging above you that are the exact same height, except one is highlighted/painted/outlined/TakeYourFuckingPick in an obvious and distinctive way.That one is clamborable.

If it's done this way, map designers wouldn't be shackled by it, could use it sparingly, or make their maps complete jungle gyms to their hearts content. The mechanic just needs to be visually obvious on the map itself.

but how is that immersive?

Players expect to clamber always.

snip

That's one way to do it, but is pretty heavy handed. I feel like every map would have to look like a Mirrors Edge map in order to effectively relay that info to the player.

One of the biggest problems with Locomotion in this game is that maps were blocked out BEFORE Spartan Abilities were finalized. So map designers never really had an opportunity to influence player movement appropriately.

Map design, movement traits, weapon balance, all SHOULD go hand in hand, but it feels like they were handled in vacuums in this game.

By imposing certain limitations on Spartan Abilities and disciplined map design, proper control could be imposed.

By nixing unlimited sprint, removing sprint storing, increasing sprint warm uptime, applying a dampening effect to slide, and requiring a significant portion of a Spartan to clear a ledge in order to clamber (just shy of a successful crouch jump), map designers would have A TON more control over where players can go without having to stretch maps or make clamber an object specific trait.

The map designer could then design elevated areas with better knowledge and control of how Spartans will be moving in their approach to the jump.

Also, I Wouldnt mind clamber being removed completely and replaced with auto-stabilize. (Tying it to zoom is clunky anyway). This would enable it to be used for skill jumping in any direction.

Also map designers need to stop throwing useless geometry all over the place. The random railings, lips, aesthetic items and protrusions help enable the unpredictable movement,

• Upvote (+1) 1

So a guy who can't finish a map and a guy who can't finish a video walk into a bar...

What it with you and your all-guy bar jokes?

Oh give him the benefit the of the doubt. Perhaps this establishment is hosting a "Women with no legs drink free" night. It'd be crawling with pussy.

Holy SHIT you win post of the month im crying
  • Upvote (+1) 6

ill make a video that better explains the whole clamber thing. some people need to see it in motion to make sense of the scaling thing

Sprint has been destroyed in videos, showing how it doesn't belong in halo.

But haven't seen a clamber video, I look forward to watching it! :)

Oh give him the benefit the of the doubt. Perhaps this establishment is hosting a "Women with no legs drink free" night. It'd be crawling with pussy.

Holy fuck I'm dead

• Upvote (+1) 1