CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

They'd be better off just doing a no spartan abilities playlist rather than just removing sprint. You're already removing two more abilities without sprint and it would be an easier transition for the casual players.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is what kills me.  Tried playing with my normal 4 squad last night, having the same issues, while we're playing against people that don't seem to have these problems at all.

I don't consider myself a 343 apologist by any means, and I've been pretty vocal about issues, but after the night I had last night, and then seeing the community update today, I'm so close to done.  I don't give a shit about Warzone, I don't give a shit about Halo Wars, and for god sakes, did anyone watch the community update play of the week?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Streaks/video/25286212

It's a 3rd person theater view of a guy walking (not juggling, jumping, thrusting; just walking) a flag across a big team map.

There is so much god damn effort put into this game from the production and development side, hundreds of people, hundreds of millions of dollars, so so so much done to try and attract the casual crowd, and when it comes down to it, all anyone who wants to play an online FPS wants is solid aim feel and good servers, and for all that time, and money, and effort H5 doesn't have it.  I'm still not convinced that the modern world wouldn't welcome a more vanilla, old-school Arena style movement shooter if it was polished and presented for today's crowd.

I don't like the concept behind Overwatch, having to learn all the heroes, the maps are pretty boring, it often feels slow, but I genuinely enjoy playing shooters on the console after these last 15 years, and I've been enjoying Overwatch because it is such a freaking solid product.  I haven't noticed an ounce of lag, and while the aiming is definitely unique and un-Halo when compared to the original trilogy, it's still confidence inspiring which is what really matters.  

For those who haven't played Overwatch, you know what it does when it's taking too long to find a match?  Throws you into a skirmish until it finds enough players. You can practice with the heroes, learn the map, and it seamlessly handles transitioning into an actual game when the time comes.  Also, I know everyone has seen the Gears update about handling disconnects.

Halo 2 built the concept of online console FPS play with its party and matchmaking system, and since then the series has slowly allowed every other console shooter to do all the things it had the potential to be first on.  It blew my mind last night when I was playing and shit like this was happening:

https://streamable.com/vrkju

And I realized that things often times feel more like a beta in H5, then they did in the actual beta.  We lost split screen, anything further out than 50m runs at 30FPS, anything Forge in Arena seems to run like shit now, we finally have dedicated servers but the game feels worse than ever, and for what?  I'll admit, I've embraced the Spartan Abilities, because they're there and can be fun to use, but aside from that, there's nothing that H5 has improved upon in the series, and more so than any other release (yes, including H4, which for the most part was always crispy as hell), it has moved backwards in all the respects that actually matter.

This turned into far more of a rant than I wanted, and a lot of it is just a rewording of what everyone else has been saying for over a year now, but I really feel like Microsoft and 343 are trying to shake off our side of the Halo community.  Sure, we have HCS, and they hired a pro team and we all got excited about it, but if they really cared so much why is it that H5 is consistently denounced as being one of the worst all around competitive entries in the series?  Are they trying too hard?  Too many cooks in the kitchen?  Or, could it be that having 17 versions of the AR tied to REQ packs that they make real money off of by 12 year olds who don't know any better means far more than a bunch of cynical has-beens pining for the yesteryears of balanced, brutal, methodical competitive Halo play?

6 days late but this deserves to be posted again. Well said.

• Upvote (+1) 1

vs implying the community that likes classic settings is small, or that much significantly smaller in comparrison?

Clearly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

That would be a silly way to approach the problem.

You'd store the data locally, for the entirety of the match, then send it to the server when the match is over.

Right, I don't know alot about networks and client-server comms.

I just gave a hypothetical to the issue that made logical sense. Wether it's what is actually done or preferred is beyond me.

Because the demand for it is very little?

It would be a cool weekend playlist and that's about it.

Well that's an assumption.

Where did I say anything about "visuals" and a comparison of the two? Totally unrelated argument to what I stated. I was speaking about Network and the back end logistics of a games systems.

This statement is not only completely wrong not just in terms of modern game design, but in general. That logic doesn't apply in a ton of scenarios, particularly in coding and in physics. You might be right if we were in the early days of gaming (Ex. Pong), but you CANNOT definitively say that what is presented to the gamer is directly correlated to what is happening in the back end.

Why am I even arguing with you? You've shown time and time again that objective facts don't matter to you, just your own subjective perception of things. I'm stopping here.

Tell me where are these objective facts you speak of.  

I have no clue what definition of backend you are using, because what you keep saying makes no fucking sense.  I am using the one that I learned in college as a software engineer that goes something along the lines taken here from wikipedia.  

"In software engineering, the terms front end and back end refers to the separation of concerns between the presentation layer (front end), and the data access layer (back end) of a piece of software, or the physical infrastructure or hardware"

Items on the front end of software are always correlated to some kind of backend data structure so input and output can be handled.  Pretty fucking elementary really.

It's pretty simple.  If you have more elements with input and outputs on the front end, then the backend it going to have more data structures to handle the ins and out processing.  Like I said, backend complexity is directly correlated. So when you compare games like BF1 and H5, it is pretty easy to see that there are more items being displayed to the user in BF1.   Not only that, the items have more dynamic reactions, which furthers the complexity of the backend even more because the data structures are now affecting each other based on value.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Clearly.

Is that why when they gave us the shitty attempt of a weekend classic playlist, there was public backlash? Because the community that cares is sooooo small? clearly. You're in denial.

I can remember the twitch feed going off on 343 for giving us that pathetic attempt of a classic playlist. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is that why when they gave us the shitty attempt of a weekend classic playlist, there was public backlash? Because the community that cares is sooooo small? clearly. You're in denial.

I can remember the twitch feed going off on 343 for giving us that pathetic attempt of a classic playlist. 

I'm in denial and you think that this apparent huge community that wants a classic playlist is bigger than the Infection and Grifball communities.

Ok.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I'm in denial and you think that this apparent huge community that wants a classic playlist is bigger than the Infection and Grifball communities.

Ok.

Never said it was bigger.  I said it's not small enough to disregard and neglect.  It deserves a playlist just like the rest.  Especially since they fucked up MCC so bad which was our only hope.  

I'd play H5 more often if there was a decent classic playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Never said it was bigger.  I said it's not small enough to disregard and neglect.  It deserves a playlist just like the rest.  Especially since they fucked up MCC so bad which was our only hope.  

It deserves a playlist, of course but not a permanent one. I'm still on the fence about a permanent Grifball playlist. Should be rotating with a classic/anniversary list, Super Fiesta, etc.

• Downvote (-1) 8

It deserves a playlist, of course but not a permanent one. I'm still on the fence about a permanent Grifball playlist. Should be rotating with a classic/anniversary list, Super Fiesta, etc.

If devs are gonna make a niche playlist, they shouldn't be cunts and let it only be played once a season.  That's just rude and enough to piss off said communities.

inb4 "oh but the population can't handle that many playlists"  

I can get games in MCC just fine and its population is abysmal.  MCC has a shit ton of playlists too.    

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are more people wanting classic halo than everything that makes up h5.

Who knows how many of these people are still around though.

They've gone off to play better games because H5 is dumpster trash. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Permanent Infection and Grifball sounds more appealing than a classic playlist but hey, that's just me. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Permanent Infection and Grifball sounds more appealing than a classic playlist but hey, that's just me.

I haven't been here long but you're the only person here I would classify as a hardcore 343 fanboy/shill. So ya, that's not surprising.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I haven't been here long but you're the only person here I would classify as a hardcore 343 fanboy/shill. So ya, that's not surprising.

I see value in something that others do not. Obvs shill. Alright. Appreciate the honor though

I see value in something that others do not. Obvs shill. Alright. Appreciate the honor though

No. It's due to you being a passive aggressive dick head at all times. Fanboyism 101.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sorry. Accidental + rep. Stupid mobile.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

No. It's due to you being a passive aggressive dick head at all times. Fanboyism 101.

At all times? Ok. I have disagreed with 343 many times before so you can cut the fanboy/shill crap. I apologize I don't do it in the manner or as often that most ITT do. 

I need a "Fixed Aiming" Playlist

It's almost comical the amount of "things" they've done to "fix" the aiming system but haven't actually just given us the beta aiming system. Somehow it's almost worse what they've done than just doing nothing at all. 

343 is a joke to me now. Literally nothing they've done gives me confidence in future titles. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's almost comical the amount of "things" they've done to "fix" the aiming system but haven't actually just given us the beta aiming system. Somehow it's almost worse what they've done than just doing nothing at all.

343 is a joke to me now. Literally nothing they've done gives me confidence in future titles.

Everyone always bags on 343. Stop the negativity guys!! They may make shit games, but at least they've ruined the story so the books mean nothing :) :) :) :) :(:) :) :) :)
  • Upvote (+1) 3