CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If you want a semi-accurate stat you have to die right before the game ends. Even then grenade damage is totally wrong and im sure other shit is off too. It doesnt really mean much.

So, did I get this right? Well, I am not surprised.

ZIKgpT6.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

It's so crazy that damage dealt isn't recorded as damage is dealt. It seems so trivial.

Could be a way to prevent overloading the server with information that isn't particularly important to the moment-to-moment gameplay at any given rate. You have to take into account just how many variables and information that a server could be processing as it happens.

From a programming perspective, it would be much easier to record stats 'onDeath' rather than 'onInstance.' Significantly less pings would go to and from the server using 'onDeath' than the latter. 

Ex. In a single slayer match, you will have > 50+ pings to the server to record stats of 8 individual players. If you were to record stats as they happened, regardless of the circumstance, that number would balloon like crazy, because not every instance of shooting results in a kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could be a way to prevent overloading the server with information that isn't particularly important to the moment-to-moment gameplay at any given rate. You have to take into account just how many variables and information that a server could be processing as it happens.

From a programming perspective, it would be much easier to record stats 'onDeath' rather than 'onInstance.' Significantly less pings would go to and from the server using 'onDeath' than the latter.

Ex. In a single slayer match, you will have > 50+ pings to the server to record stats of 8 individual players. If you were to record stats as they happened, regardless of the circumstance, that number would balloon like crazy, because not every instance of shooting results in a kill.

Maybe they could do it when victims die? Like any damage you've done to a player since their last shield recharge gets counted when they die, instead of when you die. To me that seems like the best way to do it, because it also counts a more useful stat, "Unmitigated Damage". It might also allow for a "Damage Mitigated" stat, which would also be really useful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Much more complicated games are able to record much more data than Halo 5 does on the fly so I don't buy it. Just another example of incompetence or laziness on 343's part. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Maybe they could do it when victims die? Like any damage you've done to a player since their last shield recharge gets counted when they die, instead of when you die. To me that seems like the best way to do it, because it also counts a more useful stat, "Unmitigated Damage". It might also allow for a "Damage Mitigated" stat, which would also be really useful.

That's hilarious...  :walshy:

That's actually why damage is counted on tallied assists believe it or not. You've pretty much stated exactly why the damage you will see at the end of a Perfection will only come from how much damage you did that counted towards assists.

Much more complicated games are able to record much more data than Halo 5 does on the fly so I don't buy it. Just another example of incompetence or laziness on 343's part. 

Remember, assuming makes an ASS out of U + ME. 

At the end of the day, unless someone here reverse-engineers the Halo 5 backend, does so for any other game, or we wait for certain patents to expire, it will remain asinine to just make a claim and echo it without any sort of verifiable proof. 

You can't make a definitive statement that a game is more complicated based on information gathered from the front-end. 

Ex. "Battlefied 1 is the most complicated FPS game ever because the player counts are large compared to other FPS games." 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Things we wouldn't have to deal with if 343 did what Bethesda does and let us mod for private custom games and minor aesthetics:

- MCC

- Having to kill yourself to get the correct stats

- Problems in prior games (like H3 BR spread)

- Aiming problems

- Whatever else is wrong with H5 since I'm too tired to be up to date on its problems anymore

- Aesthetic problems like the weird reflectiveness of some Forge objects

They could just take the mod and incorporate it into an official update (or a future game). We'd also gain some empathy for 343, since we'd have the same dev experience they do. I mean, Halo is like 90% outsourced anyway.

Lol, it looks like someone took a lighting wall fixture and stuck it to their head. WTF is that?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Crazy that there is still no classic/no sprint list in H5.

Not really.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Remember, assuming makes an ASS out of U + ME. 

At the end of the day, unless someone here reverse-engineers the Halo 5 backend, does so for any other game, or we wait for certain patents to expire, it will remain asinine to just make a claim and echo it without any sort of verifiable proof. 

You can't make a definitive statement that a game is more complicated based on information gathered from the front-end. 

Ex. "Battlefied 1 is the most complicated FPS game ever because the player counts are large compared to other FPS games." 

Battlefield 1 makes H5G visually look like dogshit in comparison.  All the while, it has much more stuff going on all at once because its higher player count and larger maps   What the f*** are you even trying to say?  And yes, you can totally assume a games backend complexity is directly correlated to the fidelity and complexity of it's front end you big doofus. That's just a stupid statement.     

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Why

Because the demand for it is very little? 

It would be a cool weekend playlist and that's about it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why

Inb4 "the masses don't give a shit about classic settings" yada yada typical 343 apologistic compromise bullshit. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because the demand for it is very little? 

It would be a cool weekend playlist and that's about it.

so the small griffball and infection communities get their own dedicated playlists, but the Halo purists get the shaft?    fuck that. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

so the small griffball and infection communities get their own dedicated playlists, but the Halo purists get the shaft?    fuck that. 

Implying their communities are small.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Inb4 "the masses don't give a shit about classic settings" yada yada typical 343 apologistic compromise bullshit. 

It should be clear enough that the people still playing don't care about sprint. There would be no reason at this point, the playlist would be empty.

That would be a silly way to approach the problem.

You'd store the data locally, for the entirety of the match, then send it to the server when the match is over.

the only stats that need to be updated throughout the course of the match are those that pertain to the win condition. All the others are just needed to generate the post-game report.

Even if there was a reason to poll for stats throughout the claw 2 of the match. It would make more sense to poll everything during set time intervals, then again when the match ends.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Battlefield 1 makes H5G visually look like dogshit in comparison.  All the while, it has much more stuff going on all at once because its higher player count and larger maps   What the f*** are you even trying to say?  And yes, you can totally assume a games backend complexity is directly correlated to the fidelity and complexity of it's front end you big doofus. That's just a stupid statement.     

Where did I say anything about "visuals" and a comparison of the two? Totally unrelated argument to what I stated. I was speaking about Network and the back end logistics of a games systems.

And yes, you can totally assume a games backend complexity is directly correlated to the fidelity and complexity of it's front end you big doofus.

This statement is not only completely wrong not just in terms of modern game design, but in general. That logic doesn't apply in a ton of scenarios, particularly in coding and in physics. You might be right if we were in the early days of gaming (Ex. Pong), but you CANNOT definitively say that what is presented to the gamer is directly correlated to what is happening in the back end.

Why am I even arguing with you? You've shown time and time again that objective facts don't matter to you, just your own subjective perception of things. I'm stopping here. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Implying their communities are small.

vs implying the community that likes classic settings is small, or that much significantly smaller in comparrison?

• Upvote (+1) 4