CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

One thing I dearly miss in Halo is splitscreen.

Same but split screen had such bad FPS in H4 and H2A and I think H5 would be have worse

I wish we could just delete the campaign ourselves to free up some of that near 100gb space

Or, yunno, have more versatile installation options overall (past campaign) over being forced to download 100Gbs of shit we don't need.

ftfy

seriously. forge maps just need to be removed from 4v4 mm. None of the current ones are good, and they all have framerate issues. All the big team ones have framerate issues too as do fiesta, triple team etc but those aren't exactly the most sensitive gametypes.

I hate white cell, but it didn't have frame issues until the update.

There's a bunch of people here who like the map for some odd reason

The Azure solution ensures that their are 'enough dedis' because their cloud spins up virtual machines to host games on demand. So the capacity problem is essentially solved, but replaced with a proximity problem.

You are right, allowing the community to run their own servers would be an awesome solution, and really, if we aren't going to have p2p functionality (a requirement for LAN), we need to be able run our own servers.

I don't even see why the closed system prevents it from happening. They could write and publish UWP app for this purpose.

Yeah, this is an argument I have been making since we knew that LAN wasn't going to be supported.  If there isn't lan, then something like a "Host Local Game" option in the Halo app for example, would be great.  You could set up your own local server to run customs in and solve the issue where 343 needs to bring live servers to events.  I could go to a buddy's house and play lan and talk shit to them in the same room.  Its a little more work to execute on the players part, but would provide an even more level experience since nobody's xbox would need to be host.

Yeah, this is an argument I have been making since we knew that LAN wasn't going to be supported.  If there isn't lan, then something like a "Host Local Game" option in the Halo app for example, would be great.  You could set up your own local server to run customs in and solve the issue where 343 needs to bring live servers to events.  I could go to a buddy's house and play lan and talk shit to them in the same room.  Its a little more work to execute on the players part, but would provide an even more level experience since nobody's xbox would need to be host.

I'm guessing a lot of this wasn't based on technical decisions, but rather 343 pulling a Blizzard and doing everything they could to make it difficult for non-partners to run tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm guessing a lot of this wasn't based on technical decisions, but rather 343 pulling a Blizzard and doing everything they could to make it difficult for non-partners to run tournaments.

Which i think we can agree is idiotic.

Blizzard can restrict stuff like that because they are Blizzard.  There is really no other reason for it.  Blizzard could open a turn sandwich shop and people would give it 5 stars on Yelp. (hyperbole but you get the point).

For 343 to do that would be moronic.  I don't think they did this based on technical decisions or a desire to keep non-partners from running anything.  I think it was simply something that they didn't deem to be worth their development time.  

Which i think we can agree is idiotic.

Blizzard can restrict stuff like that because they are Blizzard. There is really no other reason for it. Blizzard could open a turn sandwich shop and people would give it 5 stars on Yelp. (hyperbole but you get the point).

For 343 to do that would be moronic. I don't think they did this based on technical decisions or a desire to keep non-partners from running anything. I think it was simply something that they didn't deem to be worth their development time.

Every major dev does it, Riot and Valve have full control of their LAN clients.

Every major dev does it, Riot and Valve have full control of their LAN clients.

I dont care about LoL.  Not a shooter.  You can setup your own CS:GO server though 

Low key I wish that they would have been unable to fix the frame drops so they would have just removed the Forge maps.

White Cell is clean looking and has a halfway decent design, Pegasus is alright now I suppose, but Orion still just seems like a ton of shit smashed together without purpose—both aesthetically and in gameplay.

IMO, I would much rather have engaging limited-time playlists (including Community Forge playlists) rather than 343 continually running the "risk" of putting (bad) Forge maps into standard Arena MM

• Downvote (-1) 2

I cant think of a technical or operational reason not to allow people to set up their own servers. It's not like halo is in a market position where monopolizing halo Esports is financially beneficial.

The lack of local hosting abilities destroyed any chance of halo 5 having a sizeable amateur scene. Relying solely on sanctioned 'LANs' that require equipment from 343 and unsactioned Local Online events is a non starter.

It's as if they truly felt online only would be sufficient, so they didn't do the frontend work when developing the game to make Local Servers thing.

Out of touch

• Upvote (+1) 2

I dont care about LoL. Not a shooter. You can setup your own CS:GO server though

???? Can you setup an CSGO LAN ??? Do you the reasoning behind it ?? Because Kespa made so much money out of SC:BW without needing Blizzard

I cant think of a technical or operational reason not to allow people to set up their own servers. It's not like halo is in a market position where monopolizing halo Esports is financially beneficial.

The lack of local hosting abilities destroyed any chance of halo 5 having a sizeable amateur scene. Relying solely on sanctioned 'LANs' that require equipment from 343 and unsactioned Local Online events is a non starter.

It's as if they truly felt online only would be sufficient, so they didn't do the frontend work when developing the game to make Local Servers thing.

Out of touch

You'd be hard pressed to find any game that is popular locally that has player counts > 2. It's really strange, because as much as people lament the removal of split screen, no one would pay to go to a tourney for H5 knowing that they will be playing on a quadrant of a monitor.

Um, has anyone played today?  I just got Pegasus 2 and the frame issues are fixed - they also made a few subtle changes to weapon placement and jump-ups on it.  I've honestly had more consistency with my aimer feeling responsive too just across the board.  I haven't seen any announcements but wondering if anyone is seeing or noticing the same.  I just noticed the Pegasus 2 changes about 30 minutes ago for the record but that was the first I've played today.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Low key I wish that they would have been unable to fix the frame drops so they would have just removed the Forge maps.

White Cell is clean looking and has a halfway decent design, Pegasus is alright now I suppose, but Orion still just seems like a ton of shit smashed together without purpose—both aesthetically and in gameplay.

IMO, I would much rather have engaging limited-time playlists (including Community Forge playlists) rather than 343 continually running the "risk" of putting (bad) Forge maps into standard Arena MM

Show me a forge map worse than Overgrowth. Being a forge map means dick bumpkiss.

Um, has anyone played today? I just got Pegasus 2 and the frame issues are fixed - they also made a few subtle changes to weapon placement and jump-ups on it. I've honestly had more consistency with my aimer feeling responsive too just across the board. I haven't seen any announcements but wondering if anyone is seeing or noticing the same. I just noticed the Pegasus 2 changes about 30 minutes ago for the record but that was the first I've played today.

Black Picture went on Pegasus and Orion and stripped objects like crazy. Performance issues are still active game wide, those maps in particular though are being optimized.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Um, has anyone played today?  I just got Pegasus 2 and the frame issues are fixed - they also made a few subtle changes to weapon placement and jump-ups on it.  I've honestly had more consistency with my aimer feeling responsive too just across the board.  I haven't seen any announcements but wondering if anyone is seeing or noticing the same.  I just noticed the Pegasus 2 changes about 30 minutes ago for the record but that was the first I've played today.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Okay so despite what they've said 343 IS actually currently working on a fix for the performance issues.

No way would 343 break a promise that would end up benefiting us, that's not them.

Okay so despite what they've said 343 IS actually currently working on a fix for the performance issues.

An actual fix or modify all the maps in matchmaking to look like shit fix?

An actual fix or modify all the maps in matchmaking to look like shit fix?

My money is on the latter.

But really i dont care.  it can look like trash as long as it feels good to play.

You'd be hard pressed to find any game that is popular locally that has player counts > 2. It's really strange, because as much as people lament the removal of split screen, no one would pay to go to a tourney for H5 knowing that they will be playing on a quadrant of a monitor.

Split-screen isn't really the issue at this point.

There have been several attempts to run unsactioned halo tournaments that were hampered by the online-only nature of H5.

Nowadays, most outfits expect to have to provide each player with their own setup. It falls apart when the tournament relies on an Internet connection and 343s shitty net code.

A local server application would remedy this.

Split-screen isn't really the issue at this point.

There have been several attempts to run unsactioned halo tournaments that were hampered by the online-only nature of H5.

Nowadays, most outfits expect to have to provide each player with their own setup. It falls apart when the tournament relies on an Internet connection and 343s shitty net code.

A local server application would remedy this.

Providing 8 setups to run one match is significantly more expensive than just one setup. TO's have such an easier time running games that don't require the absolutely silly amount of hardware that a Halo tournament does, but I digress. That's not really the point of your post to begin with, more of just a general opinion I have on the state of comp FPS gaming and the hardware required to do so.