CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

also, i don't know how feasible it would be in halo, but i think it would be cool to have customizable playlists like respawn is implementing. basically it allows you to select your favorite gametypes and then the game cycle through them during matchmaking. it would be a cool way to play halo if the servers can handle it

Better yet would be the ability for people to purchase a dedi and have a continuous playlist of customs running on it at all times.

It's probably the only way I see the customs browser being better than it currently is and sufficiently satisfying the casual crowd of Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Thanks for the invite... >.>  :kappa:

Speaking of invites, why don't you ever join when I invite you?  You should join us sometime and play some big boy halo settings. 

Better yet would be the ability for people to purchase a dedi and have a continuous playlist of customs running on it at all times.

It's probably the only way I see the customs browser being better than it currently is and sufficiently satisfying the casual crowd of Halo.

Rented servers would be cool. I think they need to fix the issue of only joining running games first though.   Would be interesting to see if rented servers were any more reliable. I doubt it though. The game is already supposed to be on dedicated servers, even for customs I thought.  Even still, the servers are always trash. 

Plus white cell is unbearable with radar.

ftfy

seriously. forge maps just need to be removed from 4v4 mm.  None of the current ones are good, and they all have framerate issues.  All the big team ones have framerate issues too as do fiesta, triple team etc but those aren't exactly the most sensitive gametypes.

ftfy

seriously. forge maps just need to be removed from 4v4 mm.  None of the current ones are good, and they all have framerate issues.  All the big team ones have framerate issues too as do fiesta, triple team etc but those aren't exactly the most sensitive gametypes.

So sad that we finally have the most powerful Forge yet and there likely won't be a fix for the frame rate issues.

Dug out these tweets last night from when Tom French said it's unlikely:

Rented servers would be cool. I think they need to fix the issue of only joining running games first though. Would be interesting to see if rented servers were any more reliable. I doubt it though. The game is already supposed to be on dedicated servers, even for customs I thought. Even still, the servers are always trash.

A rented server system would probably use the exact same server solution as custom and matchmade games. Having this service wouldn't inherently make the servers more reliable. It just means that a player could pay for the right to choose the rotating list of maps and gametypes that players will see if they join his lobby.

It WOULD provide a financial incentive for 343 to fix their netcode (as if they need another reason).

I imagine that if they went this route, then the Join-in-progress aspect will be removed.

At this point I think of dedicated servers as advertising more than an actual advantage.    If i live 400 miles from the closest server, i would rather connect to a bunch of players with one being host within 100 miles, than have us all link to that dedicated server.  The main reason I see is to prevent cheating, but there are other ways around that.  The aspect of it being "more fair" is great in theory, but i don't think that it has borne out to be true in practice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At this point I think of dedicated servers as advertising more than an actual advantage. danIf i live 400 miles from the closest server, i would rather connect to a bunch of players with one being host within 100 miles, than have us all link to that dedicated server. The main reason I see is to prevent cheating, but there are other ways around that. The aspect of it being "more fair" is great in theory, but i don't think that it has borne out to be true in practice.

Dedis work great in a game with a huge population, so you can have various servers for each region, NA, Latam North, Latam South, EU, Asia, Russia , etc.

but Halo 5 has such a small population that if they make a Latham Server I would never find games because not many people play in Latinoamerica

So sad that we finally have the most powerful Forge yet and there likely won't be a fix for the frame rate issues.

Dug out these tweets last night from when Tom French said it's unlikely:

Was that an actual explanation for a problem from a 343 employee? 

Sorry, not really used to that. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yesterday I had to tell my brother that they intentionally spelled Bravo wrong. He asked, "Why?". I told him people are special over on r/Halo. He almost turned his xbox off to never forge again LOL

Dedis work great in a game with a huge population, so you can have various servers for each region, NA, Latam North, Latam South, EU, Asia, Russia , etc.

but Halo 5 has such a small population that if they make a Latham Server I would never find games because not many people play in Latinoamerica

I don't even think game population has that much to do with it.  Dedis work great if there are enough dedis, which for console games there never are.

If you have 10,000 people in your region playing but the closest server is 2500 miles away, you're gonna have a bad time regardless.  The best case scenario would be to have at least one server that is within a couple hundred miles of any players, with enough players around to always find a game within a minute or 2. Obviously this doesn't happen because no business in their right mind is going to run that many servers if they actually want to make money, and not all regions could support this.  I'm over-simplifying this a bit because it is possible to have a great connection to someone a couple thousand miles away depending on the infrastructure between the 2 points, but that is exceedingly rare and would be pretty much impossible for every player in the game to be in the same situation.

Regions where there are almost no players in proximity are fucked whether it be host-based or server-based.  It doesn't make sense for a company to put a server in that location, and if the game used player-hosts the internet quality in the area is probably not good enough to give you a reliably good experience regardless.

High-population regions should be best suited by dedicated servers provided they are in proximity to the population centers and the code behind them is solid.

I think its the "in-betweeners" that would benefit if there was a player-host based system in place.  There probably isn't a dedicated server close enough to always provide a solid experience, but there might be enough players with quality internet close enough together.

A properly coded, reliable, efficient system that used 2 zones like this would probably be the best.  The last game i know of that tried that though was MCC, and we know how that turned out....

A more kick-ass solution would be to allow community members to set up their own server like some PC games do.  Give the community the tools and it will take care of itself, but with the relatively closed system that Consoles are, this is likely never going to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Speaking of invites, why don't you ever join when I invite you? You should join us sometime and play some big boy halo settings.

:flames:
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So I've heard a few explanations from a few different 343 technicians, and this is the conclusion I've come to.

The frame rate problems Tom French is referring to in the above tweet are correct, the last update with the additional texture options definitely worsened frame rate- but only marginally. We all remember there were performance issues on forge maps that began 4 updates back, and have affected maps that previously ran perfectly. From what I've heard when Warzone Firefight launched they made tweaks to how far the game renders objects/enemies so that noticeable pop in could be avoided in those new modes, which fucked the rendering distance in forge as well. Which makes sense because 1: that's the same update that ORIGINALLY tanked performance, and 2: you can look up videos on YouTube of forge maps completely despawning when you're around 1000 meters out, and now those same maps are loaded in for another several hundred meters. More changes were made after THAT update which worsened the issue, meaning that the last 4 updates have progressively made the performance worse each time.

• Upvote (+1) 7

i dunno. i don't see anything wrong with giving these a ranking system. its fun to see where you stack up in a gametype you care about/have fun in, plus it lets those players get the season icon if they want it. i would imagine a lot of these players like having their ranking without having to play watered down team arena

I keep teasing a big post that I'm working on about the Halo ranking system, but the core message is that providing numerous ranked experiences is one of the worst things you can do.

A ranking system isn't designed around player choice or preference. Nor is it centered around giving players a skill assessment for their minority niche experience. When CSR is associated with too many modes, especially things that are less competitive, it waters down the importance and image that the ranks intend to relay to players in the first place.

When you streamline a competitive ranking system, it adds familiarity and relatablity between your players. Being able to say "I'm a Platinum Halo player" carries A LOT more weight when there is only one avenue to earn that assessment.

Plus all the additional benefits such as higher population, better skill matching, and even things like party restrictions.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I keep teasing a big post that I'm working on about the Halo ranking system, but the core message is that providing numerous ranked experiences is one of the worst things you can do.

A ranking system isn't designed around player choice or preference. Nor is it centered around giving players a skill assessment for their minority niche experience. When CSR is associated with too many modes, especially things that are less competitive, it waters down the importance and image that the ranks intend to relay to players in the first place.

When you streamline a competitive ranking system, it adds familiarity and relatablity between your players. Being able to say "I'm a Platinum Halo player" carries A LOT more weight when there is only one avenue to earn that assessment.

Plus all the additional benefits such as higher population, better skill matching, and even things like party restrictions.

i look forward to your post!

Had a control settings epiphany last night. Been playing max outer dead zone % for months because my old controller was plagued with slow turn issues. Bought a new S style a few weeks ago, and set my outer dead zone to 0% last night, of course it feels like a dream comparatively.

#aimCrisisWeBack

• Upvote (+1) 1

A more kick-ass solution would be to allow community members to set up their own server like some PC games do. Give the community the tools and it will take care of itself, but with the relatively closed system that Consoles are, this is likely never going to happen.

The Azure solution ensures that their are 'enough dedis' because their cloud spins up virtual machines to host games on demand. So the capacity problem is essentially solved, but replaced with a proximity problem.

You are right, allowing the community to run their own servers would be an awesome solution, and really, if we aren't going to have p2p functionality (a requirement for LAN), we need to be able run our own servers.

I don't even see why the closed system prevents it from happening. They could write and publish UWP app for this purpose.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did I just assume his employer?!

Did you just assume you assumed?!?

I assumed you'd assume he assumed that.

I'm just going to assume you're all patients in the same mental hospital. 

• Upvote (+1) 8