CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

CE is an exception, not the norm, because the game plays completely differently from the others. Saying that you can't 1 v 2 in "any" Halo is a completely valid statement because when the vast majority of players think of Halo, they're thinking of Halo 2 and up.

It's completely valid despite being demonstrably false? Putting "any" in quotes doesn't change that from an ignorant statement to a fact. So you can't generally 1v2 in Halo games with smaller shooting skillgaps and long perfect kill times? Shocker. What does this and what the "majority of Halo players" think of have to do with the fact that you can challenge a 2v1 in a Halo game? Seems like we're going in circles with this red herring. Not that I'm surprised.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just343Things. The community has been asking for party restrictions for over a year six years now. Just don't expect to get one.

ftfy

It's completely valid despite being demonstrably false? Putting "any" in quotes doesn't change that from an ignorant statement to a fact. So you can't generally 1v2 in Halo games with smaller shooting skillgaps and long perfect kill times? Shocker. What does this and what the "majority of Halo players" think of have to do with the fact that you can challenge a 2v1 in a Halo game? Seems like we're going in circles with this red herring. Not that I'm surprised.

The point is that one exception does not invalidate 12 years of general consensus, and that it's perfectly forgivable when someone forgets about CE when you consider that its multiplayer following was minuscule compared to Halo 2's and the rest of the series.

For example, if someone said "there's no mod support in any Halo", they'd technically be wrong because of Halo PC. However, Halo PC is an exception, not the norm. It might not be completely correct, but the mistake is forgivable because the number of people who've played Halo PC is a fragment of the Halo populace.

QuietMan is getting on cubanex's ass for a completely minor thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

The point is that one exception does not invalidate 12 years of general consensus, and that it's perfectly forgivable when someone forgets about CE when you consider that its multiplayer following was minuscule compared to Halo 2's and the rest of the series.

For example, if someone said "there's no mod support in any Halo", they'd technically be wrong because of Halo PC. However, Halo PC is an exception, not the norm. It might not be completely correct, but the mistake is forgivable because the number of people who've played Halo PC is a fragment of the Halo populace.

like I said, remember when Halo had a skill gap. You call Halo C.E. an exception, I call it exceptional.  Because of it's skill gap.  And I'm not about to let someone sit here and try to tell me I can't challenge 1v2 in C.E. with a more successful rate than any other Halo Game because I know it's a damn lie. I don't give a fuck how many people played it or know about it skill gap, it still exist and deserves recognition. And I have the right to reflect upon it with joy just as others have the right to reflect upon team chat pre-party era. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo CE is 'A' halo game though.... and it's not some spin off, it's the title that launched the franchise... it's not to be excused as some random blip on the radar... so the comment is flat out wrong...
  • Upvote (+1) 6

I don't think cubanex was trying to imply you can't 1v2 in Ce.  It probably just slipped his mind.

Y'know, more games really should be like Ce.  Or Counter-Strike.  Or so on.

At some point developers just adopted this fallacious reasoning that forced-team-reliance is equivalent to teamwork.  That your game doesn't have teamwork present unless the individual is crippled to the point of relying on their team for every single thing, and that the team should only be as strong as its weakest link. See MOBAs and to a lesser degree class-based shooters. Carrying nine weapons with their own roles was changed to being able to pick two out of nine weapons, and needing your team to pick the other seven.  Being able to find health was changed to needing someone to heal you.   Being able to take out enemies yourself was changed to needing teammates to focus fire on enemies. 

Yet even in games that allow the individual to do everything, teamwork is still beneficial to have.  You don't need teamshot, but it provides a moderate advantage.  And even if your teammates aren't aiding you in fights directly they're still blocking off routes and taking out other enemies, reducing the work you have to do yourself.  Teamwork is still an aspect of the game, it's just not a strict requirement.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I have never heard of CE getting less attention. It's always been well respected, even more-so than Halo 2 at times. It was revolutionary game back then. It set the standards for the FPS controller layout on consoles, one of the first games to have a two weapon+grenade setup, the grenade being a separate button and not a switchable weapon was even bold for its time. The on-foot+land vehicles+flying vehicles+open-world maps made for some of the most fun missions there are in gaming, then you slap all of that on a mysterious Halo ring, you got a game that people aren't going to forget. Then you add all the LAN/splitscreen multiplayer on the now iconic maps. Bungie did a lot with that game and it was pretty beloved.

God I miss the original trilogy.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I don't think cubanex was trying to imply you can't 1v2 in Ce. It probably just slipped his mind.

Y'know, more games really should be like Ce. Or Counter-Strike. Or so on.

At some point developers just adopted this fallacious reasoning that forced-team-reliance is equivalent to teamwork. That your game doesn't have teamwork present unless the individual is crippled to the point of relying on their team for every single thing, and that the team should only be as strong as its weakest link. See MOBAs and to a lesser degree class-based shooters. Carrying nine weapons with their own roles was changed to being able to pick two out of nine weapons, and needing your team to pick the other seven. Being able to find health was changed to needing someone to heal you. Being able to take out enemies yourself was changed to needing teammates to focus fire on enemies.

Yet even in games that allow the individual to do everything, teamwork is still beneficial to have. You don't need teamshot, but it provides a moderate advantage. And even if your teammates aren't aiding you in fights directly they're still blocking off routes and taking out other enemies, reducing the work you have to do yourself. Teamwork is still an aspect of the game, it's just not a strict requirement.

I don't think Halo's designers have ever given much thought to teamwork. The reason this series has been infected with random spread, substantial bullet magnetism that takes effect at any range, and needlessly slow kill times is that the core ideals of Halo have been misinterpreted--and for anyone wondering how Halo could ever have a core identity, you must accept that Halo CE is the only true reference point.

The core philosophy has been totally inverted in a way that almost makes sense on the surface, but produces contradictions at every turn. If a player started with Halo 3, the odds are that he will oppose faster kill times because they are "oppressive," "don't give you a chance to fight back," and "make it so you can kill people using no skill." The contradiction is obvious because we all [should] know that slower kill times force an oppressive emphasis on teamshooting, which takes demonstrably less combined individual skill, and don't give you a realistic chance of finishing a fight in the first place if your target is in the remote vicinity of a piece of geometry or one of his teammates.

The reason for diluted player contributions is similar. Halo CE was designed such that one player could carry his team if he were good enough: skill curve expansion. Subsequent Halo games are designed with the intent that no player could bear responsibility for losing: skill curve compression. Superficially, these concepts may seem equivalent, but the difference becomes apparent when you consider that the biggest fans of Halo CE play 2v2 (heightened individual contributions) and the biggest fans of Halo 4 and 5 (note: those least susceptible to self loathing from cognitive dissonance) play 8v8 or 12v12

• Upvote (+1) 7

Christ on a cracker this kid is good:

xboxdvr.com/Shotzzy/63ff9bd1-ec9f-45aa-93ef-e3ce1a7a26f8

I couldn't even dream of having control over H5's aim like he does. Also, he YY's after almost all nade tosses, does it make any difference in H5? Cancelling animation, lowering time needed for next input, etc.? The grenade animation already seems to not hold up anything, at least just thinking off the top of my head.

Yeah his yy is the most perfect I've seen. Always ready to shoot so quickly
  • Upvote (+1) 1

CE is quite literally the only Halo where that can happen, and the overwhelming majority of Halo players did not play it competitively in any form.

You know, complete lack of online multiplayer and all that.

I would say that more than 90% of the current halo community isn't even aware how to play CE competitively. It honestly may be closer to 95% as well. The sad truth is most people don't even know what they are missing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would say that more than 90% of the current halo community isn't even aware how to play CE competitively. It honestly may be closer to 95% as well. The sad truth is most people don't even know what they are missing.

Would you say that 5% of the current Halo community has significant experience with competitive CE lans?

I'd imagine it's much lower than even 5%. Unless maybe you'd count MCC players.

There seems to be a lot of people in other communities who like to qualify their opinion with "As a person who used to play CE" when talking about MP in H5.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Would you say that 5% of the current Halo community has significant experience with competitive CE lans?

I'd imagine it's much lower than even 5%. Unless maybe you'd count MCC players.

There seems to be a lot of people in other communities who like to qualify their opinion with "As a person who used to play CE" when talking about MP in H5.

I agree, if you are counting players who have experience at LANs it is probably less than 1% honestly. Yeah, I would guess ~5% probably have even a basic understand of how it is played. (with spawns, nades etc.)

I know what I'm missing. A dumb overpowered pistol. It shouldn't be a three shot kill. It's a sidearm. It should be weaker. Halo 2 did the pistol right. How is CE even competitive? It takes no skill to 3 shot someone so fast. Killtimes are too fast. It's basically CoD in space.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I know what I'm missing. A dumb overpowered pistol. It shouldn't be a three shot kill. It's a sidearm. It should be weaker. Halo 2 did the pistol right. How is CE even competitive? It takes no skill to 3 shot someone so fast. Killtimes are too fast. It's basically CoD in space.

wow that's so offensive to Infinite Warfare, which is actually a CoD in space and the best CoD there ever was.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

you forgot to mention that the assault rifle is utterly useless when it SHOULD be one of the best guns in the game. It's a rifle for gods sake!
  • Upvote (+1) 3

you forgot to mention that the assault rifle is utterly useless when it SHOULD be one of the best guns in the game. It's a rifle for gods sake!

Automatic weapons should always do more damage than precision weapons because they fire MORE BULLETS!! DUH!!!

-Reiku78

• Upvote (+1) 3

You had me going for about 2 horrible seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You had me going for about 2 horrible seconds.

you really need to lighten up bro

Would you like some slash with that S?

• Upvote (+1) 3

This is the fourth intentional neg i have ever given

You're 3/4 now Kels

• Upvote (+1) 3