CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In regards to that first sentence, the unpredictability is still there in the timing of its usage, as well as the direction.

However, I'm interested to see what others have to say about your second point there. My immediate reaction is that something isn't necessarily bad when it takes a lot of work to balance it, but rather something well balanced almost feels as if balancing it was effortless.

Sprint would be infinitely more tolerable if it was only sprint and not tied to slide boosting and spartan charge.

pic

Everything that the ranking system should've been and of course it's in a game that I don't play. Sigh

You're in the company. Contribute.

We need everyone to chip in.

Sorry, I've been guilty of not playing. I'm currently on an extended break because Halo was pissing me off too much.

Sprint will never be tolerable

More tolerable.

Believe me, i can only think of negatives that sprint brings and want it removed, but if thats not going to happen (which its probably not) they need to remove any of the gimmicky crap linked to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

More tolerable.

Believe me, i can only think of negatives that sprint brings and want it removed, but if thats not going to happen (which its probably not) they need to remove any of the gimmicky crap linked to it.

let's look at this mathematically.

Sprint Tolerability value is set to 0, we will call it S

Tolerability equal S multiplied based on how many elements that balance the mechanic, we call these T and x for those respectively.

So Sx=T

S * x = T

Substitute in our value for S

0 * x = T

Oh, we're multiplying by 0, so we get 0

Sprint is permanently intolerable at a value of 0, with no ability to raise in value it seems

The maths has spoken

• Upvote (+1) 3

The balancing mechanics neccesary for abilities usually detracts from the point of the ability.

Thruster relies on being unpredictable to be useful, to make it more predictable is to defeat the purpose.

I disagree with that assessment. I'm a strong believer in game design with an emphasis on pure visual feedback, where players can at a glance gain all the information they need to form a plan of attack. This provides a consistent, predictable and more skill-based environment for all players.

I call it Chesslike gameplay, where every piece on the board has an obvious function and form. Everything can be seen, and the only mystery is your opponents intent.

Examples of this in Halo include:

Shield flare when shot.

Shield pop when shields are gone.

Weapon silhouettes on player models hands/back.

Distinctive audio design. (I know, not visual, but still contributes to the design philosophy).

Green glow from OV.

Grenade throwing animation.

Etc.

So how does thruster fit into this? It contributes to the overall random feeling of Halo 5 by being completely unpredictable due to providing very minimal feedback to the player. Thruster is also, more often than it isn't, consistently rewarding to the user, even if used poorly.

By providing a visual cooldown animation, we can give players respite from the mystery factor of player intent, and allow more room for punishing poor use of the thruster. Making the game more predictable, and therefore, more skillful.

The only unpredictable factors from thruster should be if they intend to thrust and which direction they thrust.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I disagree with that assessment. I'm a strong believer in game design with an emphasis on pure visual feedback, where players can at a glance gain all the information they need to form a plan of attack. This provides a consistent, predictable and more skill-based environment for all players.

I call it Chesslike gameplay, where every piece on the board has an obvious function and form. Everything can be seen, and the only mystery is your opponents intent.

Examples of this in Halo include:

Shield flare when shot.

Shield pop when shields are gone.

Weapon silhouettes on player models hands/back.

Distinctive audio design. (I know, not visual, but still contributes to the design philosophy).

Green glow from OV.

Grenade throwing animation.

Etc.

So how does thruster fit into this? It contributes to the overall random feeling of Halo 5 by being completely unpredictable due to providing very minimal feedback to the player. Thruster is also, more often than it isn't, consistently rewarding to the user, even if used poorly.

By providing a visual cooldown animation, we can give players respite from the mystery factor of player intent, and allow more room for punishing poor use of the thruster. Making the game more predictable, and therefore, more skillful.

The only unpredictable factors from thruster should be if they intend to thrust and which direction they thrust.

I agree with what you said about visual feedback

I just don't want thruster pack in Halo anyway

I try to play other games like Overwatch, but I always come back to Halo no matter how annoying it is. I have no idea why but I can't let it go... Playing it since 2007 probably has something to do with it. Overwatch, rocket league, etc just get boring but Halo keeps popping back in no matter what. Battered wife syndrome I guess

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with what you said about visual feedback

I just don't want thruster pack in Halo anyway

I have a love/hate relationship with the mechanic.

If it functioned more like the Halo 4 version of thrusters (didn't provide a speed boost, didn't assist with jumps, and only provided an omni directional sudden momentum shift) I would welcome the mechanic with open arms. Halo 5's version just causes more harm than good in my opinion, but I don't think it's something we should completely take off the table. It has potential, much like Halo 5 as a whole.

I have a love/hate relationship with the mechanic.

If it functioned more like the Halo 4 version of thrusters (didn't provide a speed boost, didn't assist with jumps, and only provided an omni directional sudden momentum shift) I would welcome the mechanic with open arms. Halo 5's version just causes more harm than good in my opinion, but I don't think it's something we should completely take off the table. It has potential, much like Halo 5 as a whole.

H4 thruster pack assisted with a ton of jumps actually. Thrust spring jumping being one of the more notable.

H4 thruster pack assisted with a ton of jumps actually. Thrust spring jumping being one of the more notable.

I don't believe those were intentional.

Anyone who thinks this aiming is anywhere near fine needs to play on a regular TV. It is actually impossible to play and it's the stupidest thing ever.

I play on a 40" Samsung plasma. I don't notice reticule lag anymore. Unless you're complaining about the mechanics

I play on a 40" Samsung plasma. I don't notice reticule lag anymore. Unless you're complaining about the mechanics

Reticle lag is 100% still there and the horrible mechanics are obviously still horrible.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Anyone see that Halo Mega Blocks game leak? It's from 2013 and the game eventually was cancelled. I kind of find it funny because people are busting a nut about it (it seems), but it's really not surprising it was cancelled when I look at it. Lego games look 10x better than... this. 

Anyone see that Halo Mega Blocks game leak? It's from 2013 and the game eventually was cancelled. I kind of find it funny because people are busting a nut about it (it seems), but it's really not surprising it was cancelled when I look at it. Lego games look 10x better than... this.

SMH this game has the classic art style and sound effects. This shit is closer to Halo than the newest mainline releases. I also had a chuckle where he quoted Bonnie Ross saying they didn't plan to make a game like this because they didn't want to "alienate the core fanbase".
  • Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just because something lies outside your personal experience doesnt make it untrue.

Plasmas tend to have lower input lag than LCDs, especially older LCDs without true game modes.

I bought my TV specifically because of its low input lag, but it still cant compare to even an average monitor.

H5 definitely still has more input lag that Destiny or CoD, but it is definitely loads better than it was pre-patch.  When im playing on my TV i can still tell the difference between input lag when i switch from CoD or Destiny to Halo, but It feels "fine" (lag wise, not accel. curve which is still weird) on a Monitor.

whatever lag still exists must be on the edge of noticeable for me so that the extra lag on my TV compared to a monitor makes it feel worse in a way that it doesn't for other games.  This delta is of course different from person to person.  At least i can switch between games now without feeling like someone broke my thumbs, but it could still use improvement.

SMH this game has the classic art style and sound effects. This shit is closer to Halo than the newest mainline releases. I also had a chuckle where he quoted Bonnie Ross saying they didn't plan to make a game like this because they didn't want to "alienate the core fanbase".

lol bullshit of course.  They didn't make the game because its Megabloks and not Lego and wouldn't sell.  If it was Lego it would have released.

If Halo Wars and Spartan Strike/Assault don't alienate the core fanbase, a Megabloks game won't either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, the Mega Blocks game looks pretty sweet. If they had a compelling story and expanded mechanics beyond those of an FPS, it seems like it could be fun.

Was surprised to learn that it was running on Unreal Engine 3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If this game ever got announced, people would have claimed it was milking the franchise (see: Spartan Assault, Spartan Strike). But since it got cancelled and now leaked, it is apparently amazing.

Looking at it just now, it looks pretty boring.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If this game ever got announced, people would have claimed it was milking the franchise (see: Spartan Assault, Spartan Strike). But since it got cancelled and now leaked, it is apparently amazing.

Looking at it just now, it looks pretty boring.

It WOULD have been milking. But it could have been a good kids game. Getting kids interested in the IP with compelling software isn't a bad idea.

Making shitty mobile games is a bad idea.

It WOULD have been milking. But it could have been a good kids game. Getting kids interested in the IP with compelling software isn't a bad idea.

Making shitty mobile games is a bad idea.

Agreed actually

This is the kind of milking that gives great spin offs like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

• Upvote (+1) 1