CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

"Replaced Frag Grenade at Tower Three with Battle Rifle"  lol.. We appreciated your service, Frag.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just as salty as everyone else about H5 and 343, but last night instead of running competitive, my group of guys and I effed around in social, and ended up with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/5jjzav/its_possible_our_strategy_and_cover_wasnt_100/

I had totally forgotten that video games can just be fun.

Notice how that game mode has no radar. Now, what is 343's justification for removing radar in this game mode and SWAT while simultaneously keeping it in TA and every other arena mode besides Snipers? Like....what????

200.gif#4

Seriously, if 343 wanted "enhanced mobility" for Halo, they didnt need 6 different abilities

Have a really nice double jump mechanic, problem solved. No clamber, no thrust, no any other shit. A simple double jump. It would build on Halo's gameplay, and be a Simple mechanic. If we could have a double jump in Halo 6 and no other abilities, that would be a collosal leap forward from both 343 Halo and possibly "improving" the bungie formula in some degree, giving jumping its own strafe. Map scaling would be better to, it wouldnt really change much from traditional map scaling, and wouldnt remove shooting from moving.

343 put so much effort into fucking shit up when the simplest solution is so much better and more elegant.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seriously, if 343 wanted "enhanced mobility" for Halo, they didnt need 6 different abilities

Have a really nice double jump mechanic, problem solved. No clamber, no thrust, no any other shit. A simple double jump. It would build on Halo's gameplay, and be a Simple mechanic. If we could have a double jump in Halo 6 and no other abilities, that would be a collosal leap forward from both 343 Halo and possibly "improving" the bungie formula in some degree, giving jumping its own strafe. Map scaling would be better to, it wouldnt really change much from traditional map scaling, and wouldnt remove shooting from moving.

343 put so much effort into fucking shit up when the simplest solution is so much better and more elegant.

Not even a double jump is necessary to facilitate movement within the maps. Just don't give us an abysmal jump height in comparison to all the possible jumps within each map.

That might be the case, but perceived movement speed is relative to the size of the maps you play on though.. Ie, movement speed could be doubled, but if all the maps are 10x bigger, movement will still be perceived as slow. Also, I seriously doubt it actually has the fastest base movement speed if you're not sprinting.

Not to mention map layout gives players the wrong perception of movement speed. If everything is closed off by walls and corridors, they'll percieve the game as slower as it actually is. By significantly cutting off lines of sight, developers are only prolonging firefights and matches longer than they need to be.

"Hey guys, know how iconic the Overshield and Camo design are? Imagine if they were BIG FLOATING BALLS OF LIGHT THAT ABSORBED BULLETS!?"

-bungie

"Hey guys, know how unique and interesting the freezing feature of the plasma rifle is? What if we removed that?!"

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't think 343 realizes how problematic making h5 100 gigs is. When it takes up literally 1/3 of the usable space on the console, I'm not going to keep that installed when I want to have more than 3 games to play at a time.

Or maybe they do realize and that's the plan. Encourage the sale of external hard drives and the new terabyte Xbox.

And what's the need for sprint?

Can't we just have a faster base movement speed?

Or do we really need an animation which lowers our gun and makes us go faster when we click the left stick...

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm just as salty as everyone else about H5 and 343, but last night instead of running competitive, my group of guys and I effed around in social, and ended up with this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/5jjzav/its_possible_our_strategy_and_cover_wasnt_100/

I had totally forgotten that video games can just be fun.

Looks like you guys were having fun.  That's what it's all about. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Hey guys, know how unique and interesting the freezing feature of the plasma rifle is? What if we removed that?!"

"Hey guys, know how fall damage added a whole facet to level verticallity meta? What if we removed that?!"

I take back everything I said. Things like the shooting, netcode (minus servers sucking the last couple months), movement, graphics feel absolutely fantastic.  Then things like artstyle, campaign, maps, sanbox tuning, ui, social/matchmaking features are all absolute trash tier. 343 has said they will use H5 as a base for H6. Hopefully by base they mean the first 3 things I said and redo the other 6 or so things i mentioned. It's getting to a point I can't handle this fucking game and the brain dead strategy's required to be good at it. As a Halo player since age 7 it's literally depressing.

I just want to stream and make youtube vids bruh :(

• Upvote (+1) 1

I take back everything I said. Things like the shooting, netcode (minus servers sucking the last couple months), movement, graphics feel absolutely fantastic. Then things like artstyle, campaign, maps, sanbox tuning, ui, social/matchmaking features are all absolute trash tier. 343 has said they will use H5 as a base for H6. Hopefully by base they mean the first 3 things I said and redo the other 6 or so things i mentioned. It's getting to a point I can't handle this fucking game and the brain dead strategy's required to be good at it. As a Halo player since age 7 it's literally depressing.

I just want to stream and make youtube vids bruh :(

In what universe does Halo 5 have fantastic graphics. Can you name a single other AAA game this generation that looks worse than Halo 5

• Upvote (+1) 6

In what universe does Halo 5 have fantastic graphics. Can you name a single other AAA game this generation that looks worse than Halo 5

lolwut, the graphics are fine. Polygon-wise, artstyle is bad. I don't need or want photorealstic graphics in my halo. Next Halo gets to use 6TF, will be crazy.

lolwut, the graphics are fine. Polygon-wise, artstyle is bad. I don't need or want photorealstic graphics in my halo. Next Halo gets to use 6TF, will be crazy.

I'm not even talking about the art style. Even the polygon counts look crazy low next to just about every other game on my hard drive. Dog shit lighting engine.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Halo 5's graphics are egregiously bad. If you think they are good, you have sorely missed how good games can look.  

Take for instance Battlefront, or DOOM, or even Unreal that is in pre alpha.  

The jaggies are terrible, the textures are weak, the lighting is a joke.  IN NO WAY is Halo 5 visually stunning or even close to stunning. 

Games don't have to look photorealistic to look good.  Take for instance Overwatch.  Very cartoony.  But the graphics looks clean AF and the lighting and textures are top notch. 

Even on PC with higher res, there is nothing impressive with Halo 5's visual presentation.  It's pretty meh. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Halo 5's graphics are egregiously bad. If you think they are good, you have sorely missed how good games can look.  

Take for instance Battlefront, or DOOM, or even Unreal that is in pre alpha.  

The jaggies are terrible, the textures are weak, the lighting is a joke.  IN NO WAY is Halo 5 visually stunning or even close to stunning. 

Games don't have to look photorealistic to look good.  Take for instance Overwatch.  Very cartoony.  But the graphics looks clean AF and the lighting and textures are top notch. 

Even on PC with higher res, there is nothing impressive with Halo 5's visual presentation.  It's pretty meh. 

It's a shame too, because there's a lot of things going well for it.  Screenshots look so damn cool, there's a lot of environment and armor details that look great.  It's just the dynamic/lower resolution of the Xbone, combined with that absurd distance based animation frame drop that make the whole thing feel unpolished when it's in motion.

You know there have to be 343 artists who cringe when they see their work presented like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One thing I don't get about H5 is why in the holy hell it is so fucking loud and grating all the time. Seriously. I was going through some clips last night. Watch some GoW4 stuff (good sound design, respectable mix, doesn't make my ears bleed). No problem. Switch to an H5 clip and "Holy Fu—" PAUSE. It seriously sounds twice as loud as any shooting game I can think of and for NO REASON. That ear-splitting Magnum, thruster pack that sounds like a god damn jet engine taking off right next to your ear, Spartans thumping around like jackhammers covered in chainmail so they'll make more noise. Who the hell needs radar when you can hear the soothing sounds of Spartan Movement™ reverberating from an adjacent country? On the plus side, at least it isn't the unholy auditory abomination that is the H4 BR, I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Evolve, improve whatever you wanna call it. It's been 15 years since the original Halo. 

To specifically address sprint (I really don't care about the other abilities, I'm neutral) I feel it's done a lot for the game, it creates a much faster pace. Increasing base speed could've been a decent addition, but then again this is where things get too pedantic and a 'rip and replace' mentality sets in, which does no good for the game, the community or the developers.

Ultimately, the game needs to move forward and it has, it's still one of the best pure FPS' out there.

343 announced they're addressing the radar issue, let's just wait and see what they come up with... I'm just hoping they've taken on board all of the feedback from the pros and the community. 

Why is Halo 6 being mentioned right now? It won't be out for another two years? maybe longer? Nevertheless, to say Halo 6 basically needs to become a Halo 2 or 3 with added thrust ability is very unlikely and I think if people begin to 'wait' until Halo 6 comes out, a vast majority of people will be sorely disappointed.

On a side note;  are the servers fucked today or what?!

NOW is the time to push idea for Halo 6 because its already a year into development.  The further along in development you go, the less and less agile you are when it comes to making significant changes.

The "its been 15 years" argument just doesn't fly imo.  Whether or not something is a good additional/removal to a game is independent of the passage of time.  If a game is really damn good, and lots of people play it and really enjoy it, making significant changes that change the core gameplay doesn't make sense.  That was the case for halo through Halo 3, when it was the most popular.  Reach added bloom and abilities and loadouts which got significantly worse when H4 expanded on that and added cringy things like flinch, more ridiculous abilities, and weapon drops while removing descope. 

It was during the time of most significant change that the sales and player base dropped off a cliff.  If they want to get the sales and player base back, it would behoove them to roll back the gameplay too.

That "Rip and replace" mentality you refer to that "does no good for the game" is exactly what happened with reach and H4, and we see where that got us.  If we are going to do the same, it would just be to remove the crap mechanics that those games introduced.

And yes 343 addressed the radar issue except.... radar ISN'T the issue.  The fix to radar isn't to change the radar at all.  Its to remove the mechanics that were not necessary to make Halo amazing in the first place, that are now making radar necessary.

Nobody (well, most people) is saying to redo halo 2. 

Overall i am ok with some of the abilities. Keep thrust and stabilize and GP i could take or leave. Axe the rest (including sprint).

Speaking of sprint, i dont even think that sprint is an issue with no radar.  I think that sprint/thrust/slide/jump combo (is that even the order? i just do it with my fingers now and dont think about it lol) + Spartan Charge + 8 second obj respawn is the problem. You can seriously launch yourself around with that, and people do it to get around all the damn time. 

and of course @@Commonly is the problem.

I like the fact that there is more than 1 tier one weapon that is actually worth something for pretty much the first time, though the sandbox still needs more balancing for the auto's and general aim-bottiness of the weapons.

I think Warzone is a very cool addition.  I dont like it personally, but in the scheme of the game its an excellent addition.  It just needs some tweaking of the format and win conditions to make it more fun and less "farmy".

There is no need to remove the the additions that actually make sense. But many of them just dont, and the game would be better off without them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Almost as good as 343's developer updates /s.

Transparency? Actually listening to feedback and changing things? I didn't know that was possible.....

This guys gets it.

Party chat needs to fuck off and die in a fire.

In a team game everyone should be communicating AS A TEAM. The idea of a team of players split into multiple parties is just downright stupid and the voice communication issues in Halo 5 is negatively impacting the community more than anyone even realises.

• Upvote (+1) 1