CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hey, all!

:ghost:

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below! 

-Ghost

Can you comment on the aiming currently? 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Just please, for the love of God, don't repeat the same aiming mistake in Halo 6.  Just do what you did with Halo 4, and leave it the fuck alone.

• Upvote (+1) 6

JT17EDN.png

"stfu you spoiled brat"

"No hard feelings"

lol fucking end my life

This guy is just a super troll. He says the most insane shit because.....fuck it. He is is the Reiku78 of r/halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

Things I thought I would never hear for $500, Alex.

Yea, it's one of those things I took for granted. 

"Man, everything about Halo 4 is terrible!" 

Little did I know 343i could prove me wrong, and show me just how bad they could make an aiming system in a FPS. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

JT17EDN.png

"stfu you spoiled brat"

"No hard feelings"

lol fucking end my life

That has to be a troll. I don't know if I believe someone could honestly think that.  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That has to be a troll. I don't know if I believe someone could honestly think that.  :walshy:

No matter how stupid it is, someone will always believe it, like thinking 343 wouldn't disappoint us again even after halo 4 and MCC

• Upvote (+1) 2

No matter how stupid it is, someone will always believe it, like thinking 343 wouldn't disappoint us again even after halo 4 and MCC

If deaths come in threes, does that mean 343 halo will die after they release three "original" games?

Time for my daily AM multi-quote:

100% agree on dynamic resolution being alright in theory, but probably something that wasn't planned from the beginning (because why would it be?), and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that a lot of things prior to its implementation were tied to a resolution, which results in a lot of moving parts dependent on static values that now needs to, as you said, handle a range.

Also, I hadn't thought about the instant on causing bigger issues, but my friends and I often find ourselves doing hard resets, used to do it all the time with MCC. Might start doing a hard reset prior to every play session just to see.

Yeah, i am not a fan of dynamic resolution period.  I get that technologically its "cool" but i would rather just see it get locked at the highest resolution they can get away with and be done with it. Complex =/= better.

I might do the same thing.  During MCC i turned the Instant-on feature off and it seemed to help but that game was such a hot mess it could have been placebo.  I don't know how the instant on feature works (storing in a swap file then restoring to memory later or just holding in memory the whole time) but considering that coming back from sleep states on windows machines has historically resulted in a less-stable machine (though windows 10 is better at this) its probably best practice to do full reboots occasionally anyway.

Have you played H5:Forge on windows at all?  If you have, whats your take on the aiming there?  I have played it a bit and the mouse aiming is janky af.  choosing "raw input" does not feel like raw input at all.  It "feels" (again, total guess here) like the game is trying to take the mouse movements and emulate a controller with them then pushing it to the screen.  I loaded up CS and just ran around in there for a bit and its like night and day.  CS is crisp and does exactly what you expect it to do with no delay while H5 PC feels like you are trying to look around with a neck brace on while swimming in pudding.

When I think Social Skirmish I think Halo 3's where it's just straight Objective games. Played a few slayers on Orion in that playlist, and now I will never touch it again.

I wouldn't mind getting a slayer game maybe 25% of the time at most, but I just went though my last 50 Team Skirmish games and i played slayer 27 times. Over 50% of the games have been slayer!! wtf?

Specifically, how about that "So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5." line. We've literally all been complaining about this since a few weeks post launch launch day.

FTFY

• Upvote (+1) 1

- GhostAyame's H5 Long Range Beta Controller -

On that note as well, can someone show me beta clips where someone is attempting to fire long range and it's clearly "flat out squirrely"?

Since most of my time in this thread deals with speculation, I'd like to throw another out there.  Beta was possibly overly forgiving with aim assist/magnetism, etc., possibly at H4 or better levels, and 343 wanted to try and build a system that wasn't as assist heavy in the traditional sense, but attempted to get fancy with it's stick input interpretation in order to give us "More Control" or something, and we ended up with the 1.0 aiming, and this post from Ghost was a PR spin.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Do I play Forge

2. Aim was noticed launch day

1.  Yeah, I played it for a few weeks at launch, and occasionally hop back in.  I tried M+KB, because master race, which I've had plenty of experience with over the years, including but not limited to Q3, UT2k3, CS1.5+, H:CE, etc.  However, my first problem was even with my Belkin N52, and my Logitech G500, I could not find a key/button setup that felt as natural as my H5 controller setup.  Granted, I didn't give it a ton of time, but to try and play H5 and not immediately have my sprint/thrust/slides, jumps, ground pound/stabilize repertoire made the game feel like total shit.  On top of all that, I knew that something was off with the mouse aim, but I haven't been heavy into the PC FPS for years, so I chalked it up to rustiness.

It wasn't until I decided to plug my controller in did I realize how bad everything was in the M+KB world.  I had been playing with a couple of guys who were fairly veteran gamers, all had some PC FPS and older Halo experience, but were just getting into H5.  With M+KB, despite having 10 solid months of H5 play under my belt, I was just keeping ahead of them.  Once I was using my controller, it was no contest.  4 man FFAs where I'd 25-4 to their 10-10 or worse.  Even in games where the mouse play should dominate, like snipers, it was still falling greatly in my favor.  I realized immediately that not only were they handicapped using the M+KB, but that the controller play on the PC was far better than on the Bone.

2.  I was in limbo and swapping apartments at launch, so my first two weeks of play was on shit-tier Internet out in the boonies at my parent's place, so I just assumed my issues were connectivity related at that point.  I also had a sens crisis like no other for the first two months following launch, and following every aim update since, so I didn't immediately jump on the "the aiming is garbage" bandwagon, I had to be really really certain is wasn't just me being a scrub.

On that note as well, can someone show me beta clips where someone is attempting to fire long range and it's clearly "flat out squirrely"?

Since most of my time in this thread deals with speculation, I'd like to throw another out there.  Beta was possibly overly forgiving with aim assist/magnetism, etc., possibly at H4 or better levels, and 343 wanted to try and build a system that wasn't as assist heavy in the traditional sense, but attempted to get fancy with it's stick input interpretation in order to give us "More Control" or something, and we ended up with the 1.0 aiming, and this post from Ghost was a PR spin.

If anything, it was the beta which had decreased auto aim and magnetism, and was one of the few things that had us feeling optimistic at that period.

In fact, I'm convinced that's the only reason some people feel that Halo 5's aiming issues were due to less auto-aim; it was a hold-over thought from the beta. The plain game has fairly strong auto aim and incredibly strong magnetism.

Why 343 decided to mess with the aiming will be one of those mysteries I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If anything, it was the beta which had decreased auto aim and magnetism, and was one of the few things that had us feeling optimistic at that period.

In fact, I'm convinced that's the only reason some people feel that Halo 5's aiming issues were due to less auto-aim; it was a hold-over thought from the beta. The plain game has fairly strong auto aim and incredibly strong magnetism.

Why 343 decided to mess with the aiming will be one of those mysteries I guess.

I suppose that could be the case, I always just tend to err on the side of caution, and trying to not be arrogant when I know I don't have god aim.  I know it's been said a thousand times, but if the release version aim has MORE assistance than the beta, and yet we all seemed to be aiming better in the beta (which, if what you're saying is true, it was objectively a more difficult mechanic), it speaks volumes as to how much the aim was broken for release.

Edit: Emphasis should be 'MORE', not 'LESS', as the beta had less per this discussion

Here's an article 343's management should fucking read. It's about Peter Molyneux and L I E S.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/13/peter-molyneux-interview-godus-reputation-kickstarter/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

2 years ago today Bonnie promised to repair the open wound that is MCC, and it STILL ISN'T FIXED, despite that.

A lot of stuff I read in that article. I just need a little clarification on the background info regarding what this person was doing wrong before this interview. Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A lot of stuff I read in that article. I just need a little clarification on the background info regarding what this person was doing wrong before this interview. Thanks.

There's a lot. Firstly, Peter Molyneux was the guy behind the Fable games. He later started a mobile games studio called 22 Cans and they did that game where it's this huge cube that everyone chips away at, and whoever reaches the center will get a "life changing" reward. He also made a game called Godus which is like an RTS/Sims style game for phones. Basically, Molyneux's schtick is that he constantly overpromises or outright lies about features that will be in his games.

The guy that got to the center of the cube got shafted by 22Cans, this article explains it in a way I won't be able to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why in the hell would anyone ever pre order a 343 game?

No... Why are they STILL preordering 343 games? That's the real question.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's a lot. Firstly, Peter Molyneux was the guy behind the Fable games. He later started a mobile games studio called 22 Cans and they did that game where it's this huge cube that everyone chips away at, and whoever reaches the center will get a "life changing" reward. He also made a game called Godus which is like an RTS/Sims style game for phones. Basically, Molyneux's schtick is that he constantly overpromises or outright lies about features that will be in his games.

The guy that got to the center of the cube got shafted by 22Cans, this article explains it in a way I won't be able to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

That's such trash. I felt as though no one could be as despicable and incompetent as 343, but Peter is certainly contending for such an accolade.