CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo Ce port for PC is plagued with horrendous netcode (you've never seen anything so bad trust me) and everyone in-game is Mexican.

Most of the servers are Rockets / Zombies / other nonsense.

That said, it does surprisingly have a playerbase of around 800 people.

Always been odd to me that Halo PC has that many while Quake Live, UT4, Reflex, etc. are lucky to have 100.

Halo Online (the russian h3 thing) isn't very popular.

No idea what H2V is like these days.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Unyshrek -"Ground Pound Arena in Action Sack has been updated to have Plasma Pistol & Brute Plasma Rifle starts. That means no more Snipers. Enjoy!" - 157 upvotes

I seriously miss classic breakout. Who's with me? - 71 upvotes

When are we getting a Official FOV slider and Mouse Fix? (H5:FORGE) - 32 upvotes

Can someone please tell me why the hell this franchise has always had such a garbage community?

Why is it that any important issue with this game is ignored, meanwhile all the Halo fanboys can't wait to upvote the latest Killionaire on Bronze players in Fiesta?

This community honestly deserves a shitty buggy dying game.

According to Reddit right now, Breakout - the worst game mode in FPS history, is more important to the community than fixing mouse issues in H5 PC.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Unyshrek -"Ground Pound Arena in Action Sack has been updated to have Plasma Pistol & Brute Plasma Rifle starts. That means no more Snipers. Enjoy!" - 157 upvotes

I seriously miss classic breakout. Who's with me? - 71 upvotes

When are we getting a Official FOV slider and Mouse Fix? (H5:FORGE) - 32 upvotes

Can someone please tell me why the hell this franchise has always had such a garbage community?

Why is it that any important issue with this game is ignored, meanwhile all the Halo fanboys can't wait to upvote the latest Killionaire on Bronze players in Fiesta?

This community honestly deserves a shitty buggy dying game.

According to Reddit right now, Breakout - the worst game mode in FPS history, is more important to the community than fixing mouse issues in H5 PC.

r/halo is filled with casuals, more at 11.

Well, finally got to try out the updated aiming. Can someone please tell me what the flying fuck did they fix again? Core aiming in this game is still its usual hot garbage self. Don't know why I even bother anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

are there serious Halo PC communities?  My impression was that H1 and H2 ports were pretty bad, and then the Russian H3 Halo Online thing hasn't seemed too popular, but maybe I'm just out of the loop ...

They were quite bad. However, certain modders have worked tirelessly and payed out of pocket to fix up high quality competitive servers. You do, however, have to know where to find them:

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/11775-current-state-of-halo-pc-the-xbox-experience/page-1

Stuntman's GMYF servers are high quality CE 2v2 servers meant to emulate Xbox gameplay. The link contains everything you need to play, along with the discord channel. 

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/13305-halo-2-vista-multiplayer-back-online-fixed-project-cartographer/

The official H2V master server has been long dead, but Permanull has a mod that gets around this aspect. He also has a few dedis online and you can easily create a personal MLG listen server. I haven't played in a while (due to conflicts with my personal modifications to the game), but I know several users here have a great deal of fun with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloOnline/

This game is far from dead. It has a wide variety of servers, and if I'm not mistaken, usually has a dedicated MLG server up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, finally got to try out the updated aiming. Can someone please tell me what the flying fuck did they fix again? Core aiming in this game is still its usual hot garbage self. Don't know why I even bother anymore.

Reduced controller input latency.

It was inconsistent garbage and now it's consistent garbage. :simms: 

• Upvote (+1) 8

r/halo is filled with casuals, more at 11.

Yes, I get this, but don't casuals like having the ability to aim as well?

Don't they understand that core mechanics like fucking AIMING of all things is kinda more important than some shitty 10 second clip of Spar7anA55assin117 getting an overkill with a sword in Infection?

You don't need to be HCS champion to understand the core mechanics of the game are pretty damn important.

Reduced controller input latency.

Apparently from 300ms to 280ms... I honestly didn't notice an improvement at all. In fact, jumped into a game and couldn't find any sensitivity that feels comfortable at all now. To be fair maybe it's just because I've barely touched the game lately and I'm not used to it, but it felt worse than I remembered.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, I get this, but don't casuals like having the ability to aim as well?

Don't they understand that core mechanics like fucking AIMING of all things is kinda more important than some shitty 10 second clip of Spar7anA55assin117 getting an overkill with a sword in Infection?

You don't need to be HCS champion to understand the core mechanics of the game are pretty damn important.

Apparently from 300ms to 280ms... I honestly didn't notice an improvement at all. In fact, jumped into a game and couldn't find any sensitivity that feels comfortable at all now. To be fair maybe it's just because I've barely touched the game lately and I'm not used to it, but it felt worse than I remembered.

I've played on a couple alts before, and I swear, below Plat, no one uses the magnum or BR etc etc. its all Automatics, they'll never notice the piss poor aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So, still unsure if this seems widespread or Ive joined the ranks of "this is now a problem for me". The last update definitely has brought more consistent lag, or perhaps it was there before but "covered up" better. The following clip has it all, a sniper shot that should have registered, a clamber that just cancels at the end and causes me to fall off the map, and a first for me in Halo 5:

BR shot refunding.

Thanks H2A, thought we were done with this.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AutomatousBeing/video/24698085

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, still unsure if this seems widespread or Ive joined the ranks of "this is now a problem for me". The last update definitely has brought more consistent lag, or perhaps it was there before but "covered up" better. The following clip has it all, a sniper shot that should have registered, a clamber that just cancels at the end and causes me to fall off the map, and a first for me in Halo 5:

BR shot refunding.

Thanks H2A, thought we were done with this.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AutomatousBeing/video/24698085

That sucks.

Idk wtf is going on but pretty much everything has been better since the last update (for me). Havent gotten bad framerate drops in Orion and Pegasus in the last couple days either. Aiming is definitely better and consistent between games which is really the most important thing for me. Its still not great but i can switch straight from destiny to halo without losing my fucking mind anymore.

The thing is, im not saying this because i dont believe people that still have problems. Im more demonstrating that peoples experiences vary wildly and i dont know why.

Back with halo 3 people bitched about the hit detection and aiming. Some people liked it too, but the actual EXPERIENCE was consistent. Whether or not people liked it was a matter of preference and opinion rather than mechanics.

With halo 5 it seems like not only do people have a variance of opinion, but they also have variance of the actual physical experience with the game.

Im just spitballing here, but i think 1) how long it takes to fix bugs 2) how big the install size is and 3) 343s extreme resistance to common sense balance changes point to an innefficient and difficult to work with engine. Lots of variables that are hard to isolate and can change peoples experiences.

This is admittedly a total guess based on my support and QA experience with non-gaming software but it feels like a logical leap, so take that for what you will.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That sucks.

Idk wtf is going on but pretty much everything has been better since the last update (for me). Havent gotten bad framerate drops in Orion and Pegasus in the last couple days either. Aiming is definitely better and consistent between games which is really the most important thing for me. Its still not great but i can switch straight from destiny to halo without losing my fucking mind anymore.

The thing is, im not saying this because i dont believe people that still have problems. Im more demonstrating that peoples experiences vary wildly and i dont know why.

Back with halo 3 people bitched about the hit detection and aiming. Some people liked it too, but the actual EXPERIENCE was consistent. Whether or not people liked it was a matter of preference and opinion rather than mechanics.

With halo 5 it seems like not only do people have a variance of opinion, but they also have variance of the actual physical experience with the game.

Im just spitballing here, but i think 1) how long it takes to fix bugs 2) how big the install size is and 3) 343s extreme resistance to common sense balance changes point to an innefficient and difficult to work with engine. Lots of variables that are hard to isolate and can change peoples experiences.

This is admittedly a total guess based on my support and QA experience with non-gaming software but it feels like a logical leap, so take that for what you will.

I hear you, professional developer here as well, so I have my own set of theories. Gonna be pretty anecdotal from here on out, but I've had plenty of time to stew about all this.

Also, you may know all this Apollo, but I'd at least like to see the conversation hashed out further.

I definitely think there's merit to the dynamic resolution theory, and that it has some effect on input handling, and perhaps hit boxes. I also think there is a syncing issue with what you see in terms of player geometry, player hit boxes, and its effect on hit registration and aim assist. In a perfect world the hit box lays right on the geometry, and the aim assist is using that model for its calculations, so it truly aids your aiming and you don't notice it.

In a high latency situation like being online, lag compensation can't treat everything the same, and hit boxes are often adjusted, and hit registration has to take client to server latency into consideration and decide whether a shot was legitimate from the perspective of the shooters game state, while not looking legit from the victims perspective. That's why you get hit around walls, this is all super well documented on various YouTube videos and it's how generally all online FPS work.

I think Halo 5 has core issues that cause the hit boxes that are used for lag compensation with hit registration, as well as aim assist get out of sync. I've had plenty of instances in Halo 5 where my aim will make a completely incorrect, albeit smooth adjustment when trying to target acquire, similar to what happens when two enemies are close and the aim assist fights, but in the situation where's it's a single player. The only thing I can think of is a bug in aim assist modeling. This has also been the case with multiple controllers, and I've never experienced this in any other Halo.

Also, I do just about everything I can do gain a competitive advantage. I play on wired internet that's consistently 150 down, 25 up, with ~80ms latency on the Xbox test. I play with an MLG benq monitor, and always play with my controller plugged in with no batteries in hope that it won't switch to a wireless mode if the wire loses connection.

Given all that, another theory I've had is that not all Xbox Ones are created equal. I make sure nothing is blocking the vents on my console (which I've seen overheating will cause frame rate drops in H5), and I totally have the forge slowdown, while like you said, not everyone experiences this. However I'm one of those people who also plays H5:Forge and has experienced the game play like an absolute dream. I'd love to see extensive testing down on the games performance across Xbox One system releases. For what it's worth, I have a white console from the Sunset Overdrive bundle.

Like I said, plenty of anecdotal opinions, and I could ramble on about other theories for hours, but I'm curious what others have thought about all of this.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's now consistent hot garbage. It used to sometimes be hot garbage, and other times it was molten garbage baking in a vomit dumpster under twin suns on a July afternoon.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ever realize that every Halo has something people complain about?

So? Literally anything out there has something people complain about.

I'm pretty stoked that we have a snipers playlist, but is anyone else disappointed with the maps that were chosen for it?

I just nope out of that playlist any time I have to play Boulevard, Pegasus, or Guillotine. And I get those a lot. I just want snipers on normal maps. :(

Some guy on r/halo things it would be a good idea for the Halo 4 Boltshot to return as a REQ variant. 

Just.. no. Why would anyone ever want that over powered BS to ever return is beyond me. THIS IS WHY HALO IS LIKE THIS.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah I'm just dashboarding every time I get strongholds on empire from now on. Absolute fucking garbage. I've played crazy king multi team games in halo 3 that were more organized than that trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Some guy on r/halo things it would be a good idea for the Halo 4 Boltshot to return as a REQ variant. 

Just.. no. Why would anyone ever want that over powered BS to ever return is beyond me. THIS IS WHY HALO IS LIKE THIS.

I don't really see a problem. In fact, I'd love to see the H4 Boltshot in Halo 5.

The problem wasn't that it was overpowered, the problem was that it was a loadout weapon.

It'd be a pretty great tier 2 weapon in the sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Absolutely no problem with it being a legendary variant in Warzone.
  • Upvote (+1) 1