CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Nope.

I'm building a PC next month and was wondering the same thing.  

Does anyone know how the H5 PC customs scene is?  Are there good lobbies etc?

I can't bear to ever listen to Halo 4's OST ever again. That wailing lady in the main menu is psychological torture.

lol, thats the only part that I like.

Why is this even a video? Honestly, this is incredibly click-baity, and his target audience is Bronze-Plat players. They would get absolutely destroyed in any game, it doesn't matter who they play.

Also, there's a comment thread going on about how Halo takes more skill than CS  :wutface:

It's as if lower level players don't realize the differences between game play and the different skills required to succeed. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnSVw0YcSU4&t=368s

Why is this even a video? Honestly, this is incredibly click-baity, and his target audience is Bronze-Plat players. They would get absolutely destroyed in any game, it doesn't matter who they play.

Also, there's a comment thread going on about how Halo takes more skill than CS :wutface:

It's as if lower level players don't realize the differences between game play and the different skills required to succeed.

https://youtu.be/pLiMc1YwIy8 There was also a video like this in regards to Battlefield. LTN is ridiculously stupid in that vid, and I'll explain why soon.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Titanfall 1 had 35 gb of uncompressed wave files alone. This industry is just going crazy at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe developers should allow people to download all of these uncompressed assets as optional DLC packs or something. Look, guys. I know you have more space on discs and whatnot and lossless audio is cool, but most people playing games through their shitty TV speakers are not going to be able to tell the fucking difference, aside from the crazily bloated install sizes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

[Halo Players are Better.vid]

Also, there's a comment thread going on about how Halo takes more skill than CS  :wutface:

I'm reluctant to watch anything he's made after seeing this video.

The premise of the Halo vs CoD video isn't wrong I guess...still wondering why it needed made.

Splitting hairs anyways since compared to early console FPS or PC FPS they're still both pretty lacking.

*Casually browses comment section.*

"Halo is the best game we would wipe the floor with PC players."

Dude youtube comments legitimately piss me the fuck off.

Oh...I found the CSGO chain....smh...

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's pretty small. I would be in no rush to build a PC. Besides if you do, there are better communities out there.

I urge anyone with a little free time to try out Brute Plasma Rifle Slayer on Hang Em' High (or any map with super long sightlines.) Weapons on map off. SAs can be whatever, BMS can be whatever, strafe can be whatever, it will still be good.

Hosted it the other day and was honestly surprised how good it was. Controlling the fast overheating adds this great dynamic to gunfights once both player's shields are out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know how the H5 PC customs scene is? Are there good lobbies etc?

its trash right now. All the legit PC gamers wont touch it because the mouse responsiveness is trash.

I loaded up CS Source the other day to compare and its amazing how bad halo KBM is.

its trash right now. All the legit PC gamers wont touch it because the mouse responsiveness is trash.

I loaded up CS Source the other day to compare and its amazing how bad halo KBM is.

Sigh ... are there controller custom lobbies at least? Did any of the XB1 crowd transfer over at all? This honestly might delay my building a PC for a while lol

Lmao on Reddit Ske7ch said theres no incoming fix for PC aiming

What the fuck is up with 343 and aiming, if you told me before Halo 5 came out that Aiming would be one of the biggest nuisances I would have laughed in your face

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sigh ... are there controller custom lobbies at least? Did any of the XB1 crowd transfer over at all? This honestly might delay my building a PC for a while lol

Dude, there is absolutely zero point. FoV sucks, frame rate sucks, performance sucks, mouse aiming sucks, community sucks, no match making, no war zone, no campaign...

There is literally ZERO reason to buy a PC for Halo.

If you want to buy a PC to join the master race than go for it, but I'd suggest CS, Rainbow Six Siege, LoL, DotA, Unreal Tournament, Quake Live, etc, etc, etc, before you even think about touching Halo on PC.

There's barely any lobbies and half the lobbies are just people fucking around in race, etc. I think I saw a single 4v4 lobby going...

If you're not desperate for a PC might be worth checking out AMD's competitors to the 1070/1080. The RX 480 is doing VERY well against the GTX 1060 right now which is making me regret my purchase so you might wanna wait for the benchmarks before you make your decision to go red team or green team.

Funny how Skyrim: SE can contain all of its DLC on top of the base game using only 16 gigs. Are humongous install sizes seriously the norm for next gen games?

Titanfall 1 had 35 gb of uncompressed wave files alone. This industry is just going crazy at this point.

Maybe developers should allow people to download all of these uncompressed assets as optional DLC packs or something. Look, guys. I know you have more space on discs and whatnot and lossless audio is cool, but most people playing games through their shitty TV speakers are not going to be able to tell the fucking difference, aside from the crazily bloated install sizes.

This, this and this. It's fucking stupid. It's like all these games are being shipped with 4K textures when most gamers are still using fucking 1080P monitors and even if they have 4K monitors their PC's aren't even capable of running them with textures that high.

4K textures should always be a free DLC pack.

As for uncompressed audio... WHY?! Literally no one is plugging their Xbox into a set of $10,000 studio monitors. Hell, most people are using their fucking LCD built in speakers.

Developers are just getting lazy. Game developers used to be forced to compress their games intelligently in order to fit as much as possible on a disc.

You had amazing games that were able to fit on a few bloody 1.44MB floppy disks and now the developers are just like "nah fuck it, they can just download the additional content they require" - Never mind the fact that in some parts of the world downloading that additional 10+GB of content might take a full fucking day. They can't even be bothered throwing in an extra disc for those of us that don't have fibre optic cables running directly to our Xbox.

Nothing makes me feel better than popping in my newest game, waiting for an install screen, counting down the seconds for it to hit 100% only to realise it's going to be another 14 hours until I can play because some dick head decided that paying the extra 5c for a second disc in the box was too much effort.

Lmao on Reddit Ske7ch said theres no incoming fix for PC aiming

What the fuck is up with 343 and aiming, if you told me before Halo 5 came out that Aiming would be one of the biggest nuisances I would have laughed in your face

I honestly don't know how the developers of 343 were put in charge of such an important gaming IP. It blows my mind. Every time I'm convinced I couldn't see anything more ridiculous from 343 they prove me wrong. Microsoft should give the Halo rights to ID or Epic or something and 343 can make indie games or mobile games or something.

Every now and then there's a glimpse of hope for Halo 6, for example, Halo 5 Forge is pretty awesome now and a lot of the game modes that should have been in from launch are finally here so maybe Halo 6 will have a better launch...

And then they go and do something like fuck up aiming on a mouse and I lose all hope again.

• Upvote (+1) 8

343: launches game with incredible consistent performance, almost impossible to make a forge map with frame drops

*releases 3 updates that progressively tank game performance*

"Sorry guys we don't have the time or manpower to fix the frame drops in Halo 5's lifespan"

Ok guys

You all should know by now that they are focusing on H6 and there's the three guys working on fixing H5 just like they did MCC.

There are enough to play right now and lobbies are mixed. Controller controls are great though so if you want to have the opportunity to destroy kids that are using kbm now is the time lol.

Dude, there is absolutely zero point. FoV sucks, frame rate sucks, performance sucks, mouse aiming sucks, community sucks, no match making, no war zone, no campaign...

There is literally ZERO reason to buy a PC for Halo.

If you want to buy a PC to join the master race than go for it, but I'd suggest CS, Rainbow Six Siege, LoL, DotA, Unreal Tournament, Quake Live, etc, etc, etc, before you even think about touching Halo on PC.

To be fair to other releases, any "Halo on PC" that isn't Halo 5 can already run on toasters, and they have shit tons of content relative to this new release. 

There's barely any lobbies and half the lobbies are just people fucking around in race, etc. I think I saw a single 4v4 lobby going...

Called it. Where's my medal?

This, this and this. It's fucking stupid. It's like all these games are being shipped with 4K textures when most gamers are still using fucking 1080P monitors and even if they have 4K monitors there PC's aren't even capable of running them with textures that high.

4K textures should always be a free DLC pack.

As for uncompressed audio... WHY?! Literally no one is plugging their Xbox into a set of $10,000 studio monitors. Hell, most people are using their fucking LCD built in speakers.

Developers are just getting lazy. Game developers used to be forced to compress their games intelligently in order to fit as much as possible on a disc.

You had amazing games that were able to fit on a few bloody 1.44MB floppy disks and now the developers are just like "nah fuck it, they can just download the additional content they require" - Never mind the fact that in some parts of the world downloading that additional 10+GB of content might take a full fucking day. They can't even be bothered throwing in an extra disc for those of us that don't have fibre optic cables running directly to our Xbox.

Nothing makes me feel better than popping in my newest game, waiting for an install screen, counting down the seconds for it to hit 100% only to realise it's going to be another 14 hours until I can play because some dick head decided that paying the extra 5c for a second disc in the box was too much effort.

From what I've seen, there have always been "lazy" developers. The real issue is that they've always had some kind of bleeding edge physical storage medium to enable them, whereas now we are relying more and more on digital storage in an age where most ISP's are still shit and games are growing with almost no regard to this shift in storage.

I'm also not excusing not using easy storage saves like culling international audio, compressing audio, ect. But game sizes do not scale perfectly. Despite processing speeds, Internet speeds, storage, ect. all increasing at a rate perhaps at least relative to each other, the actual building and maintenance of games by people is not. If given the source, I could probably read the whole source code of a game only a few MB big, get a general understanding of it, and at least attempt to optimize it. I couldn't do that with an 8 GB game unless the source was well organized and documented. This is becoming more and more difficult as games increase in size, where even if your code is stellarly organized, bug fixing can still be quite difficult if a bug is being caused by some obscure or nuanced interaction between huge chains of code.

That being said though, the current size and problems of Halo 5 are still beyond excusing. Most of the space H5 takes up is, as you noted, extremely "high quality" assets (whether that be textures, sounds, ect.) that serve almost no purpose, and I've had my suspicions that the constant and unfixed issues with aiming and performance are ultimately linked to very low-level engine issues, although that's really just a shot in the dark from a guy unfamiliar with this iteration of the engine, so...

I honestly don't know how the developers of 343 were put in charge of such an important gaming IP. It blows my mind. Every time I'm convinced I couldn't see anything more ridiculous from 343 they prove me wrong. Microsoft should give the Halo rights to ID or Epic or something and 343 can make indie games or mobile games or something.

Every now and then there's a glimpse of hope for Halo 6, for example, Halo 5 Forge is pretty awesome now and a lot of the game modes that should have been in from launch are finally here so maybe Halo 6 will have a better launch...

And then they go and do something like fuck up aiming on a mouse and I lose all hope again.

343 is, at best, just a proxy for Microsoft. And like Microsoft, 343 is incredibly good at making a lot of great things, mixing it with a lot of bad things, and then making you question what the actual fuck is going on at the company.

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair to other releases, any "Halo on PC" that isn't Halo 5 can already run on toasters, and they have shit tons of content relative to this new release. 

are there serious Halo PC communities?  My impression was that H1 and H2 ports were pretty bad, and then the Russian H3 Halo Online thing hasn't seemed too popular, but maybe I'm just out of the loop ...