CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I thought the same exact thing when he mentioned Halo 4 at 8 gigs.

Makes me wonder why it's so ridiculously big.

Probably because of all the uncompressed pew pew pew sounds.

I can get behind smaller changes like removing sprint/radar, limiting AR ammo off spawn or removing the AR as a spawn weapon completely. I don't think promoting lazy strafe, removing thrust, and making the jumps super high/floaty makes the game any more competitive than it already is.

My main problem with the Evolve settings is that the settings try to force the game into something it isn't. The options are too limited and the settings just don't end up feeling good to me. I disagree with throwing the baby out with the bathwater; as much as everyone loves to meme about it, not everything new in H5 is broken or uncompetitive.

Idk what you mean by lazy strafe and the jumping is in line with past Halo games lol. H5 just has piss poor height because they want you to clamber.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I can get behind smaller changes like removing sprint/radar, limiting AR ammo off spawn or removing the AR as a spawn weapon completely. I don't think promoting lazy strafe, removing thrust, and making the jumps super high/floaty makes the game any more competitive than it already is.

Yeah. Evolved removed the idiotic gimmicks. "Lazy strafe" means actually having a strafe? The jumps aren't "floaty," because gravity is increased (meaning hang time is roughly the same as default). Jump height was increased to compensate for turning off the utterly pointless clamber. Thrust was a point of contention solely because every single weapon in the game is excessively easy to use, to the point that we can't even make a strafe good enough to compensate. Not having yet another pointless button that you have to press in most fights and can use to get out of jail free is still a plus, though. Anything else?

Probably because of all the uncompressed pew pew pew sounds.

It's like the audio team only watched Michael Bay's Transformers movies during the entirett of H5's development. Seriously, 343 could have saved literal TONS of money just keeping all the old sounds. Just another part of their dumb fucking need to "forge their own identity". At this point, I think they've Totall Recalled all the management into thinking it was themselves who relased CE back in 2001.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah. Evolved removed the idiotic gimmicks. "Lazy strafe" means actually having a strafe? The jumps aren't "floaty," because gravity is increased (meaning hang time is roughly the same as default). Jump height was increased to compensate for turning off the utterly pointless clamber. Thrust was a point of contention solely because every single weapon in the game is excessively easy to use, to the point that we can't even make a strafe good enough to compensate. Not having yet another pointless button that you have to press in most fights and can use to get out of jail free is still a plus, though. Anything else?

I have yet to play Evo settings. Eager to, but just never got the chance.

Listen to this. Just close your eyes and listen. This is what Halo used to be, and this is everything 343 has tossed aside to make room for their "creative vision".

Thanks, you got me listening to a ton of old Halo music on YouTube again. Makes me sad, 343 Halo soundtracks feel so generic. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks, you got me listening to a ton of old Halo music on YouTube again. Makes me sad, 343 Halo soundtracks feel so generic.

The Trials is the worst rendition of the Halo theme so far. If H5's soundtrack wasn't for H5, but another game, I might have actually liked listening to it, but for now it reminds me too much of the awful campaign and MP suite at launch. I usually play with the music turned off and either old Halo OSTs, the Doom OST, or Killzone Shadow Fall's music blaring instead.

(Or Kraftwerk but that's when I'm feeling frisky)

I'm sure all of the shit they resused over and over again in their maps counts as "unique assets" as well. Oh, you thought that was the same pipe? THINK AGAIN.

Yeahhhhh. Warzone kills me with that even more so than Arena. 

I'm terrified for Halo 6's final install size in 2018.

• Upvote (+1) 2

All of it is REQs. It sure as hell aint the maps. They use the same assests in all of them. Finally over this game. Can just not play and it and feel like I have too. Been playing Skyrim SE and Rainbow 6 Siege. Will probably play regu,larly again when I can get my hands on CQB etc.

Relevant to Theme discussion

Yea, Im still getting heavy servers :(

at first i never got them anymore but now its pretty noticeable and not fun

I'm sure all of the shit they resused over and over again in their maps counts as "unique assets" as well. Oh, you thought that was the same pipe? THINK AGAIN.

lol, what bullshit.

The game has no business being almost 100 fucking gigabytes, especially on a console where space is extremely limited. PC games that can play at 4K rarely even come HALF of that size.

Anyway, I just jumped on Halo 5 on Xbox One to check out the aiming update and I have no idea WTF anyone is talking about.

The aiming doesn't feel better at all. It feels just as shitty as it always has.

Fired up H1 in MCC just to double check I'm not going insane and the difference is night and day. Has anyone done any testing for input latency with Halo 5? I wish I could, I don't have the equipment.

Here's a test from DisplayLag.com which shows a bunch of different games:

http://www.displaylag.com/console-latency-exploring-video-game-input-lag/

Some interesting things to note:

(NOTE: These results are an average of ten button presses, and they include display latency. You can subtract 10ms from these results to get an idea of true game latency:)

Halo 1: Master Chief Collection - 84ms

Halo 2: Master Chief Collection - 84ms

Halo 3: Master Chief Collection - 106ms

Halo 4: Master Chief Collection - 93ms

Notice how bad Halo 3 is compared to Halo 1 and 2? I always hated the aiming in Halo 3 because it felt laggy.

Also, notice this:

PLAYSTATION 4:

Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN - 89ms  

Mortal Kombat X - 107ms

XBOX ONE:

Killer Instinct - 81ms

Mortal Kombat X - 105ms

Halo 1 and 2 on MCC are on par with fucking FIGHTING GAMES. That's how good the input latency is in Halo 1 and 2. Faster than freakin' Guilty Gear (Which is freakin' awesome BTW) which is considered by some to be one of the best fighting games available right now.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I just realized...

HALO 5 IS 90 GIGS HOLY FUCK

Funny how Skyrim: SE can contain all of its DLC on top of the base game using only 16 gigs. Are humongous install sizes seriously the norm for next gen games?

All of it is REQs. It sure as hell aint the maps. They use the same assests in all of them. Finally over this game. Can just not play and it and feel like I have too. Been playing Skyrim SE and Rainbow 6 Siege. Will probably play regu,larly again when I can get my hands on CQB etc.

Relevant to Theme discussion

I can't bear to ever listen to Halo 4's OST ever again. That wailing lady in the main menu is psychological torture.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I can't bear to ever listen to Halo 4's OST ever again. That wailing lady in the main menu is psychological torture.

I would routinely start another song in the 360 dashboard to avoid the ear cancer known as H4's menu theme.

The Trials is the worst rendition of the Halo theme so far. If H5's soundtrack wasn't for H5, but another game, I might have actually liked listening to it, but for now it reminds me too much of the awful campaign and MP suite at launch. I usually play with the music turned off and either old Halo OSTs, the Doom OST, or Killzone Shadow Fall's music blaring instead.

(Or Kraftwerk but that's when I'm feeling frisky)

Coming off of Halo 4's soundtrack, I thought 5's was pretty good considering it wasn't done by Marty.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Funny how Skyrim: SE can contain all of its DLC on top of the base game using only 16 gigs. Are humongous install sizes seriously the norm for next gen games?

New mwr update added six maps and a few gametypes...was 27gb