CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Every onyx player I match up against is at least 1800+, probably because it's impossible to rank down once you go to onyx. One win +20, one loss -7 I swear

Nah, i believe an update sometime ago changed that, you can go down leagues, diamond to plat, silver to bronze etc etc.

Nah, i believe an update sometime ago changed that, you can go down leagues, diamond to plat, silver to bronze etc etc.

I mean impossible to rank down as in it would take like 10 losses in a row. That's just my experience with it, like I just had me and 3 other onyx's vs 2 onyx 1 diamond 1 plat. We lost but I only lost about 10 points. Should've lost way more than that

I want to enjoy the full extent of this update and put all those bad memories of Halo 5 behind me (I really do, because it's 90gb now and I'd really like to justify that somehow) but the Spartans still control so tanky and sluggish. I'm still avoiding half the playlists just like I was before I quit playing. The controls did, and still do, inspire very little confidence to play the game seriously. It's beating out Halo 3 in terms of slow controls and I honestly take back every bad thing I used to say about Halo 3's controls.

When you aren't sprinting and thrusting everywhere you just don't feel... good. It's comparable to anxiety. Not just because you're arbitrarily moving slower, but everything that isn't pressing thrust, hitting slide out of sprint, or, jumping is... delayed. Painfully, painfully, slow. Like, your basic strafe response, (the literal response from the sticks) to the acceleration, to the weapon scoping speed, to the melee input, grenade input, weapon switching, etc. All perhaps the absolute slowest across the board in the entire series. Jumping is one of the few basic actions that feels immediate, yet it's the shortest jump height in the series next to CE. The fastest main Halo game in the series and it has some of the slowest inputs hands down.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is regular Theater broken again, or am I just having some weird glitch? Seems like the video is playing in slightly slow motion.

edit: pausing and unpausing seemed to fix it. very odd.

On what planet is this shit "the fastest main Halo game in the series"?

Planet Waypoint
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I mean impossible to rank down as in it would take like 10 losses in a row. That's just my experience with it, like I just had me and 3 other onyx's vs 2 onyx 1 diamond 1 plat. We lost but I only lost about 10 points. Should've lost way more than that

Im not 100% on how it works but i think you gain 10 points/lose points if its a win or a loss

How is Warzone searching alone since the update? I would think the fireteam limit would kill off a lot of the farming/steamrolling which is one of the reasons I stopped playing pretty much everything outside of Firefight in this.

Great, I've been dumping on other solo players all night.:kappa:

I've been reading that people are getting banned for suiciding too much after playing Race games in Action Sack since there are landmines that count as suicides when you hit them, lol.

True story..20 min ban....getting out of you vehicle also counts

On what planet is this shit "the fastest main Halo game in the series"?

Because it is technically the fastest you can move? I'm really not arguing scaling or other semantics here.

Scaling just makes it the 'play' the slowest. 

So I just posted this a bit ago on the Arena Changes thread on /r/halo and it's sitting at zero right now. Is my tone condescending? I try really hard to keep my posts light and free of an attitude of superiority. I tag pretty much everything the poster above me was saying that people wanted to remove in my post, so there's some context to what I'm replying to.

It's more for HCS-style play than normal ranked. As a whole, I think Halo 5 plays pretty well, but the higher you get in skill, the more certain aspects can be taken advantage of.

Remove radar.

Remove splinters

Splinter grenades, while designed around denying space (like the tunnels on Regret and doorways), are incredibly powerful get-out-of-jail free cards that provide a one-shot kill that you can simply poop out on reflex and nullify the other player's better position.

Remove storm rifles

It's not so much the storm rifles that are an issue, because they're an excellent pickup, but it's the amount on the map and the rate at which they respawn. The new settings appear to have them moved to Tier 2 respawning so there's only one on the map at a time so you don't have legions of storm rifles chewing up everything in sight on the tighter maps.

Remove Stasis

As it currently is, Stasis very heavily favors the red team for reasons I can't quite remember right now (Lethul has made plenty of mentions of it on TB and why OpTic has vetoed it the entire past season, I'll have to dig up one of his posts at some point).

Again, most of this stuff isn't a concern for the vast majority of players, so it might not be immediately apparent why people get so up in arms about it, but I think there's plenty of reasons why there should be an HCS playlist with separate settings.

And I know you were being sarcastic about everyone wanting Halo 2 over and over again, but I'd like to take a stab at it.

The Halo games have all been their own special brand of Halo, the purest of which people most identify with is either Halo CE or Halo 2. When it really comes down to it, people don't want these same games over again and again, but they do want to have that purity of gameplay, the Halo-esque format of controlling space and power weapons without a whole lot of extra fluff (see Armor Lock and Promethean Vision). Halo 5 is an excellent game in its own rights, but it has some of that extra fluff that some purists don't quite appreciate. There's a belief that maybe 343 could simplify things a bit and create a sleeker, streamlined version of what they have now. This call for simplicity is where we get the "well, why don't you just go play Halo 2". It's not that people don't want to play Halo 5, they'd just like to trim some of the fat.

I identify with the thought that Halo CE is the purest form of Halo available, and that many similarities from Halo CE could be brought into Halo 5, such as static timers (which Tier 3 weapons are on, which has made map control that much more of a focus), no radar (which everyone has an opinion on, but I've already harped on that enough), and a strong starting weapon (the entire sandbox was balanced around countering the strength of the pistol with power weapons and powerups, which Halo 5 doesn't quite commit to fully). Those three things are the biggest features that in my mind that keep Halo, Halo. I have no issue with the new movement mechanics (even though I'm not a fan of sprint, I'll admit to it working much, much better here than in other iterations), so when I mention the core of Halo, it's about keeping those three things in mind and applying them to this new modern Halo.

Aaaaaand I just wrote a novel. I'm sorry, I just love Halo and want it to be the best it can be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

WillFarrell.gif

I know, I know. The substance wasn't probably something they'd automatically agree with, but I also don't want to give them any more anti-comp ammo than they already have, so I focus on my tone while not straying from my opinions.

Just lost 10 games in a row in Social Skirmish, playing against Onyx / Champs ... among my most frustrating experiences in recent memory.  Anyway that playlist is definitely "true social", I've gotten bronzes (mostly on my team) and Champions (not on my team) for ~50 games now.  Played against JR2 on Truth, he's ... sort of good

Anyone on TB interested in playing TA with me? I'm a Diamond 3, I'm trying to climb back into Onyx but for the past week I've just been on a losing streak. I don't have a mic, sorry. Just add me and I'll send you a game invite.

GT: L Jinxed I

• Upvote (+1) 1

Kinda OT, but Quinn talking about "radar changes" got me thinking: What about a vision based radar like CS:GO?

Here's why I like the idea:Casuals still get their radar, but it's not a complete crutch like the motion tracker we've always had. In high level games, top players call out constantly anyways so it will not give them free information (besides, calling out will always be more effective than a vision based radar).

Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Kinda OT, but Quinn talking about "radar changes" got me thinking: What about a vision based radar like CS:GO?

Here's why I like the idea:Casuals still get their radar, but it's not a complete crutch like the motion tracker we've always had. In high level games, top players call out constantly anyways so it will not give them free information (besides, calling out will always be more effective than a vision based radar).

Thoughts?

I really like that idea. It sounds very similar to the Gears of War spotting system. I assume you're meaning that an enemy will show up on radar if a teammate or yourself has them in their field of view?

What if a spotting system was implemented? Have someone click the stick for the enemy that they see show up on teammates' radar for a short period of time.

I see why everyone on Waypoint complains about quitters. Seriously, EVERY SINGLE GAME in the lower ranks has a quitter. I honestly can't stand playing at this level. I especially hate how EVEN WHEN BASICALLY EVETYONE ON YOUR TEAM QUITS, YOU LOSE THE SAME AMOUNT OF CSR.

I'm getting extremely fed up with this game. Seriously, I feel like I'm getting more even matches in Social Skirmish compared to TA.

• Upvote (+1) 1