CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The patch said something about aiming 'latency' being fixed so I assume that means it was tied to latency. I'm mad that's even a thing, but I played a lot earlier and apparently it no longer pissed itself every 2 matches, so that is nice. I didn't really notice much difference aside from that though? It still takes a whole afternoon to be able to aim again after not playing for 4 months.

Customs are pretty lit. I want to say this is the first time customs in Halo have ever 'worked'. Now I can at least play Halo with SA's and radar turned off, without ejecting Halo 5. Some of my only fond memories playing this game were made today. 

While I was hosting FFA on Backwash this young kid on mic asked 'why can't I like, boost forward?'

It took everything in me not to say 'well, why can't I play Halo 5 with real Halo gameplay?' but I was already being a dick because I gave no indication SA's would be turned off with a custom gametype name or something.

Lmao... I just kept the default Halo 5 FFA gametype with tactical magnum starts, upped the strafing and turned everything else off. I'm surprised barely anyone quit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but it sounds like the underlying problem that's causing poor framerate is not going to be fixed.

Well that's shitty. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

When are you guys getting lag? I haven't noticed any yet too dramatic on the PC version, I want to try and recreate it. Wonder if it's a power thing or Halo 5 thing. 

I know one thing I notice on the PC version way more, is the 10fps animations of anything out of pissing range. Holy shit they need to fix that for Halo 6. 

Eh? If the aiming was truly fixed it would be immediately and unambiguously apparent. 

My issues is that even after this update, which DOES feel better, game to game my sensitivity feels completely different.  I don't know if its just the dedicated server I'm connected to or issues buried deep within H5 coding on the xbox but I do know that when I plug my elite up to the PC the aiming feels PERFECT and that is across multiple game lobbies.  My opinion is that its somehow tied to vsync on the Xbox.

At least French was brutally honest about it - something 343 could learn from.

This. He doesn't run around the questions and gives a clear answer, even if it is not technically detailed, unlike some employees at 343. Some of those even insult their fan base, upon receiving constructive criticism and being caught in a lie.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the next step is for 343 to actually have some type of quality control for what they put in MM. I'm sorry but if your forge maps drop frames noticeably when looking basically anywhere you're going to need to remove that from MM. Pegasus 2 is actually trash just because of that. You don't even need to think about how the map actually plays because it fails on the hardware end of things. 

Does anyone else get crippling lag when people join the game on some of the BTB forge maps? Like it totally locks up for a few seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My issues is that even after this update, which DOES feel better, game to game my sensitivity feels completely different.  I don't know if its just the dedicated server I'm connected to or issues buried deep within H5 coding on the xbox but I do know that when I plug my elite up to the PC the aiming feels PERFECT and that is across multiple game lobbies.  My opinion is that its somehow tied to vsync on the Xbox.

What settings do you use? I play on the PC with an elite controller at 100 FoV & 144 FPS, the aiming still feels bad. 

Custom game browser and Social playlists do SO much for this game. If these had been in at launch, I think Halo would have done 10000x better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why? Is it the clutter? Color filter?

The color I don't mind so much since I did like dark Pegasus in the beta, it's all the new geometry and spawns. The spawns are fucked up, and the carbine to outside area is way too messy. I died where blue spawns with snipe, then as the other team was moving towards old is, I spawn right there and killed them. I don't mind the drop down where the blue to rocket lobby is but overall it's a messy unnecessary remix. And the frames drop like a bitch

I do like the cave from top red

Maybe Halo 5 on PC needs its own thread?

I dunno, these forums are freakin' weird, but whatever.

Lets talk about Halo 5 PC!

Good things about Halo 5 PC:

1. I can play Halo 5 on PC.

Bad things about Halo 5 PC:

1. Mouse aiming is fucked.
  2. No seriously, I have to set my fucking X and Y settings individually because vertical aiming feels faster than horizontal aiming. This is despite a "Raw input" option in the control settings... I don't even.
  3. No FoV settings. 78 degrees feels even worse on a mouse because you either need to ramp up your sensitivity or you're constantly lifting your mouse as you frantically do 360's as you enter each new room.
  4. Capped to 60 FPS... In the year 2016... When 144hz monitors have been around for years...
  5. Frame rate issues on some Forge maps, despite my PC having specs like 5X's better than an Xbox One. (i7 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB)
  6. Server browser cannot be sorted by ping (although VERY bad connections seem to appear at the end of the list, I guess that's something)
  7. It's hard to tell what rules you're joining. I've had to leave several games now because I loaded it up and realised it was fucking shotguns only or some other stupid game type.
  8. The server browser looks like it belongs on a mobile app, not a computer screen. Give us a LIST, not this ridiculous touch screen layout. Why do I need to go through several pages instead of just scrolling down a list like a normal server browser. Stop trying to reinvent the fucking wheel 343 FUCK.
  9. No ping displayed in game or in the game browser UI, just "Connection: Normal" or "Connection: Poor".
  10. 343's idea of "normal connection" is about 200ms ping.
  11. Game crashes to desktop constantly.
  12. Players in game counter is often inaccurate meaning you join a game with spaces available only to find the game full.
  13. When you join a game it just sits there loading in the background with no indication of WTF is going on until you enter a new menu.
  14. You can't communicate in the game lobby
  15. You can't rename your game name (Unless you want to rename all your maps)

I mean... I'm TRYING to be positive here, but MONTHS after release and this is their idea of patching Halo 5 PC?

Seriously?

FFS, Titanfall 2 gets a fucking FoV option FOR CONSOLES!!!!!!111111 and we can't even get a fucking FoV option for the Halo 5 PC port?

I will admit this though:

It is fun. In about 2-3 hours of gameplay I've got enough footage captured to make a freakin' 10 minute montage. The PC players are absolutely awful which means even with 200ms ping I can just walk around no scoping people left, right and centre all day long... (Before I finally die thanks to getting shot through 3 metres of reinforced concrete thanks to lag).

• Upvote (+1) 6

When are you guys getting lag? I haven't noticed any yet too dramatic on the PC version, I want to try and recreate it. Wonder if it's a power thing or Halo 5 thing. 

I know one thing I notice on the PC version way more, is the 10fps animations of anything out of pissing range. Holy shit they need to fix that for Halo 6. 

Not sure about everyone else, but the lag shows up the most for me in match making, and tends to be worse in Social vs Ranked.  It's almost like they loosened the connection restraints in order to support all the playlists.

Also, mostly network related lag, rubber banding, stuttering.  Framerate issues only seem to be on forge maps.

Team Snipers has always been my favorite playlist since I first started playing Halo. It's a shame that I don't even want to play it in Halo5 because it's so ridiculously easy to use. There's nothing less satisfying than shooting 5ft to the left of their head and still getting the headshot.

How, after 1 year they still haven't adjusted the magnetism on the sniper? Do they actually think the sniper is fine? It's fucking ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't know about aiming improving but on poorer connection my shots seem to actually hit headshots now. It's not placebo, it's noticeably better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So there is some light in this darkness.

Simpler maps, like White Cell, or even CE inspired maps/remakes still work pretty well, with only a minor drop in frame-rate in obscure locations. Forgers are basically going to have to be creative with their methods of making something look pretty without killing the screen.

I'm thinking detailing and lighting will be the biggest mountain to climb. But I think we can do it.

The aiming has changed, its different. That being said, there is still heavy aim. Part of me feels like they jusy changed the base aim or something, because the aiming feels different from what it was like before when it was "good". I aslo thing they changed the graphics because the maps look more smooth. Hd like.

Team Snipers has always been my favorite playlist since I first started playing Halo. It's a shame that I don't even want to play it in Halo5 because it's so ridiculously easy to use. There's nothing less satisfying than shooting 5ft to the left of their head and still getting the headshot.

How, after 1 year they still haven't adjusted the magnetism on the sniper? Do they actually think the sniper is fine? It's fucking ridiculous.

Its like h4, the snipe might as well be a BR. 343 turned halo into a clunky, heavy aim assist, shooter.

What settings do you use? I play on the PC with an elite controller at 100 FoV & 144 FPS, the aiming still feels bad. 

I have default fov and 60 fps - same as console essentially since that's what I'm used to.

I don't know about aiming improving but on poorer connection my shots seem to actually hit headshots now. It's not placebo, it's noticeably better.

Im convinced that the input lag was effecting every controller input, not just looking. I think trigger pulls are registering immediatly now too which could certainly make it easier to land shots esp. at range.

And people need to stop saying that aiming mechanicd are tied to latency. Lag makes aiming harder cuz lag, its not changing the way you look around or sensitivity curve. Not that youre saying that @@Shekkles , i just mean in general.

• Upvote (+1) 1