CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wow, I honestly thought they were the same but kept switching avatars or something.

(please tell me I'm not the only one that recognizes avatars more than names?)

Lol no your not and no we're not the same.

When you put the santa hat on stafford there, I was totally confused.

All they need is an armor set with a tail to compliment that ugly ass helmet. 

My money is on the one without HCS in their name.  Does this mean there is going to be an epic 1v1 dual streamed by the official Beyond twitch?  Cuz that would be dope. Sentinel beams on back wash. :kappa: 

I'd be down for a 1 v 1 @.  I hate/am terrible at them however, so it would need to be with crazy settings. 10 sense, 5 accel, splinter nades and Binary's only or something stupid like that lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Cursed Lemon I suppose, but yet that's exactly what it felt like to those who had a lot of experience with it, combined with over compensating because of the delay causing the weird accel curve to kick in.

Off topic but no idea why quoting doesn't work on my computer, it's annoying having to use my phone for that.

See I'm confused, because I instantly recognized H5's weird aiming, but have never had a problem with H3's. Idk man.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Purely anecdotal but I don't sense any input delay. If you stick-flick, you'll notice a palpable delay on any Halo game from MCC, for example. 

Eh? If the aiming was truly fixed it would be immediately and unambiguously apparent.

This forum has a history of overblowing these kind of fixes immediately after they happen. I'm in no position to test the aiming myself right now and have to trust other peoples judgment. Like you, the aiming is a massive contributor to my enjoyment of Halo 5.

If "input delay" was the culprit, then it would be up to a firmware update to fix that problem. 

Just a reminder for everyone involved that the only concrete, tangible explanation for the aiming problem lies here. @@ske7ch here's your pitch 

Not necessarily.  It would depend on where the input delay was happening.  If it was happening between the Controller and Xbox, then a firmware update might have been necessary. unless it was happening in the software of the OS.  

If the delay is happening in the software translation in-game, then firmware has nothing to do with it. So it makes perfect sense that whatever calculation that the game had to do with the raw input it was getting from the controller/OS was taking too long.

I think that 343 is dumbing down their explanation of the problem of course, they are not going to give us too many details about "how the sausage is made", but it makes perfect sense that the end result of that problem would be input delay.  That wouldn't fix any issues they had with the acceleration curve, but an input delay would certainly exacerbate them.

Personally i would like clarification to know if it was input delay of not just aiming, but every single input.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is CursedLemon stupid on purpose?

Kid is sitting here telling people they haven't achieved the proper level of euphoria to be "cognizant" of why Halo 3 is such a bad game. Lmao

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Honestly the only way to see if the aiming is better is to try it for yourself, regardless of what any of us THINK the problem was you'll see that whatever the issue really was, it has been vastly improved. Then you'll become a loony like me on the forum telling people the aiming is genuinely better just because a few people said it's now worse than ever lol.

With all of that said and done, I'm not at all looking to intentionally defend 343 here, just inform people. Even with the improved aiming I still greatly dislike Halo 5's general gameplay and don't really tend to have much fun in matchmaking, that has a bigger affect on my enjoyment of the game than the aiming does personally.

The customs browser however is VERY fun.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Kid is sitting here telling people they haven't achieved the proper level of euphoria to be "cognizant" of why Halo 3 is such a bad game. Lmao

If Halo 3 sped up the projectiles significantly, got rid of the randomness of the spread, and increased the FoV so it "Felt" faster, it would be an amazing game.  I played the shit out of it and had a ton of fun with it, but always hated the hit detection and always thought it was a significant downgrade from H1 and H2.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It feels more crisp. Its still not the best aiming I've felt, but it feels much better. I still use custom curves on my Elite to get it feeling truly nice.

I'm curious what you did with the Elite curves.  I tried making adjustments with that, but the Elite curve changes just seemed to result in super drastic jumps for me.

Not necessarily.  It would depend on where the input delay was happening.  If it was happening between the Controller and Xbox, then a firmware update might have been necessary. unless it was happening in the software of the OS.  

If the delay is happening in the software translation in-game, then firmware has nothing to do with it. So it makes perfect sense that whatever calculation that the game had to do with the raw input it was getting from the controller/OS was taking too long.

Well, that would also be unprecedented, either a developer deliberately programming input delay into the game or a box that's so stressed out that it can't even handle control input in a timely fashion. 

I think that 343 is dumbing down their explanation of the problem of course, they are not going to give us too many details about "how the sausage is made", but it makes perfect sense that the end result of that problem would be input delay.  That wouldn't fix any issues they had with the acceleration curve, but an input delay would certainly exacerbate them.

Personally i would like clarification to know if it was input delay of not just aiming, but every single input.

Should be the job of the community rep to get a proper, nuanced explanation of what's going on. 

... ...

... ... ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

The customs browser however is VERY fun.

This is going to save the game for a lot of people.  All they need to do with it is add the ability to label your lobby and add a text search to the browser.

• Upvote (+1) 5

after playing 10 games of social skirmish, they appear to be actually social; I'm still getting matched with bronze and/or Champion players each game, lots of blowouts, some close games, etc.  I'm guessing it'll tighten a bit (skill-wise) but it appears to be actually social.  for reference, when I played pre-update social playlists on secondary accounts, I would get 50-49 sweatfests after 3-4 games

Ya, it seems that way to me.

Damn, it's fun. It's nice to be able to grab a sniper and go for crazy shots without being shut down in 0.2 seconds.

Well, that would also be unprecedented, either a developer deliberately programming input delay into the game or a box that's so stressed out that it can't even handle control input in a timely fashion. 

Should be the job of the community rep to get a proper, nuanced explanation of what's going on. 

... ...

... ... ...

... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
  • Upvote (+1) 6

That is sure fire way to neg repped into oblivion.  Lemon is GOAT 'round these parts, and we don't take kindly to kind 'round here. 

Ya, it seems that way to me.

Damn, it's fun. It's nice to be able to grab a sniper and go for crazy shots without being shut down in 0.2 seconds.

honestly this is the most fun I've ever had with H5, I can only imagine how big this game would be right now if it had all these features at launch ... 343 really seem to be pulling their shit together, hopefully H6's launch looks something like this

dan... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

dan... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Fuck me that was a chuckle.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Is there still hidden MMR in social?

I swear, I'm getting matched up with Onyx-level players all the time, making most of my matches sweaty as hell.

Either that or only the good players still play the game :(

Also: is MM fixed? Like do they do a better job of matching you within your rank? I was getting tired of playing Champs or high Onyx every game when I'm low Onyx

honestly this is the most fun I've ever had with H5, I can only imagine how big this game would be right now if it had all these features at launch ... 343 really seem to be pulling their shit together, hopefully H6's launch looks something like this

Without all the REQs and spartan abilities and shit that make it still a shitty version of Halo.  

I would actually be fine with REQs if they just limited it to gun skins, armors, emblems, etc.  Purely cosmetic.  These needle hogs and ARs with DMR scopes have got to GTFO. 

Turn Warzone into proper Big Team with balance, then I'd buy H6.  Maybe.  Probably if it's on PC. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is going to save the game for a lot of people.  All they need to do with it is add the ability to label your lobby and add a text search to the browser.

PC version crashes after games too.  They need to fix that shit ASAP.

Without all the REQs and spartan abilities and shit that make it still a shitty version of Halo.  

I would actually be fine with REQs if they just limited it to gun skins, armors, emblems, etc.  Purely cosmetic.  These needle hogs and ARs with DMR scopes have got to GTFO. 

Turn Warzone into proper Big Team with balance, then I'd buy H6.  Maybe.  Probably if it's on PC. 

That's what BTB is for though. It's WZ without the REQs... Warzone is meant to be played with REQs. 

And some of the spartan abilities work really well with the game, such as clamber and thrust and ground pound. I'd say get rid of spartan charge for sure and MAYBE sprint, or at least reduce the amount of sprint you get. Not unlimited sprint.

I mean, there could also be nothing deliberate about it. Could have been a bug that they had to track down or just inefficiently programmed, or a cascade of multiple smaller problems or, or, or,.  Neither one of us can pretend to know exactly what was wrong with the code to make this happen.  And muddy controls aren't exactly unprecedented either.  

If you think about it, many console shooters don't have the most crisp aiming.  Ever play Deus Ex: Human revolution or Wolfenstein?  The aiming for both of those is awful on console, but they get away with it being single player.  If Halo was only PvE, I don't think anybody would notice.

Translating curved thumb movements that are actually linear X and Y coordinates on a 2D plane in the controller itself to clean, responsive 3d movements in game cannot be easy.  

I am absolutely 100% NOT giving 343 an excuse for this.  it was a fuck up that took waaaaay too long to correct and should have been fine from day 1 to begin with. How it got worse from Beta and passed QA is beyond me.  What i am saying is that regardless of anybody's person feelings towards 343, there is no reason to believe that their explanation for the problem is anything other than simplified for lay people.  That doesn't make it a lie.