CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Still no sprintless playlist, so I am still not touching H5. 

I'm downloading the PC version again but still can't be bothered bringing my Xbox into my room from the living room. I hope the aiming is better but yea, the gameplay itself is still so lackluster. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nope. I've tested this, at default 5 sens (2.5 horizontal, 5 vertical) the vertical and horizontal aim speeds are roughly equal. At 5 horizontal and 5 vertical, horizontal aiming is clearly much faster. Here's a comparison:

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2015-12-11&sr

The left is default settings, the right is 5 and 5. To do this I just held fire whilst circling the stick at a steady rate.

Lets call this perceptual differences then.  I have done those same tests using the same methodology and come up with vastly different results.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Won't be able to play for a good bit so just wondering on a few things.

Did the framefate issues get fixed in BTB?

Are the Arena and Social stats separate now or do they still combine them?

Adjusted Warden spawn locations in round 5 objective on March on Stormbreak

Adjusted Warden spawn locations in round 5 objective on Urban

Does this mean the Wardens don't spawn in the home base any more?

Still no sprintless playlist, so I am still not touching H5. 

You should check out the Evolved lobbies. I bet you'd like them a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Won't be able to play for a good bit so just wondering on a few things.

Did the framefate issues get fixed in BTB?

Are the Arena and Social stats separate now or do they still combine them?

Does this mean the Wardens don't spawn in the home base any more?

Haven't ran into this round yet on both maps but I'll keep an eye out. I'm hoping they made it so the Mythic Warden doesn't spawn on the back platform anymore at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 employees celebrating launch day material. Most of the fan base has already dropped the game and it's frustrating to know that we had to wait over a year for 343 to release a complete game.

I mean, we had pancakes and then went back to work (unless you were playing or watching the internal 343 tournament).

• Upvote (+1) 8

There are upsides and downsides to both methods.

This is true.

The issue here is that the downside to party restrictions is many people around the world LITERALLY CANNOT FIND GAMES.

This is obviously unacceptable.

Most players can suck up and take a loss to a team of four here and there, I can't magically spawn extra players in my region to play against.

Yes, it's true that the majority of Halo 5 players are North American, but the issues that face players outside of NA (and perhaps EU) are FAR more serious. Therefore, these players are more important to cater towards.

As I've said already, longer match making times will affect everyone. For the casual Halo player they don't give a shit about parties, they just want to play a game. If you make these players suddenly wait 3-4X's longer for a game they're not sticking around.

Reddit, Beyond, hell, not even Halo Waypoint represent the average Halo player. The average Halo player has never visited a game forum in their life.

Imagine two guys getting a 50 / Champion rank in Team Doubles. This was either achieved by playing against other to2 or against two randoms. Which one is more impressive?  This translates to all team playlists. A rank means jack shit if you can just party up and shit on randoms to inflate it. Of course skill matching plays a role too, but party size is just as important.

I don't care what's more impressive, I care which team is better.

I mean, sure, if a player is able to achieve champion in Doubles through solo queue then good for them, but they don't deserve extra points just because they decided not to queue as a party.

If a team of 2 is better than the 2 randoms than the team of 2 should get a higher rank. End of story. That's what a ranking system is for.

MLG doesn't give extra points to a team if they place well but haven't played together before.

If players want to increase their own individual rank they can go play FFA.

What frustrates me about your argument is how you completely fail to acknowledge that the lack of party restrictions from the beginning have contributed greatly to the population's decline. Just ask around these forums. I think you'll find it rather eye opening.

[Citation needed]

You realise these forums make up even less of the Halo 5 population than the Oceanic region, right?

It doesn't matter how many players the issue affects, the developer must address the issues by severity. Unable to find games is at the top of the list, no matter how much you want to whinge about party restrictions. This isn't hard to understand.

If a doctor has a dozen people in the waiting room with the flu and a single patient comes in with a bullet wound, guess who's getting priority treatment. If they patients with the flu start complaining the doctor isn't treating them the receptionist would tell them to STFU since there's some poor guy clinging onto life while they've go the sniffles.

If you think players are literally quitting the game due to party restrictions (while possible, I have a hard time believing it, most people are just blowing hot air), how many players do you think have stopped playing the game due to playlists being a ghost town. I'll let you have a think about it, but I don't think you'll need long...

FFS guys, I have made 2 videos on this exact subject. You're trying to argue against VIDEO EVIDENCE. Think my videos don't count because they're from Australia? Vetoed made a video on a similar subject where it was taking literally hours to find FFA games and that was within a couple of months of Halo 5's release.

The idea that party restrictions wouldn't severely increase match making times, even for North Americans is just hilarious to me. Did you see the part in my article about the popularity of this game? It's sitting between fucking Battlefront and Titanfall 2 FFS. It's not like you guys have an active player pool in the hundreds of thousands. If you did, then I'd say that an option for party restrictions could be made available dynamically based on the active player count.

You say you're frustrated?

Mate, imagine you're me. You've got the urge to pwn a few noobs in Halo 5 so you boot up your Xbox, grab your Red Bull and Doritos and prepare yourself, only to be greeted with "cannot find players" again and again and again and again.

Then you vent your frustration online only to find a bunch of Yanks whinging about party restrictions. You tell them "well party restrictions is probably a bad idea because some of us can't find games at all and this would make it even worse", only for an entire forum to jump down your throat and call you an idiot because you told them the uncomfortable truth.

The solution is to allow players to check a box that filters their games. Your box would likely remain unchecked. Mine would be checked.

Already addressed this.

If players do this it makes match making times take longer for EVERYONE.

Imagine you're a party of 4 and you're ranked high Onyx and you're playing pretty early in the afternoon because you and your buddies work weird hours. It takes you 5 minutes to find a game and sometimes you have to restart the search because you get no matches.

Now imagine most solo players and most doubles players decide to check that box that only allows the same party composition on each team.

Assuming an equal spread of party sizes (which is being VERY generous BTW), you've now literally cut the player pool available to this party by 75%.

There search times are now TRIPLED. So now this party is restarting search over and over and it's taking like 3-4 attempts of searching to finally find a game.

But it gets even better!

We can safely assume that the party sizes in match making are more likely to be skewed towards lower party sizes.

To be honest I have no hard data to confirm this, I'm just using my experience.

In reality it's probably closer to like 1/6th of parties being a team of 4, perhaps even less.

You're literally talking about match making search times that are easily 5-6X's longer for some players - And that's for North American players.

There's a reason 343 has decided not to make party restrictions so tight in match making, it's not because they hate you.

Hell, tag a 343 dev in this post and I'll literally put my money where my mouth is and bet they agree with most of what I'm saying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are those that said this day would never come, what are they to say now?

This day should have been now a year ago this day.

I'm hoping they made it so the Mythic Warden doesn't spawn on the back platform anymore at all.

Yeah, I hope so as well. That was one of the worst things in FF.

I want the Mark V delta before I say anything.

I want CQB. its a shame the helmets dont have matching body armours. No CQB body.....

Tohugh the Helmet will probably look pretty rad with the Technician body as theya re both pretty round.

Has anyone got a Asymmetric Assault gametype where one team defends and the other attacks?

I apologize if this was already discussed but I assume the custom games browser works for Halo 5 Forge (PC) correct? I'm interested in giving this game another shot, first time installing for PC.

snip

Your point is well made. I absolutely see where you're coming from. However, I don't think it would be as bad as you say it would.

As for the citation about population drop off, the number one thing on the wishlist on reddit is party restrictions. That's a clue. But since we want to use the ignorance of the masses to support our argument, how about the fact that most players don't even know why they're getting shit on by teams? The game offers them no UI to distinguish premades, so most casual H5 players probably can't even articulate their problem. That doesn't change the fact that they're having a totally shitty time whenever it happens.

Then you have the integrity of the ranks, which you brushed under the rug. I think getting champion by partying up and shitting on solo's without mics matters a lot more than you do, but we can agree to disagree I guess. At least in H3 if you had to deal with a bunch of uncoordinated randoms, you could count on the other team having an equal chance of that too.

But getting back to the option of enabling party restrictions, there are solutions to this. For one, the box would be unchecked by default, which right away means most people will never even change it.  Secondly, it doesn't even need to match exact party size. I would be content with only protecting solos. Match solo's with solo's, or with to3's.  Any other fireteam size should be able to match any other fireteam size. But in order for that to work, I also think ranked playlists should disallow party chat and force players to use game chat. That way there are minimal barriers to two different to2's communicating on par with the to4 they're facing.  The only real goal here is to prevent an organized to4 matching and ranking up against a splintered group of uncoordinated fireteams that have no way of communicating with their teammates in party chat.

Regarding Vetoed's anecdote with FFA, its almost irrelevant. For one, its FFA, so fireteam restrictions are a non sequitur. Secondly, he's like Champion 3 in FFA, so its unsurprising that its tough to find a game at that level. Lastly, FFA is fucking garbage in H5, and it always has been. The settings are abysmal. That's why FFA has population problems.

And if NA players did find that they were having trouble finding games (they wouldn't; see Halo 3 in 2016), they could always just uncheck the box.

Yes, it would take longer to find games, obviously. However, I would rather wait for a good game than instantly get a shitty one, like the game wasn't even trying. I think multiple horrible experiences in rapid succession does more to turn away casual players than a 3-5 minute wait for an excellent game would.

Lastly, I'm honestly curious. Do you really believe that lack of party restrictions didn't affect the population dropoff in ranked arena last year?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I apologize if this was already discussed but I assume the custom games browser works for Halo 5 Forge (PC) correct? I'm interested in giving this game another shot, first time installing for PC.

Yes, works there too.

• Upvote (+1) 1