CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Adding chess as a new gametype when KoTH and Oddball aren't in the game would be a whole new level of dumb, even for 343.

I dunno man. They're by far one of the most creative devs in the industry... when it comes to that. 

Also kys rep systems everywhere. I think that's my second time downvoting on accident.

Did 343 ever mention the reasoning of buffing the Hydra in this game to have a stronger blast radius and seemingly faster lock on? As far as I know, no one ever pressured them to make these adjustments for a weapon primarily utilized for locking on to unaware opponents. Now the Hydra has devolved to spam around an opponent's feet in CQC (because making the weapon fully automatic was entirely helpful) and completely unfair engagements as you seemingly die from tracking missiles despite how you descope your opponent mid-fight. No one even bothers to aim directly at the opponent for a one-shot melee kill because of the safer and more consistent spam.

Increasing missile velocity without smart-linking (while reverting to the original blast radius) has constantly been suggested in this forum as it promotes accurate shot placement, both for mid and close range. Lock on should also be entirely reset upon being de scoped to prevent spam of the Hydra due to the tracking which leads to unavoidable and frustrating deaths in direct engagements.

But one can dream I suppose.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They need to but Halo 5 out as free to play now.

It's £10 in stores. Nobody is buying it.

Nobody is playing it.

I'm in low plat right now soloing and matching teams of onxy and champions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well Titanfall 2 is now ahead of Halo 5 on Xbox most played. So is it safe to say there is <22k players playing Halo 5?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well Titanfall 2 is now ahead of Halo 5 on Xbox most played. So is it safe to say there is <22k players playing Halo 5?

Bought Titanfall 2 after playing the free weekend. Really enjoying it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

22k is Titanfall 2's average, I believe. The latest DLC and the free weekend spiked its population.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't Gears a niche series? It's not exactly pick-up-and-play like COD or BF.

Idk, i never really played Gears. I always thought it was a very popular xbox exclusive and very popular MP.

They need to but Halo 5 out as free to play now.

It's £10 in stores. Nobody is buying it.

Nobody is playing it.

I'm in low plat right now soloing and matching teams of onxy and champions.

Update comes out on Thursday.

Free play weekend a week later.

On sale for christmas.

If the update doesnt break anything, thats how they'll play this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

While others are writing up feedback on mechanics and maps, which I agree with, I decided to write up on our favorite subject: REQs!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OiUyZcbhp6sQ2Pwu2i91Koy68-wy6TDgOObmGc7rnNA/edit

Expanding on Halo 5’s In-Game Economy

After looking at Vetoed’s document of feedback it game me inspiration to do one of my own that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile now. While it doesn’t focus on core mechanics or just gameplay in general it’s a subject I still feel like needs improvements.

New incentives to play and grind in any game have become more and more common with recently in-game currency and economy contributing to that. Halo 5 is no exception with REQ Packs and REQ Points. No matter how one feels on the subject it is no question that the concept has become very successful for 343, but still has a lot of improvements and can look at other games on how they have handled their in-game currency.

Below are just a few ideas that I have been thinking about since launch on how I think the idea of REQs can be expanded and improved on:

• In-Game & HCS Match Betting: How much more interesting a game could be if you can bet 5000 REQ Points in the pre-game lobby? What about having a tab open to Halo Waypoint’s HCS page about to gamble all of your RP on the Grand Finals of the Halo World Championships? I’ll focus mainly on the first question to give you a good idea. Look at Grand Theft Auto Online. In every online match, from Team Deathmatch to Race to Last Man Standing, you can bet up to $10,000 GTA Dollars on yourself or any other person or team in the pre-game lobby. Did you win the bet? Get paid immediately in the post-game lobby. The same idea can be used on Waypoint for HCS Tournaments and Pro League.

• Ability to Earn Cosmetic Items More than Once: Short and sweet as this is a setup to my next idea. Almost like how Counter Strike has it setup. Although I would still put priority over new REQ’s when they are available. This would essentially remove REQ Point cards that you get when you obtain all cosmetic REQ’s and Certifications. Once you gain a duplicate you can either scrap the item for small amount of RP or….

• Community Ran REQ Marketplace: This is where all of those extra Pizza AR Skins come into play.  If you don’t want to scrap the item you just got then you can put it up for sale. Think of it as Ebay style. “You can buy this for X RP or you can start bidding at Y RP.” From there you can set how long you want the item to stay up if it’s up for bidding. Cosmetics would be the main focus here. Buying consumables such as a Hannibal Scorpion or Nornfang is a whole another story. You won’t be able to sell certain items, such as team skins, as that defeats the purpose of those items. The pricing might have to regulated to a degree by 343.

• Keep Real World Currency Usage at a Minimum: I feel like Halo 5 does an alright job at this now, but some games have started to include the selling of the in-game currency itself instead of just the packs, crates, boxes, etc. If we stick to how it currently is then we’ll be fine.

• Improvements to Post-Game Rewards: An item that has be discussed since launch. Arena rewards less EXP and RP for a completed game, while Warzone is the go to place if you’re really trying to grind. With the addition of small rewards for completing a game really quickly in both experiences, it makes the grind unbearable at times, even with the use of boosts. A raise in Arena payouts along with a raise for completing games faster, which doesn’t mean punish players who have longer games, will go a long way.

I want to thank you for reading this and encourage to leave any feedback you have & to share with your friends that have an interest on this. This most likely won’t make it into Halo 5 but we have the future to look forward to.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The randomness of Reqs is bad enough, changing it so you can get multiples is just a stupid idea. No one would ever finish the REQ collection because all you'd get is Seeker helmets and mongoose certifications. The REQ system is only bearable because of its linear progression, being able to get everything you can from bronze packs, then silvers, so when you start opening golds you aren't wasting REQ points.

if the ability to double up was added, it would require I rework of the whole system, as the tiered back system would no longer work, and it would have to all be available in one pack for a set price.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can see it now.

343i adds a server browser and half the listings are running Halo_trade_tradeplaza_minecraft_mlp_mariokart_undertale_v2 as their map.

You join the server and people are lowballing you for your items or withholding and jacking up the prices of specific items. Because basically you're at the mercy of the people who have the item, unless you want to try your luck at getting it through the random drop system, only to unlock several worthless duplicates like the seeker helmet instead.

I'd honestly rather see them take the opposite direction.  Bring back traditional unlock progression (credit or achievement systems, preferably credit).  Warzone could be tackled by having a store where you can spend earned credits on REQ cards, with some cards costing more than others.  Then obviously you earn credits for completing matches, completing milestones, or maybe as you said be able to bet them on matches.

Of course that won't happen because there's no profit in it for 343i.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I can see it now.

343i adds a server browser and half the listings are running Halo_trade_tradeplaza_minecraft_mlp_mariokart_undertale_v2 as their map.

You join the server and people are lowballing you for your items or withholding and jacking up the prices of specific items. Because basically you're at the mercy of the people who have the item, unless you want to try your luck at getting it through the random drop system, only to unlock several worthless duplicates like the seeker helmet instead.

I'd honestly rather see them take the opposite direction.  Bring back traditional unlock progression (credit or achievement systems, preferably credit).  Warzone could be tackled by having a store where you can spend earned credits on REQ cards, with some cards costing more than others.  Then obviously you earn credits for completing matches, completing milestones, or maybe as you said be able to bet them on matches.

Of course that won't happen because there's no profit in it for 343i.

Server browser is supposed to come in the next update this week (Or so i have heard), so we are almost there.

Yeah, about this server browser...why are we not more excited about this?  H5 has a stupid good forge. These customs are going to be bonkers. We should be hosting Beyond lobbies and streaming that shit. Its gonna be fun af.

I've wanted a server browser in Halo since 2004, and I'm finally getting one in 3 days.  I feel like we're not nearly as excited for this as we should be.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yeah, about this server browser...why are we not more excited about this? H5 has a stupid good forge. These customs are going to be bonkers. We should be hosting Beyond lobbies and streaming that shit. Its gonna be fun af.

I've wanted a server browser in Halo since 2004, and I'm finally getting one in 3 days. I feel like we're not nearly as excited for this as we should be.

I'll be down to join the lobby if this update is actually as good as everybody saying it will be
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've wanted a server browser in Halo since 2004, and I'm finally getting one in 3 days.  I feel like we're not nearly as excited for this as we should be.

We should host some crisp default setting Empire Strongholds 24/7 server.  :kappa:  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 1