CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

A very well, thought out list of things that would definitely improve Halo 5 by a significant margin compiled by @@Vetoed

I would add a couple things to this list. 

• Fix the theater mode
  • (Wishful thinking really) Have developers at 343 go back and play Halo 2 or Halo 2 Anniversary for about 5-6 hours straight and then immediately have them play Halo 5 so that they can see the massive difference in the aim. Once this is done, develop something similar to how Titanfall 2 has it, where there are different "response curve" (this is what they are named in Titanfall 2) similar to Halo 2. If they are feeling froggy, make response curves for all of the Halo games; CE, H2, H3, H4, H2A.

I think in the beta "Steady" was the default aiming curve and when I was first playing it I couldn't help but notice the aiming felt like complete garbage... Until I realized there was this response curve setting. Switched it to classic (TF1), it was an instantaneous improvement! THIS is what Halo 5 needs desperately. If I could aim in H5 like I could in H2, I'd never complain again.
  • Touching on the re-balancing weapon sandbox, remove the Fuel Rod and Hydra from Truth. When they changed the weapon layout on Truth it went from being my favorite maps to one of my least favorite almost immediately. That map does not need spammable mini rocket launchers on it.
  • And you put this as well, but I'm going to double up and say add vetoes to matchmaking. There are so many things that 343 can learn from Halo 3. All it takes is them to re-implement them.
  • Lastly, bump FFA back up to 8 players and fix your spawning algorithm. 6 player FFAs have been the biggest camp-fest, dating back to Halo 2. Yes, even on Midship. When there are 6 players on a map, you drastically lose the "chaos factor" if you will, and it's a lot easier to set up in areas; if you've wondered why there is so much constant crouching with ARs, this is part of the issue. The problems in FFA were never the player count. It was a mix of terrible weapon layouts on (in my personal opinion) bad maps, with awful spawns. I will never forget the 2nd FFA game I ever played in H5 where I spawned East Gate on Plaza and spawned right behind someone and back smacked him 2 seconds into the game. The spawn system needs to be overhauled honestly.
  • Add more game labels to your Forge options. This is particularly a gripe with custom settings (found this out when I was working on maps for the Evolved settings). Right now, Oddball and Assault share the same label "Sportsball" or something like that. This is unfortunate because we play on several maps that use static spawns. For example, there's a Midship remake that we played on called Shiftspace. Now, this map is good for TS (dynamic spawns), CTF, and Assault. We wanted to test Oddball on it as well, but for us to do that, we'd have to make an entirely separate map in order to play it. Because if we use the current layout, Oddball would use the Assault variants spawns, causing static spawns on an Oddball gametype; which doesn't work.

I can list quite a few more things but they are smaller issues and not that important right now.

• Upvote (+1) 8

In regards to Vetoed's list...

• Automatic headshots aren't that big of a deal in my opinion. In the beta, the randomness of spread made headshot multipliers way too strong because they worked on shields, but now that it is health only it actually requires a bit more awareness and aiming to hit those headshots, especially when tap firing. Automatics obviously need to be tuned down, but I don't think this is the exact issue.
  • Matchmaking suggestions such as 3v3 starts and widened search parameters wouldn't be needed if 343 would organize their playlists efficiently.
  • Forge maps in matchmaking is a delicate subject, and I've always personally believed that while the community absolutely deserves some love and some time in the spotlight, throwing UGC into permanent playlists isn't healthy for the game's image. A weekend playlist with 5+ community forge maps once a month? Fuck yes.
  • "Incentive to grind" is more of a discussion of 343's failure of a progression system. When compared to a game like Overwatch, Halo 5 essentially rewards the player with... nothing. This topic can be talked about for hours, so let's just say don't fuck it up for Halo 6.
  • Playlist XP/Ranks is a cool concept, but if the base progression system (SR) doesn't even reward players, then this is an addition that is so monumentally low on the list of priorities
  • Ranked 4v4 Snipers is not a good idea. Snipers should be 4v4 on Arena maps, but I wouldn't go as far to say it should be permanent, and it most certainly should not be ranked, in order to preserve the integrity of the ranking system (even though 343 has botched this already, so I guess it doesn't matter)
  • Add "actual Social" is the Cooper argument, and is probably one of the biggest misconceptions in modern gaming. As far as I'm aware, almost all Halo games have always used some form of skill matching, as do most games like Destiny and Call of Duty for social lists. While I do agree that Social playlists must have looser skill matching, stripping away skill matching entirely is not healthy for any hopper.
  • Plasma Caster, as I discussed in the H5 Arena Thread, is grossly misinterpreted by the community as a whole. In the Memories of Reach update, they sped up detonation time and this fundamentally changed the way the weapon functioned, for the worse. The weapon doesn't need to be nerfed via ammo or damage. Read that thread for more lore.
  • Splinter Grenades don't do too much damage, but they do detonate too fast. At the very least, they need to be re-evaluated in terms of their role and placements on maps.

I agree with most everything else though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 12

In regards to Vetoed's list...

• Automatic headshots aren't that big of a deal in my opinion. In the beta, the randomness of spread made headshot multipliers way too strong because they worked on shields, but now that it is health only it actually requires a bit more awareness and aiming to hit those headshots, especially when tap firing. Automatics obviously need to be tuned down, but I don't think this is the exact issue.
  • Matchmaking suggestions such as 3v3 starts and widened search parameters wouldn't be needed if 343 would organize their playlists efficiently.
  • Forge maps in matchmaking is a delicate subject, and I've always personally believed that while the community absolutely deserves some love and some time in the spotlight, throwing UGC into permanent playlists isn't healthy for the game's image. A weekend playlist with 5+ community forge maps once a month? Fuck yes.
  • "Incentive to grind" is more of a discussion of 343's failure of a progression system. When compared to a game like Overwatch, Halo 5 essentially rewards the player with... nothing. This topic can be talked about for hours, so let's just say don't fuck it up for Halo 6.
  • Playlist XP/Ranks is a cool concept, but if the base progression system (SR) doesn't even reward players, then this is an addition that is so monumentally low on the list of priorities
  • Ranked 4v4 Snipers is not a good idea. Snipers should be 4v4 on Arena maps, but I wouldn't go as far to say it should be permanent, and it most certainly should not be ranked, in order to preserve the integrity of the ranking system (even though 343 has botched this already, so I guess it doesn't matter)
  • Add "actual Social" is the Cooper argument, and is probably one of the biggest misconceptions in modern gaming. As far as I'm aware, almost all Halo games have always used some form of skill matching, as do most games like Destiny and Call of Duty for social lists. While I do agree that Social playlists must have looser skill matching, stripping away skill matching entirely is not healthy for any hopper.
  • Plasma Caster, as I discussed in the H5 Arena Thread, is grossly misinterpreted by the community as a whole. In the Memories of Reach update, they sped up detonation time and this fundamentally changed the way the weapon functioned, for the worse. The weapon doesn't need to be nerfed via ammo or damage. Read that thread for more lore.
  • Splinter Grenades don't do too much damage, but they do detonate too fast. At the very least, they need to be re-evaluated in terms of their role and placements on maps.

I agree with most everything else though.

You are actually delusional and I hope 343 does not listen to this post
  • Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You are actually delusional and I hope 343 does not listen to this post

You say the sweetest things.

But in reality I have no idea what you are referring to. I asked for a nerf to Splinter Grenades, Automatics, and criticized 343's XP progression system.

I can only assume you are getting triggered over my comments regarding Social skill matching or Ranked Snipers, but thats an entire other conversation that is pretty much irrelevant at this point in H5's lifecycle.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Its not just you. The aiming in H5 is very inconstant. Some say it depends on the server your are on. Others have theories about heavy aim. Pro players have resorted to hitting the start button constantly as some sort of placebo to fix the broken aiming. I have heard that aiming on the PC is god tier compared to the Xbox. Just another issue in a long list of issues that may or may not be addressed by the powers that be. The Halo Council. 

Yeah I mean like I said, I dont think the aiming is too difficult for the most part. Its just more annoying when I hit my first 4 shots perfectly and for some weird reason I literally can't lock on for the fifth shot. I have seen pros slow down their shooting so that doesnt happen, but you can only do that if the opponent isnt looking at you.  Then when I shouldnt be able to lock on because I am in a bad position, it locks me on perfectly almost without me having to do any of the work. At the same time guns like the BR, halo 2 BR, and DMR are just far too easy to use so their has to be some kind of medium. I actually don't mind easy to use power weapons (yes we've established Im alone here) but when I have the pistol and my oppoents has the BR, H2 BR, or the DMR I would say I win the 1v1 5 percent of the time and thats just not right. Unless you have an awesome shot winning a battle against those guns with the starting weapons is such a task.

Back from Thanksgiving break. This thread is trying to perform life-saving surgery on the already dead.  Let it die.

screen480x480.jpeg

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

• Automatic Headshots - Autos in general need a nerf. If the autos received a damage nerf across the board, I could maybe see a reason to keep the headshot bonuses, but only if the spread wasn't tight enough to where every bullet that comes out of the game is magnetized to the head and creates these insane kill times in relation to the current utility weapon.

Yeah no doubt. Magnetism, strength, and a bunch of other factors have to be discussed in terms of automatic strength. Halo 5's automatics, despite being absolutely god awful in their current state, are actually more skill dependent (when isolated) than they have ever been in Halo.

• Forge maps in matchmaking - Disagree. We don't need to go all out and add 20 Forge maps to every playlist, but I can assure you if 343 threw some contests for maps to get put into matchmaking, we would have a lot more quality maps in rotation. Instead you have maps like Overgrowth, Riptide, Stasis, and Torque where people cannot stand playing and quit the build before the match starts.

I don't think Forge maps should be our tool to inject more competitive maps into matchmaking though, that seems like a cop out. I think UGC should be featured in a myriad of ways, but the matchmaking experience should reflect the image of the 'core' game. If you add UGC into official hoppers, it creates unfamiliarity and can confuse new or infrequent players. Rotational Community playlists, I feel, are a better way of showcasing and celebrating dope content that people have made.

• Incentive to grind - Agreed I suppose, but doesn't mean they can't potentially think of something and implement it. Honestly, being able to "buy" cool armor with RP would an incentive in itself, which imo, should have been in the game from the beginning.

Yup, an in-game currency is one of the popular ways to incentivize progression. Something needs to be done.

• Playlist XP/Ranks - Those playlist XP/Ranks are a no-risk implementation. Having some type of medal next to your gamertag is reward enough in most people's eyes. Maybe add XP or RP boost for achieving a new rank or something (literally me spitballing with 5 seconds of thinking).

My only qualm with Playlist XP ranks is the fact that you start to oversaturate the presentation of progression. If I finish a game of ranked Arena and I have my XP Rank, my Playlist XP Rank, and my CSR Rank, things start to get overcomplicated and one item could draw away importance of another. I definitely think it would be cool though to have rewards based on specific playlists. Reach "X" rank in Grifball and receive an emblem, etc.

• Ranked Snipers - I go back and forth on the ranked vs unranked with snipers to be honest. I was personally a fan of Halo 3's Ranked Team Snipers because whenever I needed to practice my sniper, I would always be able to find matches against the most solid players in the game due to it being ranked. But I'm indifferent about it either way. I think this game needs social playlist in general so whatever. However, fully agree on the map selection. Arena maps, please. Why we're playing 4v4 snipers on these humongous BTB maps are absolutely beyond me.

​I've always been a proponent of two big things in regards to this topic: Minimal Ranked Playlists and Rotational Niche Experiences. I think the most important thing for any game is expanding and enriching the core game. For Halo, this is standard Arena and Warzone play, for Overwatch its adding new heroes and maps to 6v6, etc.

When you take a game mode like Infection, Grifball, and even Snipers, you are creating splinter groups that little by little will erode the population of the core game. That's why I would much prefer these modes to be rotational (alongside cool rewards and gameplay incentives!). It makes no sense to me that Grifball, Infection, Action Sack, and more are all permanent, but Snipers is rotational. The fact of the matter is that Halo has so many different niche/splinter audiences that 343 can't satisfy them all because they don't have enough resources, and this makes their game look like Frankenstein: The Shooter.

• Add "actual Social" - I definitely disagree here. Social playlist in Halo 3 were almost twice more populated than every other playlist for a specific reason. It's the same reason why towards the beginning of this game when the "Social" playlist had ranks (i.e. I could go to halowaypoint and see that I had a Champ 11 in Team Doubles when it first released) this meant that I was no longer able to play with anyone that was way below my skill level for fun. This whole stigma that "Social playlist are not your statting playground" is so overused and inaccurate. Yes, unfortunately you will run into a group of sweaties every now and then. That's literally how every game on Xbox Live works. Majority of the matches are fine though. Hence why games like CoD and Battlefield are extremely popular; you can just get in and play with your friends of all skill levels at any time. This is more important than you think!

Well, first we have to establish the fact that matchmaking systems aren't as cut and dry as "turn on/off skill matching". I'm not suggesting that they literally allow CSR to exist in the background, that was and would still be terrible. There should be looser skill matching but the bigger issues, in my opinion, are presentation, such as displaying Social stats separately from Ranked stats, and having more Social playlists as a whole.

• Splinter Grenades - These grenades are possibly one of the dumbest additions to the game. They are way too damaging considering the fact they freaking kill you on impact haha. That and the fact you can touch like two the little pieces and lose 75% of your shields. I'd be fine with that part if I were able to take out my AR and just shoot them down. Makes no sense why I'm forced to wait for 8 seconds for it disappear because of an indestructible set of floating mines. 

Like I said, you wouldn't have to worry about damage with these if they just slowed down the detonation time. They are meant to be a zoning tool, so you should get hit hard if you walk through them, but the insta kill meta of Splinters is obviously broken. However, you bring up a cool idea that would be a cool quirk to add; if you have a plasma weapon like SR or BPR, you could shoot splinters to eliminate them.

Thanks for responding politely!

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'll never understand the reluctance for forge maps in matchmaking. They're high fidelity to the point where spectators watching Halo who haven't ever played it wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a dev map.

When we've got torque overgrowth riptide and stasis in matchmaking I think we've hit rock bottom.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'll never understand the reluctance for forge maps in matchmaking. They're high fidelity to the point where spectators watching Halo who haven't ever played it wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a dev map.

It's probably due to a lot of people not being used to having decent forge maps and maybe a stigma of assuming forge maps are inferior to a dev map which was true in a lot of cases with past games. In Reach, it was all gray maps and H4 was better, but you could still tell it was a forge map. With H5, we can make maps that are on par with a dev map or even better than one besides not having a customized skybox, so I wouldn't be against having them in MM.

We shouldn't have permanent niche playlists, despite the Halo community having ALWAYS consisted of a bunch of smaller niches because it "creates splinter groups?" Sorry, bud, but those groups already exist and they want a playlist. Infection kids don't give two shits about Team Arena. Grifball kids don't either. I as a competitive player wanted a social playlist that resembles the Arena settings. None of these needs are filled with Warzone as the only permanent casual experience. The only thing that "unifying" everything with stupid compromises and a limited selection of mostly bad maps accomplishes is making sure that literally NO ONE is happy. Your vision also happens to be the polar opposite of the structure of the most successful Halo game to date. Interesting.

​You are advocating for a vision of Halo that has never existed, based on completely different games with completely different audiences and histories. It doesn't make any sense. Aside from the limited number of ranked playlists. That I agree on.

That's the problem though, that format of supporting a bunch of niche groups cannot be sustained anymore. No other game does it, except Call of Duty, and their population is dwindling just as ours did and they are suffering because of it. Halo had so much flexibility and liberty to do as it pleased during the H2/H3 era, but now the gaming market is so saturated, none of those experiences on their own is good enough to warrant coexistence. One can argue that Halo 3 was the most successful title because of this, but the current "giants" of gaming say otherwise.

Better eSports formats arose

Better ranking systems were created

More uniform communities have proven successful

absolutely get what you're saying, Halo has always been about niche experiences, ever since CE in fact. But with Halo not being a top dog in any regards (sales, population, esports), we don't have the wiggle room that we used to in trying to promote that format. I'm the biggest fan of BTB, Infection, etc, but none of them on their own are conducive for growing Halo's image as a whole. The numbers for Grifball, Infection, and more may be positive, but is that even relevant when there is no carryover or synonymy between those audiences? Isolated Infection players certainly aren't buying REQ packs.

My (end goal) vision for Halo seems so bombastic and improbable because it contradicts everything our developers have done in the past, but my belief is that they were really digging a deeper hole that Halo is struggling to get out of in the present. There never has really been a "core" of Halo, it's always been some anthological collection of completely unrelatable experiences, and if developers attempt to maintain that I just see them spreading themselves too thin.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo was top dog because it offered so many experiences.

There is no actual evidence to prove this though. Halo was the top dog and had those things, Halo wasn't the top dog because it had those options.

I'm just observing the current gaming environment and I see no successful title emulating what Halo presented in 2009. There are ways to maintain niche experiences and keep things fresh and exciting, but throwing it all on the table and making everyone feel entitled to more and more isn't healthy for a developer and their resources.

• Downvote (-1) 1

There is no actual evidence to prove this though. Halo was the top dog and had those things, Halo wasn't the top dog because it had those options.

Well one thing for sure is that when halo was no longer the top god, it didn't have those things.

And to find a correlation, all you need is 2 points.

And those are, that halo was the top dog BECAUSE it had those things, and when it was no longer the top dog, it was it DIDN'T have those things

I'm just observing the current gaming environment and I see no successful title emulating what Halo presented in 2009. There are ways to maintain niche experiences and keep things fresh and exciting, but throwing it all on the table and making everyone feel entitled to more and more isn't healthy for a developer and their resources.

Response to the bold: Halo 5 had none of these options at launch and now can't crack the Top 10 most played games when H3 was there for 3+ years. 

The thing you're forgetting is also that no Halo has tried to emulate what Halo presented in 2009. The population in any Halo that has been missing the core experiences that H3 had has had massive population drop offs, whether it be a lack of ranks/social/griffball/infection/etc. Every niche community in Halo may feel entitled as you claim, but so what? They help the game grow. 

Also, you do know CoD and Halo are not even remotely similar in popularity right? And CoDs population decline is due to the devs not listening to the fan base, reminds me of Halo in the last 7 years honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Well one thing for sure is that when halo was no longer the top god, it didn't have those things.

And to find a correlation, all you need is 2 points.
And those are, that halo was the top dog BECAUSE it had those things, and when it was no longer the top dog, it was it DIDN'T have those things

I'm going to disagree with that, though. Halo continued to and still does have niche experiences. If anything, Halo: Reach splintered the audience even further (perhaps the correlation is pointing in favor of my argument...)

Grifball, Action Sack, and Infection all became permanent in Reach and have been since. Halo 4 had all three and now Halo 5 does as well. So while Halo 3 had more of a choice in terms of Ranked and Social, the experience was more uniform than any Halo title that followed it. The community became more entitled and each audience began demanding more and more.

I'm a Halo 3 kid and could rotate between those fun playlists all day long, but from an analytical standpoint I just can't see how that format can be efficient in present day gaming.

Response to the bold: Halo 5 had none of these options at launch and now can't crack the Top 10 most played games when H3 was there for 3+ years.

Halo 3 had none of those things either at launch, nor were there any major shooters competing with it other than Call of Duty 4, which didn't blow up until later on in H3's lifecycle.

Halo was top dog because it offered so many experiences. I could try my ass off in MLG, chill in BTB, play casually in Infection, and so on. Halo used to offer multiple ways to play, and (gameplay aside) the lack of these things will drive the people who want to play them away. Not everyone who plays Halo is MLG xXSnip3r pr0Xx, nor should they be. Halo used to be able to cater to all these different niche communities almost flawlessly (H3), but now people are complaining because there is no Social experience for the stuff that is Ranked, such as a Ranked and Unranked Team Slayer.

This is an awesome response. I personally think there are many issues within the game, but people have a short memory with halo 3. They forget how terribly awful connection was online in halo 3. They forget how distusting some of the maps added to Team Slayer/doubles was. They forget that the power drain and bubble shield was no better than a splinter nade. But I loved halo 3 through and through because of everything you just said. Outside of small in game flaws I could play different playlists for hours and have such a great experience. I essentially go back and forth between arena and FFA on Halo 5 and have fun, but Im sweating 100 percent of the time. I remember playing halo 3 drunk all the time in college and having a blast, now if I hop on halo 5 drunk I get abolsutely murdered because I am somewhat of a high level on most playlist. I truly believe halo 5 can be close to halo 3 but needs so many changes outside of just the in game play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to disagree with that, though. Halo continued to and still does have niche experiences. If anything, Halo: Reach splintered the audience even further (perhaps the correlation is pointing in favor of my argument...)

Grifball, Action Sack, and Infection all became permanent in Reach and have been since. Halo 4 had all three and now Halo 5 does as well. So while Halo 3 had more of a choice in terms of Ranked and Social, the experience was more uniform than any Halo title that followed it. The community became more entitled and each audience began demanding more and more.

I'm a Halo 3 kid and could rotate between those fun playlists all day long, but from an analytical standpoint I just can't see how that format can be efficient in present day gaming.

Halo 3 had none of those things either at launch, nor were there any major shooters competing with it other than Call of Duty 4, which didn't blow up until later on in H3's lifecycle.

Halo 3 also competed against and stayed with CoD4 AND MW2. 

Halo 3 also had ranks and social at launch. Halo 3 also had the infection gametype at launch. Halo 3 also had forge at launch. Halo 3 also had a decent theater mode at launch. 

From an analytical standpoint catering to the different wants and needs of your fanbase will have positive effects on the population, popularity, and success of your game. 

Also, Reach basically threw everything Halo had established itself with and threw it out the window with loadouts and armor abilities. Something that was and is very un-Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It's all about what's at launch mate, you can't meet up to that purchase upfront, people are gonna leave.

Halo 3 also competed against and stayed with CoD4 AND MW2

Well duh, the colossal population isn't going to vanish overnight haha. They developed a loyal fanbase from H1-3, they were going to be able to survive for a while.

Halo 3 also had ranks and social at launch. Halo 3 also had the infection gametype at launch. Halo 3 also had forge at launch. Halo 3 also had a decent theater mode at launch. 

It had the Infection gametype, but it didn't have a playlist, that is a huge differentiation we need to note. This is another HUGE pillar of the argument I am making that I don't want people to misinterpret. I want UGC (Grifball, Infection, Action Sack) to have a role in Halo. But when it is put on the same pedestal as the core game/standard matchmaking, it causes the issues that I have brought up.

A community-created audience should thrive and grow on its own. When the developer steps in and puts resources towards those audiences, that's when they become entitled and shit spirals out of control.

From an analytical standpoint catering to the different wants and needs of your fanbase will have positive effects on the population, popularity, and success of your game. 

Sure, but let me ask you this. How many audiences and fanbases can you cater to before you run out of steam?

Also, Reach basically threw everything Halo had established itself with and threw it out the window with loadouts and armor abilities. Something that was and is very un-Halo.

I'm talking about non-gameplay related choices, but yes, shitty gameplay was certainly a factor for Halo's downfall.

Response in red.

And for everyone, I'm not claiming old Halo's were terrible or made the wrong decisions for its time, but the format they executed is nonexistent today, and I think that says something. There were lots of reasons that Halo went downhill but the fact is that 343 cannot keep up with the amount of audiences that Halo has presently.

It's all about what's at launch mate, you can't meet up to that purchase upfront, people are gonna leave.

But Halo 3 had none of those things at launch?  :thinking: In fact, Grifball and the other niche modes were brought in as rotational experiences as to not upset the balance of standard matchmaking. Additionally, they were Double XP weekends which provided a fun and rewarding incentive to hop into the experience, even if it wasn't your cup of tea.

I should really be directing my hate more towards Halo: Reach, because Halo 3 did a decent job at maintaining the core image of the game, but still had a slew of contrasting experiences (SWAT/Snipers/Arena/BTB)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Getting called trash by NA kids, after playing on an NA Server, where every 2nd melee wouldn't reg, and don't even get me started on how pointless AR duels are on a laggy game, as they sat in corners with the Scattershot and Storm Rifle.

I don't know why I keep trying to play. Its the same thing over and over.

Play expanded because of dead Oceanic population.

Get angry because of how shit game is on laggy connection.

Rant on Team beyond.

Repeat.

I envy the Oceanic CoD community. They have a game that doesn't die after 8 months, and can find games with good connection every hour of the day, and not from 7pm-2am, (Seriously, thats the window, and that window is only open if you have a to4, otherwise you won't get  game, the only people playing are always in the same To4)

Even Warzone is on life support, if not dead now, and that was the one playlist you could find games in whenever. If you are lucky enough to find a game, its agaisnt a farming team, and you spend all your time in the Home base anyway.

But Halo 3 had none of those things at launch?  :thinking: In fact, Grifball and the other niche modes were brought in as rotational experiences as to not upset the balance of standard matchmaking. Additionally, they were Double XP weekends which provided a fun and rewarding incentive to hop into the experience, even if it wasn't your cup of tea.

I should really be directing my hate more towards Halo: Reach, because Halo 3 did a decent job at maintaining the core image of the game, but still had a slew of contrasting experiences (SWAT/Snipers/Arena/BTB)

people still could forge, and have a working theater, and have a good campaign, and have their gamemodes at launch.

Just that grifball is a variant.

• Upvote (+1) 1