CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I definitely think there are mixed opinions there. I don't think everyone at the studio, even though they work there are favour of all the changes that are made to franchise. 

I am just thinking of the Group that I have at school now (and we are making a game), and we have a lot disagreements but at the end of the day we have to pick one of the options. Either there is a majority vote or we have to settle at something all are okey with which could be for example (not sprint, and not one walk speed but something based on the weapons you have which is something in the middle).

Things are being brought up and there are discussions at 343 so there are differing opinions there. We don't really know who has what opinion but I believe someone that has worked on Halo 1 and 2 will be the most likely person to have opinions where he will accept such a direction. 

I'm sure not everyone at 343 thinks the same way but just because he was part of the OG Halo development doesn't mean he still thinks that this is what Halo should be like, I hope I'm wrong with my pessimism but up until I have anything concrete to show me that he is going to try to take a more traditional road I'm expecting him to be in line with 343s former vision for Halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

haven't been on halo forums in months... come back and see josh is leaving 343...irony at its best.

Snagged this from Akai on NeoGAF.

To recap things that were happening in the last few months at 343i:

- Kevin Franklin, Brian Lemon and Doug Barnes leave 343i to make their own studio "First Strike Games".

- Brad Welch leaves 343i and goes to Visceral Games.

- Frank O'Connor gets promoted to Franchise Creative Director.

- Andy "Bravo" Dudynsky gets promoted to Senior Producer.

- Brian "Ske7ch" Jarrard joins 343i and becomes the new Community Manager.

- Dan Ayoub gets promoted to Studio Head.

- Josh Holmes leaves 343i to pursue indie development.

- Chris Lee gets promoted to "Studio Head of FPS Game Development"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Josh Holmes leaves and is replaced by the guy that headed up H4 and H5......

Just another article where I got slightly excited followed by just being let down. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Snagged this from Akai on NeoGAF.

To recap things that were happening in the last few months at 343i:

- Kevin Franklin, Brian Lemon and Doug Barnes leave 343i to make their own studio "First Strike Games".

- Brad Welch leaves 343i and goes to Visceral Games.

- Frank O'Connor gets promoted to Franchise Creative Director.

- Andy "Bravo" Dudynsky gets promoted to Senior Producer.

- Brian "Ske7ch" Jarrard joins 343i and becomes the new Community Manager.

- Dan Ayoub gets promoted to Studio Head.

- Josh Holmes leaves 343i to pursue indie development.

- Chris Lee gets promoted to "Studio Head of FPS Game Development"

so basically halo is done.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You know what I dont get, in the 15th anniversary "moments and memories" video, they talk about stuff which they loved in previous games, such as Bonnie Ross saying she loved the warthog in CE and the sandbox style level etc... But then here comes Halo 5, with absolutely no such level at all.

I mean at least Halo 4 had something slightly similar (granted it was shit, barely open, and not sandbox at all).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great job, here's some love on twitter!

I wholeheartedly appreciate that man, thank you!! I had a ton of fun making it.

Really glad everyone has been enjoying it! 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why honor someone who was such pro sprint? He didn't even take the forum polls seriously when people voted here. Very dismissive when he replied on twitter about the results.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I think Josh is awesome creatively speaking. Him and the 343 team make very good video games, but the problem lies in the fact that they're making them for the Halo franchise's unique mould and ridiculously high standards that Bungie set years ago. Now that he's off to pursue indie development, I'm excited to see his creative prowess shine in the context where he has total artistic freedom. He's unbound from Halo, so the sky's the limit. As for the new roster at 343's management, I'm not entirely sure of the effect Chris Lee will have on future Halo FPSs. This will be a new start, and I hope he and the rest of 343 will use this opportunity and the insurmountable feedback from Halo 5 to return the series to form. (If anyone could give me a quick briefing on Lee's activity and contributions to the franchise, that would be cool.) I also believe now that 343 is on an upward climb, what with the hiring of Ske7ch amd the stark improvement to the dev/community communication. Things are still looking pretty bleak for Halo, but I think it's getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why honor someone who was such pro sprint? He didn't even take the forum polls seriously when people voted here. Very dismissive when he replied on twitter about the results.

Probably the most interactive member of 343 next to Tom French.

Regardless of Halo 5's design choices, I like him for that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some of you guy's would be surprised at how much some other developers are engaged in their communities. I'm not saying anything negative about any 343 employees, but they honestly have very little community interaction comparatively. 

We still have radar in competitive, still no aiming fix, still have OP autos, etc. If they really listened or cared about the actual competitiveness of their game this wouldn't be the case. They listened to the ignorant "settings should be the same to bring new people in" argument over the other, more informed "settings should be as competitive as possible" argument. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Probably the most interactive member of 343 next to Tom French.

Regardless of Halo 5's design choices, I like him for that.

I'd argue Frankie is more active, but maybe thats because I like to read GAF more. 

I'd argue Frankie is more active, but maybe thats because I like to read GAF more. 

I think he means constructive discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So, I have to admit, earlier this week when we got news of the Anniversary Throwback playlist not being actual "classic" settings, it really spoke to me on how underrated I truly believe the Evolved Settings we created are. It's easily some of the most fun I've had on Halo 5.

With that being said, I took it upon myself to put together a montage consisting of the individuals who helped make the Evolved Settings a reality!

Now, while I know for a fact I'm not the best video editor in the world, I had an absolute blast making this video and I hope you guys enjoy it! Beyond%20Laugh.png

Without further ado, check out the Evolved Montage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU1xwNYZ_5c

I definitely just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been involved with the Evolved Settings and special thanks to for helping with the video and providing the Evolved logo and thank you to @SMARTAN 427 for the creation of these settings.

Thanks to the others involved in the video as well!

@arglactable @OG Nick @Killmachine @My Namez BEAST @Mythik Nick @S0UL FLAME @Stoppabl3 @cH_.

Enjoy guys!

Once again thanks for this great video. I think that you should also post this in the Evolved thread.

We work with ASTRO, ASTRO works with HCS. So we are using those rule-sets for 4v4's.

We may look to try something like these for Premium tournaments in the future though.

Ah, I see. Many thanks for the info.

Josh Holmes leaves and is replaced by the guy that headed up H4 and H5......

When you cut off the hydra's head...

Anyway, I don't like Halo's direction, but I did appreciate Josh coming here on occasion and speaking his thoughts. I hope Chris does the same, but I'm not getting my hopes up. 

I get the feeling that things are gonna be a bit more closed doors from here on in with 343, but we'll see.

Today is a good day.

Your expression when you came here is burned onto my screen, and it's not the regular kind of smile it's more diabolical, and teethy. The kind that isn't seen, but... felt.