CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I personally just hate the premise that when it comes to 343, we literally sit here and do all of the testing and work for them, tell them exactly what they need to do, and they just cannot do a single thing correctly. It blows my mind.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't me bashing 343, but I honestly wish I could just see what's going on in their heads. I just can't wrap my mind around the decisions they make. Then what makes it worse is when we get told these very simple things "may or may not be" possible (not in reference to Ske7ch, this is just in general).

I don't.. I just don't get it man.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I don't think BR starts are the problem, it's just the wide-open terrible maps that are the problem.  Pistol starts would turn into H3, where BRs were ineffective and sniper became way too powerful; even with reduced BR/DMR pickups I just don't think pistol starts would work for H5.  Also it would make vehicles even more OP.

BR starts are entirely a problem. Way too easy, and it kills the maps and their flow which were designed around Magnum starts. If Snipers are an issue with Magnum starts, which they already are everywhere else, just DROP the two sniper map layouts, because they don't work with a Sniper that's easy as dicks. And on top of that, if you need vehicle killers, put many Plasma Pistols, Hydras, Rockets, Spartan Lasers and the like on the map, and STOP putting Sword variants of vehicles on the maps. It's not an issue with Magnums. It's an issue with shit map design.

• Upvote (+1) 9

What's kinda sadistic about the whole thing is they constantly listen to the community. One of the only reasons something like a classic playlist in Halo 5 would come to fruition at all really, is from observing the demand. We can at least confirm they've done that much. Same happened with Firefight.

But again, they like to make sure that you notice they've responded to your demands, before doing it wrong. Like they want it to sting more that they're ignoring you. This is just me being creative though. I don't like to think it's possible for a company that constantly listens to still be this out of touch.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I personally just hate the premise that when it comes to 343, we literally sit here and do all of the testing and work for them, tell them exactly what they need to do, and they just cannot do a single thing correctly. It blows my mind.

And don't get me wrong, this isn't me bashing 343, but I honestly wish I could just see what's going on in their heads. I just can't wrap my mind around the decisions they make. Then what makes it worse is when we get told these very simple things "may or may not be" possible (not in reference to Ske7ch, this is just in general).

Exactly. People can spend dozens, even hundreds of hours LITERALLY DOING THEIR JOB FOR THEM, and somehow they think slapping the H5 CE Pistol on vanilla H5 and playing on Forge remakes is even remotely a good idea. It's astounding. Honestly, I wish I could get a glimpse into whatever meeting or something spawned this monstrocity. Maybe a documentary.

The best rationale I've seen is that they're afraid that a playlist that actually resembles real Halo would make their vanilla game look bad. Beyond that, it's just completely nonsensical.

• Upvote (+1) 9

It's simple. They lack technical skill and they don't like "Halo".

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's simple. They lack technical skill and they don't like "Halo".

I'm not sure exactly what technical skill has with their ability to change custom games settings they themselves put in the game or, crazy thought here, literally just DOWNLOAD THE GAMETYPES FROM THE FILE BROWSER. I'm honestly at a loss with this. It's so ludicrous.

I can't really disagree on the second point, however.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not sure exactly what technical skill has with their ability to change custom games settings they themselves put in the game or, crazy thought here, literally just DOWNLOAD THE GAMETYPES FROM THE FILE BROWSER. I'm honestly at a loss with this. It's so ludicrous.

When they say they may or may not be able to do things that would be easy for any other dev, I instantly think it's a lack of technical skill. Why are all of 343's Halo games plagued with UI and matchmaking bugs which are never resolved(especially MCC)? Bungie's Halo games all had excellent/smooth UI's and matchmaking. 343's technical skill doesn't hold a candle to Bungie's.

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to say how incredibly disheartening this is.

Even after all these years and a history of colossal fuck-ups, 343 was given another chance to fix things with the fans of the original Halo games. And what do we get? Another middle finger straight to our faces. They either know how stupid this is and genuinely hate Halo or (even more scary) they really are as incompetent as people suspect and have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

They are honestly the worst AAA developer in the entire world and they are so damn lucky to be backed by Microsoft, because any independent studio operating like this would have shut down a long time ago.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Lmao...

Why is anyone still playing this game? (Not trying to be smug, genuine question.)

If I want a Warzone experience, I'd play a game that does it better like Battlefield. 

If I want a competitive experience, I'd play a game that does it better like CSGO.

If I want a mobile experience, I'd play a game that does it better like the recent CoDs.

What unique experience does Halo offer anymore?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Lmao...

Why is anyone still playing this game? (Not trying to be smug, genuine question.)

If I want a Warzone experience, I'd play a game that does it better like Battlefield. 

If I want a competitive experience, I'd play a game that does it better like CSGO.

If I want a mobile experience, I'd play a game that does it better like the recent CoDs.

I like Halo 5's gameplay more than those games.

Fuck me I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Lmao...

I feel like a lot of it is familiarity and the community. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lmao...

Even if those other games do things "better" than Halo does, I'll still play Halo, because I enjoy Halo. I enjoy Warzone occasionally because, while taking a dip into Battlefield territory, it's still a cool Halo twist on something I like already. "Competitive experiences" can come in many forms as well. Like CS:GO's competitive merit, and older Halo's competitive merits are entirely different. I don't think that in a world of FPS' that play radically differently from one another, with their own merits, there's a single definitive "competitive FPS", you know? Granted, that doesn't mean I think Halo 5's competitive (Fuck no, it ain't), but to say other things do competitive settings better when it's an entirely different ballgame just seems flawed to me. And now, mobility. I'll be honest, I DO find thrusters and the like to be frustrating, but unlike CoD which takes movement to an extreme, I like how Halo's movement options are still at least grounded. You're not jetpacking up, or anything. The detriments keep your feet on the floor, at least, and aren't a super radical thing.

However, to top it off, I just like playing Halo due to its aesthetic. It's unique, colorful and has its own style in comparison to everything else on the market. The way it does things are similar to other games, sure, but still different in their own ways and enjoyable on their own. I do find that people bring up the "x does it better" a lot, which I can get, but in the same breath, don't go "how did x do it differently" and go off of that. Warzone's a pretty big example of that, where, you can feel the Battlefield influence, but it's obvious there's an insane twist to it that's unlike Battlefield, like, say, AI/boss encounters. And you could take that twist, and improve/expand upon it while still bringing new experiences and the like to the table. I get why people also sorta hate how a game will take an element from another and merge it into its own thing, but I also do see that as a launchpad to make new things, like Warzone could be. I just think it'd take a dev who'd be willing to make constant changes to the game/formula to make it work, and that isn't the game's fault necessarily that it can't/won't reach that potential.

I dunno, little rant. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well, in fairness, the insane twist that Warzone brought to the Battlefield formula was being garbage instead of good, so there's that. :simms:

Harr harr. Sooooooper funny. :bman:

(after reading the new bulletin and the classic playlist bs etc)

I think I've reached the point from being a fanboy of the series to this just becoming another gaming series I play. Halo 1-3 were godlike for me even with their faults, and ODST and Reach aren't bad spin-offs. No point on talking about the recent titles.

With the 15th Anniversary coming up it just seems like a perfect time to finally embrace it sadly. Forgot who said it, but I didn't give up on Halo, it gave up on me. Sorry to be a damper to some, if you love the direction or Halo 5 - more power to you and I hope you enjoy the games to come. Wish I could say the same anymore.

As long as 343 is at the helm, Halo will continue to be mediocre.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lmao...

That last line really hits you about how much Halo has been messed with. I loved the original trilogy because it was something completely different and unique to itself.

The sound, art style, gameplay and mechanics were in a league of its own. Even if it was an arena shooter, its definitely not a traditional arena shooter. Its completely different to UT, Doom or Quake or whatever else you'd class an arena shooter.

Its completely lost all its uniqueness now. I really miss the old zoom, no sprint, completely unique art style, and the general simplicity of the old games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like Halo 5's gameplay more than those games.

Fuck me I guess.

Same. I enjoy having to be accurate and aim for the head with weapons. Halo is pretty unique when it comes to that type of gunplay in the FPS scene right now.

• Downvote (-1) 1