CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What he says sounds plausible to me, if only because I think it's way more likely that Microsoft is responsible for the recent problems with the franchise than it is that 343 is just flat out incompetent. I'll criticize 343 ALL day long for their art style change or for Halo 4 or how they've handled the settings change debate, but I honestly think it's much more likely that Microsoft asked for more than 343 could deliver with the MCC than it is that 343 just handed off MCC and was like "we think it's good to go....?" And with Master Chief and Halo being Microsoft's baby, I'm SURE they had a freak out moment that caused them to pull more strings with the franchise than they normally would have. Just my $0.02

Edit: forgot to mention this in my original post, but it wouldn't be the first time MS has pulled these kinds of shennanigans with the Halo franchise (Halo 2)

This would explain also the exodus of story guys at 343, the major incohesion of the story of Halo 5, why 343 did not hire more story guys for Halo 5, but left writing for Reed. Btw He is still @ 343, dunno if hes still lead writer.

So like is it standard procedure now to fully believe LNG's supposed leak of 343's franchise plans and why Halo 5 turned to shit midway through development? Cuz I see a fair amount of people buying into it despite his only proof being "JUST TRUST ME GUISE".

People believe what they want to believe, take that how you may.

What he says sounds plausible to me, if only because I think it's way more likely that Microsoft is responsible for the recent problems with the franchise than it is that 343 is just flat out incompetent. I'll criticize 343 ALL day long for their art style change or for Halo 4 or how they've handled the settings change debate, but I honestly think it's much more likely that Microsoft asked for more than 343 could deliver with the MCC than it is that 343 just handed off MCC and was like "we think it's good to go....?" And with Master Chief and Halo being Microsoft's baby, I'm SURE they had a freak out moment that caused them to pull more strings with the franchise than they normally would have. Just my $0.02

Edit: forgot to mention this in my original post, but it wouldn't be the first time MS has pulled these kinds of shennanigans with the Halo franchise (Halo 2)

The reason why LNG's  :intel:  makes sense is that, from a business POV, the MCC makes no real sense. Why release all the Halo games together in one for $60, when instead you can just release H2A by itself, then release H3A later on for the same, besides all that surely remaking 4 (5 if you include ODST) games and putting them altogether is far more difficult development wise and its doubtful that 343i really wanted to go that route.

With some Gears horde thrown in the mix occasionally?

I miss playing Gears  :tear:

Man, I've seen talk of Halo being dead since last winter, yet I keep getting good matches. Weird...

Your definition of good is quite different from people with decent standards. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

I know it's a Halo 5 discussion thread, but here's a new Halo Wars 2 vidoc.

Blitz kinda has me scared.  Looks like they found a way to introduce 'req' packs or, 'card' packs if you will. We shall see. Basically Clash Royal's entire design but with proper RTS behind it instead of dumbed down mobile RTS. That video really hammered down on the new Blitz mode so I am calling it now: Blitz will be the equivalent cash grab for Halo Wars as Warzone was for Halo 5. 

To be honest though, I don't really care. I will probably not play much multiplayer, I will probably just casually play through the campaign. Sucks for people who are really into the multiplayer though. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

So why is it that they've retconned the Ark's art style? They got everything else right. Why couldn't they just leave it alone?

Didn't we only see one or two portions of the Ark in Halo 3?

The Hunters in the Dark book gave me the impression that each area is wildly different.

To be honest though, I don't really care. I will probably not play much multiplayer, I will probably just casually play through the campaign. Sucks for people who are really into the multiplayer though. 

It's an RTS on consoles. Trust me, after three months, no matter the quality, the MP community will be near dead. Not even a top-tier RTS (LotR: BFME2) could maintain a thriving MP community for long on consoles.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Didn't we only see one or two portions of the Ark in Halo 3?

The Hunters in the Dark book gave me the impression that each area is wildly different.

It's a builder construct, which can wildly vary, just like the builder architecture did in 1-3, but all their work usually goes by the same core aspects: they're inert and have minimal floating pieces, they're relatively simplistic compared to Warrior Servant architecture, it's very square and angular with use of lots of 45ish and 90ish degree angles, and surfaces are generally very flat and easy to visually process, and to make up for this, there are usually many engravings like lines glyphs and holograms hovering nearby. Halo Wars 2 employs the Warrior Servant design which we already know much about from 343's games. Canonically, the last time we should have seen a location with that kind of art style would have been Requiem, with Frankie even explaining why the planet looked different from the first 3 games' Forerunner art direction. Obviously that's not the case, and it's more along the lines of 343 trying to change Halo for no goddamn reason other than to "maek it thur owen".
  • Upvote (+1) 5

It's a builder construct, which can wildly vary, just like the builder architecture did in 1-3, but all their work usually goes by the same core aspects: they're inert and have minimal floating pieces, they're relatively simplistic compared to Warrior Servant architecture, it's very square and angular with use of lots of 45ish and 90ish degree angles, and surfaces are generally very flat and easy to visually process, and to make up for this, there are usually many engravings like lines glyphs and holograms hovering nearby. Halo Wars 2 employs the Warrior Servant design which we already know much about from 343's games. Canonically, the last time we should have seen a location with that kind of art style would have been Requiem, with Frankie even explaining why the planet looked different from the first 3 games' Forerunner art direction. Obviously that's not the case, and it's more along the lines of 343 trying to change Halo for no goddamn reason other than to "maek it thur owen".

This got super lorey and fast.

Ty.

It's an RTS on consoles. Trust me, after three months, no matter the quality, the MP community will be near dead. Not even a top-tier RTS (LotR: BFME2) could maintain a thriving MP community for long on consoles.

Its also an RTS on PC...

Its also an RTS on PC...

Which is being designed primarily as a console RTS and won't even come close to the complexity of an actual PC RTS.

Don't expect it to have a booming population after a couple of weeks on either platform.

Which is being designed primarily as a console RTS and won't even come close to the complexity of an actual PC RTS.

Don't expect it to have a booming population after a couple of weeks on either platform.

I don't. I just said I planned on casually playing the campaign and didn't give two shits. For people who do want decent multiplayer though, it doesn't look good. 

Yeah, looks like I'm staying away from Blitz. Just wanna play the standard RTS mode.

Couldn't they just make a good RTS and then have Blitz for the tards, like in Halo 5 with Warzone? I don't get it. Dumbing it down ruins any chance of any PC community at all (i.e. the platform where any RTS is likely to have the slightest bit of longevity).

Lolwut? So what if it's "fake"? 

i mean i think it looks cool visually but since it a video game im obviously not going to appreciate it being used as much as i would in a practical movie. like the opening of revenge of the sith was one shot as well for a while but that was all cg, if everything in that shot (or just the important bits not 100% of it) was practical id appreciate it more.

its video game so obviously im never going to see practical but still. its not like it ruins my enjoyment of the scene itself.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i mean i think it looks cool visually but since it a video game im obviously not going to appreciate it being used as much as i would in a practical movie. like the opening of revenge of the sith was one shot as well for a while but that was all cg, if everything in that shot (or just the important bits not 100% of it) was practical id appreciate it more.

its video game so obviously im never going to see practical but still. its not like it ruins my enjoyment of the scene itself.

I don't see what practical effects and CGI would do to shatter the concept of a one shot scene. It's cool in either concept when done properly.

I don't see what practical effects and CGI would do to shatter the concept of a one shot scene. It's cool in either concept when done properly.

it looks cool either way, but I appreciate it more since a one shot scene is much harder to do when there are physical things you're working with.

it looks cool either way, but I appreciate it more since a one shot scene is much harder to do when there are physical things you're working with.

Yeah it's cooler when someone IRL pulls it off as opposed to a team of people who can keep reiterating the scene without having to start from the very beginning again

Just like it's more impressive that someone can beat Doom on ultranightmare than in one go than just nightmare where you can hop in anytime you want wherever you left off.

Edit: It's a bad analogy I know.

This would explain also the exodus of story guys at 343, the major incohesion of the story of Halo 5, why 343 did not hire more story guys for Halo 5, but left writing for Reed. Btw He is still @ 343, dunno if hes still lead writer.

Yeah, I dunno, it just makes sense to me that MIcrosoft is meddling too much with the franchise, and it's causing problems on the dev end. Like I said, criticism where criticism is due with 343, but I would be more than willing to assume that Microsoft has a fair share of responsibility for MCC, the communication disconnect with MCC (I'm sure that 343 isn't allowed to say anything), server issues, story issues, etc. Hopefully they pick up a better writer for 6 than Reed.