CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I have played about 30 games in a span of 4 and a half hours, and I can genuinely say that I enjoy the game. Now with that said, some things I came across need to be fixed...

-If sprint is here to stay, please take away the delay in the time the stick is pressed to when I actually start sprinting.

-Fix the flinch, I know its a glitch, but it is slightly annoying.

-I understand the canon and mechanics behind smart scope, and I generally had no problem using it. But as 343 said it is just normal zoom, so take away the accuracy buff from the AR and SMG while smart scoped.

-Turn down the flare on the prophets ban. I do enjoy having to put it away so I don't become a target, but I also like to enjoy the ability to see.

-Turn up the sniper fire rate a little.

-Have another button do the ground pound, it is much harder to Gandhi hop and crouch jump when it is on the same button/ analog stick.

-Place players according to their CSR. I'm getting fairly annoyed that I'm stuck with players that cannot hold their own in matches that would normally be very close.

-Construct a heavier leaving penalty. This annoys me more than anything when I'm playing and half my team leaves. Even go as far to ban them for a short time when leaving games consistently.

-I know we probably wont see promethean or covy weapons, but add some more weapon variety to the maps.

-Truth doesn't feel the same without a shotgun or something in bottom mid. I hardly ever feel the need to go into the middle unless its for the bane.

-Add something into the center of Empire. Whether it is a weapon or cover, anything so that it isn't dead mans land.

-Continue to tighten up the controls. They feel slightly clunky.

-Just keep up the good work. Halo 5 feels very competitive yet new, and I like it alot.

I look forward to the upcoming weeks.

Someone should let Gandhi know that the biggest competitive FPS out right now has no sprint.

I don't know why anyone takes his opinions seriously or any other pros. We all saw their completely biased opinions when they first played Halo 4. THEY ARE BIASED, THEIR OPINIONS ARE SHIT. People like ninja said halo 4 was a great game, then as soon as it was absolutely clear that the game was failing, IT'S DOG SHIT GUYZ, I ALWAYS SAID SO!!! 

This game is hardly different that Halo 4, yet, miraculously, it's a great game and we should keep an open mind. Tell me how that works out a month after release. 

My impressions after about 4 hours of playing last night, both with people and alone. 

Thruster - Always thought this could be added to Halo if done correctly. It adds to the gunplay/outplay. 

Slide - Useless. Haven't seen anyone do it, and there's no real reason too. In CoDAW it flows with the cool down on the exo boost, but theres no reason for it in Halo 5...altho I haven't tried a shotty slide move I suppose. 

Ground Pound - It's got me killed more times on accident than i've even been able to use it. Its fine in the game I guess, but at least give me an option to turn it off so I can gandhi hop, tuck my legs in on smaller jumps, and not have it activate when i'm crouching around incoming names. 

Clamber - Didn't know how i'd feel about this, but it's honestly not bad. It can stay IMO. 

Sprint - HATED it in Halo 4, didn't like it in Reach, but it feels like it fits in Halo 5. My main reason for disliking sprint in Halo is because it didn't fit well and wasn't half as fun as old school Halo. With Halo 5, after playing a few MCC rounds at the end of the night, I almost feel like its as fun as old school Halo to me now. It's just there if you need it now, doesn't draw attention to itself like in Halo 4. Also, I was honestly getting away from kills way more with thruster/clamber/GP so I guess if you wanna take sprint out for that then we just gotta strip the game back down to Halo 1 again. I'd say add 5-10% to movement speed and i'd be set. 

Maps - Loving the 2 maps so far. Didn't know how i'd feel about Empire but its a lot better than it appeared on streams. If all the maps are this good i'll be happy. 

Weapon balance - The weapons all feel good, powerful, and not so easy to aim as other games. I think BR starts will help with the AR feeling overpowered right now, as you'll be getting shot much further away, and there won't be as many on the maps. 

ADS - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the old scope in Halo, but this didn't bother me as much as I thought. I don't like how it tightens spread, but the scopes themselves look sweet and add to that spectator aspect of the game very well. Doesn't hinder movement either...very important. Basically the hip fire is still 80-90% of the shooting unless you're cross mapping so it's not detrimental. 

Flinch - Apparently its a glitch so i'll refrain from pissing and moaning about this anymore.

Descope - It's back!! Oh how I missed descope:) Feels weird when it's not coupled with the old scope, but i'll deal with it...it's better than no descope.

Stabilizers - I'll never use it so I won't give my opinion on it. Part of the fun in Halo is moving really fast while shooting (Arena) and I want sick snipes/kills when jumping, not floating/not moving. 

Medals/Announcer - So many medals I don't even pay attention to what I get anymore except for multikills. Announcer can be toned down I guess, but that didn't bother me cuz I wasn't getting enough cool medals to hear it anyways lol. 

Spectator Mode - Used it for 1-2 games...shit is fun to use and watch:)

Ranks - Really confused on this one. Matches don't seem well balanced. I'll get close games and then blow outs. I went down just from joining up with friends, went down after beating Onyx players, then went up when I beat silver/gold players. Really don't know whats going on but HOLY CRAP did I miss watching a rank go up. Feels as good as watching my League rank go up:)

User Interface -After the last 2 Halo games, Halo 5s interface is wifey material! Way more clean, concise, just neat. I hate the blocks and pictures everywhere, its distracting and complex for no reason. User interfaces should be clean and to the point with no clutter, its just common sense. Glad to see it headed in this direction again. 

Missing Features -As far as the game itself, not including the obvious ones that are usually mentioned, I would really like a Theater mode. As a content creator its annoying having to live cap everything, delete what has no use, or having to search thru and splice out 10-20 second clips from huge files. Also I would like Theater so I can do more 3rd person stuff whenever I want. Having individual volumes for things in game would be amazing too and would help with creativity. (ex. turning announcer off)

In closing, this game is super fun so far, very spectating friendly (super important for HCS), and I would really like people to continue staying open minded about things. Like I said Thrust gets me outta kills just as much as sprint ever has or will, so if you wanna take out sprint, just take it all out and we'll have Halo 1-3 again...but I don't think they're willing to do that and it honestly doesn't feel needed. I just wanted to have fun playing/watching Halo again and I may actually have that with Halo 5. Halo 4 was boring to play/watch, H2A is boring to play/watch, Halo 5 is doing a decent job so far on both accounts. I can still have as much fun playing/watching Halo 1 as ever, but i'm sure people these days don't have the same connection to it as I do, and I understand that.

tl;dr We're not making the most competitive arena game ever made, we're making a competitive arena game in the year 2014 with a developer run league, and we're finally on the right track i'd say. 

1 more thing - Personally, i've always felt like a faster movement speed (faster than all other Halo games) and no sprint would work fine and be fast paced enough. Somewhere between the fastest Halo game and Quake, cuz once you hit a certain threshold issues arise with aiming accurately on console. Fast walking/sprint aesthetic added to spartan models...thats my personal favorite fix to making Halo gameplay faster paced in that regard. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Watching roy's stream...maybe the biggest takeaway is how incredibly slow paced this game is. Midship games running out of time because people sprint away from every idiotic decision they make. Every time roy is killed, he is frustrated because he knows it's total bull shit. AR'd by some random fucking kid who sprinting and thrusting in out of nowhere. This game is pure garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm having loads of fun but the problem is ( and not trying to sound cocky ) I am shitting on everybody. I haven't even found a close match, I am dominating everything in site. So as of now, I'm loving the game but it's probably for that reason. I need to play real matches in order to figure out how this game is played on a really competitive level. And as far as the guns go, who the hell said it was hard to aim? This isn't hard at all. Snapshots all day, getting perfect medals. Lower aim assist and magnetism would be nice. 

I really don't have a problem with the ground pound. 

I really don't mind the spartan charge. 

I really don't mind clamber.

I like empire. The angles are sick. It's the perfect size. Still bigger, but with sprint getting forced down our neck, not bad.

I like Truth ( but I am with Gandhi. Get rid of bottom mid jump )

The fact that it does not take ten years to aim your gun when you get out of sprint is the best headache relief ever. 

I do agree, aiming should be faster and almost instant again. I can still get my quickscopes but it seems when I zoom in with snipe, the transition to zoom is instant but the cosmetic fluff on the HUD takes forever to show up and has even blocked my vision for my shot. It's weird. So fix the aim to instant rather than this slower stuff. Also, it's easy to snipe. imo, sniper should never have aim assist EVER! I don't give a shit if it is on console and I know people will have my head for saying it. But get rid of the crap. Sniping should be the hardest thing to do in a Halo game.

Switching weapons and reloading faster would be nice.

Get rid of movement acceleration all together.

Sprint has really been toned down. It's not as bullshit, but it's still bullshit. As far as that goes though, if it's here to stay, this is how it should be. With the right players, people don't get away unless they're in a good position on the map in the first place. 

I'm so use to shitting all over newer titles in the franchise, but I can honestly say I don't mind any of this stuff so far. Again, I have done nothing but shit on kids so I may change my mind. Going to keep playing.

My impressions after about 4 hours of playing last night, both with people and alone. 

Thruster - Always thought this could be added to Halo if done correctly. It adds to the gunplay/outplay. 

Slide - Useless. Haven't seen anyone do it, and there's no real reason too. In CoDAW it flows with the cool down on the exo boost, but theres no reason for it in Halo 5...altho I haven't tried a shotty slide move I suppose. 

Ground Pound - It's got me killed more times on accident than i've even been able to use it. Its fine in the game I guess, but at least give me an option to turn it off so I can gandhi hop, tuck my legs in on smaller jumps, and not have it activate when i'm crouching around incoming names. 

Clamber - Didn't know how i'd feel about this, but it's honestly not bad. It can stay IMO. 

Sprint - HATED it in Halo 4, didn't like it in Reach, but it feels like it fits in Halo 5. My main reason for disliking sprint in Halo is because it didn't fit well and wasn't half as fun as old school Halo. With Halo 5, after playing a few MCC rounds at the end of the night, I almost feel like its as fun as old school Halo to me now. It's just there if you need it now, doesn't draw attention to itself like in Halo 4. Also, I was honestly getting away from kills way more with thruster/clamber/GP so I guess if you wanna take sprint out for that then we just gotta strip the game back down to Halo 1 again. I'd say add 5-10% to movement speed and i'd be set. 

Maps - Loving the 2 maps so far. Didn't know how i'd feel about Empire but its a lot better than it appeared on streams. If all the maps are this good i'll be happy. 

Weapon balance - The weapons all feel good, powerful, and not so easy to aim as other games. I think BR starts will help with the AR feeling overpowered right now, as you'll be getting shot much further away, and there won't be as many on the maps. 

ADS - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the old scope in Halo, but this didn't bother me as much as I thought. I don't like how it tightens spread, but the scopes themselves look sweet and add to that spectator aspect of the game very well. Doesn't hinder movement either...very important. 

Flinch - Apparently its a glitch so i'll refrain from pissing and moaning about this anymore.

Descope - It's back!! Oh how I missed descope:) Feels weird when it's not coupled with the old scope, but i'll deal with it...it's better than no descope.

Stabilizers - I'll never use it so I won't give my opinion on it. Part of the fun in Halo is moving really fast while shooting (Arena) and I want sick snipes/kills when jumping, not floating/not moving. 

Medals/Announcer - So many medals I don't even pay attention to what I get anymore except for multikills. Announcer can be toned down I guess, but that didn't bother me cuz I wasn't getting enough cool medals to hear it anyways lol. 

Spectator Mode - Used it for 1-2 games...shit is fun to use and watch:)

Ranks - Really confused on this one. Matches don't seem well balanced. I'll get close games and then blow outs. I went down just from joining up with friends, went down after beating Onyx players, then went up when I beat silver/gold players. Really don't know whats going on but HOLY CRAP did I miss watching a rank go up. Feels as good as watching my League rank go up:)

User Interface -After the last 2 Halo games, Halo 5s interface is wifey material! Way more clean, concise, just neat. I hate the blocks and pictures everywhere, its distracting and complex for no reason. User interfaces should be clean and to the point with no clutter, its just common sense. Glad to see it headed in this direction again. 

Missing Features -As far as the game itself, not including the obvious ones that are usually mentioned, I would really like a Theater mode. As a content creator its annoying having to live cap everything, delete what has no use, or having to search thru and splice out 10-20 second clips from huge files. Also I would like Theater so I can do more 3rd person stuff whenever I want. Having individual volumes for things in game would be amazing too and would help with creativity. (ex. turning announcer off)

In closing, this game is super fun so far, very spectating friendly (super important for HCS), and I would really like people to continue staying open minded about things. Like I said Thrust gets me outta kills just as much as sprint ever has or will, so if you wanna take out sprint, just take it all out and we'll have Halo 1-3 again...but I don't think they're willing to do that and it honestly doesn't feel needed. I just wanted to have fun playing/watching Halo again and I may actually have that with Halo 5. Halo 4 was boring to play/watch, H2A is boring to play/watch, Halo 5 is doing a decent job so far on both accounts. I can still have as much fun playing/watching Halo 1 as ever, but i'm sure people these days don't have the same connection to it as I do, and I understand that.

tl;dr We're not making the most competitive arena game ever made, we're making a competitive arena game in the year 2014 with a developer run league, and we're finally on the right track i'd say. 

Friendly spectating? Game is boring as shit to watch. Players are killed by random shit and it's very slow paced in-between the random fuck all killings.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Gandhi is a joke. 

At this point UT2k4 feels more like Halo than H5 does. 

Gandhi is a sell out who doesn't even have to be a sell out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People not minding sprint and all the other shit, just wait until it's not the new thing anymoreTrust me, I've been there. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

People not minding sprint and all the other shit, just wait until it's not the new thing anymoreTrust me, I've been there. 

History will repeat itself with halo 5.

The poll speaks for itself.. nobody wants sprint in Halo 5. And I find Gandhi pretty selfish calling out his man at the end cause he know he got the connect more than the average Halo fan to get his opinion to the source real quick. 

Friendly spectating? Game is boring as shit to watch. Players are killed by random shit and it's very slow paced in-between the random fuck all killings.

Well no one likes Halo 2 Anniversary and that doesn't have sprint, and it has smaller classic maps...and people still bitch about feeling bullshitted all the time in it lol. At this point i'd like to see 343 carbon copy Halo 1 just to see people bitch about that as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just wait until the honey-moon phase is over. Same development since Halo 3: new game, everyone has fun, get to know game a bit better and play it longer and the fun and competitive appeal is long gone.

Reason: skill level is reduced even further overall but increased in a few areas (like aim-assist). Halo 5 is even more run-and-gun than Halo 4.

Pretty sure I remember most players here loved Adrift and Solace when Halo 4 was just out so I don't take anyone seriously who actually thinks Empire is a good map.

Anyway, the game is still better than all other shooters on consoles. However, I won't spend 300-400 bucks on an xbone and H5 just to enjoy it for two months and then move on.

Why did Gandhi mention adding a spot marker mechanic? I thought no one wanted nade hit markers and thats basically a longer more accurate version of that. I get the appeal and reason, but isn't that just nade markers x10?

Well no one likes Halo 2 Anniversary and that doesn't have sprint, and it has smaller classic maps...and people still bitch about feeling bullshitted all the time in it lol. At this point i'd like to see 343 carbon copy Halo 1 just to see people bitch about that as well. 

Fair point actually. But, as I always say, our game has been fucked with more than most other competitive games (Dota to Dota 2, Starcraft to Starcraft 2, COD, Battlefield, Tekken...) so no wonder we're negative eh?

The ranking system is an absolute mess. I was searching solo and had multiple games were multiple of my teammates drop double digit neg bombs so I place gold with a kd of 2.

Play some games with a buddy of mine who is onyx and we win 13 games in a row with only two of  the enemy team getting more than 20 kills. Until I reach even something remotely comparable to what I've had in previous halos like Onyx 2/3 Im going to have to play atleast 60 or so more games of demolishing bad players because the system didnt rank me correctly.

I think what they should have done was give you your placement rank based on INDIVIDUAL performance. If your teammates are terrible enough and the enemy team decent, often enough there is absolutely no way of you winning the game, but usually, there still is a way to do atleast acceptable individually.

Obviously once you are placed in the correct division individual performance should be replaced with win/loss, but I feel its not correct to use it in placement matches.