CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Wait people already have it on PC?

What do you lot think about it?

Overall it's pretty good. It would play nice with Evolved settings.

A few questionable things...

-The performance is not the best. You can lower settings to get more performance though. 60fps lock is also bad... 

-Some complex forge maps crash the game in some cases. For the most part 16 players games can go very smooth if everyone has decent connection and the map itself doesn't have any problems.

-The Aiming is still very weird to me. Some people say there is still some amount of mouse acceleration even though you can turn it off. There are options to use "raw inputs", or have mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration. I only use raw inputs. I think getting a consistent 60fps is important to aiming because having your framerate jump around can probably affect aiming in this case. Also I feel the small FOV is another reason for weird aiming. It's like shooting through a window.

On a positive note I think custom games are way more consistent than games on the Xbox, there is more "potential" especially for Evolved settings. Aiming is harder with mouse and keyboard so there is more skill gap. I know aiming is the best but hopefully after a few updates and people fine turn their aim settings, aiming will feeling more like an extension of yourself like in other PC games.

Here is some Gameplay of @@Moa and I having a 1v1 lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

We were already informed this would be the case but it sucks to have it confirmed. Excuse me but how in the fuck does this get messed up? Lol. Honestly it agitates me that they could screw up something so important not just on console but have time to hear feedback and then screw it up on PC where almost nobody wants anything other than as close to 1:1 as you can get with what you do with your mouse. I wouldn't be surprised if this was somehow a result of the bad console habit of locking things to FPS where that can be a big no no on PC with variable frame rates. I'm assuming the game isn't allowed past 60 FPS or am I getting ahead of myself?

Hopefully it doesn't feel too weird.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On truth...?  ugh that map is so bad. 

Can't wait to play evolved settings on this.  Hopefully aiming won't be stupid.   I'll have to feel it.

How many times did maps crash.  That's crazy that maps are causing it to crash..

Overall it's pretty good. It would play nice with Evolved settings.

A few questionable things...

-The performance is not the best. You can lower settings to get more performance though. 60fps lock is also bad... 

-Some complex forge maps crash the game in some cases. For the most part 16 players games can go very smooth if everyone has decent connection and the map itself doesn't have any problems.

-The Aiming is still very weird to me. Some people say there is still some amount of mouse acceleration even though you can turn it off. There are options to use "raw inputs", or have mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration. I only use raw inputs. I think getting a consistent 60fps is important to aiming because having your framerate jump around can probably affect aiming in this case. Also I feel the small FOV is another reason for weird aiming. It's like shooting through a window.

On a positive note I think custom games are way more consistent than games on the Xbox, there is more "potential" especially for Evolved settings. Aiming is harder with mouse and keyboard so there is more skill gap. I know aiming is the best but hopefully after a few updates and people fine turn their aim settings, aiming will feeling more like an extension of yourself like in other PC games.

You play PC games with the actual arrow keys instead of WASD?  I saw that "Page Up" is for picking up weapons instead of E....

Forgot to ask:  what is everybody using as their graphics card for this?

I have a crappy old HD6950 from 5 years ago with 1 gig of ram, so i know i need to upgrade.

Everyone else (e.i. the majority) should be able to have ranked Slayer and Ranked objective with vanilla settings- this has been the bread and butter of 4v4 halo since Halo 2.

Just because that is how Bungie did it in Halo 2 and 3 doesn't make it good game design/good matchmaking design.

Just because that is how Bungie did it in Halo 2 and 3 doesn't make it good game design/good matchmaking design.

Sneaky quote move to the proper thread there Infinity.

I half-agree with that.  I think whether or not having separate duplicated ranked and social playlists is a good thing depends entirely on the population and rank distribution of the people playing the game.  Halo 2 and 3 had enough population to drive duplicate playlists with each having quick matchmaking and a good gradient of skill levels.

Only 343 knows if we have enough players for that, which my gut tells me we dont, so in this instance i think  you're right.  But i wish you were wrong haha

Forgot to ask:  what is everybody using as their graphics card for this?

I have a crappy old HD6950 from 5 years ago with 1 gig of ram, so i know i need to upgrade.

titan x sli 

But casuals don't want these settings anyway. Having 2 different settings works best. No one is going to be confused, if they want to get better they will switch, if not, they can keep their ranker/unranked Team OBJ. with 25m radar.

2 settings is the best because the comp settings can be optimized and the casual settings are for everyone else who doesn't want to sweat. Waypoint is always talking about how they hate competitive players as it is, and they hate the compromise too.

Soloing and keep getting put in plat is bloody terrible. Just came on for a night of gaming. Played 2 and already had enough of it.

First game, ctf and one player quit at the start, other goosed. Lost within 2 mins.

Next game, Slayer and two players combined went -27

How are you meant to win???

Soloing and keep getting put in plat is bloody terrible. Just came on for a night of gaming. Played 2 and already had enough of it.

First game, ctf and one player quit at the start, other goosed. Lost within 2 mins.

Next game, Slayer and two players combined went -27

How are you meant to win???

Use those matches to experiment and improve your game. Don't play them with a singular mindset of winning, but rather play them with the mindset of getting better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sneaky quote move to the proper thread there Infinity.

I half-agree with that.  I think whether or not having separate duplicated ranked and social playlists is a good thing depends entirely on the population and rank distribution of the people playing the game.  Halo 2 and 3 had enough population to drive duplicate playlists with each having quick matchmaking and a good gradient of skill levels.

Only 343 knows if we have enough players for that, which my gut tells me we dont, so in this instance i think  you're right.  But i wish you were wrong haha

Minimal ranked playlists are objectively better. It strengthen population pool which in turn means better skill matching and more fair matches frequently. Your rank becomes more important because everyone is fighting for the same thing, and this also leaves room for more Social playlists (Ranked Slayer becomes Social Slayer, SWAT becomes Social, etc.)

But casuals don't want these settings anyway. Having 2 different settings works best. No one is going to be confused, if they want to get better they will switch, if not, they can keep their ranker/unranked Team OBJ. with 25m radar.

2 settings is the best because the comp settings can be optimized and the casual settings are for everyone else who doesn't want to sweat. Waypoint is always talking about how they hate competitive players as it is, and they hate the compromise too.

You have to understand that we are arguing for two entirely different things. You are looking at the situation through the tinted lens given to you by Bungie/343 throughout all of the other Halo titles with their management of playlists/MM/settings.

Context: The current default settings are 343's vision for the game. The utility weapon, radar, sandbox, etc. are their vision and what they think is most competitive (obviously, we may disagree). But the entire game is focused around these settings because that is what 343 believes is competitive, and that is what their game is made of. The healthy argument IS NOT to say "just give us a playlist with what we want". The correct way to approach the situation is to explain to them that they need to modify the entire game itself, not just cater to you.

I would be livid if a separate playlist was created with No Radar or other modified changes for competitive play only. I appreciate a developer who can stick to their guns and make the entire game streamlined and universal, and then edit that universal gameplay through fan feedback (Rocket League, Overwatch, etc.)

Having universal, competitive, vanilla settings is literally one of the most vital parts of maintaining a healthy game. And yes, Call of Duty and CS:GO have separate settings, but they also have millions of players playing their game; they have a bit of wiggle room.

Edit: I wrote this post while covering the PS4 event, so it's pretty poorly written. I can clarify much better

• Upvote (+1) 3

some of the new art for the covenant is good, and some is bad.

I understood what you mean, not everything related to the covenant is unoriginal.

Well... idk, I just don't really like the look of the new covenant

Oh, yeah, that's entirely fine, and I get that. I just found the idea that it's unoriginal to be false.

You have to understand that we are arguing for two entirely different things. You are looking at the situation through the tinted lens given to you by Bungie/343 throughout all of the other Halo titles with their management of playlists/MM/settings.

Context: The current default settings are 343's vision for the game. The utility weapon, radar, sandbox, etc. are their vision and what they think is most competitive (obviously, we may disagree). But the entire game is focused around these settings because that is what 343 believes is competitive, and that is what their game is made of. The healthy argument IS NOT to say "just give us a playlist with what we want". The correct way to approach the situation is to explain to them that they need to modify the entire game itself, not just cater to you.

I would be livid if a separate playlist was created with No Radar or other modified changes for competitive play only. I appreciate a developer who can stick to their guns and make the entire game streamlined and universal, and then edit that universal gameplay through fan feedback (Rocket League, Overwatch, etc.)

Having universal, competitive, vanilla settings is literally one of the most vital parts of maintaining a healthy game. And yes, Call of Duty and CS:GO have separate settings, but they also have millions of players playing their game; they have a bit of wiggle room.

Edit: I wrote this post while covering the PS4 event, so it's pretty poorly written. I can clarify much better

The decision to combine the settings hurt the game in the long run. We have a side who wants radar, and a side who want 25m. We have a side who wants more SR's on the map, and a side who don't. Telling them to change the entire game is the worst option, as it is not likely. Having 2 different playlists worked for Halo, it works for CSGO, it works for COD, why won't it work for Halo now?

Oh wait, the game was hardly catering to anyone on release.

Casuals already hate the competitive player base. Not sure if you've noticed, but they hate us for messing up their settings (very ironic). They want to play Riptide, they want to play Molten, they want Overgrowth, but guess what, the only way they can play them is on settings they don't want.

If it is, why are 2 games that are not doing it have high populations? Catering to both groups is how you maintain an audience, you cant compromise because in the end, it hurts both parties.

and then edit that universal gameplay through fan feedback (Rocket League, Overwatch, etc.)

Too bad 343i doesn't do that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Let's not kid ourselves, even if Team Arena was the only ranked playlist it would still have radar, SRs, shitty settings and no party restrictions.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The decision to combine the settings hurt the game in the long run. 

Not if the settings are good.

Let's not kid ourselves, even if Team Arena was the only ranked playlist it would still have radar, SRs, shitty settings and no party restrictions.

Those are two completely separate issues, that is what people aren't understanding.

Casuals already hate the competitive player base. Not sure if you've noticed, but they hate us for messing up their settings (very ironic). They want to play Riptide, they want to play Molten, they want Overgrowth, but guess what, the only way they can play them is on settings they don't want.

They don't want to play them because they are "Casual Maps". There is no such thing as casual maps. There are good maps, and bad maps.

They want to play them because they are new, and because they are DLC maps.

Imagine what a world it would be where our Sustain maps were given the same treatment as Development cycle maps?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Minimal ranked playlists are objectively better. It strengthen population pool which in turn means better skill matching and more fair matches frequently. Your rank becomes more important because everyone is fighting for the same thing, and this also leaves room for more Social playlists (Ranked Slayer becomes Social Slayer, SWAT becomes Social, etc.)

You made my initial point with your second point.  Ideally, you would be wrong and it would be perfectly viable to have separate playlists with different settings for Halo 5 because we would have a high enough population to support it like CoD and CS have. This is why it worked in Halo 3, there were a ton of players. Unfortunately we are not in that place as a community right now, so in this context, i agree with you and think it would be a bad idea to have separate redundant playlists.

I dont agree that having universal settings is a "must" for maintaining a healthy game.  Settings can most certainly be different as long those differences are easy to explain and understand, but of course for that you have to have pretty good vanilla settings to start with.  Is that more what you meant?

Really when you think about it, the success of Halo 3 both commercially and competitively was a miracle.  Not only did you have to change the starting weapon and remove radar (reasonable changes imo), but they also had to introduce drop spawns, increase movement speed and damage by 10%, and make half the competitive maps be Forged midship-esque remakes. the latter set of changes are things that never should have needed to be done if the game was finished properly in the first place. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You made my initial point with your second point.  Ideally, you would be wrong and it would be perfectly viable to have separate playlists with different settings for Halo 5 because we would have a high enough population to support it like CoD and CS have. This is why it worked in Halo 3, there were a ton of players. Unfortunately we are not in that place as a community right now, so in this context, i agree with you and think it would be a bad idea to have separate redundant playlists.

I dont agree that having universal settings is a "must" for maintaining a healthy game.  Settings can most certainly be different as long those differences are easy to explain and understand, but of course for that you have to have pretty good vanilla settings to start with.  Is that more what you meant?

Really when you think about it, the success of Halo 3 both commercially and competitively was a miracle.  Not only did you have to change the starting weapon and remove radar (reasonable changes imo), but they also had to introduce drop spawns, increase movement speed and damage by 10%, and make half the competitive maps be Forged midship-esque remakes. the latter set of changes are things that never should have needed to be done if the game was finished properly in the first place. 

Population is a factor, but I do believe that it is still healthy to have universal settings. I think CoD's competitive scene suffers heavily from it.

An example of good varied settings is Overwatch and League of Legends:

• Overwatch Ranked Play forces a 1 Hero Limit, meaning no duplicate heroes. Slightly restrictive, but simple enough and it makes sense.
  • League of Legends bot matches give new players a tool that lets them see the range of Towers, but when you play a PvP match, these are disabled

They don't want to play them because they are "Casual Maps". There is no such thing as casual maps. There are good maps, and bad maps.

They want to play them because they are new, and because they are DLC maps.

Imagine what a world it would be where our Sustain maps were given the same treatment as Development cycle maps?

Go on Waypoint, they love those maps.

It would be a lot better, but sadly it isn't. My point is in all of this, is at launch for Halo 6, there should be two different settings. When the population is the highest and you need a good first impression, having something for everyone is how you keep players.

You play PC games with the actual arrow keys instead of WASD?  I saw that "Page Up" is for picking up weapons instead of E....

Oh I have keyboard keys assigned to my mouse lol

Use those matches to experiment and improve your game. Don't play them with a singular mindset of winning, but rather play them with the mindset of getting better.

My story continues.

I have now teamed up with a guy (or girl I don't know) gold player and quite good.

Destroying teams and got to plat.

Now for the last two games, found nothing but onxy players and a champion. With plat players on my team.

I am playing terrible as I have been in cruse mode for the last 2 hours